Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I liked Moffett's version of Jekyll actually.

Is that the modern one where it starts with someone getting hired and they cut to a chair with restraints in the middle of a room?

And later theres a govt special forces team after him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
yup

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish The Pretender was better remembered

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Iron Crowned posted:

My family loved that show. Then it ended abruptly. Then they made a finale movie! Then that movie ended abruptly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruceski posted:

My family loved that show. Then it ended abruptly. Then they made a finale movie! Then that movie ended abruptly.

:same:

TNT was supposed to make like 3 or 4 movies, but in true TNT fashion at the time they changed their minds. Looking at you Crusade

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I finished Letterkenny (or caught up on it) and ended up really enjoying it once I kind of got the feel for it and got on the same comedy wavelength. But then it was really hard to enjoy anything else for like a day or two afterwards because I was still in that Letterkenny pacing place and everything else felt "off."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Croatoan posted:

I don't know but considering the shows current quality I would absolutely blame the cyber woman episode on Russell T Davies. He had a super weird hard on to make a kids show weirdly sexual.

There's a lot to unpack here but:

Torchwood wasn't a kid's show?
Chibnall was both the writer and showrunner for the Cyberwoman episode.
There's the adorable behind the scenes video somewhere where RTD seems pretty concerned about the costume, and keeps suggesting that they cover the actress up because she's cold. Which given how hot studios get with their lighting, lol.

But sure, let's vaguely suggest that some guy might maybe be a sex pest because he put a sex joke in a family show. I guess everyone involved in Adventure Time and Steven Universe and The Little Mermaid and definitely Steven Moffat Doctor Who and all your favourite kids shows have super weird hard ons to make kids shows weirdly sexual.

To say nothing of classic who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2NT8fd4Kk

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's a lot to unpack here but:

Torchwood wasn't a kid's show?

I think they meant Dr. Who, which is definitely a kids/family show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I guess everyone involved in Adventure Time and Steven Universe and The Little Mermaid and definitely Steven Moffat Doctor Who and all your favourite kids shows have super weird hard ons to make kids shows weirdly sexual.

The Nickelodeon guy definitely did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The Nickelodeon guy definitely did.

Oh god, what was the deal there?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feet. It’s always feet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
He should have said "Ren and Stimpy guy," HTH

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I never said RTD was a sex pest or even suggested it? WTH?

Also I remember an interview with RTD where he was saying there was nothing wrong with pushing some boundaries with sexuality in regards to Dr. Who because I very much remember it came off as weird. But then in hindsight maybe he was referring to introducing LGBTQ caracters which if that's what he meant, that's cool and good.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 5, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well I ended up watching Dracula and the first two episodes are really pretty decent vampire stories, albeit with some truly awful Moffat dialogue. The third one is just balls out nuts dogshit though, but I almost respect it for how loving stupid it is.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That's a weird weird show. The one half is all wholesome A-Team like with Jarod traveling around solving peoples problems of the week, then the other half of the show is all serialized internal spy intrigue and a lot of it is pretty hosed up. For instance at one time one of the semi regulars is running around killing Vietnamese hookers, which he never gets punished for IIRC.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think Pretender was my first exposure to a show that introduced two more questions for every one answered but had no clue when to stop doing that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rhyno posted:

I had a customer once get absolutely enraged when I said I didn't care for the show. I didn't even say I hated it, just that it didn't work for me anymore. Dude flipped his poo poo and I thought he would actually attack me.

People are batshit crazy man.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

People are batshit crazy man.

Nerds enjoy their slash fiction man. Don't kink shame their shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best was the Star Wars guy who had a literal meltdown because i refused to go see TLJ. Haha gently caress that guy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I finished Letterkenny (or caught up on it) and ended up really enjoying it once I kind of got the feel for it and got on the same comedy wavelength. But then it was really hard to enjoy anything else for like a day or two afterwards because I was still in that Letterkenny pacing place and everything else felt "off."
I haven't sat down to watch the whole thing but someone showed me the Hard Right episode and it was really loving funny.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't sat down to watch the whole thing but someone showed me the Hard Right episode and it was really loving funny.

Mmmm... Tanis

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Revisiting Batman Beyond on my continued tour of cyberpunk media for the first time since I was a teenager. It's a bit breathlessly paced, but it's just way, way better than it has any right to be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Revisiting Batman Beyond on my continued tour of cyberpunk media for the first time since I was a teenager. It's a bit breathlessly paced, but it's just way, way better than it has any right to be.

I remember when it came out I was like 11 and thought it was going to be stupid and not hold up to BTAS at all, and then being crazy hooked from the start. The villains were fantastic, and honestly I think I prefer the Beyond rogue’s gallery to the original.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Haaaaahahaha holy poo poo whoever said to ignore the last 10 minutes and final episode of Dracula couldn't have been more right. Hahaha wow.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
One cool thing about Batman Beyond is that since it premiered in 1999 you can find tons of then-contemporaneous online arguments about it still online. It's neat comparing the general positive reception it has now versus when it premiered and all the big comic book fans hated it because Terry was doing quips and was obviously trying to be more marketable to kids and a lot of the episodes had very obvious morals about high school life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's the best of Batman and the best of Spider-Man in one streamlined package, set in the world of Akira.

But yeah, back when it was airing I remember not fully loving it because "it doesn't feel like Batman." What a dweeb.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was 18 when Batman Beyond happened, so o didn't watch it as much as I wanted to because of adulting and staying out late on Saturdays. I just remember that the radioactive guy reminded me of The Misfits.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

That's a weird weird show. The one half is all wholesome A-Team like with Jarod traveling around solving peoples problems of the week, then the other half of the show is all serialized internal spy intrigue and a lot of it is pretty hosed up. For instance at one time one of the semi regulars is running around killing Vietnamese hookers, which he never gets punished for IIRC.

That's because everyone at The Center, was above the law as well as plain evil, sans maybe Miss Parker. The guy you mentioned was Mr. Lyle, who turned out to be her sister.

There were also clones and poo poo. Yes it plays Saturday afternoons on H&I, how did you know?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is Batman Beyond streaming anywhere?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Is Batman Beyond streaming anywhere?

DC's streaming service basically no one has.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They just put out a remastered version not that long ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah I just bought a used Blu set and it looks teriffic.

e: The only problem with this show is that Batman is a fuckin' cop.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 5, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

They just put out a remastered version not that long ago.

Oh poo poo I didn't know it was out already

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC one problem with the remaster is that they couldn't actually remaster every single episode because there were issues with some of the masters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC one problem with the remaster is that they couldn't actually remaster every single episode because there were issues with some of the masters.

Another problem is that Batman Beyond is bad

:)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

esperterra posted:

gently caress you!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

esperterra posted:

That bong ain’t gonna smoke itself.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

That bong ain’t gonna smoke itself.

I partook of a doobie this morning, tyvm!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

esperterra posted:

I partook of a doobie this morning, tyvm!

The Og Hous has been closed for years

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Batman Beyond having Batman as a broken shut in was something that blew my mind as a kid, but was a perfect setup to a far future Batman sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Batman Beyond videogame when, Rockstar!?!?!