Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Someone other than Canada choking for once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I gotta say craziest world junior I have ever seen

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
:toot: Canada Gold :toot:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1213922835586015235?s=20

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

What a game

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Russia coach about to say the refs had it out for Russia.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
i mean

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Thay certainly was some bullshit at the end there.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I turned to the Vikings game for a minute earlier and apparently there was some no-call involving a camera? What happened exactly?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hand Knit posted:

the end of this game deserved far better

Yeah, the russians got screwed on that call

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hahhha, what the gently caress was that finish. Gotta feel for the Russian on that blown camera call.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Did they no call the camera thing because there isn't something in the rulebooks dealing with a puck hitting some object on the way out of play I wonder.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A fitting end to the loving gong show of officiating this whole tournament has been

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/iihf_wjc/status/1213924248156278796
https://twitter.com/iihf_wjc/status/1213924512024186885

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Giving the referees the gold medal trophy for the no call on the camera.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
surely the rivalry is now settled

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Le Saboteur posted:

Did they no call the camera thing because there isn't something in the rulebooks dealing with a puck hitting some object on the way out of play I wonder.

Only thing I can think of is similar to how in the NHL when the puck hits the score board or something and the play is just blown dead.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Starks posted:

I turned to the Vikings game for a minute earlier and apparently there was some no-call involving a camera? What happened exactly?

Canada cleared the puck over the glass while shorthanded which would have given Russia 1:30 of 6-on-3

Except it hit a camera mounted on top of the glass. It hit the camera over the glass, and would have gone out if the camera was not there, but it wasn't ruled a penalty for reasons nobody is sure of :shrug:

Then Russia took two dumb (deserved) penalties and that was it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1213924529363472384?s=19

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

One of the Russian players should whang his silver medal at that camera.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Oh man, the anthem. Do they take their helmets off???

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I wonder if Hofer will make it in the pros

There's been a few goalies who convinced people they had what it took by playing great in both major junior and the tourney only to not do much in the pros, like Maxime Ouellet or Justin Pogge

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1213926894145622016

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Can Hayton even lift this trophy over his head

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Lafrenière tournament MVP. I can't remember the last time a pre-draft player was tournament MVP

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Hand Knit posted:

Lafrenière tournament MVP. I can't remember the last time a pre-draft player was tournament MVP

He was clearly the best player on the ice every time he was on the ice. I thibk you'd be hard pressed to find a shift where he didn't make something happen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Lindros?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Not rigorous or anything but I think Tavares in 2009.

e: Oh, I guess there's Puljujarvi in 2016.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
I can’t believe Canada won that game. Officiating, as usual in this tournament, was questionable at best and really had a hand in the result of this game. That said, what a meltdown by Russia and what a third period by this group.

What a tournament by Hayton too. No offense to Alexis but Hayton should probably be MVP. Very impressed by that kids ability and determination.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well, that was a gigantic shitshow. A fun shitshow, but gigantic.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

grack posted:

Well, that was a gigantic shitshow. A fun shitshow, but gigantic.

I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Are country! Are Sport etc! :canada:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Kale posted:

Are country! Are Sport etc! :canada:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The worst chant. I'm very happy it never caught on.

So the reffing was horrible in this tournament right? It's like the refs were picking up some of the commission of the guy who wrote the penalty song.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1213934930654322689

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ilmucche posted:

So the reffing was horrible in this tournament right? It's like the refs were picking up some of the commission of the guy who wrote the penalty song.

Most of the actual penalty calls were alright/soft euro stuff we always complain about.

Any time they had to review a call, though, it took way too long and usually ended up wrong somehow.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

ilmucche posted:

I think the reffing in this tournament is always dog poo poo because the refs they have don’t see this speed or intensity much before they get put on the spot. I don’t have the time or effort to follow this up but that’s always been my theory. That game today was an incredible pace, moreso than almost any other game in the tourney and certainly more than any other non world championship game, so it’s probably hard for them to keep up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Was it on little ice? That could be part of it? The arenas I've seen in europe (mostly uk and one or two in Spain/France) looked liked nhl size ice.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Barret Hayton is pretty badass and looks more like a character from the Mighty Ducks franchise than any Jr. Forward I think I've ever seen at this tournament. Like a Fulton Reed or something along those lines.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Was it on little ice? That could be part of it? The arenas I've seen in europe (mostly uk and one or two in Spain/France) looked liked nhl size ice.

I'm pretty sure these rinks were what's sometimes called the "Finnish standard." 28 meters wide, they're halfway between the Olympic (30 m) and NHL (26 m) sized rinks.