Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't want to go into the thread for spoilers but regarding The Witcher; is anything actually achieved by making the timeline of the show non-linear or is just for a twist or showing stuff off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Batman Beyond videogame when, Rockstar!?!?!

Batman Beyond was a costume in one of the Arkham games, at least.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't want to go into the thread for spoilers but regarding The Witcher; is anything actually achieved by making the timeline of the show non-linear or is just for a twist or showing stuff off?

It's not a twist. They don't make an attempt to hide it and there isn't some big gotcha reveal moment. It's just how they chose to do it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Batman Beyond having Batman as a broken shut in was something that blew my mind as a kid, but was a perfect setup to a far future Batman sequel.

I thought that Christopher Nolan's the dark Knight returns was inspired by both the dark Knight returns and Batman beyond.

I could only imagine how awesome a Christopher Nolan Batman returns elseworld film would be with them sticking to the actual storyline of the comic book. That would've been so loving awesome. Considering his whole trilogy was against fascism I would love to see his take on Superman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dark Knight sucks as much as Batman Beyond.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The comic or the movie? Because the comic is awesome

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, they give you big clues about it via dialogue/etc from episode one. It's not a twist at all, just the only way to tell the short stories without relegating Yennefer to the back three episodes and Ciri to like the finale. They're all main characters in the saga, but those two are barely in the first two short story collections.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After watching a good deal more Batman Beyond today, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd actually call it cyberpunk. Aesthetically it nails it, and episodes often deal with stories that center around transhumanism, virtual reality, genetic splicing, etc, but there's no larger critique of the power structures, the show isn't at all critical of the government or the military outside of individual bad actors, and at no point do Terry or Bruce have to challenge authority in any meaningful way. In other words, no "punk."

Terry starts out as a criminal with a heart of gold, becomes a vigilante in-name-only, and just turns into a super-powered cop.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Norwegian Rudo posted:

That's a weird weird show. The one half is all wholesome A-Team like with Jarod traveling around solving peoples problems of the week, then the other half of the show is all serialized internal spy intrigue and a lot of it is pretty hosed up. For instance at one time one of the semi regulars is running around killing Vietnamese hookers, which he never gets punished for IIRC.

I really loved this show when I was a kid and it taught me (for better or worse) that you can be anything if you study it, show up, and insist you're an expert. Also, that woman who was hunting him was one of my earliest TV crushes I that I can remember.

Mini reviews:
The only thing good about The Witcher is the witcher. Neat character, cool fights, otherwise its just Xenia Warrior Princess B-roll without the charm. I cannot understand how it was so expensive when it looks like a Sci-Fi production.

Dark Materials:
How is a show about armored bears and poo poo so boring? I mean, its OK but I don't care about anything.

Joe Pera:
I smiled so hard in the second episode. I love that one of the running gags is that everyone else lives in the real world but their reality never quite reaches joe. Such a deeply sensitive show.

I miss Deadly Class:
The show had some issues but it was such an on-target throwback show for me. Slick, shockingly well produced, great throwback material, cool (if kinda problamatic) characters etc. Shame it didn't get a second season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

False posted:

I miss Deadly Class:
The show had some issues but it was such an on-target throwback show for me. Slick, shockingly well produced, great throwback material, cool (if kinda problamatic) characters etc. Shame it didn't get a second season.

All of my friends were raving about Umbrella Academy, which was alright, but they refused to watch Deadly Class despite me telling them how amazing it was.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem with the three timelines in The Witcher is one of them follows a woman whose defining feature is that she doesn't visibly age and another one with a guy who has gray hair even when he's "young".

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

END ME SCOOB posted:

It is hilariously bad and I will also second that it's good until that last hour.

The last hour ruins everything that made the series good to that point.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

After watching a good deal more Batman Beyond today, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'd actually call it cyberpunk. Aesthetically it nails it, and episodes often deal with stories that center around transhumanism, virtual reality, genetic splicing, etc, but there's no larger critique of the power structures, the show isn't at all critical of the government or the military outside of individual bad actors, and at no point do Terry or Bruce have to challenge authority in any meaningful way. In other words, no "punk."

Terry starts out as a criminal with a heart of gold, becomes a vigilante in-name-only, and just turns into a super-powered cop.

There are a few that focus on specific power structures, in particular the school-to-prison pipeline episode and the personality tests and AI-based screening being used by schools and criminal justice episodes that feels really ahead of their time considering those are both problems that have become very prominent in the past few years.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've started watching You on Netflix because you guys wouldn't shut up about it and I don't think I'm in the right psychological space to watch it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I can only watch two episodes at a time before I get too anxious.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The Witcher needed the Ciri plotline to fill out the b roll when Yennifer and Geralts timeline intertwined but there's no reason they couldn't have brought her story in later rather than padding it out throughout the season

You is pretty good but I wish we had more inner monologues from other people

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone watching the Golden Globes?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Josh Lyman posted:

i never have in my life but it came after football....i think i like ricky gervais tonight?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ricky just took everyone to task for working for corporations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I need a screenshot of very uncomfortable Tom Hanks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gervais is a huge transphobic shitlord fwiw

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Josh Lyman posted:

Yep! Some really uncomfortable faces in the crowd after some of Gervais' jokes and it is great

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

Yep! Some really uncomfortable faces in the crowd after some of Gervais' jokes and it is great

Literately the only reason I'm watching

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF how does Jared Harris not win for Chernobyl?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the way jennifer aniston just said "brush fires in Australia" made me geek out

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Didn't he take the piss out of a satirical fictional character, or did i miss a tweet?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Josh Lyman posted:

WTF how does Jared Harris not win for Chernobyl?

yeah this surprised me. I didn't see the Russell Crowe whateveritwas but come on, Jared Harris was is always fantastic

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

yeah this surprised me. I didn't see the Russell Crowe whateveritwas but come on, Jared Harris was is always fantastic

It was about the media and the awards are voted on by media.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahaha holy poo poo Stellan Skarsgaard owns

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Very happy for the first Chernobyl win.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo Stellan Skarsgaard owns

I love that he walked off the way he came instead of backstage to the press.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Is it just me, or do they seem determined to get through this as quickly as possible? Not complaining, it just feels weird.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Escobarbarian posted:

Also he was never funny and people patting themselves on the back for chuckling at his conformity-for-noncomforists hosting gig at the Golden Globes for half a decade straight absolutely deserve to be defending why they think an insufferable transphobe is actually cool and smart.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Gervais is a dickhead transphobe but that opening had me cackling. They all look so uncomfortable and that Tom Hanks GIF is gonna be good.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

wuggles posted:

Gervais is a dickhead transphobe but that opening had me cackling. They all look so uncomfortable and that Tom Hanks GIF is gonna be good.

I don't know if he's legit trying to get fired mid-show, but he's gonna have to bring out the ultra offensive jokes at this point if the "foreign press are vegetables" didn't land.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
When Phoebe won for Fleabag my wife punched me in the gut and told me we are watching it next.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I’m watching because I have money on Barry or Mrs. Maisel for best musical or comedy TV show and Frozen II for best animated movie. But I want to watch...all this stuff.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pierce Brosnan’s oldest son is Harris Trinsky apparently

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pierce Brosnan is currently filming the next KFC ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
It's funny to talk for a long time.