Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Fartington Butts posted:

Yo goons. Does anybody know of a good sorta-easy pozole recipe? Everything I've searched for has either required two dozen ingredients or not nearly enough (Rick Bayless' is asking for shredded chicken wtf.)

Thinkin' 'bout making this on Sunday so suggestions would kick some rear end.

These two recipes are very easy to make. They're technically not pozole recipes*, but they become pozole if you add a bunch of hominy at the end of cooking. They're quick, easy, and delicious. Note that they're both green pozole, and you might be more accustomed to the red variety.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

*As with pizza, martinis, and almost everything else, people will argue over what "authentic" pozole is. As far as I can tell, the only requirement for "real" pozole is "hominy in a soup." It has to have hominy, and has to be a relatively thin, soup-like broth, not a thick, stew-like cream. Beyond that, there are infinite varieties. The last time I was in DF, we went to a dedicated pozole restaurant that had almost 20 different types of pozole. The green pork and green chicken pozole were nearly identical to the two recipes above.

EDIT: I stand corrected about the "thin, soup-like broth." Apparently New Mexicans make a thicker, stew-like pozole, which sounds awesome.

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I like that there are different kinds of pozole! I was just enamored with the one I was served in Reseda.

Really, though, most Mexican cooking is like that, the country has a lot of different regions. And then you have a dish like cerviche, where pretty much every coastal town in the Americas has their own version of.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Best You Tube videos on knife skills?
I'm going to buy a dozen tomatoes today and practice dicing them. I'd like to watch some videos to improve my skills.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well for dicing tomatoes your biggest challenge is having a sharp enough knife

imo if you want to practice knife skills start with onions

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Suggestions for Instant Pot pho?

Also, I know this is a weird question: are there any reasonable substitution for the noodles that is mostly or completely carb-free? A vegetable-based solution is probably ok.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a ramen thread? I looked around a bit but I didn't see one.

Edit: there's a general Japanese food thread, nvm

Heath fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 5, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Funktor posted:

Suggestions for Instant Pot pho?

Also, I know this is a weird question: are there any reasonable substitution for the noodles that is mostly or completely carb-free? A vegetable-based solution is probably ok.

I've never done it, but you can make meat noodles using transglutaminase or other fun chemicals, if you're looking beyond spaghetti squash and spuralized zucchini.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/shrimp-noodles-smoked-yogurt-nori-powder-recipe-2203764

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/these-chicken-noodles-are-made-out-of-chicken-it-s-a-little-crazy-also-delicious

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bagheera posted:

*As with pizza, martinis, and almost everything else, people will argue over what "authentic" pozole is.

I know I will probably regret asking, but how does one make an inauthentic martini? Surely a martini is a martini, and things that aren’t martinis are called something else?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Scientastic posted:

I know I will probably regret asking, but how does one make an inauthentic martini? Surely a martini is a martini, and things that aren’t martinis are called something else?

I imagine the question is whether or not you can make a martini with anything other than gin as your base

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Are there any changes I should make if I'm using homemade buttermilk from cultured butter in something like pancakes instead of modern buttermilk? I know that what we get now is basically soured skim milk, but I don't know what true buttermilk is like to work with.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I feel like such a dingus but what's the easiest way to fill a peppermill with pepper from a bag? it seems so fiddly and time consuming. I basically just want to be able to pour it in somehow. A funnel won't really work unless the holes are the same diameter on top of having to maneuver the bag and funnel with one hand each. Am I overthinking this/being a big baby about taking the time to slowly fill it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I bought this funnel for making infused booze, and it is coincidentally perfect for filling my pepper mill.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

A martini is gin and vermouth in either a 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 ratio. It came from a variation on the Martinez cocktail originating from the Occidental Hotel here in SF in the 1860s. If vodka is the base, it’s a variation on a Kangaroo cocktail. A lot of people think they are interchangeable or that anything in a martini glass is a “martini” but those are colloquialisms and inaccurate.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Roll up a sheet of printer paper into a cone. Half the sheet if needed. Jiggle and wiggle and you can adjust on the fly.

I made a drill bit type thingy for my peppermill that I attach to my battery operated drill. I stole the idea from Alton Brown and have never regretted it. Fresh pepper is nice.

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 6, 2020

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
I find that a pastry bag works well for my pepper mill, but I also have a spice funnel and it is amazing how many uses there are for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

I bought this funnel for making infused booze, and it is coincidentally perfect for filling my pepper mill.

I think I have the same one and yes it works okay but I think at the end of the day there's almost no truly error proof way to do it

even with that funnel it backs up unless you trickle the peppercorns into the funnel very slowly

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I buy pepper from Penzey’s in their ziploc bags. I open them and roll the top over so I can pour without hitting the zipper. Make a little point and it works great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, I'm going on a date this Friday, the woman is hosting and I really like her. She wants to cook lamb shanks and necks, but has no idea what to do with them. I've never worked with lamb, either. Help?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BraveUlysses posted:

I think I have the same one and yes it works okay but I think at the end of the day there's almost no truly error proof way to do it

even with that funnel it backs up unless you trickle the peppercorns into the funnel very slowly

Yes, it does back up. I generally trickle them in quite slowly and use the time to think about witty responses to people who don’t like beans in chilli

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

you ate my cat posted:

Are there any changes I should make if I'm using homemade buttermilk from cultured butter in something like pancakes instead of modern buttermilk? I know that what we get now is basically soured skim milk, but I don't know what true buttermilk is like to work with.

The purpose of buttermilk in most recipes that use it is to provide fat and acid, so a long as it's got milkfats and is acidic from the bacterial culture, you should be fine.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is it worth it to make lasagna noodles from scratch? Is it still worth it if you don't have a pasta roller?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Timby posted:

So, I'm going on a date this Friday, the woman is hosting and I really like her. She wants to cook lamb shanks and necks, but has no idea what to do with them. I've never worked with lamb, either. Help?

Advise her to never cook something for the first time when hosting.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Timby posted:

Both of those cuts of lamb need long cooking. Lamb neck is best in stews and lamb shanks are wonderful in a long braise. Look to British cooks for recipe ideas like Gordon Ramsey etc.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Olive! posted:

Is it worth it to make lasagna noodles from scratch? Is it still worth it if you don't have a pasta roller?

Yes from scratch, probably no without a roller if you've never made before. Rolling thin pasta sheets by hand is moderately time consuming. Whenever I do from scratch lasagna it is an all day affair and I make 4-6.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Advise her to never cook something for the first time when hosting.

What a horrifically boring and obnoxious statement.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What a horrifically boring and obnoxious statement.

It's not bad advice though, even if its not something you could actually, directly say to someone? I generally like to know that a recipe actually works and is good before I bring it out to feed other people.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Olive! posted:

Yes it definitely is, and personally I wouln't worry about not having a pasta roller. I have one, but I don't do my lasagna noodles in it. It's kind of satisfying to roll them by hand.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pookah posted:

It's not bad advice though, even if its not something you could actually, directly say to someone? I generally like to know that a recipe actually works and is good before I bring it out to feed other people.

OTOH, cooking a new dish together as a date is a p good time, even if you gently caress up and have to order pizza.

Edit: IMO it's way different if you're having a dinner and inviting people over versus hanging out with someone and cooking a new dish together.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 6, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Nephzinho posted:

Yes from scratch, probably no without a roller if you've never made before. Rolling thin pasta sheets by hand is moderately time consuming. Whenever I do from scratch lasagna it is an all day affair and I make 4-6.

Pretty much this. A lasagna from scratch means Bolognese so it's going to take a minute.

My old roller disappeared but I got a Salt brand pasta roller from bed bath and beyond for like $35. It's 95% as good as the Italian brand.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Casu Marzu posted:

OTOH, cooking a new dish together as a date is a p good time, even if you gently caress up and have to order pizza.

Edit: IMO it's way different if you're having a dinner and inviting people over versus hanging out with someone and cooking a new dish together.

Yeah it's this. I inferred there'd be other guests at the date because of the word "hosting" so I guess that's on me. I didn't mean to sound so harsh.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My wife and I have trusted recipe sources we'll do for the first time for guests. Ina Garten or Bon Appetit could tell me to jump off a bridge and I would tbh

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh yeah, that's true - I forget that I am a v. grumpy cook who does not share cooking space easily. I made a m'hanncha for the first time a few weeks ago and if that thing had had ears they would have been scorched the hell off with the amount of cursing I was doing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I bake fresh bread rolls today, are they still going to be nice tomorrow, or do they turn stale very quickly? I did a batch a couple of weeks ago and they got a little less enjoyable to eat the following day, is there a preferred way of storing them? We have loads of sandwich filler so I want to churn out 12 rolls to eat over the next 3 days, but I'd rather not go through the headache if they're just gonna end up stale as cardboard after a few hours.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

They're best on the day, but if you throw them in a plastic or waxed paper bag once they have cooled completely they'll keep for a couple days.

If you bag them hot they'll still be putting out a little steam and will get mushy in the bag.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Qubee posted:

If I bake fresh bread rolls today, are they still going to be nice tomorrow, or do they turn stale very quickly? I did a batch a couple of weeks ago and they got a little less enjoyable to eat the following day, is there a preferred way of storing them? We have loads of sandwich filler so I want to churn out 12 rolls to eat over the next 3 days, but I'd rather not go through the headache if they're just gonna end up stale as cardboard after a few hours.

If it fits your schedule, you could parbake them and then finish them day-of either in your oven or (assuming they'll fit with adequate clearance) in a toaster oven.
Definitely heed Liquid Communism's advice on completely cooling them before storage.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Favorite cheeses and cheese combinations for grilled cheese? Also what kind of non-tomato soup do you like to go with them?*

*Tomato soup is the best choice obviously.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Cooked a Ribeye in a cast iron a couple days back and lordy - it rendered out a lot of fat.

Now I have a thick layer of beef fat in my skillet and I'm wondering if I should cook something in it. Maybe asparagus/onions/mushrooms to go along with the next steak I cook.

Never sauteed in suet before though. Is this a good idea?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^^^
not sure if you should use fat that's been sitting out for days, could have started to spoil

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Favorite cheeses and cheese combinations for grilled cheese? Also what kind of non-tomato soup do you like to go with them?*

*Tomato soup is the best choice obviously.

what about noncheese additions? I like chopped kimchi in my grilled cheeses

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BraveUlysses posted:

what about noncheese additions? I like chopped kimchi in my grilled cheeses

This. Really any fermented or pickled vegetable is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, I'm sorry if I've overlooked something obvious, but is there some recommended cook book or website? I ask because I'm frustrated with just about every recipe I find online, not with the recipe itself but with the bloat and advertising of the sites; I'd gladly make a one time purchase to get a list of basic recipes without all that trash.