Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's incredibly depressing from a comedic standpoint that one of the loving Pythons decided to retreat to the "I should just declare myself a different race/gender/sexuality right here and now so I'm suddenly a victim" poo poo that was old and tired years ago.

As much as I love 80s and 90s Gilliam he's always had this reactionary streak to him being mad at big gubmint telling him what to do. I watched Baron Munchausen lately and one of opening scenes is a bunch of tired Boomer jokes about the government of the Age of Reason, like having a war hero executed because his performance being so good would be demoralizing to the rest of the fighters, and "oh you identify as a woman well I identify as an attack helicopter, owned much? :smuggo:" fits right in with that.

Plus Monty Python's Flying Circus is like 80% by volume "man in dress pretends to be woman, audience laughs", it's pretty hard to go back to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1213957099509735426

Give Benoit Blanc a Bah-ston accent or I walk

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1211446534333718534

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Make Kelly Marie Tran the stealth protagonist

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

D+ I think. I legitimately believe this is the moment that changed A24.

Are you referring to Uncut Gems? Because it’s one of A24’s most profitable movies ever apparently, so I’m not too sure they’re concerned.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Pirate Jet posted:

Are you referring to Uncut Gems? Because it’s one of A24’s most profitable movies ever apparently, so I’m not too sure they’re concerned.

I think he's talking about The Witch's CinemaScore. Could be wrong about that, tho

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Could be worse there are people who judge a movie's quality by their cinemasin score.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Benoit Bond

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Macksy posted:

Could be worse there are people who judge a movie's quality by their cinemasin score.

Could be worse there are people so fragile they pitch a fit at the existence of literally any metric of how other people reacted to a film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bows1 posted:

Stop looking at asinine ratings of movies ? Cinema score is lol awful and rotten tomatoes should only serve as an aggregator of reviews if you want to read then , not as a score of the movie. Your playing yourself

Even the gamers figured this out by now, review scores are the worst.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just saw Knives Out last night and the new accent every movie thing should be real, I will go see every sequel opening night if they do it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even the gamers figured this out by now, review scores are the worst.

Gamers are obsessed with review scores, how else would they know who to sexually harass?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If r/movies has taught me anything, it's that they are obsessed with RottenTomatoes scores, and with building websites that recommend you new movies to watch based on what you just watched prior (I see a thread with a new site that does that like every month)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Most Golden Globe wins this year have been pretty obvious so far, but Laika's Missing Link actually won Best Animated Film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

There’s certainly no missing link in China’s 9 dash line!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The MSJ posted:

Most Golden Globe wins this year have been pretty obvious so far, but Laika's Missing Link actually won Best Animated Film.
It bombed pretty badly but the critics liked it.

I'm surprised it wasn't Toy Story 4.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

There’s certainly no missing link in China’s 9 dash line!

That was Abominable, the one with Chloe Bennett and the furry poster.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

It bombed pretty badly but the critics liked it.

I'm surprised it wasn't Toy Story 4.

Toy Story 4 felt like three different TV specials haphazardly mashed up into a feature.length film, I'm glad it didn't win. I will say though that whatever leap in lighting technology happened before it was made was extraordinary because there are a lot of scenes in that movie that just look real in a way nothing else Pixar or anyone else has put out does.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Toy Story 4 felt like three different TV specials haphazardly mashed up into a feature.length film, I'm glad it didn't win. I will say though that whatever leap in lighting technology happened before it was made was extraordinary because there are a lot of scenes in that movie that just look real in a way nothing else Pixar or anyone else has put out does.
I didn’t like it, and I agree, but usually Pixar tends to win these awards

Last year they lost the Oscar to Into the Spider-Verse which was one of the few times the Academy got something right

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sort of related to this thread is the fact that the writer of Scary Movies 3 and 4 and Superhero Movie won a GG for Best Limited Series, that series being Chernobyl. It pays to be versatile.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Sort of related to this thread is the fact that the writer of Scary Movies 3 and 4 and Superhero Movie won a GG for Best Limited Series, that series being Chernobyl. It pays to be versatile.

Don't those movies always have like 20 writers?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress

the hangover guy is gonna win for joker huh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Making bad things is generally considered to be required practice for making good things.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The MSJ posted:

That's just one of those things where the GG tries to correct a mistake, he really won the award for surviving being roommates with Ted Cruz

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress

Or since Todd Phillips made a Scorsese fan film, they can just give it to Scorsese himself.

Or give Sam Mendes best director, because 1917 might just be impressive enough for him and Roger Deakins to win, while awarding Best Picture to The Irishman.

Rochallor posted:

That's just one of those things where the GG tries to correct a mistake, he really won the award for surviving being roommates with Ted Cruz

No wonder, Craig Mazin had experience with both incompetent character and radioactive personality.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Maybe a stupid question, but what's the real difference between the Golden Globes and the Oscars?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Leavemywife posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but what's the real difference between the Golden Globes and the Oscars?

Ultimately? Bigger voting pool. HFPA is like 100 people or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

We know the reason AMPAS exists, unlike the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How much of an impact did that Gervais hosting make at all? I actually had to go out of my way to look for people tweeting about it which is kinda unusual considering it's his usual "wa wa I'm smarter than u" that the right seem to love

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Saddest Rhino posted:

How much of an impact did that Gervais hosting make at all? I actually had to go out of my way to look for people tweeting about it which is kinda unusual considering it's his usual "wa wa I'm smarter than u" that the right seem to love

The chuds are glued to Fox News 24/7, so I'm sure you'll find more crocodile tears as they start reporting on whatever they want them to be offended over as the day goes on.

Also, I'm not sure that many people even really watch the award shows anymore, I know I don't.

I remember growing up, whenever there was an award show, you didn't have much else you could tune to, if the Oscars were on, the other 3 channels were reruns or other crap you probably wouldn't normally watch anyway.

Now you have too many options to fill that time with, most Sunday nights for me involve streaming something, so for me it was business as usual, and I just watched some more of The Witcher.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress

Doesn’t sound like it

Mendes won for Director and that was considered an upset since I think both Tarantino and Scorsese were favored but I could be wrong

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

It's easier to bribe the HFPA.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm referring to the Witch getting a D and this being borne out with the general audience reaction, I think they were spooked by the fact that people apparently walked out of it feeling cheated rather than hailing it as a masterpiece. From that point on, the way they promoted their films changed to the point that it's comically overdone, they have completely cultivated "A24 fans" who are ready for anything that studio has to offer, rather than trying to convince general audiences to give their movies a shot and getting mad when they don't get The Conjuring or something.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm referring to the Witch getting a D and this being borne out with the general audience reaction, I think they were spooked by the fact that people apparently walked out of it feeling cheated rather than hailing it as a masterpiece. From that point on, the way they promoted their films changed to the point that it's comically overdone, they have completely cultivated "A24 fans" who are ready for anything that studio has to offer, rather than trying to convince general audiences to give their movies a shot and getting mad when they don't get The Conjuring or something.

Okay, yes, I agree with that take completely. The newfound cargo cult around A24 like they’re not a corporation marketing to a niche, but are actually the last bastion of great cinema, weirds me the gently caress out.

Hi CelticPredator, it’s real cute of you to snip at me from on high in the Discord, but you know I read that poo poo too right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A24 puts out very weird poo poo and I'm happy there's someone out there that's just burning money to be interesting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

A24 puts out very weird poo poo and I'm happy there's someone out there that's just burning money to be interesting.

Except they’ve been generally profitable.

If you want “burning money to be interesting,” you can look at Annapurna, the pet project of a billionaire’s daughter, who thought she could just throw money at any script that looks good and that would make for a successful company.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

Okay, yes, I agree with that take completely. The newfound cargo cult around A24 like they’re not a corporation marketing to a niche, but are actually the last bastion of great cinema, weirds me the gently caress out.

It's very similar to the Mondo posters, basically.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The VVitch was good. Not something that I want to watch over and over, but it's really effective at what it sets out to be. Uncut Gems on the other hand is terrible, by far the worst thing I saw in theaters last year. Made all worse since I know it's all going to go right to Sandler's head.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

:same:

I'll pretty much always watch an A24 film when I spot it on streaming. They've had a few that have missed for me but they're always at least visually nice to look at, or have some hook that I at least don't feel like I've wasted my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is no value judgement on The VVitch by the way, except for the part that I acknowledge part of the reason I enjoyed it so much is because people were audibly and visibly disgusted at the showing I went to.