Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Insulting bushfire victims. Bold move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm amazed he has that much of a following to be honest.

Take comfort in the fact that he will die sooner than later.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

teacup posted:

Insulting bushfire victims. Bold move

And firefighters.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The thing is, even if Newman was right about the "real cause of the bushfires" (which presumably is the usual "greens won't allow backburning" bullshit that is demonstrably false), the people not shaking Scott Morrison's hand weren't talking about that. They were just pissed off that they were receiving practically no aid, which was apparently true in previous times of disaster as well.

Like, come up with your alternative reality for why Australia is burning to a loving crisp if you want, but the recovery effort is led by the government, and Morrison is the PM. Who else are they supposed to express their discontent to?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Spedman posted:

lol

Also, living in the Docklands will make anyone miserable

My best mate lives in the docklands and its really not that bad at all. There isnt a lot to see or do but theres a few decent restaurants and honestly you're so close to the city that you can be in chinatown in less then 10 minutes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's a real shame whoever slid into Newman's back and destroyed one of his kidneys didn't get both of them.

loving Collingwood can't do anything right.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
How does the former host of a cancelled show manage to remain so relevant?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

gay picnic defence posted:

He is the voice of the voiceless, the quiet Australians! The only person out there "telling it like it is"!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

He should have been wrapped around a tree, not spud

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Because there are so few people willing to play the "I say ignorant poo poo in an authoritative tone of voice to make bigots feel better about their lovely viewpoints" now, so we're stuck with whichever morons still are. Same reason "Jeremy Clarkson says something really loving stupid" is apparently news.

In actual footy news, apparently some 195cm Gaelic football star, Cathal McShane, is looking to play AFL and join the Crows? He was originally linked to Brisbane but they're full up on Cat B players or whatever category it is the Irish recruits fall into.

He was the lead scorer in the most recent season of Gaelic footy and was listed at full forward in the All Stars team, which is their version of the All Australian team.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...352bb82ca1b2c15

Apparently his team, Tyrone, are pretty pissed off because it's the Gaelic Athletic Association that arranged it. They're arguing (probably fairly) that it does nothing for Gaelic football to lose the best forward in the sport to another code in another country. They're calling for the GAA to cut ties with the AFL altogether.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 6, 2020

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Won't stop them from wanting to bail on Ireland

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
At the end of the day, the allure of playing professionally and being paid decent money even as a rookie is always going to be pretty big.

Hell, even if the money wasn't huge it's still alluring. Irish import Ailish Considine for the Crows AFLW team basically said that just the idea of playing sport professionally was the primary lure in coming over and giving it a go.

Although I have to say, Gaelic Footy looks like a great spectator sport. If I was over there I reckon I'd be a fan.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Leaving Ireland is a proud Irish tradition

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

cmndstab posted:

Apparently his team, Tyrone, are pretty pissed off because it's the Gaelic Athletic Association that arranged it. They're arguing (probably fairly) that it does nothing for Gaelic football to lose the best forward in the sport to another code in another country. They're calling for the GAA to cut ties with the AFL altogether.

So is the GAA angling for a transfer fee or what? Would be even more hilarious if they just did it for exposure. So dumb.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I assume the idea is that the athletics association just wants to look for the best opportunities for their athletes (or, more cynically, wants to be able to advertise that they do). If McShane can earn six figures playing sports overseas, they can say to future athletes "join up and you might get similar opportunities as well."

Mind you, he hasn't accepted any offer yet, and hasn't even committed to wanting to leave. At this stage it's just a tryout from the perspective of both him and the Crows.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

quote:

Unsurprisingly, Jones’ parents were rapt when they found their son would be calling the No. 3 guernsey his own in 2020.

“I rang up my folks and one of the first things they said was, ‘oh, you know Nathan Burke wore the No. 3’,” Jones told saints.com.au.

“‘You know we named your brother after him’.”

Today I learned!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'm still mad the Saints traded Acres.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
State of Origin might make a return for a bushfire charity match

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Buddys in doubt for round 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/lance-franklin-a-chance-for-round-one-after-knee-surgery/11852046

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

drunkill posted:

State of Origin might make a return for a bushfire charity match

Likely be Vic's v All Stars, which sucks rear end

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Another VFL wankfest, the one time it'd be good to follow the lead of US sports and go East v West and they ignore it

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

That all said it's a good donation they're making between all parties

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I get they have a lot of talent in Victoria so there would be worries of us being too dominant but it’s one team and it’s for charity, why not just have either states or if you don’t want to then at least have like sa / wa / nt vs east.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I've long thought the Vic vs All Stars could be good if done right. It doesn't have to be the afterthought that people see it as - the All Stars could be viewed like the Barbarians invitational team, something to aspire to, and everyone outside of Vic could enjoy pummelling the Vics year after year.

I know we miss the full state of origin but unlike the NRL version it lacks the fact that the best players of the sport are in the match. That's what makes it better quality than the NRL grand final. But all players need to be made available, it needs the breathing space to be its own annual thing, and it needs to be marketed well. And I do think it needs to be Vic vs The Rest rather than two brand new teams - it's better to have one team with the history and arrogance at the outset, as it gives the new team and its supporters a desire to beat them and forge their own. And Vic is the obvious choice.

Personally I don't like the name "All Stars" or the guernsey - I'd rather a strong, traditional-looking top that still clashes well against the Vics - but I could live with it if the event is taken seriously. It's the "just for fun" atmosphere that makes me disinterested in its current form.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, it was good when State of Origin was Vics vs SA one year, then Vics vs WA the next. True that is insanely Vic-centric, but at the time, it was a Victorian competition, (even moreso than now.). The problem with that is you leave out not only a bunch of great footballers from NSW Queensland and Tasmania, you leave out Sydney and Brisbane, which have 4 teams and are where the AFL is putting their marketing hopes.

I also think the "All Stars" name is a problem. It sounds made up, the jersey is not seen as anything to aspire to, (as opposed to the Vic jersye, or the old SA and WA ones), as well as being ugly. Vics vs "the rest" doesn't solve that problem either.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The answer is a 4 team round robin tournament of several games, with the winner ranked on wins losses and percentage

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The money donated is for a good cause so it’s hard to be too annoyed by it. Also, Essendon is so poo poo that we will likely barely have any players feature which means no real risk of injuries for us :smug:

But yeah it’s hard to imagine it’ll be anything amazing to watch. If anything it’ll be like the NBA all star game - all offence and very little defence as no one wants to risk injury. Probably pretty free flowing and high scoring. Which will be funny if the footy media decide to spin that as a great sign that scoring is about to skyrocket this year

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
They should only name them all stars if they come out to smash mouth imo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Sounds like Heppell is losing the dreads to raise a bit of cash for the bushfires

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Sounds like Heppell is losing the dreads to raise a bit of cash for the bushfires

He should offer to only shave one half if someone doubles the final amount raised.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
He looks old!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Forum Joe posted:

He looks old!

loving glue them back on :stonk:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Those Leongatha boys sure are handsome fellas

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/carltonfc_w/status/1216645954205470720

https://twitter.com/kez_harrington/status/1216643355410452480

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The 2008 game wasn't too bad (poo poo that's a long time ago now), granted there's never going to be too much fizz in these things but better than AFLX or whatever. If it turns into a goal fest so be it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Another one out for Melbourne.3 weeks from the start of the season.

https://twitter.com/MelbourneAFLW/status/1217209729715322880?s=20

Speaking of, someone should make a 2020 thread with updated info. 20 days to aflw, 60 for afl and preseason & state of origin games inbetween.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
On the one hand, that’s really poo poo at this late notice

On the other hand, I can’t blame anyone choosing a stable career over the shitshow of AFL’s treatment of the women’s league

Most importantly though, all cops are bastards so she can gently caress right off

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I can't wait until they start paying AFLW players a decent loving wage so we stop having elite players say "actually I'm just going to avoid playing footy so I can focus on my generic 9-5 job instead". Really doesn't help make AFLW look like a serious comp.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/OzKitsch/status/1217608435899830272?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Writing the new thread OP because what better way to waste most of a Sunday.

It's mostly cleaning up editing drunkill's OP to be honest - just adding a short thing for the Vic/Allstars thing as well as the needed updates.