Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There were some hidden files in the iOS port where the beta mission of Luigi's Girls' was slightly different. You were supposed to also pick up Trixie from Reverend Flannery's, a bunch of connected buildings(?), and Misty from an actual clinic, not hospital. There were some extra dialog from both girls and the mission ended the same as in the finished version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 10: Grand Theft Aero

With the third and final island of Shoreside Vale open to us, we are now well and truly in the endgame of GTA III, and that means the missions start to get very difficult - sometimes for all the wrong reasons. "Grand Theft Aero" was probably supposed to be an exciting and cinematic action setpiece featuring a massive shootout with the Cartel, but the combat mechanics simply aren't built for that and the end result is one of the most frustrating sections of any GTA game.

Watching this back, I did notice that there are actually not that many guys with M-16s and I probably could've been a bit less cautious in my approach, but I can also remember all of those failed attempts from years past and didn't particularly want to relive those moments here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I wonder what was in the package that interested him so much.

pisstapepisstapepisstapepisstape

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Speaking of the Stories games, I actually liked VCS a lot. Mostly for the quality of life improvements it had, like mid-mission checkpoints (something GTA IV didn't even have), checkpoints for every 5 levels completed during paramedic, taxi, vigilante etc side missions, the ability to swim in Vice City's map, being able to view what collectibles you already obtained on the map screen and some other tweaks which make the game less aged than GTA IV.

LCS though, well...

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Might i point out that you have a bullet-proof hummer?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

OutofSight posted:

Might i point out that you have a bullet-proof hummer?
I'm pretty sure I didn't use it for "Grand Theft Aero" because I was afraid it'd despawn during the cutscene at the end of the mission (it probably wouldn't have, since my Sentinel was still around, but you never know with these games), and there is another mission coming up where I'm actually going to need it. That, or I just thought it'd be too hard to get any kind of vehicle into the big blue box at the construction site. Probably both.

I completely forgot about the bulletproof Patriot when recording commentary, though!

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Doc M posted:

I'm pretty sure I didn't use it for "Grand Theft Aero" because I was afraid it'd despawn during the cutscene at the end of the mission (it probably wouldn't have, since my Sentinel was still around, but you never know with these games), and there is another mission coming up where I'm actually going to need it. That, or I just thought it'd be too hard to get any kind of vehicle into the big blue box at the construction site. Probably both.

I completely forgot about the bulletproof Patriot when recording commentary, though!

No need even to take it inside the construction site box. Just for those airport guys and the one M16 guy at the front.
Not that i did that myself. The bulletproof patriot was always for the very endgame.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I still want to know how that one shotgun guy managed to flank me at the construction site. Where did he even come from?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That third safe house was likely Claude's own when he started out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

That third safe house was likely Claude's own when he started out.

I'd question whether he'd just be able to go back to his old apartment after breaking out of jail like that but, well, with all the other poo poo he's done and the presumed number of times he's been arrested and bailed out since... yeah, probably.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

This episode is only available in 360p as of this post, but I wanted to post the update before going to bed. Shouldn't take too long for the HD versions to process.

Episode 11: Rumble in Shoreside

Before we finish the story of GTA III, we still have one more set of payphone missions to go. This time, it's D-Ice from the Red Jacks asking for our assistance, and as long as we get paid we're more than happy to oblige.

Also, maybe it's just me, but that last mission where the white protagonist has to beat down a bunch of black gang members with a baseball bat feels... somewhat questionable nowadays. I'm sure that wasn't the intention, but I just got an unfortunate vibe from it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just a game of baseball with your boss' bro. Don't know why the dominant gang can only supply you one friend. Help me remember if the game ever gives you more than one person to do combat on foot. Might be an engine limitation since you had about a dozen missions where you got only one ally doing the same stuff as you, while a group are stuck in the vehicle for plot reasons.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: The Exchange (FINAL)

In today's GTA III episode, we smash up some espresso stalls, lure a bunch of Cartel goons into a trap, make several poor decisions, and discuss the relevance of Pogo the Monkey in the rapidly changing video gaming landscape of 2001 (to clarify things, I know there were plenty of mascot platformers in the PS2 era, but they were no longer the big popular genre). Oh, and I suppose we also finish the game! :toot: I'll post the bonus video at some point in the next couple of days.

During our chat about various video game mascots of the late 90s, Buck Bumble was mentioned. It's actually against multiple international laws not to mention the title theme from Buck Bumble every time the game is brought up, so here you go.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 23, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice work finishing the game. :toot:

Although why would we save Maria? Apart from Claude's terrible taste in women.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Speaking of the Stories games, I actually liked VCS a lot. Mostly for the quality of life improvements it had, like mid-mission checkpoints (something GTA IV didn't even have), checkpoints for every 5 levels completed during paramedic, taxi, vigilante etc side missions, the ability to swim in Vice City's map, being able to view what collectibles you already obtained on the map screen and some other tweaks which make the game less aged than GTA IV.

LCS though, well...

IV did have checkpoints, but only for a small handful of long or very difficult missions. Even “Four-Leaf Clover” didn’t have one to at least start you at the combat section after your long drive to get there. Like I said before, it’s baffling how behind Rockstar was on so many basic aspects of game design until 2013 while making so many award-winning games.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Considering a ragequit due to a crash after completing S.A.M. is a perfectly rational response. That mission sucks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yes, congrats. One down, one better game to go.

Speaking of the Yakuza taking over the construction site, I'm sure operations there will soon be under the control of a certain mad dog who likes to hide in various places and jump out screaming "Kiryu-chan!"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think they changed the names of some weapons in the game during this release. I don't recognize the Uz-I or however it is spelled.

For how ground-breaking the game was, it sure needed some fixes with the lip-sync and text errors. The other bad stuff was already mentioned and it was really short for its price. It being an early title for a new console didn't help. I wasn't asking for a Liberty City Stories, but GTA3 felt lacking. It also aged poorly and not because of the sequels.

:words:
Some Cartel members at the dam have flamers (PS2). Guess how I found that out. Aside from Vigilante missions, those are the only ones who use such weapons. Speaking of Vigilante missions, your targets use all sorts of weapons and I have come across those with rockets, which even the tanks refuse to use against you. Far as I know, the original overhead GTA games are the only ones in the franchise where enemies fire rockets at you and the army was terrifying, capable of shooting you from offscreen.
When the franchise transitioned to 3D, GTA3 felt like a step back in mission design. The PS1 era games had some outlandish missions (compared to GTA3) and some strange weapons to use. A firetruck that shoots fire, turning people into soylent green, electric gloves that passively shock people, arc throwers, multiple weapons you can strap to vehicles. Missions were done through phones and they were optional.
:words:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Although why would we save Maria? Apart from Claude's terrible taste in women.

She is the only ally Claude has left in the city. Or had, possibly. Every other named character is dead, fled or wants his head.

Except D-Ice? He still seems cool with the red jacks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maria is responsible for the Mafia turning on him.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Congrats on finishing the first game of this LP! That ending to the final mission was definitely entertaining. Now that I've caught back up, I have some things to note for the last couple videos:
1. I'm pretty sure the mission where you save D-Ice's car temporarily makes all hostile gangs not attack you on sight.
2. The FBI Car actually is the only emergency vehicle that won't be refused service at Pay n' Spray. In Vice City this also goes for other law enforcement cars that look like civilian ones.
3. In Bait, it's a mission failure if the death squads are killed outside of the trap. It's apparently very important that the yakuza guys at least feel like they're contributing. I remember a much older LP of this where their AI was so incompetent one of their cars got driven into the water.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think it was the mission where you pick up packages and get an extra star for each until you get all six, is flagged to give you the next wanted level if you try to be clever and grab police badges. The AI may be dumb as hell and there are some rules you can exploit, like shooting up drivers during races. It is always fun to find exploits in these games.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Does Catalina have character art? Even Miguel gets a portrait, and his only story purpose is to get beaten by Asuka.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Does Catalina have character art? Even Miguel gets a portrait, and his only story purpose is to get beaten by Asuka.
She does not. If she did, I'd have used it for the last episode's thumbnail.

Bonus: The Dodo & The Rhino

In this bonus video, we try out the Dodo and see if we can do anything with it (not really, as it turns out), and then we have some fun in the Rhino tank until the physics decide they've had enough.

With that final bit of GTA III content, we wish you all happy holidays! This LP will return in the new year (and I'll probably still update my Knights of the Old Republic thread at least once before that), but in the meantime I'll leave you with a trailer many of us are quite familiar with... (polsy'd for spoilers in the sidebar)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 24, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is also a thing with the top of the stadium.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I never understood why the Dodo existed. If they had simply not had any stealable planes, players would probably have brushed it off. Having a crippled plane you could get into just made the whole thing very visible.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I never understood why the Dodo existed. If they had simply not had any stealable planes, players would probably have brushed it off. Having a crippled plane you could get into just made the whole thing very visible.

I suspect it was like "we programmed in this flying mechanic, but we didn't have the time to actually set up the world for it... let's put in a little flight demo vehicle that can't really get very far to show it off".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Since we're going to be moving on to Vice City and talked a little about the Driver series, this no-commentary LP by Redbeard Ralph is a good introduction to how the series is at this point. It's two years older than VC and contemporary with San Andreas, but shows a distinctly different style of gameplay with a more linear structure and very weighty cars that drift at the slightest touch and bounce like rubber. It even has Michael Madsen coming in to voice Tanner, who we just heard as Toni Cipriani!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtbV8Ej4Fio

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 1: Welcome to 1986

The second half of the GTA Double Pack LP is here, as we leave the dark and dreary Liberty City of the year 2001 behind and travel back in time to the neon-lit paradise of glitz and excess that is Vice City in 1986 (if you want to feel very old, consider that more time has passed since the release of Vice City than there was between 1986 and the game's release).

Our protagonist Tommy Vercetti is sent down south to handle the Forelli family's business, but the first deal ends in disaster and Tommy is left with nothing except an angry Forelli mob boss breathing down his neck.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I have good memories of Vice City. Let's see if they're justified. :shepface:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This was the first GTA I played to completion, and I'd had them all since the first. I haven't been back to it in years so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I beat VC so many times back in the day, it still holds up IMO but it can be rough in spots.
Looking forward to this.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zedd posted:

I beat VC so many times back in the day, it still holds up IMO but it can be rough in spots.
That was basically my takeaway from this playthrough. The controls and camera are pretty rough and some missions are complete and utter bullshit, but the game oozes atmosphere. There will be a couple of parts in certain episodes where I'm just driving down Ocean Beach at night while listening to power ballads on Emotion 98.3, because that to me is the quintessential Vice City experience. It has strong Miami Vice energy as well, which is very much a compliment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0it6zmqXMcY

(yes, I know the In the Air Tonight scene is more famous)

The cast is consistently entertaining as well, which is something that can't be said for some of the later GTA games.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 6, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

VC has always been my favourite of the early GTA games because of the previously aforementioned atmosphere around it.
It's also the point where Rockstars writing doesn't feel like it has started to crawl up its own rear end. There isn't that same overbearing brand of Rockstar humor that started showing up in the corners of San Andreas and then got more prevalent in later games.
The main character also fits in well with the game itself, unlike CJ in San Andreas who seems to have a split personality going on at times.

Not to mention the loving solid soundtrack.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of the soundtrack, I should've used the custom soundtrack capabilities of the Xbox to add the finest 80s song in existence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9aF9_mZDyY

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The controls in Vice City do suffer from being very similar to the controls of GTA III. The lock-on system I think is better, but it's still got a ton of issues on consoles. PC gives you a proper reticle for a more traditional third-person shooter experience, something that would only appear on consoles with San Andreas.

Also, you can see a glimpse of the beta version in the opening cutscene: one of the gunmen is carrying an MP5K, which was originally a usable player weapon early in development. This is now the only place this model appears in the game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

The controls in Vice City do suffer from being very similar to the controls of GTA III. The lock-on system I think is better, but it's still got a ton of issues on consoles. PC gives you a proper reticle for a more traditional third-person shooter experience, something that would only appear on consoles with San Andreas.
The manual targeting on San Andreas is horrendously clunky on console and the button layout is all wrong (R1 + right stick to aim, L1 or O to shoot :psyduck:), and it's so miserable to use that I'll take the lockon any day. I had very few issues with the lockon in Vice City, even compared to some of the modern Rockstar games.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 6, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cooked Auto posted:

VC has always been my favourite of the early GTA games because of the previously aforementioned atmosphere around it.
It's also the point where Rockstars writing doesn't feel like it has started to crawl up its own rear end. There isn't that same overbearing brand of Rockstar humor that started showing up in the corners of San Andreas and then got more prevalent in later games.
The main character also fits in well with the game itself, unlike CJ in San Andreas who seems to have a split personality going on at times.

Not to mention the loving solid soundtrack.

It also helps that Tommy Vercetti isn't supposed to like the other characters, he's working with them out of pure necessity. There is no reason CJ should be bothering with his toxic garbage pile that calls itself his brother Sweet, he is a terrible person with terrible friends. CJ just sticks with him out of some lame attachment to "family" when they haven't earned his loyalty in any way. His sister is the only likeable character directly related to him.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yeah there is that as well.
I was more considering how vastly different gameplay CJ felt to cutscene CJ and whenever the former started swearing and taunting things just felt odd. It think it was one of the first times I had ever encountered gameplay dissonance, or at least the first time I felt I noticed it the most.
It just felt strange to do rampages with CJ because out of all the GTA characters he felt more like a normal person than a mafia hitman or a somesuch. I feel like CJ was written for the wrong kind of game, but more about that later I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Compared to III, VIce City's already showing a ton more coherence in the missions and story. There's a clear direction to things that III lacked.

For amusement, I found a newspaper article from 1984 that put the price of a kilo of cocaine at $30000, making the 20 kilos that Tommy was sent to buy being worth $600000. In today's money, that's over $1.5 million. Small wonder that the mob is pissed.