Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
(Ghost Recon: Breakpoint)

Some people get all the luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh yeah, this too. I guess you can differentiate between stuff like texture pop-in, LOD pop-in and just straight up objects popping into view.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The worst game in terms of pop-in I've played or even seen in the last 15 years. And it doesn't even perform well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Oh yeah, this too. I guess you can differentiate between stuff like texture pop-in, LOD pop-in and just straight up objects popping into view.

Yeah they are definitely different levels of problems but I figured that was a good primer on the idea for someone who didn't know.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sininu posted:

The worst game in terms of pop-in I've played or even seen in the last 15 years. And it doesn't even perform well.
Why, they didn't even end up with their seamoth no-clipped to death inside a suddenly appearing mountainside :v:

It is overall a very nice game, but also a real insane in other terms if you are simply unlucky. One friend of mine ran across "So creatures that can swallow you whole are living indoors" when he finally grabbed it on a sale, which I hadn't seen since EA personally.

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013

Section Z posted:

Why, they didn't even end up with their seamoth no-clipped to death inside a suddenly appearing mountainside :v:

It is overall a very nice game, but also a real insane in other terms if you are simply unlucky. One friend of mine ran across "So creatures that can swallow you whole are living indoors" when he finally grabbed it on a sale, which I hadn't seen since EA personally.

My favorite bug happened to me twice. I somehow clipped through the ground with the prawn, which causes it to descend straight into hell. The issue with this, aside from the obvious, is that eventually you will start taking pressure damage, but also the game will spawn three leviathans to make sure you are hopelessly hosed. You can survive it by dodging leviathans and then hopping out of your prawn suit every time it hits 50% or so and repairing it, swapping batteries as needed. Once you reach 8192 meters, the game teleports you back to the surface where your escape pod landed. Most intense/exciting experience I've had playing a game in years, and it was due to a lack of care on the devs part. I was frantically just trying to see how long I could survive juggling repair batteries, and if there was a floor, and suddenly boom, safety.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sininu posted:

PS4 was somehow worse if you can believe it! Not just visual pop-in issues but entire chunks not loading so you'd end up with just completely blank spaces if you were travelling too quickly. It's kind of cool and eerie the first time it happens and then it gets annoying

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Try throwing some of these in your Steam shortcut "-noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent -no-browser"

So it ends up looking like this and see if that speeds things up, -no-browser will disable some chromium stuff, but for me it's no loss, I use the client to launch games in small mode and that's it.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles -overridepackageurl -silent -no-browser

Also make a Steam.cfg and put in there.

BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
BootStrapperForceSelfUpdate=disable

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam and I thought that it worked but after redownloading some games, the same problems came back. I tried doing this stuff too but it didn't seem to do anything, though I tried making a .cfg and ended up with a .txt that is called steam.cfg so that might be part of the issue if it isn't actually checking that file. I had to remove the -no-browser thing too because the steam library page would tell me it couldn't display anything due to that being enabled. So now I'm back to steam taking upwards of a minute just to realize I'm no longer running a game and that I want to switch to playing another game. I'm not really sure what is going on, all I know for sure is that it wasn't like this before it forced me to update to the new interface. The old interface was fast, never had this problem, and I could always view the library just fine. Now, everything is just so slow and it is almost like different parts of the interface are running at different speeds, like it will recognize if I'm hovering over a button and I can click and open certain things like drop down menus, but anything related to starting, closing, or switching to another game is incredibly lagged. :(

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The series is finally living up to its name.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam and I thought that it worked but after redownloading some games, the same problems came back. I tried doing this stuff too but it didn't seem to do anything, though I tried making a .cfg and ended up with a .txt that is called steam.cfg so that might be part of the issue if it isn't actually checking that file. I had to remove the -no-browser thing too because the steam library page would tell me it couldn't display anything due to that being enabled. So now I'm back to steam taking upwards of a minute just to realize I'm no longer running a game and that I want to switch to playing another game. I'm not really sure what is going on, all I know for sure is that it wasn't like this before it forced me to update to the new interface. The old interface was fast, never had this problem, and I could always view the library just fine. Now, everything is just so slow and it is almost like different parts of the interface are running at different speeds, like it will recognize if I'm hovering over a button and I can click and open certain things like drop down menus, but anything related to starting, closing, or switching to another game is incredibly lagged. :(
Under Steam/Settings/Library there is a selection of performance options. Try toggling on No Community Content, Low Performance Mode and Low Bandwith mode. I'm hoping that helps at least a little.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Under Steam/Settings/Library there is a selection of performance options. Try toggling on No Community Content, Low Performance Mode and Low Bandwith mode. I'm hoping that helps at least a little.

Those were already checked unfortunately :smith:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

It's probably your videocard or something like that. Try going to Steam's settings, interface and enable/disable "enable gpu accelerated rendering in web view" and see how that goes. If that does anything then consider updating/reinstalling drivers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Randallteal posted:

-phtm-
"loving OW!"
"shh, go to sleep"
-phtm- -phtm-
"JESUS CHRIST IT HURTS"

It was pretty much literally like this

I don't know how to play less badly, I've been wearing out the quickload button. I don't remember having this much trouble with my non-lethal run in the first Dishonored. Of course, that game didn't have any goddamn Clockwork Soldiers.

e: I keep squeezing the heart thinking that my mom will have something useful to say about the current mission, but it's always poo poo like "right now an orphan is drowning, clutching his teddy bear, the only thing that ever gave him joy in life". Uhhhh thanks mom but that doesn't really help me

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 6, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, for the stealthy route I find utilizing height differences to the fullest to be the trick. It's amazing what you can get away with when you're just a tiiiny bit above the enemy. Roofs, shelves, creeping on the furniture.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 6, 2020

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

It's been a hard couple of weeks, but the Weeklong Deals are finally back! And they're... pretty much just like what you remember. But hey, if you need a cheap-rear end platformer, puzzler, or puzzle-platformer, I've got a list for you to peruse.

I did notice two things about the Weeklongs worth mentioning, though. One is that Steam has integrated a couple of their Steam Labs tools to let you better narrow the list to stuff you might want to see. The other is that the volume of indie games being released on Steam is so great now that fully half the games on the list don't have enough reviews to form an aggregate thumbs up or down. That's probably a function of their quality but I'd hate to be an actual good game that gets lost in that sea of garbage.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/968350/Hotel_Sowls/

what an odd looking game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxo_DQ2rC0g

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The 7th Guest posted:

if you do origin access, they added sparklite, wreckfest and little misfortune

other games they've added recently if you have origin access and forgot they also include indie games:
bloodstained
superhot
for the king
tacoma
sinner: sacrifice for redemption
dead cells
nex machina
shantae 1/2 genie hero
slay the spire
yoku's island express
ghost of a tale
pyre
a plague tale: innocence
breathedge
darksiders 3
tyranny
the invisible hours
cosmic star heroine

it's basically the gamepass that no one notices or thinks about

I unsubscribed last summer because Game Pass PC has a better library overall IMO (and there were too many dire months in late 2018 and earlier last year where the main additions were old Star Wars games and indies like Gone Home that everyone on earth already owns), but they've been doing better lately. I'll resubscribe to the Basic tier next year whenever they add Jedi Fallen Order.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm in the mood for some mindless, grindy shooting fun. Warframe or Destiny 2?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Destiny 2 has almost peerless shooting and increasingly obtuse everything else. Warframe has fine shooting but is more ability driven (this changes depending on what you're doing) and is also completely impenetrable to a new player if you do any progression stuff. My personal vote is Destiny but I've spent... time with both and they're both very good and frankly not terribly comparable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fat Samurai posted:

Destiny 2 will demand you pay at least a little attention to cover and trying to shoot with some skill. Warframe asks that you move at the speed of light and never, ever stop

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fat Samurai posted:

imo the shooting is more satisfying in destiny, warframe has more parkour and somewhat more ridiculous magic

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fat Samurai posted:

do you want very high mobility with slightly janky gunplay and wait timers for crafting with years of new systems bolted on with not a clear explanation of goals: Warframe

do you want a high amount of gloss and polish to gunplay but way lower mobility and slightly floaty jumping with tons of guns but some guns that are just plain better than others with quests that will have you engage in PVP if you want to complete them and also years of extra content without clear goals thanks to going Free to Play: Destiny 2

I wrote more for Destiny 2 because it's what I'm currently playing but I sank a lot of time into Warframe a few years ago.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Weapons are nice in both, but Destiny has floaty unsatisfying enemies and gets boring much quicker imo.

Warframe has a great community, helpful goonclan and much more content.

If you're looking for PVP though its surprisingly great in Destiny.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

EDF

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man, I wish APB Reloaded was a good game. Given the choice between Destiny 2 and Warframe I don't like either and APB was the first thing that came to mind as a replacement. If I were to be looking for a game along those veins, I'd probably go with Division 2. Thought right now I've been playing a ton of Red Dead Online and let me tell you, plenty of folks to shoot in that game. I also feel like its worth mentioning that Halo Reach is out on PC now.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

If you do end up trying Warframe, make sure you head over to the Warframe thread and join the goon clan. We'll give you a bunch of free stuff that'll help with getting your foot in the door, and can give recommendations for which of the ten zillion options you should be doing next. There's still plenty of grind to level up the free mods they'll give you and to get the resources to build new weapons, so don't feel like you're being cheated out of mindless grind. It's grind all the way down!

E: Speaking of alternatives, are there any good action-mmos like Vindictus, Tera, or Black Desert that don't get totally lost in FtP black hole? Preferable ones with solo or coop endgame instead of Black Deserts "fun" gankfest.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 6, 2020

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Despite the higher learning curve, I'd recommend Warframe. It's fast, furious and fun. If you decide to take the plunge, then join our Goonclan. That way you'll have a support team to back you up, all very active and helpful.

Destiny 2 is also a good game, but it has very traditional ideas and design. The payment model is not quite as fair either.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wish I had more time. Right now, my backlog consists of (in no particular order, just games I picked up from the sale)

RDR2
Gris
Prey
Plague Tale: Innocence
Disco Elysium
Sekiro

Before all that, I gotta finish up this playthrough of Witcher 3. Oh and I kinda got the itch to play the Dragon Age series again, so that might make things more complicated :shepface:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Smol posted:

Wish I had more time. Right now, my backlog consists of (in no particular order, just games I picked up from the sale)

RDR2
Gris
Prey
Disco Elysium
Sekiro

Before all that, I gotta finish up this playthrough of Witcher 3. Oh and I kinda got the itch to play the Dragon Age series again, so that might make things more complicated :shepface:

Gris and Plague Tale: Innocence can be beaten fairly quickly compared to the rest, so there's that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I was struck with the desire to play The Stanley Parable yesterday, I'd only played it for 45 minutes awhile back and was immediately hit with this achievement.

Good stuff.

Also this is old news, but after putting a few hours into it yesterday it really is a cool thing. Go play it if you've never put much time into it, it's not that long unless you absolutely must see everything.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OTOH the Ultra Deluxe version of Stanley Parable is coming out this year with even more content, so if you've waited this long you may as well wait a bit more for that.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Smol posted:

RDR2
Gris
Prey
Disco Elysium
Sekiro

So many good games so little time. That list is at least a solid month of 6h/day with RDR2 and Witcher 3 easily 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Popete posted:

For some reason I was struck with the desire to play The Stanley Parable yesterday, I'd only played it for 45 minutes awhile back and was immediately hit with this achievement.

Good stuff.

Also this is old news, but after putting a few hours into it yesterday it really is a cool thing. Go play it if you've never put much time into it, it's not that long unless you absolutely must see everything.

Joke's on them, I have never gone outside.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Whats a good shooting game for people bad at shooting? Ive never been good at twitch reflexes owing to growing up as a console babby and ive always gravitated to supports that dont need to aim like Engie or Torbjorn

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Metroid prime on the game cube

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Divinity Original Sin 2: christ, what a sequence

- found a herd of pigs permanently on fire that doesn't hurt them, but does panic them, and we can't help them yet
- attacked by a demon and some skeletons in a really tough encounter that made me work for a victory
- found a blinded magister panicked by a ruined caravan and he tried to arrest me, then wouldn't let me leave, and I had to kill him despite his obvious panic
- immediately afterwards found a scared bear cub that can't find its mom

:negative:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 7, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Destiny 2 is way less effort to get rolling but also a little more demanding in attention

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
tbh Destiny over Warframe

Warframe is fun, but its grinding for the sake of grinding. Every time I join the goon guild is super welcoming and it's super fun, but also after I "get into the rhythm" and start working towards goals I realize everything is weeks/months away of just....grind.

Destiny has amazing shooting. Fairly decent to great Halo style campaigns, and good gear progression ( can farm up a perfect rolled Legendary, or just do a quest for a "Pinnacle/Ritual" which is 95% good enough as a perfect Legendary. Or use an Exotic which has unique modifiers. ).

More importantly though, Destiny's grind leads to something. PvP in Destiny is probably my favorite FPS right now, in no small part due to the announcer. If you cant stand traditional PvP you also have tons of goofy game modes like everyone gets a rocket launcher, or infinite supers which are just dumb fun.

If you don't like PvP you can do Gambit, this competitive PvE thing with lite PvP elements.

If you want pure PvE its got some of the best puzzle solving raids in gaming. Really unique things that are more then just dps checks but skill checks. Or Strikes and Nightfalls, which are psuedo dungeons you can run with randos for good loot/fun.

The grind is also more fair? In Warframe the grind leads to ingame currency you can trade with whales to get Primes. In Destiny you grind for titles, which require you to do a lot of xyz task, so having one proves you really like xyz.

Destiny is a game I'll keep installed and play regularly after I do everything. Warframe is a game I play for 12 hours, realize I have other stuff I want to play, then quit every few years.

Also now is like the best time to jump into Destiny because they are moving the plot forward. Jump in now and you'll be largely caught up. Jump in next year and its going to be kind of weird because people will be dead/back/whatever.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The big difference is that Destiny asks you to pay big bucks every time anything resembling content comes out and you'll be left in the dust if you don't pay. Warframe is free, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

DatonKallandor posted:

The big difference is that Destiny asks you to pay big bucks every time anything resembling content comes out and you'll be left in the dust if you don't pay. Warframe is free, period.
What is Warframe's monetization model? Cosmetics + speeding up crafting cooldown timers?