Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Let's be fair to Laidlaw. He has copped a lot of criticism, but time and time again, Scotland turned to him to salvage games and campaigns. Loose forwards and halfbacks have been a position of strength for Scotland, and the fact that he saw off plenty of young challengers and became the guy that the team turned to should be worthy of some respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
I mostly jest. Laidlaw has been a great servant to Scotland and his control has won them games that they should and could have lost. Excellent leader on the pitch, just never quite got the players around him to take advantage of the game management he excelled in. He was slow and measured in a time when Scotland wanted pace but still a great 9 in what has been a rough time for Scottish rugby.

Great singing voice too.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 20, 2019

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

Great singing voice too.

My favorite "Drunk Greig Laidlaw Video" is the one where he gets so plastered, he gains the ability to sing in completely coherant Welsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8yQOYbwXA

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Important update from 1872 cup, Ruaridh Jackson now has a mullet.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

HappyCamperGL posted:

Important update from 1872 cup, Ruaridh Jackson now has a mullet.

Nothing else interesting happend in that half.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

On the very last second of the game Sam Daves knocks over a drop goal for the Dragons to beat the Scarlets 22-20. YES!!!!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

A rugby match broke out after 60 mins. Get that right up ye Edinburgh cunts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

On the very last second of the game Sam Daves knocks over a drop goal for the Dragons to beat the Scarlets 22-20. YES!!!!

The Scarlets are so bad right now even my Cardiff friends think it's funny.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

The Scarlets are so bad right now even my Cardiff friends think it's funny.

Their discipline was awful.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Extract from The Times, Vern Cotter when asked about Greig Laidlaw retiring. Hell of a praise from a guy not exactly known for gushing.

quote:

“I don’t think I’ve ever coached anybody as committed to his team. If it wasn’t a team we were playing against but a line of machine guns, he would have gone over the top for his team and his teammates.

“It was a pleasure and honour to work with him. He did everything you expect from a leader and he also kicked goals at the end of games that gave you wins.”

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

What's gone wrong with the Ospreys?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I blame the coaching.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vaders Jester posted:

Aren't they in the middle of an injury crisis at the moment? I remember reading they had to loan a prop from the Scarlets as they basically ran out of available players.
Not sure that can explain all of the chaos, but maybe is a slight excuse. 44-0 is a hell of a spanking though.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Possibly, Ospreys seem to always have at least half a dozen players broken at any one time but 44-0 is bleak.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vaders Jester posted:

I have great news!

In 2020, you'll get to experience first hand "what went wrong with the Ospreys"!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50924097

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I blame the coaching for the injury problems. Possibly the physio team, but they generally just do what they're told.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

stavros880 posted:

Aren't they in the middle of an injury crisis at the moment? I remember reading they had to loan a prop from the Scarlets as they basically ran out of available players.
Not sure that can explain all of the chaos, but maybe is a slight excuse. 44-0 is a hell of a spanking though.

The team also went through a descent from perpetual contenders and occasional champions into middle-of-the-table battler status. Once referees start routinely making hosed up calls against your team and that becoming the norm, while the same happening to another team is cause for an outcry, that's when you know your team is hosed - case in point the Blues.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

I have great news!

In 2020, you'll get to experience first hand "what went wrong with the Ospreys"!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50924097

Hoping for his 2012 version and not the 2018 shitshow final form.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Natural order restored in the 1872.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

Natural order restored in the 1872.

Edinburgh even top the conference, what giddy heights to fall from.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Edinburgh even top the conference, what giddy heights to fall from.

You've cursed it already, Leinster let Munster have a pity point so they're back on top.

How the mighty Edinburgh have fallen.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

J Gray off to join Hogg at Exeter next year apparently.

But Nakawara officially back at Scotstoun until the end of the season to placate the fans. Hopefully a longer deal is in the offing or it seems a bit pointless.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Munster have gone backwards now JVG has full control. Before they were always there or thereabouts, but never reaching the quality of the top French teams, Saracens or Leinster. Since JVG had his own team in place they've looked worse as things have gone on. Things are not good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Okay:

Saracens squad could be dismantled, says interim chief executive Edward Griffiths

quote:

The all-conquering Saracens squad could be dismantled in order for the club to comply with salary cap rules this season, according to interim chief executive Edward Griffiths.

The Premiership champions were docked 35 points and fined £5.36m in November for breaching salary cap regulations.

Griffiths is leading a "scoping exercise" as the first step in making the club "whiter than white".

And he said he has not ruled out the possibility of letting star players go.

"It's too early to say what we will do, but anybody running a business or anybody running any organisation who, for whatever reason, needs to reduce the salary bill has two fundamental choices," he told BBC Sport.

"One would be to reduce the head count and the other would be for people to take a pay cut. Now I'm not saying either or both are necessary, but those would be the two options or a combination of the two."

Eight Saracens players represented England in the Rugby World Cup final this year, including Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje.

Griffiths, who was Saracens chief executive from 2008 to 2015, returned to the club last week following Nigel Wray's departure as chairman.

"Obviously it's a difficult time for the club and we want to bring certainty as quickly as possible," he said.

"I think the first step is really to demonstrate, unequivocally, that we are operating within the salary cap in the current season, in the 2019-2020 season, and that is really a challenge on two levels. It's a challenge with spreadsheets and calculators and the numbers, but it's also a challenge in terms of perception.

"The uncertainty is unhelpful within the club and throughout the league and, in fact, English rugby generally.

"So we want to try to draw a line under this matter as soon as possible, but equally we need to be mindful that these measures potentially involve individuals and we need to be sensitive to their needs and to make sure things are done correctly. So we want to move with speed, but also with care."

Saracens, who currently sit bottom of the Premiership table on -7 points, are due to appoint a new independent chairman imminently.

So if they're going to do this are they are still over the cap? Will their results so far this season will be wiped from the books?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Depends if they were given a grace period to sort their poo poo out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Depends if they were given a grace period to sort their poo poo out.

Well Wray said they're definitely under the salary cap for the season though I'd sooner believe a Daily Sport headline that anything he says.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I've no idea how the cap actually works, whether players get appearance or performance bonuses, and whether cap figures prorate if players move abroad or what have you mid season. I would assume they're thinking of encouraging a high earning England player to go to France to make as big a mess as possible out of their punishment

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Toulon need a new scrum half, but that's not particularly helpful in that regard.

Fatialofa was having the pressure relieved on his spinal cord Monday, hopefully that went well.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

tarbrush posted:

I've no idea how the cap actually works, whether players get appearance or performance bonuses, and whether cap figures prorate if players move abroad or what have you mid season. I would assume they're thinking of encouraging a high earning England player to go to France to make as big a mess as possible out of their punishment

Yeah it's weird. You'd never see this in North American sports, I don't know why it's so hard for Saracens or the premiership to know if they're over or not

I mean of course they are, but how is it all so opaque

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I read somewhere that a player doesn't count towards the cap until they play in the competition, have any of the Sarries big earners been held out of the Premiership games so far? Seems a straight forward enough way of saving cap space but maybe theres more going on.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah it's weird. You'd never see this in North American sports, I don't know why it's so hard for Saracens or the premiership to know if they're over or not

I mean of course they are, but how is it all so opaque

The cynic in me says that Saracens don't know whether they are over it or not because they've set up the most complex system of rewards for players as possible to try and side step the rules.

I kind of like the salary cap, I usually really dislike club sports because it is more about how much money you have to buy good players than anything else, which obviously still exists but it's just not as extreme as say, premiership football (soccer).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might have it all mixed up in financial structures of nebulous value. Special "pension" pots and variable stock options and the like.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I read somewhere that a player doesn't count towards the cap until they play in the competition, have any of the Sarries big earners been held out of the Premiership games so far? Seems a straight forward enough way of saving cap space but maybe theres more going on.

Looked like the full team played on Saturday against Worcester so if they are, then the big names like Farrell, Itoje etc. have now played.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Hmm in that case I really wouldn't be surprised if they're still over the cap and are now scrambling to fix it, will be interesting to see how many players take a cut to stay at Sarries..

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Probably some of the old guard like Barritt and Wigglesworth will take final contract cuts and the top English players, Itoje, Farrell, George, will stay but see the sacrifice of the NEQ players like Taylor, Maitland, etc. going elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see Liam Williams gone before the end of season either.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Probably some of the old guard like Barritt and Wigglesworth will take final contract cuts and the top English players, Itoje, Farrell, George, will stay but see the sacrifice of the NEQ players like Taylor, Maitland, etc. going elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see Liam Williams gone before the end of season either.

Yeah, he's already on his way to the Scarlets next season but there has been talk of him going sooner. Halfpenny looked good against the Blues, he's lost some weight and looked effective in attack instead of slipping into contact. Things seem to be actually looking up for the Scarlets for once.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

:siren::siren:The Melbourne Rebels have a player called Harry Potter:siren::siren:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Johnnie Beattie has retired from rugby. Seems strange he only got 38 Scotland caps considering how good he could be on his day. Only Barclay of the 'killer bees' back row still playing.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/george-kruis-set-to-leave-saracens-and-england

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Johnnie Beattie has retired from rugby. Seems strange he only got 38 Scotland caps considering how good he could be on his day. Only Barclay of the 'killer bees' back row still playing.

Will never forget him running over and through Gordon D'Arcy, PoC, and Geordan Murphy for his try in 2010.