Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cygni posted:

The AMD Zen2 Mobile embargo is going to lift in a few hours and some of the laptop makers are already posting stuff. Looks like those of you looking for premium AMD laptop designs are going to get their wish.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15282/ces-2020-lenovo-yoga-slim-7-with-amd-4000-apu-inside-coming-march

Release date for the CPUs appears to be March.

14 hours with a 61Wh battery could be a pretty big deal, though we'll have to wait and see.

The CES Keynote livestream will be broadcast here shortly:

https://youtu.be/zUeo7kUzn_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD gonna copy Intel's Medals/Metals naming crap, the people who brand computer parts for these companies are monsters

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1214286892881108993

e: Here are all the Zen 2 mobile parts:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-introduces-renoir-dali-ryzen-4000-series-mobile-processors

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 6, 2020

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

taqueso posted:

Is that really true about crysis? I thought I was just being silly.
Crysis with 16x MSAA will melt any computer made to date

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

eames posted:

14 hours with a 61Wh battery could be a pretty big deal, though we'll have to wait and see.

The CES Keynote livestream will be broadcast here shortly:

https://youtu.be/zUeo7kUzn_8

TBQH, I'm just happy that something(s) might finally be coming along to trade punches with the XPS 13 in the "solid, thin laptop with awesome battery life" department -- regardless of who makes the processor.

That said, if AMD has finally managed to start making good mobile CPUs, that would be awesome as well. Fingers crossed!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

AMD gonna copy Intel's Medals/Metals naming crap, the people who brand computer parts for these companies are monsters

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1214286892881108993

e: Here are all the Zen 2 mobile parts:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-introduces-renoir-dali-ryzen-4000-series-mobile-processors

Based on my past experience with Intel's current Iris Pro graphics, I immediately gravitate towards the eight GPU cores of whatever for the improved QoL, but goddamn, who the gently caress is gonna use 16 threads in a >15W laptop?

These configurations highly lead me to believe poo poo's still monolithic again, or we'd get some more sensible combinations that won't burn out a laptop battery in no time flat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Keynote started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeo7kUzn_8

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

taqueso posted:

Is that really true about crysis? I thought I was just being silly.

The last time I tried the original Crysis, the bottleneck was CPU. It's an old rear end DX10 that slams 1 core to the moon, so you really need the fastest single core you can possibly get. Your GPU will not be working hard on Crysis 1.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Based on my past experience with Intel's current Iris Pro graphics, I immediately gravitate towards the eight GPU cores of whatever for the improved QoL, but goddamn, who the gently caress is gonna use 16 threads in a >15W laptop?

CAD virtual machine is what I would use it for.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm more excited for the lower end parts because they'll likely be dirt cheap while still offering decent performance. I personally don't need one of these but AMD devices selling for 30-40% less than the Intel equivalent is going to raise some eyebrows. The Lenovo E495 was on sale for ~400€ during black friday.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

These configurations highly lead me to believe poo poo's still monolithic again, or we'd get some more sensible combinations that won't burn out a laptop battery in no time flat.

It is monolithic. Also, it is a smaller GPU config at the top end than the Zen+ skus, so the GPU performance will be interesting.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That's a tiny loving chip.

edit: It's loving Vega again. "59% improved performance" MY rear end.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 6, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Claiming 59% increase in Vega core performance vs last gen mobile chips? That's wild if even close to true.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NewFatMike posted:

Claiming 59% increase in Vega core performance vs last gen mobile chips? That's wild if even close to true.

They are gonna have higher clocks and way more memory bandwidth, but AMD and Intel love to make dumb rear end performance claims in presentations so we will see.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

AMD has been getting pretty close to their PR numbers in recent history iirc

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

They are gonna have higher clocks and way more memory bandwidth, but AMD and Intel love to make dumb rear end performance claims in presentations so we will see.

Oh yeah, I've got a flight of shakers of salt from all over the world ready. But honestly, even half of that (25%) would be incredible.

E: lol, another Freesync rebrand. At least it's... Parsable.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

taqueso posted:

They just did that comically trash PCIe 4.0 demo with the Navi launch

eames
May 9, 2009

taqueso posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7-4700u-8-core-renoir-mobile-cpu-spotted

Scroll down to see some direct comparisons to Intel parts, the all the names/threadcounts/clockspeeds match so it looks like the leak was real.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is WoW esports in TYOOL 2020?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

LPDDR4 is a hell of a drug.

Also, FreeSync Premium with guaranteed LFC and I guess FreeSync 2 is now rebranded as FreeSync Pro with LFC+HDR?

Boy, that would have been great two years ago. Although I guess they didn't say anything about a QC process to avoid flickering...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cygni posted:

They just did that comically trash PCIe 4.0 demo with the Navi launch

What did they do for the demo? Show bandwidth transfer values with their gpu or something?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The guy in charge of Freesync flicker is the webcast cameraman who plans on killing us all eyes first by moire exposure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Speaking of bad misleading graphs, they just compared the 9700k to the 4800H using integrated graphics in gaming without actually saying that. Don't trust presentations!!!

priznat posted:

What did they do for the demo? Show bandwidth transfer values with their gpu or something?

I'll have to go find it, but it was basically a misleading "test" implying that 4.0 was gonna make your graphics card a million percent faster. It was the same dude that always does their misleading graphs, comically. GN and a bunch of other people immediately got on their rear end about it.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The posters on r/amd are so thirsty for a 2080ti-killer that AMD won't be giving them (at least not this generation).

eames
May 9, 2009

No word on that 4900H that was leaked via an Asus slide by a Youtuber earlier today. Either they changed the naming or its a higher TDP part (~65W?) that they don't want that associated with this keynote.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
HYBRID CROSSFIRE IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

priznat posted:

Yeah, it wasn't misleading information per se as much as just totally irrelevant information.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh god, the madwoman. 3990X, 64c/128t, 4.3GHz boost, 288 MB of cache, $3990 price tag.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
LOL the 3990WX is $3990.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
E: not the GPU thread.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 6, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
how long has scumbag steve been president of RED? :thunk:

eames
May 9, 2009

Lungboy posted:

$279 for the 5600xt could be good if the specs turn into decent performance.

FWIW the author of tomshw.de is usually pretty well informed thinks that AMD will only allow $279 cards to be reviewed on launch date and fancier, more expensive factory oc cards will be under NDA until 22nd.

Paul MaudDib posted:

how did scumbag steve end up as president of RED? :thunk:

and how do they colorgrade with 30 Watts of RGB LEDs shining onto their monitors through the case window

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
RDNA2 and Zen3 need to show up at Computex or I feel like they'd have been pushed to 2021.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

eames posted:

FWIW the author of tomshw.de is usually pretty well informed thinks that AMD will only allow $279 cards to be reviewed on launch date and fancier, more expensive factory oc cards will be under NDA until 22nd.

It wouldn't surprise me. Performance will have to be impressive at that price to make it better value than a 1660 super at significantly cheaper or just stumping up the extra cash for a 5700.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
kinda figured they'd talk about the AM4 socketed variants of the new APUs if nothing else, are those still on the way soon or waiting for the other 4000 series processors later this year?

maybe a little tease of RDNA2 or Zen3 too

seemed like an abrupt end, "alright thanks RED and that's it guys later"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh god, the madwoman. 3990X, 64c/128t, 4.3GHz boost, 288 MB of cache, $3990 price tag.

Hell of a part for the price, man. Xeon W-3175X is more expensive once you get a motherboard, and will undoubtedly get destroyed in basically all tasks.

Also between cooling that thing and a few GPUs for compute, finally those folks that splurge for double 360 rads in their custom loops will get to really use em.

Intel's conference is in an hour, pretty likely we get the Comet Lake-S desktop CPU announcement... wonder if they got anything else worth talkin about.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
NUCs...

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

NewFatMike posted:

CAD virtual machine is what I would use it for.

...what...the gently caress!?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wonder if these mobile processors would make Apple take notice.

They'd probably cry about Thunderbolt, though. I really do think we're reaching the point where they should consider MacBook product segmentation and make Thunderbolt a "Pro" thing compared to Air etc.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Crunchy Black posted:

...what...the gently caress!?

I run most of my 3D modeling software under a VM. All my 2D stuff works better under Linux, but it really comes down to "If my next update completely befucks my Solidworks install, won't it be nicer to just revert to a snapshot instead of reinstall everything? Again?"

1-2 softwares are fine to reinstall when things go stupid, but I need a bunch for freelancing. Most of them are single threaded, so going to a 4C/8T VM (6C/12T host) had no real performance loss.

Them's billable hours and the VMware Workstation license paid for itself pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

kinda figured they'd talk about the AM4 socketed variants of the new APUs if nothing else, are those still on the way soon or waiting for the other 4000 series processors later this year?

maybe a little tease of RDNA2 or Zen3 too

seemed like an abrupt end, "alright thanks RED and that's it guys later"

With Zen3, I get it. They're probably having record sales and the last thing they want to do is Osborne themselves - people are already thirsty asf about Zen3. Zen3 doesn't need the demo hype Zen2 got, IMHO, and they can talk about it when it's in a more complete state.

I...I have no idea why they didn't demo RDNA2 unless it's not ready, or for the same reason as Zen3, their sales of the RX 5000 series are actually really good based on internal numbers and the last thing they want to do is cutoff that cashflow too early.