Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

If a sculptor came out and said “Painting is a bad medium devoid of creative expression” you’d rightfully think they were out of touch.

No, pretty sure Michelangelo was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

No, pretty sure Michelangelo was cool.

No you're thinking of Raphael

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Terry Gilliam is wrong but he is obviously not justifying abuse of power. He's saying that anybody, no matter their skin color or gender, abuses power. He feels white men are unjustly picked on because anybody with Harvey Weinstein's power might have done the same thing regardless of their race or sex. He's quite clear on this point when a few lines later he calls one of the two female producers on Fisher King a 'neurotic bitch': 'It wasn’t about their sex. It was about the position of power and how people use it.' He's wrong because he doesn't admit that simply being a white man confers power, but you don't have to turn him into Henry Kissinger.

No he probably justifying it too, a few actresses have said he’s a total creep that had a habit of groping in elevators. But the most prominent accuser was Ellen Barkin and she hasn’t made a movie in 20 years so everyone ignores it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Weinstien's trial is happening today, is that right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Terry Gilliam is wrong but he is obviously not justifying abuse of power. He's saying that anybody, no matter their skin color or gender, abuses power. He feels white men are unjustly picked on because anybody with Harvey Weinstein's power might have done the same thing regardless of their race or sex. He's quite clear on this point when a few lines later he calls one of the two female producers on Fisher King a 'neurotic bitch': 'It wasn’t about their sex. It was about the position of power and how people use it.' He's wrong because he doesn't admit that simply being a white man confers power, but you don't have to turn him into Henry Kissinger.

Fair enough, I guess he's more of an out of touch Old White Male Boomer than a fascist, I was just being facetious.

Like, he's one of those people who believes that abuse of power is okay if he or someone who looks like him does it, and he has zero self awareness.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Samovar posted:

Weinstien's trial is happening today, is that right?

Start of jury selection. Which they estimate could go on for a couple weeks...insane. Yet probably not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every time I read about Terry Gilliam or John Cleese I just close my eyes and say a prayer for sweet, sweet Eric Idle and pray he keeps his big mouth shut

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No he probably justifying it too, a few actresses have said he’s a total creep that had a habit of groping in elevators. But the most prominent accuser was Ellen Barkin and she hasn’t made a movie in 20 years so everyone ignores it.

I doubt he believes he is in any way powerful. He seems to think of himself as a scrappy outsider always at the bottom of whatever heap he finds himself in, even though he apparently never had much trouble getting tens of millions of dollars to burn on any weird and ambitious project he thought up (time-traveling dwarves chased by a glowing disembodied head! two Watchmen adaptions that never saw daylight! three tries at Don Quixote!). Hypothetically, someone with that mindset would think of women he gropes as wielding power over him.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 6, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I doubt he believes he is in any way powerful. He seems to think of himself as a scrappy outsider always at the bottom of whatever heap he finds himself in, even though he apparently never had much trouble getting tens of millions of dollars to burn on any weird and ambitious project he thought up (time-traveling dwarves chased by a glowing disembodied head! two Watchmen adaptions that never saw daylight! three tries at Don Quixote!). Hypothetically, someone with that mindset would think of women he gropes as wielding power over him.

Oh yeah, when you put it that way I can totally see it. Kind of like that letter Whedon sent to his ex-wife apologizing for all the infidelity but that he was powerless to resist all the young women that wanted a job on his shows.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/12...ingawful.com%2F

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Drake has been getting dragged in Twitter and socials for like 2 weeks straight but absolutely no one is taking the bullet and saying anything in a major outlet, it’s super weird to watch. I’ve seen dozens of threads like “Why y’all acting weird about Drake!” “Well he flirts with children constantly and texts teenage girls about boys they like” “whatever, y’all just hatin!” and it’s just like super crazy.

But somebody pointed out that music is probably more powerful than cinema and musicians can probably get away with more, especially the bigger they are.

This happened with Chris Brown after he beat up Rhihanna. People who dragged Brown publicly for being a violent child got threats from his fans.

There's a pro wrestler named Dan Barry who made a couple tweets about it. As of last year he was still getting hate tweets and threats about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Chris Brown is an exercise in frustration because he faced literally no backlash from rearranging Rihanna’s face, then getting her broken face tattooed on his neck, and despite a lifelong pattern of violent assault and erratic behavior absolutely EVERYBODY still works with him (including Drake LoL).

Like yes he can sing and dance, but there are other artists guys, lots of them, pick one that didn’t almost kill their girlfriend and leave her on the side of the road.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I believe you mean “especially drake”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I might have said this earlier, but with Drake, it's probably partly not coming out in major media because this is bigger than just him. Like, I'm fairly certain that most of these girls' parents and agents are actively feeding them to him (because minors who are celebrities don't usually have a whole lot of control over their own actions, sometimes to the point where their parents essentially own them as property well into adulthood, like with Taylor Swift).

If he was going after random girls, there'd eventually be some big blowback, but as long as he keeps them all famous, the only people who would do anything have a lot to lose.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Drake also made a music video about giving money away, and paid his baby mama to stay out of the spotlight so no one would know he was an absentee father, so we know for sure that Drake is very much in the practice of throwing money at things to make them go away.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I guess that’s better than Ex-Mossad agents

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Not really. It's all just extremely wealthy people using ginormous sums of money to make things go away.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm mean, I'd rather get paid off than turn up dead from "suicide."

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm mean, I'd rather get paid off than turn up dead from "suicide."

I dunno man, in the hell world we live in right now? Give me death over constant harassment and a life spent walking on legal eggshells

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think he's even directly throwing money at these problems. I think he's leveraging himself being a huge famous rapper to get stage parents to basically just feed their kids to them, in the hopes that being associated with him will make the kid's fame rise (and make the parents' wallets fatter).

Like, I don't think it's some kind of accident that the two people he's most visibly preyed on are Millie Bobby Brown and Billie Eilish, who are both pretty weirdly transparent about being more #brand than human and will probably both need years and years of therapy in adulthood even without his rear end involved.

e: I should note, I've been kind of annoyed at Billie Eilish's fame because something about the sheer transparency of how manufactured she is (she was more or less groomed from birth to be a pop musician) seems like the music industry trying to mock everybody, but in this sort of situation I have a lot of empathy for her. Nobody deserves to be basically sold to a pervert for tabloid bucks.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 7, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think he's even directly throwing money at these problems. I think he's leveraging himself being a huge famous rapper to get stage parents to basically just feed their kids to them, in the hopes that being associated with him will make the kid's fame rise (and make the parents' wallets fatter).

Like, I don't think it's some kind of accident that the two people he's most visibly preyed on are Millie Bobby Brown and Billie Eilish, who are both pretty weirdly transparent about being more #brand than human and will probably both need years and years of therapy in adulthood even without his rear end involved.

e: I should note, I've been kind of annoyed at Billie Eilish's fame because something about the sheer transparency of how manufactured she is (she was more or less groomed from birth to be a pop musician) seems like the music industry trying to mock everybody, but in this sort of situation I have a lot of empathy for her. Nobody deserves to be basically sold to a pervert for tabloid bucks.

Drake is super gross

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Start of jury selection. Which they estimate could go on for a couple weeks...insane. Yet probably not.

For a trial of this magnitude, I honestly think it's a short amount of time for jury selection.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LA can take a week to get a jury for a rando assault

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Momentum is a hell of a horrific thing in these situations.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Chris Brown is an exercise in frustration because he faced literally no backlash from rearranging Rihanna’s face, then getting her broken face tattooed on his neck, and despite a lifelong pattern of violent assault and erratic behavior absolutely EVERYBODY still works with him (including Drake LoL).

Like yes he can sing and dance, but there are other artists guys, lots of them, pick one that didn’t almost kill their girlfriend and leave her on the side of the road.

Imagine being Drake who used to date Rihanna (the alleged love of his life), and then proceeds to be chill with the dude who beat her up. What the gently caress.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Drakes a romantic poet so he has to outsource the edgy

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Juliette Lewis was 17 when she dated a then 27 year old Brad Pitt. Paul Walker also was notorious for dating teens. I think Henry Cavill has had some borderline relationships.

I don't think its some sinister hollywood conspiracy but just how power and gender dynamics unfortunately play out.

Teenagers don't see themselves as children and usually lack the experience to recognise that a 25+ person interested in them isn't a signal they're uncommonly mature, just that they're a creep. Add in fame and the situation is just heightened further.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll agree but also add that I personally really don’t see the difference between a 17 year old dating a 35 year old and a 25 year old dating a 55 year old and honestly view both as equally problematic and indicative of unhealthy imbalances at play, but that entirely comes from my own life experiences with my own friends and family.

At 25 you really can start to view yourself as an adult with agency, but especially modern Millenials can be somewhat permanently infantilized because we don’t have the financial security of previous generations and don’t have to grow up as quickly. We can easily get taken in and flattered by people twice our age who make us feel smart and mature, when the relationship is actually much closer to a paternal/maternal one with a primarily sexual foundation.

Not everyone is creeped out by that, but my personal biases lead me to believe that there isn’t really anything that a 55 year old man is getting out dating a 25 year old woman besides sex and the feeling of youthful vitality, and they know that, but the much younger partner believes them to be equals in a real relationship. This can have devastating long term effects on the younger person, and cause them a lot of pain when they finally realize it’s just about being young and hot and wasn’t ever really about love or even companionship, it was about a much older person resolving unrequited personal issues by validating themselves through sex with a much younger person.

If you don’t see a problem with it, like I said these are all just coming from my real life experiences, but imagine your early 20’s child coming home with someone older than you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This happened with Chris Brown after he beat up Rhihanna. People who dragged Brown publicly for being a violent child got threats from his fans.

There's a pro wrestler named Dan Barry who made a couple tweets about it. As of last year he was still getting hate tweets and threats about it.

oldie but a goody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aahWNFojzMU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Epstein: “I like how the French think”
https://twitter.com/jkbjournalist/status/1214508678512033792

PARIS — The French writer Gabriel Matzneff never hid the fact that he engaged in sex with girls and boys in their early teens or even younger. He wrote countless books detailing his insatiable pursuits and appeared on television boasting about them. “Under 16 Years Old,” was the title of an early book that left no ambiguity.

Still, he never spent a day in jail for his actions or suffered any repercussion. Instead, he won acclaim again and again. Much of France’s literary and journalism elite celebrated him and his work for decades.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Read about this gently caress yesterday, gross as all hell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll agree but also add that I personally really don’t see the difference between a 17 year old dating a 35 year old and a 25 year old dating a 55 year old and honestly view both as equally problematic and indicative of unhealthy imbalances at play, but that entirely comes from my own life experiences with my own friends and family.

I think the real difference is that the brain doesn't finish developing until the mid-20s. The 17 year old is close to the age of majority, but their brain chemistry will be still rewriting itself for a while after that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The French are so weird because they’re liberal when it comes to sex and sexuality but despite their prominent tradition of public philosophical debate they’re almost entirely unreflective when it comes to power relations and sex. See also the MeToo movement being actively resisted by both prominent men and women in France.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MeinPanzer posted:

The French are so weird because they’re liberal when it comes to sex and sexuality but despite their prominent tradition of public philosophical debate they’re almost entirely unreflective when it comes to power relations and sex. See also the MeToo movement being actively resisted by both prominent men and women in France.

Isn’t this at least somewhat related to the relatively large influx of white nationalism into France after World War II? Nazis and Pedofiles were deeply intertwined and many of them saw the awakenings of the sexual revolution of the 50’s and 60’s and 70’s as the perfect smokescreen to introduce ideas about kidfucking into the mainstream, because many people back then (and unfortunately today) see pedofilia as a branch on the same tree as homosexuality?

There is frankly a ton of really hosed up
Pedophilia poo poo happening in Europe after WW2 that gets spread under the guise of liberating your conservative viewpoints etc etc

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the real difference is that the brain doesn't finish developing until the mid-20s. The 17 year old is close to the age of majority, but their brain chemistry will be still rewriting itself for a while after that.

Yeah, the difference isn't that it stops being gross, it's that a 25-year-old is allowed to put themselves in gross, weird situations if they choose to do so. It's gross, but not criminal. Unhealthy relationships are, in and of themselves, not criminal in nature.

Also, that French guy is loving gross and France's penchant for shielding pedophiles and other varieties of rapist is deeply disturbing and needs to change.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I think this is a much deeper-seated problem with French society that has to do with granting a lot of influence to prominent intellectual men who are happy to philosophize about power relations when it comes to everybody else except for themselves. Note, for instance, that Foucault -- whose fundamental approach was exploring the ways in which sexuality and power were intertwined within society -- came out in support of this guy.

It strikes me as much the same sort of issue as prominent French intellectuals criticizing Islam while completely ignoring very similar problems in the Catholic church.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where's that long list of French academics and philosophers signing a thing in support of lowering France's age of consent to 12?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where's that long list of French academics and philosophers signing a thing in support of lowering France's age of consent to 12?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_petition_against_age_of_consent_laws

quote:

A number of French leftist intellectuals - including such prominent names as Louis Aragon, Michel Foucault, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jacques Derrida, Louis Althusser, Roland Barthes, Simone de Beauvoir, Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Michel Leiris, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Philippe Sollers, Jacques Rancière, Jean-François Lyotard, Francis Ponge, and various prominent doctors and psychologists - signed the petition.

Foucault, Derrida and Beauvoir being on that list always make me go "God, WHY?".

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 8, 2020

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a bunch of weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AceOfFlames posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_petition_against_age_of_consent_laws

Foucault, Derrida and Beauvoir being on that list always make me go "God, WHY?".

Basically if you sit in a dark room by yourself constantly waxing philosophical about the meaning of life and huffing your own farts, you hit a wall where you basically assume that the rules and taboos no longer apply to you because you are special. The rampant pederasty of historical philosophers is probably cut from the same cloth that gives us Woody Allen, Brian Singer, and Roman Polanski. They’ve been told their entire lives that they’re special geniuses, and after a fashion you just start to believe it.