Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hum. I think I'm missing something with the First Prepper. I did the deliver -> rest -> email cycle once and he made it to 1 star, but now after a couple more attempts he won't send me any more emails. Does he work differently than the other preppers? Is there a specific mission you need to do for him to make it past 1*? He's at around 500 likes right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Retrieval mission seems to do something with him.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
My man BigSaru is at it again

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gixg8y3uedU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Since I cant read Japanese, the best I can offer is:

There is a delay when you use the 'urinate' command that still allows for input, which then gives you an infinite jump, allowing you to essentially levitate over everything. The speed skeleton gives you even more hopping power.

The last trick was just having some fun with the remote launcher.

And people say this game lacks depth.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now that Death Stranding is out. What are your prediction's for Kojima's next game?

A lot of people are probably expecting him to do a horror game.

What I'd like to see is a war game from the civilian POV like War of Mine or Left Alive (except good)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crosspost form the cosplay PYF thread :) :

CJacobs posted:

Some great Death Stranding cosplay is starting to emerge now the game's been out for a while. :woop:

Sam:

Mama:

Fragile:

Higgs:

This one's a video but it's quite good so check it out.

Deadman (ft. norman reedus):

Heartman:

Cliff:

LOW COST BONUS ROUND

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 6, 2020

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

Now that Death Stranding is out. What are your prediction's for Kojima's next game?

A lot of people are probably expecting him to do a horror game.

What I'd like to see is a war game from the civilian POV like War of Mine or Left Alive (except good)
I'd like to see him make games about increasingly mundane subjects but treated in a similar way as Death Stranding.

Like this was is his mailman game, next we need a game about, I dunno, working in a school cafeteria or something. If you don't make the chicken nuggets on time uh maybe continental drift starts spreading America apart or something.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I'd like to see him make games about increasingly mundane subjects but treated in a similar way as Death Stranding.

Like this was is his mailman game, next we need a game about, I dunno, working in a school cafeteria or something. If you don't make the chicken nuggets on time uh maybe continental drift starts spreading America apart or something.

1Q84: the game, a Kojima Productions joint.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CJacobs posted:

Hum. I think I'm missing something with the First Prepper. I did the deliver -> rest -> email cycle once and he made it to 1 star, but now after a couple more attempts he won't send me any more emails. Does he work differently than the other preppers? Is there a specific mission you need to do for him to make it past 1*? He's at around 500 likes right now.

To complete the first star you have to do the mule retrieval mission. To complete the second star you have to do the pizza mission. I don’t think the pizza mission unlocks until chapter 10.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DalaranJ posted:

To complete the first star you have to do the mule retrieval mission. To complete the second star you have to do the pizza mission. I don’t think the pizza mission unlocks until chapter 10.

:psyduck:

I tried it and this seems to have been it, thank you. That's wild, no idea why his rep could be connected to that mission.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

:psyduck:

I tried it and this seems to have been it, thank you. That's wild, no idea why his rep could be connected to that mission.

It’s not because of him, it’s to make the pizza mission harder.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Huh... It does look like it's like... teleporting in whatever that item is there. I never once saw that happen. I guess this is how Kojima chose to show other players' items showing up in each others games? Heartman does mention multiverses at one point

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DalaranJ posted:

It’s not because of him, it’s to make the pizza mission harder.

Ahh yknow what that makes sense, it would be much easier if you could drop a bunch of ziplines right in front of him to deliver the pizza effortlessly.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

I saw this a bunch of times near one specific zipline I had a little north of Mountain Knot. Don't think I ever saw anything spawn there or anything but also never really thought to get off and check. Adventure for this week I guess.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah that's exactly what it was, thanks y'all

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

CJacobs posted:

Crosspost form the cosplay PYF thread :) :

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
After Death Stranding I feel like giving Horizon Zero Dawn another try. I played it quite a bit the first time but didnt get very far in the story before I lost interest.

I do remember some similarities like Aloy and Sam having practically identical slide move.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Horizon Zero Dawn is excellent, one of the major reasons to own a PS4 imo. For the longest time it single-handedly turned my PS4 into a games console instead of just a 400 Dollar Bloodborne Machine.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 6, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Horizon owns.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
HZD is probably the most accomplished version of the open world Ubisoft formula. Besides maybe Shadow of Mordor depending on how much you like the Nemesis system but HZD has a much better engine.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I snagged the 3 game PS4 bundle at black Friday specifically for DS and after finishing that, I've gotten hooked on Zero Dawn. Absolutely loving the robo-dinos.

...I keep trying to scan for stuff with the Odradek instead of the focus tho.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i played a little bit of the outer worlds and i was just constantly unhappy i couldnt scan for poo poo with the odradek. stuff doesnt highlight very well in that game

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DalaranJ posted:

This is not true at all, I maxed out First Prepper around Chapter 6 or 7. I think you just need to keep delivering stuff to them, though retrieval missions seem to be the best.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Finally beat it, loved most of it. Was even pretty happy w/ most of the story...

the ending though wow, that was a terrible ending. 2 hours of FMV & being talked at via monologue totally removing all agency you have as a player was the most indulgent Kojima poo poo I could have possibly imagined. The ending could have easily been edited down to ~20-30 minutes of FMV with other revelations coming earlier through the course of gameplay and I think it would have been a much stronger game for it. Sad that my least favorite thing about the game was the ending so it ends up being the thing I'll inevitably remember it for. I love Kojima and all of his eccentricities, my tolerance coming into this after playing all of the MGS games was pretty high but he really needs someone to reign him in just a little bit and tell him to stop trying to be a director I feel like... Great at world building, not great at telling a story without going off the rails. Kind of like the GRRM of video games maybe.

also, during the scene at the end w/ Fragile on the beach w/ Higgs I couldn't help but think of this... apologies if it's already been mentioned in the thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR29zxrY2LM

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I had to sum up the story element of this game (not the world building, mind) I'd call it an excellent story told poorly. At the end it had a significant emotional impact on me, it felt like I was being rewarded for maintaining my investment the whole way through. But I couldn't help but feel like it snuck up on me, like I'd missed something in the middle now that it was speeding along at the end. I wish it were more evenly paced throughout instead of coming and going in stops and starts.

It's sad in a way, I think Death Stranding does a great job of juking the problem open world games often have where you can ignore the story for so long you forget what the stakes are and what you're supposed to be doing- the game gets around this by integrating the story into every single thing you do. You're rebuilding America! You're connecting the knots! You're going westward, ho, to find Amelie! You're establishing a rapport with a baby! There's no way to play the game without accomplishing those things and being reminded of them. The problem seems to be, to me anyway, that they tried to have their cake and eat it too. They figured out how to make the story tie into the gameplay, but still wanted to tell one outside of any of the player's input, and it just doesn't gel as well as it could.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 6, 2020

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Oh yeah, that's people's cargo appearing in your world. I saw it a bunch on the mountainside to the MULE camp from the First Prepper's spot along with other people's cargo rolling down the hill. I died a lot there myself.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 7, 2020

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
imo kojima learned a bad lesson from MGSV on how to stretch out a little mocap heavy story over the course of a long, open game. It's mitigated here because the story and gameplay and themes are mesh together well but I think the whole thing would have benefitted from something a little more forward thinking than the episodic story checkpoints. Like the Cliff flashbacks were a good idea at trying to convey the story in another way but it's the exception that proves the rule.

He's very stuck on the idea of being a film director in the mocap studio and sort of duct-tapes his love for it to his games, which he's very good at, but it's a rare bit of backwards thinking for someone who's otherwise pushing the envelope.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

If I had to sum up the story element of this game (not the world building, mind) I'd call it an excellent story told poorly. At the end it had a significant emotional impact on me, it felt like I was being rewarded for maintaining my investment the whole way through. But I couldn't help but feel like it snuck up on me, like I'd missed something in the middle now that it was speeding along at the end. I wish it were more evenly paced throughout instead of coming and going in stops and starts.

That's heavy, man. If I have a tombstone, your post is going on there.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RatHat posted:

This is not true at all, I maxed out First Prepper around Chapter 6 or 7. I think you just need to keep delivering stuff to them, though retrieval missions seem to be the best.

Oh, sorry. It definitely sent me an email from him seemingly randomly right after I finished the pizza mission.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Re: the story I saw someone point out it was a lot at the start and end with nothing in between.

I loved the game and the world but yeah the story was a little all over the place

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my major issue with the story so far nearing what i assume is the end of chapter 6 is that every time i have a story mission for sam i am concerned i will get locked out of the regular gameplay loop and stuck in some expository bit and if i'm not in the mood for that, well, it slows down my progression of the other pieces of the story a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some enterprising players have finally figured out what the Bell accessory does. The description claims to have some effect on BTs but doesn't specify what the effect is or even if it's positive or negative. It turns out it apparently causes there to be several times as many BTs floating around in every BT zone as long as you're wearing it. So if you stuck it on your backpack hoping it would make stealth easier or something, bad news, you accidentally enabled hard mode! I haven't confirmed this for myself yet but I'm currently wearing it and the tiny BT zone next to the Photographer had like 20 BTs there last time I wandered through, so it seems plausible.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

CJacobs posted:

Some enterprising players have finally figured out what the Bell accessory does. The description claims to have some effect on BTs but doesn't specify what the effect is or even if it's positive or negative. It turns out it apparently causes there to be several times as many BTs floating around in every BT zone as long as you're wearing it. So if you stuck it on your backpack hoping it would make stealth easier or something, bad news, you accidentally enabled hard mode! I haven't confirmed this for myself yet but I'm currently wearing it and the tiny BT zone next to the Photographer had like 20 BTs there last time I wandered through, so it seems plausible.

Lol that owns no wonder BT areas seem worse.

I wonder if it has an effect on Chiral BT spawn rates.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Obviously the solution is to leave it equipped on purpose so you can rip and tear :black101:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao if that bell stuff is true no fuckin wonder I was choppin like 2 umbilical cords every 5 feet

night slime
May 14, 2014
Haha. Makes sense that a bell would have a negative effect

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I just tested it with the BT zone next to the photographer and it was like night and day. There are so many more of them.

Bell:

(4 normal BTs and a baby BT in front of one of them)

No bell:

(3 normal BTs)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 7, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

excellent

night slime
May 14, 2014
Went back and looked and it says "rumored to have some kind of effect against BTs..." not the best phrasing for something like that. "On" would have been better. Still a funny prank or attempted misdirection I guess.

night slime fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Been messing around with the bell and noticed it seems to be a double-or-nothing effect. Places with BTs are empty occasionally for about ten minutes without me having done anything in the area, which I've never seen before, or they seem to have a giant BT boss there after you get captured. If you really hate that effect that plays it might be worth a shot.