Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mister Speaker posted:

This is some old man rambling bullshit, but the Epstein bit at the end was ice cold.

TERF or not (and he deffo is), I can appreciate when a joke draws the most deliciously awkward groans from an audience. My favourite one to that end was his bit on steroids (around 4:30 in the original video if you want to find it). It got buried amidst the other hot scandals he joked about, but the groan from the audience was just perfect, because they know that everyone is on that poo poo but nobody in the industry has the balls to say so. I wish we'd have gotten a Mark Wahlberg reaction shot from that one.

My first reaction was everyone not laughing was probably in Epstein's little black book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mister Speaker posted:

This is some old man rambling bullshit, but the Epstein bit at the end was ice cold.

TERF or not (and he deffo is), I can appreciate when a joke draws the most deliciously awkward groans from an audience. My favourite one to that end was his bit on steroids (around 4:30 in the original video if you want to find it). It got buried amidst the other hot scandals he joked about, but the groan from the audience was just perfect, because they know that everyone is on that poo poo but nobody in the industry has the balls to say so. I wish we'd have gotten a Mark Wahlberg reaction shot from that one.

I'm reminded of that Tom Lehrer bit:

"I particularly remember a heartwarming novel of his about a young necrophiliac who finally achieved his boyhood ambition by becoming coroner."

*hisses and ahems from the audience, one or two laughs*

"...The rest of you can look it up when you get home."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

IUG posted:

J.K. Rolland, the Harry Potter author.

i said jkr

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DandyLion posted:

My first reaction was everyone not laughing was probably in Epstein's little black book.

Trump probably laughed at Ricky taking them hollywood libs down a peg or two despite probably having a whole page in that book to himself.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tired:

Transgender
Exclusionary
Radical
Feminist

Wired:

Feminism
Appropriating
Radical
Transphobe

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Nah, it's a commentary on the modern economy and stuff like modern workers getting less time off than a medieval peasant.

Here in 2020 your only options are TERF and Serf.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Data Graham posted:

I'm reminded of that Tom Lehrer bit:

"I particularly remember a heartwarming novel of his about a young necrophiliac who finally achieved his boyhood ambition by becoming coroner."

*hisses and ahems from the audience, one or two laughs*

"...The rest of you can look it up when you get home."

Can you explain this? I don’t get it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Look it up. You'll be happy with what you find.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ruddiger posted:

Trump probably laughed at Ricky taking them hollywood libs down a peg or two despite probably having a whole page in that book to himself.

Has anyone ever seen Trump laugh? I just assumed as broken a human being as he was he was pathologically incapable.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy posted:

ultrafilter posted:

Look it up. You'll be happy with what you find.

I looked the song up but I’m trying to figure out what the quoted line has to do with Gervais. I’m assuming the “look it up” was back before the internet most people didn’t know what a necrophiliac was?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Also the joke that went something like "Next up is Sandra Bullock of Bird Box, a movie where you all pretend that you can't see anything...like all of you who worked with Harvey Weinstein."

Ricky Gervais is a stupid gently caress who should never be allowed to have a comedy special again, but props for that one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AFewBricksShy posted:

I looked the song up but I’m trying to figure out what the quoted line has to do with Gervais. I’m assuming the “look it up” was back before the internet most people didn’t know what a necrophiliac was?

It reminded me of it because it’s the same kind of “anticipate and play off the audience’s lukewarm reaction” stunt, which the post I quoted was talking about, or so I thought

Also yeah humor in 1957 was .. a little different

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ah, I was reading it as "look up the book when you get home" which was even less funny.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The followup line was implying that the only reason people weren’t laughing was that they’re stupid

When in fact they were just being “tasteful”

He was taking the piss out of stuffed shirts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ah, I was reading it as "look up the book when you get home" which was even less funny.

It is a book.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Paladinus posted:

It is a book.

What, the dictionary?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Paladinus posted:

It is a book.

Thats just a little bit of cockney humor. He means to imply the joke is overcooked.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Roblo posted:

That...just sounds like an old man rambling. I mean yeah sure delivery or whatever but he just sounds like a bitter old rear end in a top hat. Which is of course what he is.

Tbf, entertainers who are bitter old assholes are less likely to be pedophiles than the ones who are extremely excited about working in Hollywood

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That joke is pretty problematic, tbh.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ruddiger posted:

Trump laughs at people making fun of his own sons

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Paladinus posted:

It is a book.

Gonna give that one a respectful golf clap for a perfectly executed :dadjoke:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MizPiz posted:

Trump laughs at people making fun of his own sons

The orange man wearing adult diapers from television has poor self control you say?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, can someone explain, fully, the necro joke, please ?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Bananana posted:

Coroners handle dead people. He got to gently caress the bodies.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TK-42-1 posted:

Coroners handle dead people. He got to gently caress the bodies.

Which is incredibly unprofessional.
You're supposed to wait until you're off the clock to crack open a cold one

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Beautiful post/avatar txt combo.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

The Moon Monster posted:

Why is TERFism so big in the UK anyway? Is it just that the vague religious/moral/"it ain't right" objections you see in the US don't fly there so they needed to innovate some other line of attack?

I've also heard - and it's not an unreasonable take - that there's a long-rear end tradition in British comedy of 'blokes in dresses', from variety theater and Drag through Monty Python and even up more recent shows like Little Britain or League of Gentlemen. So for some people, they see someone cross-dressing and deep-seated in their minds, it's an act, or a joke, or something.

Also, there's an awful lot of TERFs who are just arseholes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wolfechu posted:

I've also heard - and it's not an unreasonable take - that there's a long-rear end tradition in British comedy of 'blokes in dresses', from variety theater and Drag through Monty Python and even up more recent shows like Little Britain or League of Gentlemen. So for some people, they see someone cross-dressing and deep-seated in their minds, it's an act, or a joke, or something.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Yeah, but when Bugs does it, it's kinda hot.

Or so I'm told.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wolfechu posted:

Just gonna be pedantic for a sec to point out that it's not cross dressing if a trans person dresses according to their identity

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfechu posted:

There's also the part where the usual newspapers have been on a Trans-phobic crusade for ages now. I think that's one of the main reason why regular people who otherwise wouldn't give a poo poo either way how people decide to present become rabid hate machines.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Why is TERFism so big in the UK anyway? Is it just that the vague religious/moral/"it ain't right" objections you see in the US don't fly there so they needed to innovate some other line of attack?

Tbh, that's a better explanation than any of the others I've seen

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Wolfechu posted:

Yeah, but when Bugs does it, it's kinda hot.

Or so I'm told.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The MUMPSorceress posted:

Just gonna be pedantic for a sec to point out that it's not cross dressing if a trans person dresses according to their identity

No, you're right, although in the comedic stuff they're associating with the trans movement, it's usually cross dressing. I doubt any of Monty Python are actually trans, and given Gilliam and Cleese being terrible of late, I think we'd be lucky if any of them were even progressive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wolfechu posted:

No, you're right, although in the comedic stuff they're associating with the trans movement, it's usually cross dressing. I doubt any of Monty Python are actually trans, and given Gilliam and Cleese being terrible of late, I think we'd be lucky if any of them were even progressive.

Which is silly because I doubt british comedic cross-dressing has anything at all to do with trans. It's fun to dress up an act silly. It's more a send up of gender norms than any kind of meanspirted mockery of women. If blokes were free to wear dresses and make up and get their hair did whenever they felt like it, then there would be nothing funny about a bloke in a dress. Gender norms suck.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

The MUMPSorceress posted:

It's brutal how there is the unspoken assumption that a trans person is intentionally or unintentionally involved in some sort of deception when in reality they're probably just trying to get through their loving day like the rest of us.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

spongepuppy posted:

It's brutal how there is the unspoken assumption that a trans person is intentionally or unintentionally involved in some sort of deception when in reality they're probably just trying to get through their loving day like the rest of us.

Exactly.

Christ, someone post a funny picture; I'm all tapped out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

GENDER NORMS

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

snergle posted:

are there even any women terfs besides jkr on mumsnet or is it all men. because every new terf i see is a dude.

A lot of old-fashioned misogynists are jumping on the terf bandwagon because it lets them push gender-essentialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Which is silly because I doubt british comedic cross-dressing has anything at all to do with trans. It's fun to dress up an act silly. It's more a send up of gender norms than any kind of meanspirted mockery of women. If blokes were free to wear dresses and make up and get their hair did whenever they felt like it, then there would be nothing funny about a bloke in a dress. Gender norms suck.

Britain has/had a number of transvestite comedians in the 80s/90s (Eddie Izzard, Paul o'grady etc) and it wouldn't surprise me if the boomer generation just can't be bothered to learn the difference between transvestite and transexual and so assume they're the same thing