Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yo Randaconda is gonna poo poo when he gets back in the thread lol

I hope he does.

SANDWICH ANARCHIST: done

TASHILICIOUS: must make and present homemade mayo before January 16, 2020

ELVISCAT: must make and present homemade mayo before January 13, 2020

ADMIRAL JOESLOP: must make and present homemade mayo before January 13, 2020

RANDACONDA: must make and present homemade mayo before January 16, 2020

I'm giving him extra days since Sandwich Anarchist, the first mayo maker, volunteered his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

re-representing the PYF Mayonnaise Recipe:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

ADMIRAL JOESLOP : must make and present homemade mayo before January 13, 2020

BONUS ROUND:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
How come I'm not on the Done list?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

How come I'm not on the Done list?

Because you didn't post new mayo, you posted previous mayo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Because you didn't post new mayo, you posted previous mayo

oh word. oh well, still made mayo at one point.

Mayo bounus, same friends and I made some sous-vide steaks, glazed them with homemade mayo and cooked it like that...they were very nice

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jan 7, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

oh word. oh well, still made mayo at one point.

Why would you not make more mayonnaise? Especially when a mod would change your avatar title because he's terrible at graphics?

P.S. Anyone who makes the gang tag for and about homemade mayonnaise that we find good will get it for free, alongside these other home cooks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I hope he does.

SANDWICH ANARCHIST: done

TASHILICIOUS: must make and present homemade mayo before January 16, 2020

ELVISCAT: must make and present homemade mayo before January 13, 2020

ADMIRAL JOESLOP: done

LIFESUNDEATH: done

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why would you not make more mayonnaise? Especially when a mod would change your avatar title because he's terrible at graphics?

P.S. Anyone who makes the gang tag for and about homemade mayonnaise that we find good will get it for free, alongside these other home cooks.

handmade goo crew

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Yeah! I love being on lists!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yeah! I love being on lists!

Well, yeah, you've been a PYF poster forever.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
After the mayo and ranch dressing grilled cheese chat last page, I decided that that could be half of dinner.

At bottom: grilled cheese made with sharp cheddar, and thinly-spread mayonnaise on the bread instead of butter. The mayo imparted a nice tang that balanced well with the cheddar. This browned very quickly though.

At top: same type of grilled cheese, but with homemade ranch dressing that I had on hand (mayo/sour cream/buttermilk with garlic, onion, za'atar and a bit of lemon) instead of plain mayonnaise. It was very tasty - the garlic/onion/za'atar came through strongly and I'll do this one again, probably with some coffee stout as a chaser.

For the Great Mayonnaise Challenge of 2020, I give you recipes from the height of the Great Depression (1934):

I've made mayonnaise often enough but having failed to remain silent on the subject, I'll make and document my usual (mayo #1).

TofuDiva has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Jan 7, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

First of all, yes, mayo is far better on grilled cheese than butter, and second, yes — show us Mayonnaise Dressing No. 1!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That thousand island recipe looks downright yummy :eyepop:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Jan 7, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Dangit, yours is much better, mine was quick and dirty but I couldn't resist the name.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

been looking for spicy mayo recipes. This one advertised itself as 'homemade spicy mayo'

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I don't remember if I've posted it here or not, but I used to work in a grocery store and found this in someone's locker once:

Those jars sat there for over a week before they finally disappeared. :barf:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no egg, no dairy, it's fine it'll keep :v:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

been looking for spicy mayo recipes. This one advertised itself as 'homemade spicy mayo'

That's....not really very homemade.

It is, however, awesome on cheap frozen crab cakes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Synthbuttrange posted:

no egg, no dairy, it's fine it'll keep :v:

In 2017 I was cleaning the pantry onboard a ship, we found a half-empty 2-gallon tub of mayo, that had been sitting unrefrigerated, and featured an expiration date from two-thousand-loving-one, the look and smell was loving indescribable, it was intensely yellow.

The ship was commissioned in 2003, no one knows how that poo poo even got onboard. This fueled my hatred for the vile substance.

I wish I had taken pictures so I had actual content.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bees on Wheat posted:

I don't remember if I've posted it here or not, but I used to work in a grocery store and found this in someone's locker once:

Those jars sat there for over a week before they finally disappeared. :barf:

Ugh, Vegenaise. I used to work a deli for a natural foods co-op, so I'd have to make like 10 lbs of vegan "chicken" salad once or twice a week. Now I'm no mayo hater, I love dipping fries in some quality homemade mayo, but that stuff...

It's grey. I don't know why, but when you open a gallon jar of it and see it in that quantity, it is very distinctly grey, not creamy colored. Why they don't add a bit of turmeric or carrot extract or something in it to off-set that, I have no idea.

As for flavor... it's passable in something like the broccoli salad I had to make, but I wouldn't straight up stick it on a sandwich.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Manuel Calavera posted:

Skyline is better, I will fight you on this. Gold Star is trash tier.

Camp Washington is the best Cincinnati chili :colbert:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Surströmming? That's a good dog.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Well drat, if this ends up being the tag can we join the mayo crew even if we don't besmirch its good name? Grew up with dukes and I was legit happy when I found it in my normal grocery store where I am now up north, instead of having to go to the fancy store in the burbs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all you need to do is make mayo.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'm really sorry to interrupt the mayo mayhem in this thread, but these pictures that came up in my FB feed need a place in this thread.

Cheese Fondue with Cordon Bleu pieces.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mushika posted:

Surströmming? That's a good dog.

Surströmming is apparently really bad

This professional Swedish Surströmming eating expert has such glowing praise such as "you can get used to it" "it's not so bad" and "the smell from the can is foul, but the smell from the fish is not so bad."

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Helios Grime posted:

I'm really sorry to interrupt the mayo mayhem in this thread, but these pictures that came up in my FB feed need a place in this thread.

would
instantly
unashamedly
I don't care if I die I need this

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Helios Grime posted:

That looks actually good. Really heavy but good. Who the gently caress drinks fanta with a fondue though?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I hope he does.

I'm giving him extra days since Sandwich Anarchist, the first mayo maker, volunteered his rear end.

You might as well go ahead and ban me for failing the challenge, I don't have the stuff to make mayo, and can't afford to rush out to buy stuff to make it, especially since it'll just be wasted

Pretty hosed up to get banned over this, though :smith:

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jan 7, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

you can make mayo with 1 egg, the oil, vinegar and mustard and a fork.

can you get 1 egg? :ohdear:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

you can make mayo with 1 egg, the oil, vinegar and mustard and a fork.

can you get 1 egg? :ohdear:

You can even drop the mustard.

You can even drop the egg and substitute it with cornstarch and milk/water for people allergic to eggs. It won't be as good, but it technically counts as mayo.

There's only one important step to remember if you don't want to gently caress it up; all ingredients must be at room temperature.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I WANT TO SEE THE WORST MAYO

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

I WANT TO SEE THE WORST MAYO

GRANTED

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I WANT TO UNSEE THE WORST MAYO

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

what the christ

did you accidentally make grits

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's pulsing

what insult to God have you created

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda posted:

You might as well go ahead and ban me for failing the challenge, I don't have the stuff to make mayo, and can't afford to rush out to buy stuff to make it, especially since it'll just be wasted

Pretty hosed up to get banned over this, though :smith:

you seriously just need one egg, some oil. that's it. I believe in you rranda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

what the christ

did you accidentally make grits

Not mine, but I did fail a mayo once (because the egg and mustard were too cold) and it looked exactly like that