Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started playing the online a couple of days ago with some friends. We've mostly just been plowing through the story missions. We have done random stranger missions if one of us isn't available though.

So far the only guns I've bought have been the bolt action and the varmint rifle, as they seem to be pretty highly recommended. I just barely made enough gold bars over two days to pay 10g for the trader profession thing. Not sure if that was the best use of the gold, but I figured grabbing it will it was still 5 bars off was sensible. I've run a few carts of goods, and am at trader level 4.

Apart from that, I spent $700 upgrading a couple of the passive cards to level 2. Currently level 21, and still using the starter shithorse.

Any suggestions for what to focus on at this point? I feel like a better horse would be really useful. I see a lot of recommendations for the mustang at 27, but I am not quite there yet. A bandoleer also sounds like it might be a worthwhile expenditure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Orv
May 4, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just started playing the online a couple of days ago with some friends. We've mostly just been plowing through the story missions. We have done random stranger missions if one of us isn't available though.

So far the only guns I've bought have been the bolt action and the varmint rifle, as they seem to be pretty highly recommended. I just barely made enough gold bars over two days to pay 10g for the trader profession thing. Not sure if that was the best use of the gold, but I figured grabbing it will it was still 5 bars off was sensible. I've run a few carts of goods, and am at trader level 4.

Apart from that, I spent $700 upgrading a couple of the passive cards to level 2. Currently level 21, and still using the starter shithorse.

Any suggestions for what to focus on at this point? I feel like a better horse would be really useful. I see a lot of recommendations for the mustang at 27, but I am not quite there yet. A bandoleer also sounds like it might be a worthwhile expenditure.

Just a heads up bandoleers are entirely cosmetic, they do not do what you might - being a reasonable person - think they would.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ha, well you probably just saved me $350 from that double bandoleer then.

Will probably just make sure I can get the trader cart upgrade next. After that I'll probably just do more hunting and grind for a mustang.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
God drat, but Collector pays out hard with the Outlaw Pass active. Used the jeanropke map to try and chase down as much as possible, and the two night-time flowers would have driven me *insane* otherwise. Turned in all 4 tarot card sets, the bottles, flowers and lost heirlooms all in one go. Bought some stuff from Madam Nazar, headed back to camp... and still had like five minutes of alerts from regular levelling, Collector levelling and the Outlaw Pass gimmes.

Weird poo poo: small wagon Trader delivery down New Austin way, headed to Macfarlane Ranch, and managed to drop the wagon off a cliff in those nasty narrow trails in the big canyon. Respawn, still have like 9 minutes to recover what goods are left and continue. Except my goods are somehow way the gently caress and gone in Valentine. :dogstare: Yeah, didn't even try.

Less weird: Stooging around the entire world chasing collectibles, running into multiple ambushes from every enemy gang. Running into multiple hideouts and rescue missions, too. poo poo that was *rarely* happening during random freeroaming. :iiam: At Pleasance, I got: Lemoyne ambush; Murfree kidnapping; Lemoyne ambush; Lemoyne camp just south across the river; and the same guy that triggered the ambushes suddenly *wasn't* an rear end in a top hat, and I gave him a ride to Braithwaite manor.

After which I *finally* get to fail finding a jewelry item by the graves. :smith:

Managed to do some Moonshiner poo poo, finally. Got me a cook, then I had multiple disconnects and/or infinite loading screens (sure, use 30-32% of my CPU for a black screen with a spinning cylinder, why not), and got one completed blow-stills-up mission. Followed by one completed booze delivery. (19/20 bottles lived)

But first, it was the "Shine Is Thicker Than Water" story mission. More like "slam your balls in a car door". Kills the guards, not too hard. Run around the entire camp for almost ten minutes because the required letter wasn't showing up in Eagle Eye. Horse off to the prisoner transfer, managing to avoid/outrun all the enemies hunting me. Whack the guards there, get the dude out of the wagon, and suddenly...

...it stops being a western and starts being Rorke's Drift. As Custer once said, "My, look at all the Indians." Lawmen kept swarming from all over, I'm surprised they didn't have a gatling or two. About loving ran out of ammo before it was all done.

And that's when I went collecting.

At Radley's Cabin, ran into a cutscene with a dude, gave me a mission, except the mission didn't actually start?

However, bought or was given free poo poo, so now I have the pimp Rexroad coat and a couple different offhand holsters. In the catalog, it looks like I can buy some level-locked stuff early for straight gold - is this just an early purchase, or does it let me use my new stuff now? I want my drat sombrero *now*, but I don't want to hunt down someone wearing one every time I connect/reconnect/change clothes, either.

And finally, did some bounties - holy *poo poo* I want a bounty horse, thyose fuckers are rocket-propelled and apparently Dragic-powered, because they *instantly* light out of the fight and never stop - the big abandoned mine off the to west end of New Austin? Chased one from there more than 70-75% to the eastern border before I caught up, and then *my* horse had a conniption and dude ghosted again.

Bolas are still locked, of course.

Cripps now has a nice Bounty Hunter outfit - might go with the Mercenary one when it's unlocked, but I really kinda want to add a Bandidos H/C back patch...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

To whoever asked pages ago: No, barber stuff you buy with gold is NOT permanently unlocked.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No love for the Pump Action Shotgun? I haven't used anything else because I just love pumpin'

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

SplitSoul posted:

To whoever asked pages ago: No, barber stuff you buy with gold is NOT permanently unlocked.

Wow that sucks you'd think they'd at least turn it to where it just costs regular bucks.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

No love for the Pump Action Shotgun? I haven't used anything else because I just love pumpin'

it's no semi auto but the pump absolutely shreds while you're leveling up

seems better than the repeating shotgun based on the stats but I haven't really tested it

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I’m surprised they haven’t made the equivalent of the Mare’s Leg for the one handed slot yet, having a pocket repeater would be all kinds of useful.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd buy a little derringer that goes in the melee weapon slot

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Filthy Monkey posted:

Save your money and level up your trader as best you can. The level 20 trader horse is one of the best. I used the lovely starter horse until I leveled up bounty hunter for the level 20 horse and I don’t regret it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

However, bought or was given free poo poo, so now I have the pimp Rexroad coat and a couple different offhand holsters. In the catalog, it looks like I can buy some level-locked stuff early for straight gold - is this just an early purchase, or does it let me use my new stuff now? I want my drat sombrero *now*, but I don't want to hunt down someone wearing one every time I connect/reconnect/change clothes, either.

if you use gold to buy clothing items you can wear them right away. The gold is paying for you skipping waiting for the level unlock. This is a tip that lets people dual wield at level 1 by buying the cheapest offhand holster for like 1 bar.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And dual Cattlemans is not bad at all.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Twice tonight I've been teleported and exploded by hackers. Before this I've encountered just one invincible dude with unlimited dynamite arrows in a PvP mode. Cool that :rockstar: still haven't figured out basic anti-cheat measures and intelligently decided against private sessions this time around.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

SplitSoul posted:

Twice tonight I've been teleported and exploded by hackers. Before this I've encountered just one invincible dude with unlimited dynamite arrows in a PvP mode. Cool that :rockstar: still haven't figured out basic anti-cheat measures and intelligently decided against private sessions this time around.

Well, they haven't figured out how to keep you from being teleported by the game engine itself without hackers - more than once, I've gotten bamfed to a nearby location after entering a building/accepting a mission/finishing a mission and leaving the building.

doingitwrong - thankee kindly, sombrero powers will be activated once I get home. Too bad that doesn't work on role-specific items, else I'd have a matching set of ridiculous shiny bounty-hunter holsters too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Collector belt/holster is pretty sweet, too, and you'll unlock that in no time.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I was alt-tabbed out in my camp. I heard my horse making some strange noises, so I tabbed back in. I found this.

My horse is dumb.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

And dual Cattlemans is not bad at all.

bads avoid the cattleman because it's your starting weapon and surely anything you have to pay money for is going to better right???

the cattleman whips rear end and takes the metallic material-swaps really well. The Colt Single-Action Army is a super pretty gun.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 7, 2020

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Meant to open the menu and exit out of online...punched my horse in the face instead.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

punching your horse is never an accident, that's just your character briefly taking over control of their own life and making the best of their limited time.

Those horses know what they did.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They deserve a punch for all the times they run into or trip over things for no reason.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So i just got to chapter 6 and went and saw Leviticus Cornwall with Dutch... Thanks Dutch. I think i remember that Arthur dies then you play as John for the postgame can i still grow my beard and stuff as John and finish stranger missions?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Coming from a lot of GTA Online, I've instinctively hit F instead of E more than a few times. It's always impressive how quickly even the slowest of horses can whip around and deck you.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Unrelated, started out with Online and was eternally frustrated by there not appearing to be a "just fuckin stop, dangit" button.

Then I decided to play SP for a bit and wouldn't you know it pops up as a tooltip almost immediately.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

every time my horse trips out in scenic and brains itself on a pebble it gets so many snacks.

u horse punchers are evil

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

verbal enema posted:

So i just got to chapter 6 and went and saw Leviticus Cornwall with Dutch... Thanks Dutch. I think i remember that Arthur dies then you play as John for the postgame can i still grow my beard and stuff as John and finish stranger missions?

Some, but not all. A couple have a hard limit of Arthur's existence. There's also a couple that start after.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Sleekly posted:

every time my horse trips out in scenic and brains itself on a pebble it gets so many snacks.

u horse punchers are evil

I want to point out that horse eyeballs are not particularly separately rendered so when my horse dumped itself in mud I was absolutely horrified that it had mud literally in its eyes

Immediately decided it was time to get a brush which, if you think about it...

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

SplitSoul posted:

On the other hand if you buy a gun variant, it's yours forever. I used a coupon to finally buy the Lancaster, and then spent another coupon to get the Collector variant before realizing I hadn't bought the barrel/sights/rifling upgrades. But I was able to switch back to the regular version of the gun, buy the upgrades, then switch back without having to re-buy the variant skin. If only GTAO did this with aircraft weapon attachments.

Also, for anyone getting into moonshining the upgrades work just like the medium and large delivery wagons for Trader. You can't buy the polished copper upgrade without buying the condenser first.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Babe Magnet posted:

The Colt Single-Action Army is a super pretty gun.

Some might say it's the greatest handgun ever made. Its six bullets are certainly enough to kill anything that moves.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm getting some gold back from ranking up in the Outlaw Pass, I think I'm at 20 or 25 now so I've been thinking to open up a new role; I have only bounty hunter and moonshiner left to unlock, first one because I always found bounty hunting pretty boring, second one because it's super expensive at 25 gold bars and seems to just be a more difficult "trader" job for the same economic rewards?

can anyone give me a quick rundown of these two roles and if it's worth spending gold bars on unlocking them?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Dick Jones posted:

On the other hand if you buy a gun variant, it's yours forever. I used a coupon to finally buy the Lancaster, and then spent another coupon to get the Collector variant before realizing I hadn't bought the barrel/sights/rifling upgrades. But I was able to switch back to the regular version of the gun, buy the upgrades, then switch back without having to re-buy the variant skin. If only GTAO did this with aircraft weapon attachments.

Also, for anyone getting into moonshining the upgrades work just like the medium and large delivery wagons for Trader. You can't buy the polished copper upgrade without buying the condenser first.

speaking of, i'm betting RDR Online has weaponized gliders or dirigibles by this time next year.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I'm getting some gold back from ranking up in the Outlaw Pass, I think I'm at 20 or 25 now so I've been thinking to open up a new role; I have only bounty hunter and moonshiner left to unlock, first one because I always found bounty hunting pretty boring, second one because it's super expensive at 25 gold bars and seems to just be a more difficult "trader" job for the same economic rewards?

can anyone give me a quick rundown of these two roles and if it's worth spending gold bars on unlocking them?

u can moonshine without having to hunt, and with the animal bug thing levelling trading is slow and frustrating.

moonshine you just gotta have certain herbs and the outlaw pass will have probably already given you enough for soma fancy rear end shine. go shine imo

plus u can buy a band, invite everyone in session get real drunk and badly so badly dance and play instruments

Orv
May 4, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Moonshiner is essentially a more involved trader, yes. It comes with some new mission types which are fun enough but nothing world shattering.

Bounty hunter is two things. Legendary bounties, which are instanced missions where you have various involved elements but the end result is always capturing and returning someone(s) to jail. Some of them are pretty fun, some of them are pretty dumb. Then you have regular bounties which are the same thing just out in the world with less involved scenarios. Bounty hunting is mostly good, in my experince, for "I wanna shoot a buncha dudes right now" because about 75% of the missions involve that. It can also be insanely annoying to deal with between Rockstar game design and Rockstar bugs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sleekly posted:

u can moonshine without having to hunt, and with the animal bug thing levelling trading is slow and frustrating.

moonshine you just gotta have certain herbs and the outlaw pass will have probably already given you enough for soma fancy rear end shine. go shine imo

On the other hand, there's a bug with moonshine that straight up steals your product and the $60 spent on mash.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Orv posted:

Moonshiner is essentially a more involved trader, yes. It comes with some new mission types which are fun enough but nothing world shattering.

Bounty hunter is two things. Legendary bounties, which are instanced missions where you have various involved elements but the end result is always capturing and returning someone(s) to jail. Some of them are pretty fun, some of them are pretty dumb. Then you have regular bounties which are the same thing just out in the world with less involved scenarios. Bounty hunting is mostly good, in my experince, for "I wanna shoot a buncha dudes right now" because about 75% of the missions involve that. It can also be insanely annoying to deal with between Rockstar game design and Rockstar bugs.

SplitSoul posted:

On the other hand, there's a bug with moonshine that straight up steals your product and the $60 spent on mash.

Ouch. OK I guess I can wait for the coming patches then, unless the role perks are something that I'd want right now but I kinda doubt it. I'm going to be able to eventually afford both anyways, if I finish up the Outlaw Pass at least. Some things from the Bounty Hunter unlocks meanwhile sound pretty good, like running/galloping in eagle eye or ducking on your horse

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah bounty hunting is the only one you can count on sadly.
i just found it dull on its own.

if you're collecting you wont really notice the loss from the shine issue so its kinda the not worst option :rockstar:

e: even with BH you can get the awesome disconnect issue at ANY time so yeah

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 7, 2020

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Moonshining killed a lot of interest for me with all the bugs/lost mash/loading screen/whatever. I should've went outlaw pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sleekly posted:

yeah bounty hunting is the only one you can count on sadly.
i just found it dull on its own.

if you're collecting you wont really notice the loss from the shine issue so its kinda the not worst option :rockstar:

e: even with BH you can get the awesome disconnect issue at ANY time so yeah

Oh well it's not like collector is super fun, just walking around and finding stuff. I wouldn't do that 3 hours in a row every day, but it's fine to do as a break from other stuff - right now my loop is "go hunting, resupply, trade, start again" and every couple hours of doing that I get bored and go collect some stuff (or will go hunting a bounty when I unlock that).

What I'd love is more story missions or more missions in general, the "stranger" ones are cute but get pretty repetitive and they generally pay a pittance.

Cage posted:

Moonshining killed a lot of interest for me with all the bugs/lost mash/loading screen/whatever. I should've went outlaw pass.

Definitely. The pass seems to be "nothing special" at first sight because it's just (plenty of) in-game discounts, cosmetics, free services and provisions; but between vouchers and free stuff it potentially saves you a LOT of cash and time and that's pretty nice with all the role upgrades and tools being super expensive - 650€ for a stew pot, drat - since I do eventually want the weapon locker, large wagon, hunting wagon, a dog, a metal detector and so on it's very good for me since that'll set me back at least 2500-3000$ so any amount saved is a real boon, also you get all your gold back eventually and it's not that hard to grind through the ranks (I'm level 50 without even trying, in like 4-5 days of playing "seriously")

By the way, besides looks, is there a point in upgrading your tent? I mean the "core recharge" is borderline useless since I have more provisions than I'll ever be able to use, and since you can't even sleep at camp, I don't really see the point, not even from a roleplaying point of view

Oh and one last thing, is it WAD that I'm underweight all the time? I've started wolfing down several bowls of stew every time I'm at camp, and I munched through my entire stack of plain cooked meats just to try and get back to normal, but I'm still underweight and can't seem to even move one step towards "normal". Had the same problem in singleplayer too...