Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
the last panel of the second row makes an okay punchline; the third row is entirely superfluous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Why doesn't he just cut a hole into his pants for his tail instead of awkwardly having it look like his rear end is out? I don't know why that's what bothers me most but it does.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

whew, thanks for that mookie, i didn't quite catch that aspect of snout and i really needed that spelled clearly out for me in text

in this dialogue-free comic

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, the gently caress is that throwing motion?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I legitimately forgot he took a break for this and in the time between the last post and this one I forgot entirely about this comic and that I was following this thread. The unforgivable sin of being forgettably mediocre has been confirmed this day.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Yeah I absentmindedly clicked on the "unread posts" box without really paying attention to what it was attached to and then went "oh right, this is a thing" upon seeing the image.

It truly is forgettably mediocre. I think there's a good chance something stupid will happen when he finally leaves, but weeeee'llllll seeeeeeeeeee

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well, Snout being afraid to leave the Wild Edge was implied pretty loving hard the page before break. So of course after break, we need that explicitly stated. Honestly, kinda important given how utterly forgettable every aspect of this comic is.

Happy New Year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_f5fkrCTA

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Imagine being too scared to leave the land of infinite deadly (but apparently inordinately stupid) monsters.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thank you for making this actually funny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Imagine being too scared to leave the land of infinite deadly (but apparently inordinately stupid) monsters.

Yeah it's kinda hard to do Refusal of the Call when you already live in the Adventure land.

Not impossible, but this is the first we're hearing of Snout being terrified of the outside world.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That's the problem, he's terrified of giving up the wonderful thrills and excitement, the breathtaking scenery of The Wild Edge.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Being scared of the unknown is normal even if your daily routine is living in a scary, dangerous place. That's a silly complaint to have. A more real problem is that we don't really know what that routine is for Snout, with things like Snout not giving a gently caress about his house being blown up not making much sense. That would have certainly been a better point to follow the call to adventure; the witch could have stayed with him and been the one to guide him to the pages using ink telepathy or some poo poo then when he has everything his house gets blown up, at which point he might as well travel around.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean yeah, I'd buy him being scared of change if his circumstances weren't changing all the drat time. The only consistency he's had in this is his obsession with visiting the hentai distribution library. And the reason he's got to leave the wild edge is because it failed him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

who's he writing for.

I guess this question could apply to both snouth and mookie

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Snout's routine is whatever Mookie imagines his character in No Man's Sky might do. Unfortunately he forgets to actually translate that into representation on the page. His characters can read his mind, but the audience can't.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like the idea of living in such poo poo conditions but being so used to it that you’re scared to move on to something you’re not used to even if it’s better. But, obviously that isn’t the intention. If Snout enjoyed more of the Wild Edge besides the one part most similar to what you’d find outside of it, it’d be better executed.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ahh, three great tastes that go together: too much text, explaining things that don't need it, and Snout cock.

Oh, and Deegan worship for no good reason. This page really has it all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A STORY ENTIRELY WITHOUT DIALOGUE.

For gently caress's loving sake this is a parody at this point.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Just grinding my horn straight into the hard cavern floor. Don't even tuck it between my legs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The only explanation is Mookie is reading this thread and designing this comic just to piss us off

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only explanation is Mookie is reading this thread and designing this comic just to piss us off

I had that conspiracy theory during the last run of the comic. Sometimes comics would come out specifically refuting points raised here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Did the Ink Witch lie to him or is this just something we're supposed to infer from all of this masterful storytelling.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Snout's routine is whatever Mookie imagines his character in No Man's Sky might do. Unfortunately he forgets to actually translate that into representation on the page. His characters can read his mind, but the audience can't.

You loving called it.

Also, notice how Snout literally puts slobbering over Dominic’s knob ahead of himself?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hostile V posted:

Did the Ink Witch lie to him or is this just something we're supposed to infer from all of this masterful storytelling.

She pretended to just be a spell on a piece of paper when it was really her communicating through the paper. Which was a pointless lie because Snout would have helped her either way and she had no reason to hide her identity, and, for some (no) reason, Snout never pressed her for why she chose to do that, instead just kept going along with what she wanted him to do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It should be extremely obvious by now that "no dialogue" actually just means "no speech/thought bubbles." There should be no reason why we the audience shouldn't be able to see his thoughts, but nope, gotta write it all down or not show it at all because "no dialogue".

So, yknow, look forward to characters having lengthy conversations by flashing notepads at each other while Mookie pats himself on the back for being a brilliant writer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DICKS ON THE DIRT DICKS ON THE DIRT HELL YEAH

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving Christ

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ha ha. Oh man what an inept page. While their is a lot wrong here. I’ll mention my annoyance at the Snout categorizing himself as a “deaf herbivore who can survive here.” Accurate, but it doesn’t read like how you write to describe yourself.

And the elephant dong in the room.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
love going to sleep with gravel snuggling into my bare balls

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rotten Red Rod posted:

She pretended to just be a spell on a piece of paper when it was really her communicating through the paper. Which was a pointless lie because Snout would have helped her either way and she had no reason to hide her identity, and, for some (no) reason, Snout never pressed her for why she chose to do that, instead just kept going along with what she wanted him to do.

While it is likely, it was never confirmed to Snout or the reader that the page-finder is just the Ink Witch.

But it's true. He Just Knew

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

At keast he finally acknowledged his house got blown up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Reasons I should stay here:

1. I'm good at survival, so clearly leaving here will harm me
2. I'm homeless due to a violent act here, so clearly leaving here is less safe
3. A dude has already stolen from me here, so DEFINITELY here is more safe than elsewhere

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hostile V posted:

Technically, she claimed to be the Pagefinder spell rather than just telling him she was talking to him through it. It is unclear why, or why this mattered.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
In fairness the reveal was mostly ignored beyond Snout writing a quick note and not asking further questions, was sandwiched between other infodumps, and was not brought up again until now, so I can see how it can be missed.

Christ, though. The pre-break ending of Snout quietly retreating to his cave and just sitting down had the foundation of something poignant. With a few more panels focused on his anxiety over this, like guarded body language or him sitting awake all throughout the night, it would have gotten the point across perfectly. Even the rock-throwing, silly as it is, could have been tweaked slightly to show that he's just procrastinating with distractions to put off having to make a choice.

The lists are very verbose and overexplain each detail, half of which the audience can infer if they haven't forgotten the basic plot beats thus far. Yeah, it's pretty obvious that sticking his snout in this Deegan business has endangered him time and time again! Because unlike the Ink Witch reveal, the consequences have actually been shown; that's why Snout's sleeping in a cave in the first place. He also can't go one monologue without going "where's Dominic Deegan?", so it was safe to assume that's a major part of his motivations too. Pretty much the only new info this brought to the table was revealing Snout is a vegetarian/vegan. (Herbivore? I know nothing of DD species so I don't know if Snout's species are literally herbivores by nature. It just feels weird hearing a sapient person call themself that, but I'll admit that's just a personal thing.)

I could buy that writing so much is Snout further procrastinating, but the writing itself feels so stilted that it feels like exposition instead.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My guess is that Mookie hasn't figured out what's going to happen next so he's stalling for time to think of something, and a page that's mostly words means he can bang it out in like half the time.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I can't believe he just so plainly laid out how hosed up Snout's priorities are. Like, there isn't one interesting thing in the reasons to go list. Just really putting a hat on a hat here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheHan posted:

I can't believe he just so plainly laid out how hosed up Snout's priorities are. Like, there isn't one interesting thing in the reasons to go list. Just really putting a hat on a hat here.

I’m more impressed that half his reasons to stay are reasons to leave.