Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah you got it champ, it’s actually good to swear yourself to a corporation and act like you’re a film buff for it, you just gotta make sure you pick the right one.

Lol, yes that's exactly what I'm saying. My statement of "A24 makes good films and has good business practices (afaik)" is perfectly equivalent to "I warp my entire personality around consumption and identifying with corporations to make myself feel superior to people online." Instead of engaging with my statement on its merits or disagreeing, you're warping what I said to fit a twisted as hominem attack. You've cracked the code man, you're a freaking genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Avatar land opened in Epcot and it far, far outdid Galaxy's Edge in popularity so yeah apparently so.

Did they also require you to pre-register and limit your time, and prevent the employees from visiting like they did with Galaxy's Edge?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:argh:Marvel Disney is ruining cinema! Bland overproduced pablum!!

:v: I like what A24 does it's usually quirky or off the beaten path.

:argh: Corporate stooge!

Iron Crowned posted:

Did they also require you to pre-register and limit your time, and prevent the employees from visiting like they did with Galaxy's Edge?
No but iirc the rented Avatar suits started getting funky after a day or tw

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A24 is an exploitation house like Golan/Globus and it fuckin’ owns.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Have some Avatar 2 concept art:

http://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1214419048974315520

Looks like Avatar 2 alright :shrug:

Wish I liked the production design of these things because I'm sure there's going to be some rad stuff in the sequels. As it stands they just look like bad Yes album covers. I wish they looked like rad Yes album covers.
Waiting for the part that's going to blow my rear end clean off, or whatever that James Cameron quote was about Avatar 2. Looks fine I guess??

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Looking forward to the ice, desert and volcano biomes in avatar 2, an upcoming platformer game

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

No but iirc the rented Avatar suits started getting funky after a day or tw

I have no idea what this means

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
He should've done another movie that features the Avatar system but just a completely different situation on a totally new planet. No matter how many "new areas" of Pandora we see I have a feeling it's still just gonna feel like a rehash of the original.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Your post is very telling to the fact that the setting is 90% of the appeal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Your post is very telling to the fact that the setting is 90% of the appeal.

I didn't even think of that as something that had to be said. The main appeal was absolutely the fact that the 3D made me feel like I was exploring that world myself but I've done it. I don't need to revisit that world, I'd much prefer to go to a completely different one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

Avatar land opened in Epcot and it far, far outdid Galaxy's Edge in popularity so yeah apparently so.

Avatar land is in Animal Kingdom, not Epcot, and the reason it's so popular is that the main ride is very immersive and pretty, so again, it's all visual spectacle. Food's not bad for theme park food, and iirc one Goon's wife designed the desserts for that area. They're pretty tasty.

Also, Galaxy's Edge went over like a wet fart because it was only half completed and people wanted to wait until the e-ticket ride was open to go. That ride can be completely booked for the entire day within half an hour of the park opening. And it's loving amazing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Where in that concept art is General Hardass? I don't see General Hardass anywhere, he was supposed to be there :argh:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

feedmyleg posted:

Have some Avatar 2 concept art:

http://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1214419048974315520

Looks like Avatar 2 alright :shrug:

Wish I liked the production design of these things because I'm sure there's going to be some rad stuff in the sequels. As it stands they just look like bad Yes album covers. I wish they looked like rad Yes album covers.

i was talking to someone from weta a few weeks ago who said people have been working full-time on the avatar sequels since the first one came out (more than a decade ago!!!), and it kind of blew my mind .

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Galaxy's Edge will forever be a prequel to Rise of the Skywalker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

exmarx posted:

i was talking to someone from weta a few weeks ago who said people have been working full-time on the avatar sequels since the first one came out (more than a decade ago!!!), and it kind of blew my mind .

I'm looking forward to this post being evergreen for the next 20 years.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

:argh:Marvel Disney is ruining cinema! Bland overproduced pablum!!

:v: I like what A24 does it's usually quirky or off the beaten path.

:argh: Corporate stooge!

That’s not what I was saying and you know it. The people I’m referring to aren’t even on this forum. There’s absolutely a contingent of fans who hold A24 in the same reverence as Disney fans but think they’re better than the latter for doing so, as if A24 isn’t also a corporation that occasionally releases bad movies or will absolutely pull scummy moves when they view it beneficial, such as Midsommar’s home release or everything they’ve done to Under the Silver Lake.

My take can be summed up as “Don’t forget A24 is also a corporation,” which is not the same thing as “A24 is bad and nobody should like them.”

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 7, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

At some point all movies that aren't 100% self-funded have a corporation involved so I'm not sure what your point is. I don't know anything about A24's business practices, and it's fine to criticize them if they're bad, but they aren't exactly a towering, anti-competitive monolith that have an active hand in deciding what the future of large-scale filmmaking looks like.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

As far as corporations go, a24 is one of the better ones in my books. I'm glad there's someone out there focused on making little artsy niche films shot in black and white in a weird ratio with a strong creative direction. I'm glad they found a way to make money doing that.

Anyway, I'm betting Avatar 2 is going to make a ton of money somehow. I don't know why everyone will see it, I don't know why it's being made, I don't think anyone will remember is a month after it comes out, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a staggering success again. James Cameron is spectacular at printing money.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

At some point all movies that aren't 100% self-funded have a corporation involved so I'm not sure what your point is. I don't know anything about A24's business practices, and it's fine to criticize them if they're bad, but they aren't exactly a towering, anti-competitive monolith that have an active hand in deciding what the future of large-scale filmmaking looks like.

It wasn’t even supposed to be a hot take, I mentioned it as trying to understand what Hundu was saying and then clown guy accused me of saying that liking A24 at all is verboten. That’s literally all I was saying.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

piratepilates posted:

Anyway, I'm betting Avatar 2 is going to make a ton of money somehow. I don't know why everyone will see it, I don't know why it's being made, I don't think anyone will remember is a month after it comes out, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a staggering success again. James Cameron is spectacular at printing money.

My prediction is that it'll have a decent opening weekend, maybe second weekend, then get blown out of the water by the new Star Wars/MCU/Live action Tailspin. In the end, make some money internationally to prevent it from being a complete flop.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pirate Jet posted:

It wasn’t even supposed to be a hot take, I mentioned it as trying to understand what Hundu was saying and then clown guy had to jump down my throat about it. That’s literally all I was saying.

I mean you implied that anyone who disagreed with you was a fake film fan so.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Waiting for the part that's going to blow my rear end clean off, or whatever that James Cameron quote was about Avatar 2. Looks fine I guess??

I feel that Avatar 2 is going to go down the route of other long awaited autuer projects (Chinese Democracy, The Last Dangerous Visions, etc.): the longer the wait, the greater the pressure on the creators to make something to justify that wait, the more impossible the task ... and the projects never complete or get a long overdue release to only mild interest.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pirate Jet posted:

as if A24 isn’t also a corporation that occasionally releases bad movies or will absolutely pull scummy moves when they view it beneficial, such as Midsommar’s home release or everything they’ve done to Under the Silver Lake.

If anything Under the Silver Lake needed more edits, that movie is self indulgent bloated garbage and I say that as someone who adores It Follows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

My prediction is that it'll have a decent opening weekend, maybe second weekend, then get blown out of the water by the new Star Wars/MCU/Live action Tailspin. In the end, make some money internationally to prevent it from being a complete flop.

I think the international money is going to make in impossible for Avatar 2 not to be a financial success, it's just a question of whether it's a modest success of a huge success. With the amount of time spent on this(an entire decade!), I don't think just doubling the budget is going to be considered good enough. They probably need a 2 billion+ behemoth along the lines of The Force Awakens or Endgame to feel like all this time and effort was worth it. Because Cameron easily could've pumped out three films in the time it took to make Avatar 2 and made huge money with all of them, so it's just as much about time spent as it is dollars.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Basebf555 posted:

I think the international money is going to make in impossible for Avatar 2 not to be a financial success, it's just a question of whether it's a modest success of a huge success. With the amount of time spent on this(an entire decade!), I don't think just doubling the budget is going to be considered good enough. They probably need a 2 billion+ behemoth along the lines of The Force Awakens or Endgame to feel like all this time and effort was worth it. Because Cameron easily could've pumped out three films in the time it took to make Avatar 2 and made huge money with all of them, so it's just as much about time spent as it is dollars.

But what about Avatar 3, 4, and 5?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
For Avatar 3 we journey to a space colony where one of the Na'a'vi gets a human Avatar suit!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Avatar made a shitload extra money from the 3D ticket prices iirc.

Should still totally make Avatar vs Predator. Also, reminds me... been said that the first two Predator movies are basically the Predator intruding on what would have been a pretty standard 80s action movie (complete with exactly the appropriate cast) and then an action-packed buddy cop movie that suddenly find themselves having to deal with a superpowered alien. And I think like with the good Terminator movies being basically movies about horror movie monsters, the series loses its way when they lose sight of that. It's interesting to mess with genre conventions and audience expectations, especially when you're basically playing out horror movie cliches but with a cast entirely of burly heavily armed men.

I'm not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 7, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

For Avatar 3 we journey to a space colony where one of the Na'a'vi gets a human Avatar suit!

Nah, that one's gonna be a The Creature Walks Among Us riff with them coming to Earth and wearing shirts.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Avatar in 3D was legit one of the coolest things I've seen in my life, it was a hell of a tech demo. Don't remember anything else about it though!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Gatts posted:

Christian Bale is going to be All Black the Necrosword and we get Natalie as Jane Foster Thor.

And Christian Bale is a method actor.

Metal as gently caress name, and still metal as gently caress arc.everyother page is like perfect van art

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Beachcomber posted:

Also, Galaxy's Edge went over like a wet fart because it was only half completed and people wanted to wait until the e-ticket ride was open to go. That ride can be completely booked for the entire day within half an hour of the park opening. And it's loving amazing.

I’m in Disney World this week and did the other Resistance ride at Galaxy’s Edge and it’s incredible. If they had just waited and opened the land when everything was done you’d be seeing universal acclaim. This place is seriously incredible to just walk around in.

I don’t give a poo poo shout Avatar one way or another but the Pandora thing at Animal is also well done and was obviously a proof of concept for Galaxy’s Edge.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, reminds me... been said that the first two Predator movies are basically the Predator intruding on what would have been a pretty standard 80s action movie (complete with exactly the appropriate cast) and then an action-packed buddy cop movie that suddenly find themselves having to deal with a superpowered alien.

I'm not sure what the modern equivalent would be.
Until Dawn, the excellent horror game for this gen.

Which basically is a "College kids at a remote winter cabin get picked off by a mysterious assailant" that swerves and SPOILERS the "killer" is one of their own group, exacting revenge for the death of his sister years earlier. But shortly after this you find out that there's a real, flesh-eating Wendigo to contend with and it goes from Jason/Meyers killstalker with some Saw traps to a full-on supernatural horror game.

Feldegast42 posted:

Avatar in 3D was legit one of the coolest things I've seen in my life, it was a hell of a tech demo. Don't remember anything else about it though!
I don't really remember it being that amazing and I'm probably just numbed by all the 3D conversions.

Also:
James Cameron: I spent millions of dollars and man hours to research and perfect a true 3D camera so that directors can truely harness the power of depth in films to achieve their vision and draw audiences into these worlds.

:downs: we just have a computer do it and it's easier

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m in Disney World this week and did the other Resistance ride at Galaxy’s Edge and it’s incredible. If they had just waited and opened the land when everything was done you’d be seeing universal acclaim. This place is seriously incredible to just walk around in.

I don’t give a poo poo shout Avatar one way or another but the Pandora thing at Animal is also well done and was obviously a proof of concept for Galaxy’s Edge.

I went on RotR yesterday and I can confirm that it’s dope as gently caress. It punches back at the trend of rides as vehicles that transport you from one screen to another with some truly spectacular environments and the physicality of everything really sells it. I haven’t seen Episode IX yet but I’d be willing to be money there isn’t a moment as thrilling as staring a life-size AT-AT in the face as it prepares to blast your face off. There are still some screen moments but they aren’t the whole show and serve to enhance the whole experience. Pandora is cool and all but I like the lame boat ride more than the Flight of Passage because even in world you’re just doing a virtual experience (which is what the whole avatar project is in the movies), but the boat ride has these beautiful crafted flora and fauna and one incredibly lifelike Animatronic. The world is really well built though. Those floating rocks are cool as hell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

Also:
James Cameron: I spent millions of dollars and man hours to research and perfect a true 3D camera so that directors can truely harness the power of depth in films to achieve their vision and draw audiences into these worlds.

Also I think James Cameron is the only one who still does 3D, the world has moved away from it once again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Avatar is gonna do really well, people still love it. Mercedes Benz just released a concept car based on the movie yesterday.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Iron Crowned posted:

Also I think James Cameron is the only one who still does 3D, the world has moved away from it once again.

Which is fine because there really hasn’t been anyone that did it as well as he did. The story was trite but Avatar is still a spectacle because it used 3D to make the movie have a depth of field instead of just some action pieces pop out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DC Murderverse posted:

I went on RotR yesterday and I can confirm that it’s dope as gently caress. It punches back at the trend of rides as vehicles that transport you from one screen to another with some truly spectacular environments and the physicality of everything really sells it. I haven’t seen Episode IX yet but I’d be willing to be money there isn’t a moment as thrilling as staring a life-size AT-AT in the face as it prepares to blast your face off. There are still some screen moments but they aren’t the whole show and serve to enhance the whole experience. Pandora is cool and all but I like the lame boat ride more than the Flight of Passage because even in world you’re just doing a virtual experience (which is what the whole avatar project is in the movies), but the boat ride has these beautiful crafted flora and fauna and one incredibly lifelike Animatronic. The world is really well built though. Those floating rocks are cool as hell.

Rise of the Resistance is probably the best ride in the whole resort because it’s not strictly a ride, it feels like an actual experience because it’s more than just one or two sequences.

When the doors open right after the intro briefing and you’re quickly shuffled into the dropship it actually felt tense and hurried and helped sell the poo poo out of the ride’s “story”.

A lot of that is also just cast members really committing to the role and staying “in-character”.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Avatar will probably make over a billion dollars just from China alone. The first one made something like 200 million dollars in China, and that was back when China wasn't even the giant movie market it is today.
Add to the China-billion a few hundred million from North America, a few hundred mil from around the world and it'll be close to two billion no problem. It doesn't matter that "no one cares about Avatar or hasn't spoken about it in a decade" since now they have Disney's marketing machine behind it and it's not like people actively hated the first movie so they wouldn't want to go back to the visuals again.
They will make people care about it again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Since all the characters are CGI I wonder if Cameron plans on changing the mouth animations for the international dubs like Pixar does.

And I wonder how long it'll take for movie studios to do some deepfake nonsense with live action movies and ruin the performances for the sake of getting a wider audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FilthyImp posted:

Until Dawn, the excellent horror game for this gen.

Which basically is a "College kids at a remote winter cabin get picked off by a mysterious assailant" that swerves and SPOILERS the "killer" is one of their own group, exacting revenge for the death of his sister years earlier. But shortly after this you find out that there's a real, flesh-eating Wendigo to contend with and it goes from Jason/Meyers killstalker with some Saw traps to a full-on supernatural horror game.

I don't really remember it being that amazing and I'm probably just numbed by all the 3D conversions.

Also:

Yeah, computer 3D conversion sucks balls though compared to shooting in 3D (at least currently -- there has probably been some improvements in the tech since 3D fell out of fashion though). Also Cameron is a good filmmaker and was able to use the tech as far as he could currently take it, while other studios trying to get on the sweet 3D cash train were basically post processing film not intended to use the format which makes it look even more lovely.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 7, 2020