Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is genki the word for poop?

Also I like the cut of this Hakuho guy. Seems like he'd fit into PSP real well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Thauros posted:

would recommend adding tachiai.org to the op as i've found it incredibly useful in learning more about both the tactics and poltics unique to the sport.

I don't know how the hell I managed to leave tachiai.org off the OP. It is in there now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

don't remember a sumo thread before but i welcome it as friends got me into it a year and a half ago once i found out how to watch it daily in 20 or less minutes. would recommend adding tachiai.org to the op as i've found it incredibly useful in learning more about both the tactics and poltics unique to the sport.

my main thought on the banzuke for this month is that terutsuyoshi got robbed. feel bad for abi as well as it's not his fault the ozeki have disintegrated but i'm not gonna blame the nsk for that one.

The old thread's OP is from like 2012 and it was in SAS.

I was hoping Abi would get in as 3rd Sekiwake which would possibly slide Daiesho up to S2W to balance out the Banzuke, but even if that makes some sense they're probably extra discouraged to do that immediately after a 4 Komusubi Banzuke.

I actually hadn't realized the Terutsuyoshi situation, you seem to be right, though maybe a slower rise up the ranks would be good for his health, don't wanna break the little guy just yet.

Rigel posted:

I don't know how the hell I managed to leave tachiai.org off the OP. It is in there now.

Whoops I also should have mentioned that, great Jungyo coverage.

I haven't slept in a while (so that someone isn't me) but someone should probably type up a thing about what the gently caress is Jungyo, or there's probably a tachiai article on it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Thauros posted:

don't remember a sumo thread before but i welcome it as friends got me into it a year and a half ago once i found out how to watch it daily in 20 or less minutes. would recommend adding tachiai.org to the op as i've found it incredibly useful in learning more about both the tactics and poltics unique to the sport.

my main thought on the banzuke for this month is that terutsuyoshi got robbed. feel bad for abi as well as it's not his fault the ozeki have disintegrated but i'm not gonna blame the nsk for that one.

I'd like to formally request someone make a new OP for the general thread in RR or we at least move the old one over here. Honestly though the old OP is pretty old, and maybe we could get a handful of new posters in here with an updated OP.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

coconono posted:

is genki the word for poop?

Also I like the cut of this Hakuho guy. Seems like he'd fit into PSP real well.

hakuho would hate the mods and be constantly getting sixers but too popular to ban

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

I'd like to formally request someone make a new OP for the general thread in RR or we at least move the old one over here. Honestly though the old OP is pretty old, and maybe we could get a handful of new posters in here with an updated OP.

This thread is it. Not a single person has posted in the old general thread since this one was created/linked and it's not like the Basho's started already, it had 166 pages but was from january 2012.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kakuryu would be great in SAS he's a big sports fan.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

This thread is it. Not a single person has posted in the old general thread since this one was created/linked and it's not like the Basho's started already, it had 166 pages but was from january 2012.

I'm with that. Just change the title from January Basho after the event and all's good.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I was kinda planning on creating a new thread for each basho, like how the other threads in this subforum are re-created every month/season. (Probably creating the new thread when the next banzuke is released) A lot of the OP is probably evergreen and can be reposted, but several parts of it is specific to the January basho.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 8, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's probably not enough sustained activity to warrant that IMO. Old thread was mostly active when the banzuke comes out and immediately before/after the basho. And also when a rikishi does something stupid, of course.

Also I kind of used the old thread as a reminder that the banzuke came out and to get ready for the next basho. If there's a new one I will likely just forget tournaments are about to start altogether. I don't know if I'm alone in that but I just don't pay enough mind to Sumo when it's not on to remember that dates are coming up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think a year round thread would be better than a new thread each tournament. Like what we do for the B League MMA thread.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i read the forums mostly from the user control panel, and the thread coming back to life reminds me that a basho is coming up. a permanent sumo thread would work better for my use case.

although if each thread links to the next one before it closes, re-bookmarking isn't such an imposition

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I vote we just bully Jerusalem in to changing the thread title once in a while.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gotta say, I'm super enjoying all the new posters and activity in the new thread. New thread every basho could work, new thread annually could also work, I'm amenable.

I don't know if it's in the OP, but I super like the Grand Sumo Breakdown podcast. They do an episode just before the start of each basho, a shorter episode during the middle weekend, and a wrap-up show after it's over. They also do banzuke prediction and review episodes, and the occasional bonus episode where the profile a wrestler or some incident in sumo history. It's pretty fun stuff, and I always look forward to it.

Fun fact: I got the idea of fantasy sumo (and some of the point system) from GSB, although I expanded it a lot of make it work with a bigger league.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

I don't know if it's in the OP, but I super like the Grand Sumo Breakdown podcast. They do an episode just before the start of each basho, a shorter episode during the middle weekend, and a wrap-up show after it's over. They also do banzuke prediction and review episodes, and the occasional bonus episode where the profile a wrestler or some incident in sumo history. It's pretty fun stuff, and I always look forward to it.

thanks for this, looks good and accessible

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The idea of a champion rolling up to potential opponents’ practices just to Wreck Their poo poo is some serious BDE.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
PYF Hakuho

https://youtu.be/WrZW8LzPLks

The grumpy men get their fundoshi in knots about Hakuho, but drat he can be entertaining.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

coconono posted:

The idea of a champion rolling up to potential opponents’ practices just to Wreck Their poo poo is some serious BDE.

Hakuho has the most BDE of basically any athlete I can think of.

PYF Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WWreGfXTU&t=178s

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

coconono posted:

Former Yokozuna Asashoryu apparently was banned from some heyas because he went hard in training and you don't want your wrestlers being destroyed in training.

A lot of heyas are fairly small or only have one high ranked wrestler who needs to get decent practice. Before Izutsu-oyakata died, his heya was Kakuryu and 2 nobodies, so Kakuryu had to visit as necessity.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Elissimpark posted:

Former Yokozuna Asashoryu apparently was banned from some heyas because he went hard in training and you don't want your wrestlers being destroyed in training.

What a fascinating idea.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks to Ganryu coming out for Tekken 7 last month I've recently fallen down youtube holes of various sumo clips, so seeing this thread pop up was really welcome to help put stuff in context. It's cool to see a lot of Ganryu's weirder throws are actually just more anime versions of real sumo stuff.

I discovered that a ramen restaurant like 5 block from me here in Minneapolis does fantasy sumo and has happy hours specifically for sumo tournaments, so I think I'll give it a shot.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

PYF Hakuho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d8ZGmaakt8

(It's actually the weird standing outside the ring one but someone already posted it)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i've already posted my favourite hakuho thing (doing transgressive clapping) but my second favourite hakuho thing that i've seen was a match where his opponent tried to do the side step manoeuvre at the tachi-ai (i understand this move is considered relatively bitch-made unless you desperately need a win for ranking reasons). hakuho really loving hated this and got an underhook with one arm and then just started open palm smashing his opponents face before just throwing him out of the dohyo like the most pissed off bouncer in the world. it was really loving scary. i'm sure someone will have the clip i'm talking about but i wouldn't know where to begin looking for it.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

PYF Hakuho, back when Aminishiki still had hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TXO9cqH_c

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

What a fascinating idea.

You might be surprised to learn that there are grumpy old men who think that this was a good quality - can't remember which oyakata praised his "spirit".

More PYF Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYuc2EDtTQ&t=707s

Even unbalanced and being pushed backwards, Hakuho can find someway to ruin your day.

The kimarite there (yaguranage) is pretty rare - only 6 pulled off in the past 25 odd years. Looking at the history of it though, it got a good outing during the 50's and 60's. Probably because everyone was a bit smaller back then.

Historic shout out to Arashiyama who pulled off two in the same tournament (May 1970) on consecutive days, one on an opponent 40kg heavier.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

coconono posted:

Plus, he gets scouting information, which is huge for someone as smart as he is. By the time he is done with practice, I bet he knows any weaknesses you have and has already come up with a plan to beat you when it counts.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I checked out a Youtube Vid of Hakuho's performance at the November Basho. My big takeaway was 'wow I bet the way he starts matches rankles some feathers'
Dude somehow figured out how to go the nanosecond a molecule of his fist touches dirt.

And it makes me make dumb prop bets in my head like 'Could Hakuho beat Hattorizakura without moving'. I think 100% yes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Imagine if this happened in MMA lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

You might be surprised to learn that there are grumpy old men who think that this was a good quality - can't remember which oyakata praised his "spirit".

More PYF Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYuc2EDtTQ&t=707s

Even unbalanced and being pushed backwards, Hakuho can find someway to ruin your day.

The kimarite there (yaguranage) is pretty rare - only 6 pulled off in the past 25 odd years. Looking at the history of it though, it got a good outing during the 50's and 60's. Probably because everyone was a bit smaller back then.

Historic shout out to Arashiyama who pulled off two in the same tournament (May 1970) on consecutive days, one on an opponent 40kg heavier.

yooooo i'm betting every active rikishi saw that and just started wondering how the gently caress you beat this guy. that looks to be in just about the worst possible position in sumo except possibly having your back taken, grips and everything, and hakuho was just like 'nah' and wins.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Martytoof posted:

There's probably not enough sustained activity to warrant that IMO. Old thread was mostly active when the banzuke comes out and immediately before/after the basho. And also when a rikishi does something stupid, of course.

Also I kind of used the old thread as a reminder that the banzuke came out and to get ready for the next basho. If there's a new one I will likely just forget tournaments are about to start altogether. I don't know if I'm alone in that but I just don't pay enough mind to Sumo when it's not on to remember that dates are coming up.

OK, yeah we can do this too. We'll need a mod or something to edit out the "January Basho" in the title, and I can keep updating the OP.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sivad posted:

PYF Hakuho, back when Aminishiki still had hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TXO9cqH_c

i'm on a couch 12 years in the future and still felt threatened by that look on his face

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

OK, yeah we can do this too. We'll need a mod or something to edit out the "January Basho" in the title, and I can keep updating the OP.

Personally, I think it would be good to have a 'general' thread and a separate thread for Bashos. Kind of makes the event feel significant. But that said, I'm not the one putting tons of effort into OPs so w/e

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

PYF Hakuho

(It's actually the weird standing outside the ring one but someone already posted it)

sorry for the barrage of posting but what in the gently caress is with the throwing of the purple squares?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

sorry for the barrage of posting but what in the gently caress is with the throwing of the purple squares?

Fans like to throw their cushions when they see a kinboshi (gold star victory). Some venues have reacted to this practice by literally nailing the cushions down onto the floor, but some other venues still have throwable cushions.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Rigel posted:

Fans like to throw their cushions when they see a kinboshi (gold star victory). Some venues have reacted to this practice by literally nailing the cushions down onto the floor, but some other venues still have throwable cushions.

that's rad. of course the old dudes would hate it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

yooooo i'm betting every active rikishi saw that and just started wondering how the gently caress you beat this guy. that looks to be in just about the worst possible position in sumo except possibly having your back taken, grips and everything, and hakuho was just like 'nah' and wins.

His ring sense is amazing; he always seems to know exactly where the tawara (the raised rope circle thing) is. I recall a similar win where he was pushed across the ring and danced out of the way at the very last second along the tawara. He must have velcro toes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

His ring sense is amazing; he always seems to know exactly where the tawara (the raised rope circle thing) is. I recall a similar win where he was pushed across the ring and danced out of the way at the very last second along the tawara. He must have velcro toes.

Yeah it's similarly amazing to someone like Floyd Mayweather who was always exactly where he wanted to be in the ring - if he's on the ropes it's probably because it's convenient for him to be there. Except Hakuho is 2 and a bit Mayweather's large and the ring is a phone booth.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's also a circle with two extra bits at the ends and the boundary is at foot level. Peripheral vision isn't going to help you too much to know how close you are to stepping out.

For me Hakuho's big advantage is his supreme balance, he's fully internalised how to best distribute his weight at all times.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Brut posted:

PYF Hakuho

oh my god, I've only watched a handful of his non-yokozuna days, this is beautiful. Everything about it. Listen to that slap as he chops Asashoryu's tricep and completely throws him off balance. Watch it frame by frame for a second- he's completely flatfooted, facing in the wrong direction with his heels on the edge of the dohyo and he literally single-handedly fucks Asashoryu up. What a save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

It's also a circle with two extra bits at the ends and the boundary is at foot level. Peripheral vision isn't going to help you too much to know how close you are to stepping out.

For me Hakuho's big advantage is his supreme balance, he's fully internalised how to best distribute his weight at all times.

I remember the first bout of sumo I ever watched was Hakuho vs. Harumafuji and it looked like Hakuho's feet were implanted into the earth. He's truly uncanny, especially if you watch his bouts from a few years ago, once he was fully mature and seasoned but before his injuries started to really pile up.