Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

Christ on a spike, I absolutely loathe it. I guess this is part of the new canon, then? This is that horrible Dungeons & Dragons logic making its way into Star Wars again--where Good and Evil are literally types of particle. So you have absurd situations where you can make an inanimate object full of Goodness, and then an Evil person can use a Good battleaxe to murder a Good person.

It's not just a theoretical problem, because it leads to moronic fancanon like Grey Jedi, and interpreting "Palpatine clouded the Jedi's vision" to mean that he literally cast a magic spell that blocks their Detect Evil spells. Magic artifacts are the worst inclusion in the canon--the biggest mistake in the Clone Wars series, and possibly dumber than anything in Episode IX.

I blame Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

YaketySass posted:

As the complaints about the prequels expanded a particular kind of liberal commentary developped on the franchise, trying to pin what was wrong with that particular setting.
ADAM CURTIS: But then, something strange happened...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Did stoner culture grow out from hippie poo poo or what is it?
Im only partially familiar with it, but what little i’ve seen is pretty bad

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People keep harping on about the plot, but the actual narrative problems with TLJ begin when FN says “where’s Ray?!”, and the film immediately cuts to a woman in Ireland trying to deliver a metal cylinder.

You have some notion of what a laser sword is because of cultural osmosis, but TLJ does not establish what the shiny tube stands for in the context of its narrative. It doesn’t even establish what the tube is in plot terms, although the porgs staring down the end reads like it’s meant to be a gun safety joke. Is it a gun?

So this blank object is there for you to project all your feelings onto it.

As with the metal cylinder, the movie called The Last Jedi never actually shows what a Jedi is. Rey is searching for the Jedi Order, according to the dialogue, and you fill in the blanks with your preconceptions.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ruddiger posted:

Pg 420 smoke Star Wars all day.

are these technically canon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not until Disney sells them. Check your local regulations to be sure that the Sio Bubbler is canon in your state.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People keep harping on about the plot, but the actual narrative problems with TLJ begin when FN says “where’s Ray?!”, and the film immediately cuts to a woman in Ireland trying to deliver a metal cylinder.

You have some notion of what a laser sword is because of cultural osmosis, but TLJ does not establish what the shiny tube stands for in the context of its narrative. It doesn’t even establish what the tube is in plot terms, although the porgs staring down the end reads like it’s meant to be a gun safety joke. Is it a gun?

So this blank object is there for you to project all your feelings onto it.

As with the metal cylinder, the movie called The Last Jedi never actually shows what a Jedi is. Rey is searching for the Jedi Order, according to the dialogue, and you fill in the blanks with your preconceptions.

Every star war should start with the narrator from Lost saying "previously on Star Wars" before explaining the plot to you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinteres posted:

Every star war should start with the narrator from Lost saying "previously on Star Wars" before explaining the plot to you.

The issue is precisely that TLJ is presented as an episode of a television series. A recap isn’t particularly necessary to understand any of Lucas’ films.

As a contrast, see A New Hope. Luke is handed a weird metal tube, and he immediately activates it. A blade extends from the tube, and Luke swings it around like a sword. This immediately conveys that the object is some kind of swordlike thing.

Although A New Hope is nominally the fourth episode of Star Wars, its particular narrative is entirely self-contained.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When Vader boards the Tantive IV and says "There'll be no one to stop up THIS time!!!"

Uh, who stopped you last time dude?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Presumably the Senate before they were dissolved.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Killing Palpatine was good but as leader of the Senate he appointed like 14000 circuit judges in his last month, those are lifetime appointments

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of my ideas for alternate villains would have been old Jedi, probably frozen in cryostasis somewhere, returning and finding out that the Republic betrayed them and killed them all. So they decide that clearly the Galaxy cannot rule itself and needs enlightened Jedi rule and decide to take over. They manage to convince a bunch of Luke's students and so you have conflict within the new Jedi order as well.

I might run that as a Tabletop Campaign one of thse days. My own Episodes VII-IX.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

feedmyleg posted:

Most people who hated George Lucas for the prequels are probably doing a bit of a re-evaluation on their opinion of him at this point.

im rewatching the prequels now. finished menace last night. its not as bad as i remember but its absolutely colored by the ST. for all the prequels faults (and there are a loving ton) they at least feel like star wars. the sequels feel like marvel films.

ewan mcgregor and liam neeson are both really good in menace. the kid who plays anakin is so, so bad. natalie portman is just kinda there. i hate to say it but jar jars looney toones action has grown on me. hes so loving weird and goofy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Angry Salami posted:

I just found out they killed Nien Numb off-screen! gently caress THESE MOVIES!

Seriously? The guy that had been rebelling for 45 years solid, no recognition, and they even kill him off screen. LOL

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wait, nien numb was piloting the tantive at the final battle and got blown up? Was any of that shown at all lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of my ideas for alternate villains would have been old Jedi, probably frozen in cryostasis somewhere, returning and finding out that the Republic betrayed them and killed them all. So they decide that clearly the Galaxy cannot rule itself and needs enlightened Jedi rule and decide to take over. They manage to convince a bunch of Luke's students and so you have conflict within the new Jedi order as well.

I might run that as a Tabletop Campaign one of thse days. My own Episodes VII-IX.

Wasn't there an EU novel where Luke went to some Jedi temple and found an old Jedi Master there who'd been hanging out there for the entire rise and fall of the Empire and had gone crazy from the solitude?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Wasn't there an EU novel where Luke went to some Jedi temple and found an old Jedi Master there who'd been hanging out there for the entire rise and fall of the Empire and had gone crazy from the solitude?

Probably.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ammanas posted:

the kid who plays anakin is so, so bad.

Reminder that this kid auditioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSnB7yGylc

(2:58 if the time doesn't embed)

The other finalist was pretty solid, too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ammanas posted:

im rewatching the prequels now. finished menace last night. its not as bad as i remember but its absolutely colored by the ST. for all the prequels faults (and there are a loving ton) they at least feel like star wars. the sequels feel like marvel films.

ewan mcgregor and liam neeson are both really good in menace. the kid who plays anakin is so, so bad. natalie portman is just kinda there. i hate to say it but jar jars looney toones action has grown on me. hes so loving weird and goofy

Phantom Menace also looks pretty good due to being shot on film as opposed to "before we figure out how to do this correctly digital" Attack of the Clones. Some of the CG still has CG "aging" but still looks relatively ok and there are some gorgeous shots in it. And the score is every bit as good as the OT scores and is one of Williams' best.

I tried to give AOTC a chance, but it's just so drat ugly. Everything is lit so flatly (again, didn't figure out digital yet) and everything looks like it's going on on a flat plane; the greenscreen work is just so not good there (again, just figuring out how to do fully greenscreened environments back then). ROTS at least is helped by 3 years worth of improvements in both.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc didn’t the spoilers actually have Palps directly possessing people back and forth

At least that didn’t happen

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When Vader boards the Tantive IV and says "There'll be no one to stop up THIS time!!!"

Uh, who stopped you last time dude?

C3PO sez “there’ll be no escape for the princess this time,” earlier in the scene.

Leia’s been using bureaucratic loopholes like her diplomatic immunity to gently caress with the Emperor for years. (Leia and Vader even act as though they’ve personally met eachother before). But now Vader knows that the Senate is gone, and Leia must answer directly to regional governor Tarkin.

Leia’s ignorance of the fact that the Senate isn’t there to back her up is why the Rebels are losing at the start of ESB. The Rebels may have destroyed the Death Star, but Palpatine has already eliminated the main source of their funding.

(Politics don’t belong in Star Wars btw. A New Hope is NON-CANON.)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i just watched aotc last night and it was really cool! yeah the highlights look like poo poo cause of the digital cameras, and the compositing is really rough in places, but it had a lot of good poo poo in it. i was honestly surprised

and i like that everyone acts like weird lizard people or characters in a play, it gives it a good vibe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zas posted:

i just watched aotc last night and it was really cool! yeah the highlights look like poo poo cause of the digital cameras, and the compositing is really rough in places, but it had a lot of good poo poo in it. i was honestly surprised

Its my favorite SW by far and I think the second best after ESB. It’s amazing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmyleg posted:

Reminder that this kid auditioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSnB7yGylc

(2:58 if the time doesn't embed)

The other finalist was pretty solid, too.

Nah the other two are acting too hard imo, Lloyd is more naturalistic and how a kid actually sounds. The others are acting like brooding teens

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i will say, two of the scenes that didn't work for me in aotc were when characters died in another characters arms, padme's decoy and then anakin's mom, the stageyness of it just kinda killed it for me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s fair. It’s not a naturalistic aesthetic at all which isn’t common anymore

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So, David Fincher was correct to say “Star Wars [is] the story of two slaves who go from owner to owner, witnessing their masters’ folly - the ultimate folly of man.”

My god star wars is Call of the Wild

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

feedmyleg posted:

Most people who hated George Lucas for the prequels are probably doing a bit of a re-evaluation on their opinion of him at this point.

No they are still poo poo, just in a different way than these movies.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mulva posted:

No they are still poo poo, just in a different way than these movies.

Bingo. I think it's fair to go back and say they aren't actually the worst movies ever made or whatever stupid hyperbole people lifted directly from RLM, but new movies being bad doesn't mean other bad movies are suddenly good. I get that some people genuinely like them, but that's true of every bad movie.

FWIW I think the prequels were in a basically unwinnable situation because even more than people having an idea in their heads of what Star Wars means that has transcended the movies themselves, Darth Vader is even more of a meme as the ultimate badass, so any treatment of young Darth Vader was obviously going to fail to live up to that.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 7, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I agree that the sequels being bad isn't what makes the prequels good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

...Snoke was, all along, an organic droid.

Moreso than even the Clone Troopers, who were at least raised from infancy, Snoke is an organic machine.

Leia’s been using bureaucratic loopholes like her diplomatic immunity to gently caress with the Emperor for years...Leia’s ignorance of the fact that the Senate isn’t there to back her up is why the Rebels are losing at the start of ESB. The Rebels may have destroyed the Death Star, but Palpatine has already eliminated the main source of their funding.
Have you considered watching The Clone Wars or Rebels and incorporating them into your reading? It's remarkable that material in the newest season of each supports your interpretations here.

I think the Clone Wars series in particular is an underrated achievement. I went in expecting to hate it, and found that it preserved the stylistic influences and moral questions from Lucas' original, which is my main grievance against the idea of Star Wars as a franchise. It has some weak stories over six seasons, and some narrative mistakes--there's a Padawan arc that's just Harry Potter, and some Force Ghost nonsense. But it's mostly concerned with the Jedi and the slave-soldiers on both sides.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Moreso than even the Clone Troopers, who were at least raised from infancy, Snoke is an organic machine. But Snoke is evidently ‘a droid who can ‘think’ and therefore endeavours to eliminate humanity. (Pop Quiz: can you name the other Star Wars character to wears only gold, and sits on a throne as god-king?)

This plays really well with the weird red hand C3P0 had in TFA.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I accidentally closed the narrative hole in Star Wars. Found the missing piece. I'm sorry.

Palpatine had a family. The Jedi came and took his force sensitive son when he was a toddler. Palpatine had hidden his own abilities from them but didn't think they would come for his son.

After they took him he began his revenge plot. He would destroy the Jedi. Destroy the Republic and find all of their heroes and take their own children from them for his own cult. A perfect revenge.

That child's name was Obi-Wan Ken Palpatine. He never saw him again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nah the other two are acting too hard imo, Lloyd is more naturalistic and how a kid actually sounds. The others are acting like brooding teens

Doesn't matter whoever of the kids auditioned better, what matters more imo is that Anakin should've never have been that young to start the story anyways.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ferrinus posted:

This plays really well with the weird red hand C3P0 had in TFA.

It still baffles me that he shows up at the end of that movie with his golden arm back.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zoran posted:

It still baffles me that he shows up at the end of that movie with his golden arm back.
JJ Abrams smirks and points to a cardboard box full of unsold cheap crap from a novelty shop while making "Mm-hmm? Uh-huh? Ah-hah?" noises.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I accidentally closed the narrative hole in Star Wars. Found the missing piece. I'm sorry.

Palpatine had a family. The Jedi came and took his force sensitive son when he was a toddler. Palpatine had hidden his own abilities from them but didn't think they would come for his son.

After they took him he began his revenge plot. He would destroy the Jedi. Destroy the Republic and find all of their heroes and take their own children from them for his own cult. A perfect revenge.

That child's name was Obi-Wan Ken Palpatine. He never saw him again.

gently caress it get pablo on the horn

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

feedmyleg posted:

I read some of those comics. They were very bad.

Good Star Wars things in chronological order:
ANH, Alec Guinness hating Star Wars, the Moebius-style Boba Fett Cartoon from the Holiday Special, the Star Wars Muppet Show episode, ESB, Harrison Ford hating Star Wars, the 80s Droids comics, the Tag & Bink comics, George Lucas hating Star Wars fans, the 2D Clone Wars, the 3D Clone Wars, George Lucas hating Star Wars, TLJ, me hating Star Wars
Ahem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNss5RWD6mY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like Cad Bane, even if his name is stupid. Amazing voice, great design, entertaining villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.