Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beachcomber posted:

I get the joke but it's not very funny. Like way below 'Sensible Chuckle'. It's more like, "Cause one side of your lips to do an anemic half-smile".

Maybe that's how it is in this, presumable nordic, country.

Laughing any more than that is wasteful. A sensible chuckle every few weeks is more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Looking forward to the ice, desert and volcano biomes in avatar 2, an upcoming platformer game

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

Avatar 2 will be the first movie with multiple DLC packs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Patch notes:
- reduced the Alita Effect. Navi eyes are now 15% less childlike
- re-enabled the "sexual characteristics" option. Navi breasts, nipples, cloavulvulae and pseudopenii are now viewable
- shortened cutscene leading to final battle due to song rights expiring

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

Have some Avatar 2 concept art:

http://twitter.com/officialavatar/status/1214419048974315520

Looks like Avatar 2 alright :shrug:

Wish I liked the production design of these things because I'm sure there's going to be some rad stuff in the sequels. As it stands they just look like bad Yes album covers. I wish they looked like rad Yes album covers.

I love that people are still plugging up their ears and going "lalala nobody cares about or remembers Avatar" even as the merest peek at concept art for the sequel is blowing up online.

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s not what I was saying and you know it. The people I’m referring to aren’t even on this forum. There’s absolutely a contingent of fans who hold A24 in the same reverence as Disney fans but think they’re better than the latter for doing so, as if A24 isn’t also a corporation that occasionally releases bad movies or will absolutely pull scummy moves when they view it beneficial, such as Midsommar’s home release or everything they’ve done to Under the Silver Lake.

My take can be summed up as “Don’t forget A24 is also a corporation,” which is not the same thing as “A24 is bad and nobody should like them.”

Iron Crowned posted:

Also I think James Cameron is the only one who still does 3D, the world has moved away from it once again.

It's going to be both 3D and high framerate, which is good because it means a bunch of theaters are going to be upgrading their equipment to handle high framerate since they don't want to miss on the biggest blockbuster of the year so future filmmakers who want to experiment with it won't be limited to a small handful of special theaters like Ang Lee's experimental high framerate movies were.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sleeveless posted:

It's going to be both 3D and high framerate, which is good because it means a bunch of theaters are going to be upgrading their equipment to handle high framerate since they don't want to miss on the biggest blockbuster of the year so future filmmakers who want to experiment with it won't be limited to a small handful of special theaters like Ang Lee's experimental high framerate movies were.

Good, the hobbit trilogy was terrible but the hfr made the 3d actually not a negative.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

An impressive looking log of poo poo is still a log of poo poo at the end of the day.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Patch notes:
- reduced the Alita Effect. Navi eyes are now 15% less childlike
- re-enabled the "sexual characteristics" option. Navi breasts, nipples, cloavulvulae and pseudopenii are now viewable
- shortened cutscene leading to final battle due to song rights expiring

Isn't this just the Cats patch notes? :v:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People want to be hyped about something and Avatar 2 might fit the bill and put butts in seats. It can be a total piece of poo poo but supposing it doesn't have to compete with something much more appealing coming out around the same time, maybe people will get excited for a while. So far it looks like it's going up against another Adam Sandler abortion, some DC movie about Black Adam which I guess ties in Shazam! which most people seem to have liked, and Guy Ritchie finally getting around the another Sherlock Holmes movie. The latter is what I most want to see.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

I heard they still hadn't fixed Rebel Wilson's noclip bug

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The vast majority of 3D today is done in post conversion and it looks just as good, if not better, IMO. You have way more control over it. Theres a lot of visual errors and small quirks that can occur when shooting native 3D and it limits a lot of what you can do shot wise. The way post conversion is handled is fairly complicated and involves a lot of stuff done on set like depth mapping.

IIRC, Avatar did have some post conversion work done on some scenes and shots.

Ive seen pretty much any big movie over the past decade available in 3D in the format in theaters and Id wager maybe 10% of them were actually shot in 3D. Its becoming unnecessary as the conversion tech has gotten so good. Every single Marvel film is post converted and they all look fantastic except some of the earlier ones like Thor. Doctor Strange is insanely cool in 3D.

Im a weirdo and I think 3D rules and I usually prefer to watch a film in it if I can, I just love the way it looks and feels and sort of envelopes me in a movie, truly seperating the image visually from the outside world. My 3D bluray collection is massive as Im lucky enough to own a home theater projector capable of projecting 3D. I dont think it will ever really die like it did after the 80s. There's still a market for it here and a big market for it China.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

here's my problem with this reading: in the subtext of the movie, the inherited trauma you're dismissing physically manifests as the cult that causes all these spectacularly violent events. the latter is a metaphor for the former. the movie is essentially saying that it's fundamentally impossible to break the cycle of abuse, and that if you're in a family with a history of it you should just embrace your inevitable death at the hands of your abusers rather than trying to break free or fight it.

this is why i really, really don't loving like Hereditary and why i've been kind of colored negatively on Aster's other stuff: because that's actively malicious messaging targeted at vulnerable people.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Speed runners prefer the unpatched version of Cats. The missing effects means less load times.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, those future filmmakers? They will only get into those upgrades theaters when they buy a ticket to whatever sequel/remake Disney pumps out. Very few will actually benefit from this wonderful technological advancement of blockbuster cinema.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Laughing any more than that is wasteful. A sensible chuckle every few weeks is more than enough.

A mirthless chuckle?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, those future filmmakers? They will only get into those upgrades theaters when they buy a ticket to whatever sequel/remake Disney pumps out. Very few will actually benefit from this wonderful technological advancement of blockbuster cinema.

Noted big-budget Disney sequel/remake Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk .

Also super high-framerate is blowing up in China and they have way more theaters with the technology that can handle it so that's only going to further catalyze the transition and adoption of it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The whole Western audiences being annoyed that China is being catered to would be a lot more fun without all the government oppression. Ah well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Producer's Guild Awards nominees are conspicuously missing most of the big superhero movies, unless you include Joker. I thought their producers usually get nominated since those movies are so successful in the industry. Maybe 2019 just had far more good movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sleeveless posted:

Noted big-budget Disney sequel/remake Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk .

Do me a favor and reread my post. Because this? This is a dumbass reply to that post.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

The Producer's Guild Awards nominees are conspicuously missing most of the big superhero movies, unless you include Joker. I thought their producers usually get nominated since those movies are so successful in the industry. Maybe 2019 just had far more good movies.

Going through their history for the last couple of years, they only seem to nominate one live action Superhero themed film. Like last year's nominee was Black Panther, and the year before that, Wonder Woman. In 2016 you had BvS, Civil War, Suicide Squad, and Dr Strange, and the only nominee was Deadpool.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bar Crow posted:

Speed runners prefer the unpatched version of Cats. The missing effects means less load times.

You can actually use an exploit to fall through the world map into the heaviside layer 20 seconds into the game

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AccountSupervisor posted:

Theres a lot of visual errors and small quirks that can occur when shooting native 3D and it limits a lot of what you can do shot wise.

Imagine having to plan your shots out.

Knowing the limits of the medium leads to superior filmmaking. This is the same reason that Jurassic Park still looks good, while Jurassic Park 3 looks terrible. Same reason practical effects look better. They decided what they wanted before filming.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Beachcomber posted:

Imagine having to plan your shots out.

Knowing the limits of the medium leads to superior filmmaking. This is the same reason that Jurassic Park still looks good, while Jurassic Park 3 looks terrible. Same reason practical effects look better. They decided what they wanted before filming.

Most film buffs constantly accuse modern practical effects of being "bad CGI" while also failing to even notice when CGI is being used because the idea that thanks to :biotruths: practical effects always look better and more real is just confirmation bias mixed with nostalgia.

Also I dare you to watch Jurassic Park in HD now and say that the lovely compositing on a lot of the CGI looks better than they do in 3, especially whenever it involved a CGI dino interacting with live humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-RPO10aPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jsmELqQge8

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sleeveless posted:

Also I dare you to watch Jurassic Park in HD now and say that the lovely compositing on a lot of the CGI looks better than they do in 3, especially whenever it involved a CGI dino interacting with live humans.

Guess what I did very recently.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The truth is different effects look better in different environments for different reasons, but the best effect is hiring twin actors.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

nonathlon posted:

I feel that Avatar 2 is going to go down the route of other long awaited autuer projects (Chinese Democracy, The Last Dangerous Visions, etc.): the longer the wait, the greater the pressure on the creators to make something to justify that wait, the more impossible the task ... and the projects never complete or get a long overdue release to only mild interest.

I’m going to hope that it follows the pattern of T2 and Aliens... sci-fi action sequels directed by James Cameron and released several years after the original that were awesome. Twelve years is longer than the 7 years later of those films, but not as much as some make it seem.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

The truth is different effects look better in different environments for different reasons, but the best effect is hiring twin actors.

When a marketable star dies before or during movie production, the current vogue is to use a CGI replacement, but I think we should go back to the practical effect of hiring people who look like the dead actor and pretending they're the same actor but with a slightly different last name.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m going to hope that it follows the pattern of T2 and Aliens... sci-fi action sequels directed by James Cameron and released several years after the original that were awesome. Twelve years is longer than the 7 years later of those films, but not as much as some make it seem.

It was thirty years between Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road. All you need is a good trailer.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 8, 2020

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I can't wait for the discussion to change from "Who is waiting for Avatar 2?" to "Why is everyone on the planet seeing Avatar 2?"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I wonder if there will be a Super Bowl spot for it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Super Bowl LV will be hosted in Pandora.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
GenChat is still closed, so, what's more essential, Upgrade or Hardcore Henry?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

pospysyl posted:

When a marketable star dies before or during movie production, the current vogue is to use a CGI replacement, but I think we should go back to the practical effect of hiring people who look like the dead actor and pretending they're the same actor but with a slightly different last name.

Bring back the Ed Wood method

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

You sure bro?

Also Upgrade for sure.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know about essential, but of the two, watch Upgrade.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Upgrade was a really fun sci-fi action flick with some great scenes. I went in with zero expectations though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

feedmyleg posted:

Upgrade. There are only some parts of hardcore Henry that's good which probably are already on youtube

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

There's a new GenChat thread.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The whole Western audiences being annoyed that China is being catered to would be a lot more fun without all the government oppression. Ah well.

Yeah, and the Chinese government isn't that great either.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tars Tarkas posted:

I can't wait for the discussion to change from "Who is waiting for Avatar 2?" to "Why is everyone on the planet seeing Avatar 2?"

Avatar backlash is truly going to be this year's equivalent of "Avengers Endgame is going to flop and Detective Pikachu is going to be the highest grossing film of the year, if not of all time" in terms of called shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Here is the thing, its not China that is being catered to. Its the Chinese censors and government that are being catered to.