Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
No seriously it sucks
Yeah
No it's cool
I have a disability so it's actually pretty great
Stop being such a whiner
View Results

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Home automation is really stupid unless you have a disability, in which case it's cool. Otherwise though it's dumb. I don't know why tech companies think I want to yell at my furnishings all the time to make it work, or have to unlock my phone just to turn off the light in my room. I'm just going to get up and turn it off, it's right over there. Most of it you have to go over to it to use it anyways, so I'm just going to work it there. TV remotes are nice I guess, but I can't think of anything else that gets a pass. Also the spying poo poo most of it does but whatever, smart phones do that and they're actually useful. I hate home automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It makes dumb people feel slick. Every idiot has alexa, and the only thing they do with it is ask it to play music.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

My vacuum automated the charging of my J.O. crystals, if you know what I mean, OP.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

imagine a fully automated home but its groverhaus

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the entire tech industry is bitches

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

"Ok google. Insulate stairs."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Human Crouton posted:

"Ok google. Insulate stairs."

"Igniting barbecue. Vinyl siding melted."

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

2 things would make me get an Alexa

1) If I could just call it "computer" and then ask a question like captain picard
2) If the device wasn't constantly spying on me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:agreed: OP.

Maybe it will be cool in the future, when it can really do advanced stuff. Right now it's mostly simple poo poo that takes just as long to do with your phone as it did the old fashion way. Switching lights on/off, locks, timers etc. Get back to me when I can use voice commands to summon my 3D waifu on the holodeck.

big_brother
Sep 27, 2015

I am already worried my benign houseware is listening to me, I really don't understand why people would invite more of it.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

Adds in a set of sensors so that if he comes home from work at exactly at 6:23 fireworks shoot out of the shed's mystery pipe.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Alexa, compose shitpost

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

actually its really really cool if you use it right

basically like star trek irl

there have been a lot of these threads lately and i seriously suspect y'all just dont know what you're doing

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*hands full of groceries, shoes on, coat on, just got in from work*

hey google i'm home

*lights come on, music plays, house starts to warm up, coffee starts, tv queues up peep show, etc*

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nah, I am a nerd and love computers but shoving the internet into every toaster, light bulb, and picture frame doesn't make anything better. Well, I guess it does make everything you own incredibly insecure.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It can be both stupid and cool OP

I've wasted so much time setting up https://www.openhab.org and https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge but now I can talk to my wristwatch and magically open the garage and my mailbox sends me a push message on my phone every time someone opens the lid and a lot of other stupid crap that doesn't make life any easier but gives me something to do on a weekend making sure it all still works

You can have a look at http://demo.openhab.org:8080/habpanel/index.html#/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

General Dog posted:

Alexa, compose shitpost

Captain Kirk giving a passionate speech about humanity being the essential component of a good shitposter

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
What do people do with all that extra time? 10 seconds saved turning on music, another 10 seconds saved asking what the weather will be, by the end of the week I'll have saved enough time to spend an extra 5 minutes deciding what to watch on netflix!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've wasted so much time setting up https://www.openhab.org and https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge but now I can talk to my wristwatch and magically open the garage and my mailbox sends me a push message on my phone every time someone opens the lid and a lot of other stupid crap that doesn't make life any easier but gives me something to do on a weekend making sure it all still works

A productive hobby that allows you to learn and develop skills and knowledge that's bullshit!!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Yeah it's not your possessions that's making you miserable, it's other people's possessions

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Peachfart posted:

Nah, I am a nerd and love computers but shoving the internet into every toaster, light bulb, and picture frame doesn't make anything better. Well, I guess it does make everything you own incredibly insecure.

This is an important point, it's probably better to DIY everything because you literally can't do a worse job than the idiot companies that flood the market with "connected" crap that run a full embedded linux system that is missing 10 years of security patches

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's really loving weird and stupid that Alexa took off. it's like seeing people wearing google glass everywhere.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
owning my dad every time i visit him by using the actual light switch to turn off the bathroom lights after pissing

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alexa play 100 hours of Tim Allen grunts

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Tom Gorman posted:

2 things would make me get an Alexa

1) If I could just call it "computer" and then ask a question like captain picard
2) If the device wasn't constantly spying on me

You can do the first, but ya second ain’t happening.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

GolfHole posted:

actually its really really cool if you use it right

basically like star trek irl

there have been a lot of these threads lately and i seriously suspect y'all just dont know what you're doing

I dunno, I thought Star Trek was more the exploring space and solving space problems then the having to talk to a computer to get a glass of water. I also just hate having to do that weird half-shout you have to do to make sure the thing understands you.

GolfHole posted:

*hands full of groceries, shoes on, coat on, just got in from work*

hey google i'm home

*lights come on, music plays, house starts to warm up, coffee starts, tv queues up peep show, etc*

Some stuff like the thermostat coming on at specific times to save money is good, I'll give you that.
Why are you watching TV and playing music at the same time?

What a hobby to have. How many tallies do you have for people trying to peep through the mail slot?

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 7, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Saint Drogo posted:

it's really loving weird and stupid that Alexa took off. it's like seeing people wearing google glass everywhere.

It's virtually almost entirely about the ability to play music hands free. Audio has always been relatively arcane compared to other hardware. Used to be you'd need a receiver, speakers, deal with a bunch of wiring, etc. and then either put on a vinyl or tape. Boomboxes helped a lot and so did all-in-one players and disc format, but it's still a relatively laborious experience, switching out discs, etc. for a medium where you'd want to do so often to hear everything you wanted to. Even phones and Blutooth require some setup and input, regardless if it's as simple as connecting devices, but those still have inconsistencies and mess up while requiring some form of third party app unless you transfer music directly to your device which is still work in some fashion.

With Alexa you set it up once, possibly connect Spotify, and you're set, just tell it to play whatever and it will.

I'm not making any judgements about that or saying how you should feel about it, but almost everyone I know who has an Alexa thingy or Google Home uses it for music the majority of the time.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

A piece of home automation I could get behind is butler robot, I could tell them to bring me a pop or give me a hug because I'm sad or help me build a TV stand or something. I would also be cool with a robot arm that I could mount to my couch and have reach into other rooms and stuff to do things, I mostly just want it so I could pick up and move people who walk in front of the TV though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A smart thermostat seems like it could be useful, if they didn't gently caress things up by forcing them to be part of an entire home automation system. Your toaster doesn't need to know how cool you keep your house.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Computer begin holodeck program, Riker's tight butthole

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

i'm going to get into this and close the garage door on your foot then laugh at you

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

the cool thing about these is that when it's just sold to normal people they dont know how to secure it so you get things like https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bbq4/podcast-livestreams-hacked-ring-cameras-nulledcast

quote:

A blaring siren suddenly rips through the Ring camera, startling the Florida family inside their own home.

"It's your boy Chance on Nulled," a voice says from the Ring camera, which a hacker has taken over. "How you doing? How you doing?"

"Welcome to the NulledCast," the voice says.

The NulledCast is a podcast livestreamed to Discord. It's a show in which hackers take over people's Ring and Nest smarthome cameras and use their speakers to talk to and harass their unsuspecting owners. In the example above, Chance blared noises and shouted racist comments at the Florida family.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/12/11/family-says-hackers-accessed-ring-camera-their-year-old-daughters-room/

quote:

“First, what happened I was in the hallway I thought it was my sister because I hear music. It’s like ‘tiptoe through the window.’ So I come upstairs and I hear some banging noise and I am like ‘who is that’,” she said.

When they played back the Ring video recording, her parents heard the alarming encounter Alyssa had with a man watching her room.

“I watched the video and I mean my heart just like... I didn’t even get to the end where she is screaming ‘mommy, mommy’ before I like ran inside,” said LeMay.

LeMay’s husband was home at the time watching the girls as she ran a quick errand.

The mysterious voice taunted her 8-year-old with music and encouraged destructive behavior before her dad came in the room ending the terror.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I never have to get up to turn off lights when I realize I forgot to after I sat down with my bowl of popcorn. I don't have to fumble with a switch when I come in with hands full of groceries. When I get out of the shower and want to cross the living room I can close the curtains that my wife always leaves open without scaring the neighbors. I never forget food in the oven because I never bother with a timer, but asking the house to remind me is easy. I never lose my phone because the house finds it. I had to call my wife about some super important poo poo but she was asleep with the phone on mute, so from a different city I dropped in on the bedroom to yell at her to wake up while flicking the lights and her white noise generator on and off. When a repair or cable comes by I can let him in from wherever. Ditto for telling the UPS guy it's okay to leave packages at the door. If I wanna know what percentage of my pay this Christmas bonus was or how many teaspoons are in a gallon or to convert Fahrenheit/Celsius I just ask the house. I can tell the house to remind me to pick up toilet paper and dog food when it sees my phone leaving work, which is sooo much better than a timed reminder because I can have weird hours at the hospital. I'm not even gonna get into how awesome it gets when you toss a Roomba in the mix.

Basically at this point my home is a host organism and I'm a parasite, and I love it. Having to remember not to plan any heists or do any drug deals in a room with the system on is a small price to pay, and targeted ads telling me when new Star Wars toys come out is a time saver.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I was going to troll the thread by saying that home automation is actually Hitler in disguise but here we are, reality is already better than my shitposting

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's virtually almost entirely about the ability to play music hands free. Audio has always been relatively arcane compared to other hardware.

Yeah it takes multiple seconds to go on youtube and type in what I want to listen to. I just don't have that kind of time to waste with my busy jacking off schedule

Admittedly the setup was quite difficult. Had to plug a cable into my speakers and an another one into the computer

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It's not even just that consumers don't know how to secure it. It's also that the companies making "smart" household items NEVER update their firmware and for the most part don't really care about security when they are rushing out products as cheaply as possible. So once an exploit is found it will not be fixed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"But it was SO convenient to be able to set a timer without using any of the ones built into every appliance in my kitchen, and to perform all the metric/imperial conversations that are inexplicably a regular part of my home life" I say while a Discord server full of teenagers hurls racial slurs at my family.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

setting up alexa to dim the lights when i fart for dramatic effect

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
It's counterintuitive to me to began a sentence by saying the name first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

It's not even just that consumers don't know how to secure it. It's also that the companies making "smart" household items NEVER update their firmware and for the most part don't really care about security when they are rushing out products as cheaply as possible. So once an exploit is found it will not be fixed.

this is true. probably also ends with you having to redo everytthing in 3 years once support ends for whatever has its claws in your net. also, all of your smart poo poo is powering huge botnets. your fridge and tv are working together to DDoS everything

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3240364/what-is-a-botnet.html