Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jeremy Saulnier's first film Murder Party is on Netflix and I highly recommend it to fans of Blue Ruin and Green Room. It might be the most bitter and misanthropic of all his films, it's a gently caress you to all the mediocrities in the Williamsburg scene of the 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
My favorite part of Murder Party is that one woman's video art project that is just her sitting in a bathtub while someone dumps hotdogs all over her. It's funny and also really believable, I've seen even dumber video art in real life.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Murder Party is a lot of fun. Each character is such a specific type of rear end in a top hat and/or dipshit and it rules.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
that's Saulnier's? i passed on it thinking it was another one cheap netflix horror joint

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

In general parodies of pretentious art students and New York art culture tend to be pretty bland and narrow themselves, but good god is Murder Party one of the best takes on the concept I've ever seen. Just brilliant from start to finish. A feature length version of the "Who wants to die for art?" gag in Female Trouble.

edit: Fun fact. Saulnier really likes Murder Party but had to downplay its existence when Blue Ruin came out cause the distributor knew the movie would get more attention if it was his "first film." So they played up like Blue Ruin was a debut instead of a sophomore effort.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

drat it if I had just posted three times less.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Murder Party rules.

It manages to be really over the top in a believable way if that makes any sense.

Like the situation is absurd and the characters all caricatures but they still feel like they're based in something real.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching it I got the feeling that the entire cast and crew came out of the same scene and were all in on the joke, it felt so specific to a time and place. I only got a couple short glimpses of what was going on there in real life but everything in the film felt really authentic to what I saw.

My favorite minor character is the suit-wearing med student (?) who shows up in the art space for one scene, and clearly was there to hang out with the freaks for a couple hours so that he had stories to tell his straight laced buddies.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Murder Party and Green Room is such an interesting parallel. The Comedy/Horror sides of the same coin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

844 ignored posts.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

844 ignored posts.

I will not dignify this with a response.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

My favorite part of Murder Party is that one woman's video art project that is just her sitting in a bathtub while someone dumps hotdogs all over her. It's funny and also really believable, I've seen even dumber video art in real life.

Speaking of video art, I’m back in Chicago and just discovered Sinema Obscura on local late night cable, they show a bunch of local music videos and short films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGA52me8Qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6S-Li_ToY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rthp4tC5Kx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW85UTXsRkM

Someone put together a YouTube playlist of a lot of the shorts they’ve shown.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH3YZYXyqMndS8GTavm3GmyLsCvT0-Pa8

it’s p fuckin awesome

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Franchescanado posted:

37,707 posts

32 Title Changes in 12 months.

Thread Rating:

14 Votes for 5 Star (six of which were lurkers and not persons who actually posted, which is pretty funny)
13 Votes for 2 Star
8 Votes for 1 Star

Total votes 40, average rating 3.02

Posting rate: Roughly 72 pages of posts a month, which is a little faster/popular than previous year(s)

Who rated it 1 star? I know one time I was one of the people who did that and it must have been a misclick because I didn't remember rating the chat thread anything at all, I generally don't bother to rate threads

Also, Monica Lewinsky tripping on acid with the Chapo boys sounds like one of the scripts that shows up on The Black List and never actually gets produced.

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1214629094136188929?s=20

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Franchescanado posted:

Oh, the weird atonal synth bass drops that happened every so often were legitimately awesome, and fueled the horror of the film in an impressive way. It reminded me of an 80's Italian horror film.

I love the synths that are about two decades out of style

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Skwirl posted:

Who rated it 1 star? I know one time I was one of the people who did that and it must have been a misclick because I didn't remember rating the chat thread anything at all, I generally don't bother to rate threads
I have absolutely clicked the one star by accident on multiple occasions, and I usually shout OH NO after I do it because I like this thread, it's one out of three I post in on this entire forum.

Also: I'll get you next time, TrixRabbi :argh:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Skwirl posted:

Who rated it 1 star?

Forget that. Who the hell rates a thread 2 stars?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

gey muckle mowser posted:

I had to go to a student art gallery in SoHo a couple years back and one of the pieces was a see-through fleshlight with a running vibrator stuck in it, so that’s my gold standard for stupid art.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Also: I'll get you next time, TrixRabbi :argh:

You're already behind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TrixRabbi posted:

You're already behind.

I'm going to have to really step up my poo poo posting to beat CPL

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TrixRabbi posted:

Of the Saulnier I've seen Blue Ruin is the most Just Okay. Green Room is a masterpiece and Murder Party is an underrated delight.

edit: He needs to make a film with Red in the title to complete the trilogy.

Red R...

I watched Blue Ruin around the time Green Room came out and was kind of apprehensive beforehand, what I read on here about Saulnier made me expect something intense and gnarly... which Blue Ruin was in parts, but the main character was so oddly Zen at the beginning that it really helped me get through the rest of the movie. Then Green Room turned out to be completely worthy of apprehension, a bunch of people who love life just dying horribly, then some Nazi fucks dying a little less horribly.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, I post too much.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Honestly I ranked way higher than I expected given I go long stretches without posting.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
ytotd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chu4mvEUc5I

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The singing in CATS is quite rough to be honest, I'm sure this is a choice on Hooper's part but it doesn't quite work.

A lot of Hollywood musicals just cast faces you know instead of people who can sing and I'm glad they're finally paying for it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Adding my vote to the motion that Murder Party rules

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Was Hold the Dark any good? I love Saulnier and Im gonna watch Murder Party tonight but Ive heard very mixed things about Hold the Dark.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Jeremy is underrated as a comedy director

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also didn't love to learn I posted more than one thousand times in the last thread

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Peccadillo posted:

Also didn't love to learn I posted more than one thousand times in the last thread

The Poster’s Lament

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Peccadillo posted:

Think I found a reason for that?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That's not a reason at all

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

37,707 posts

Thread Rating:

14 Votes for 5 Star (six of which were lurkers and not persons who actually posted, which is pretty funny)
13 Votes for 2 Star
8 Votes for 1 Star

Posting rate: Roughly 72 pages of posts a month, which is a little faster/popular than previous year(s)

I may have fatfingered a vote accidentally while phonebrowsing. Sorry.

Oh hey, can you actually check what/if I voted?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

AccountSupervisor posted:

Was Hold the Dark any good? I love Saulnier and Im gonna watch Murder Party tonight but Ive heard very mixed things about Hold the Dark.

It's severely okay to disappointing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

McCloud posted:

I may have fatfingered a vote accidentally while phonebrowsing. Sorry.

Oh hey, can you actually check what/if I voted?

You used to be able to (or mods couldat least), like I said, on a previous chat thread the then mod listed everyone who rated the thread and I apparently fat fingered a 1 rating and that was the first I knew about it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

I, Butthole posted:

It's severely okay to disappointing

Good to know, I totally forgot he directed it and never really felt compelled to check it out.

Bummer hes got nothing else slated after his two eps of True Detective.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ehhhhhh it’s decent. Got some good scenes but the script’s confusing and flabby.

Bummer hes got nothing else slated after his two eps of True Detective.

He’s making another one for Netflix called Rebel Ridge, and John Boyega’s attached. Too bad we’re never gonna see it because Iran just launched missiles at a US military base in Iraq lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
All the stuff everyone is saying about Cats sounds made up but you could also never convince me that it's all made up. Anyway here's the superior cockroach musical sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_EiJgTodQ

Franchescanado posted:

37,707 posts

Thread Rating:

13 Votes for 2 Star
8 Votes for 1 Star

Please don't tell anyone how I live.

Skwirl posted:

I'm going to have to really step up my poo poo posting to beat CPL

The mistake all of you are making is that you have lives. WHEN THE END COMES I WILL BE ALL THAT IS LEFT!

fake edit: I think I might have been one of the 1 votes because I thought it was funny and I know mods can see those.

TrixRabbi posted:

In general parodies of pretentious art students and New York art culture tend to be pretty bland and narrow themselves, but good god is Murder Party one of the best takes on the concept I've ever seen. Just brilliant from start to finish. A feature length version of the "Who wants to die for art?" gag in Female Trouble.

I have a friend who went to art school and the thing she's told me a bunch of times is that the way art school/students/artists are portrayed in pop culture is either spot on or not stupid enough. She took me to an art installation once to show me this in person and it was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen. Basically it was some rented room in a basement that played a repitituous bass tone in threes like "boom boom boom" and in the center of the room was three tables each with a little wooden rack that held a can of beer or a little cup of wine. When someone took an item off the table these dim colored lights over the tables would flash a little.; It was pretty obvious that everyone was there for the free beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqmNaOn56mc

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 8, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah war time

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Yessssssssssssssss.

Fun fact: my most prized DVD in my collection is the official Sifl and Olly Season 3 DVD I bought from Liam Lynch's site twenty goddamn years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Yessssssssssssssss.

Fun fact: my most prized DVD in my collection is the official Sifl and Olly Season 3 DVD I bought from Liam Lynch's site twenty goddamn years ago.

I've tried to get one of those but they very rarely appear on ebay. They don't even sell for much, they're just super rare. I have a bootleg set with all three seasons but whoever made it got cheap about the discs and crammed season three onto a single dvd so it's really compressed and looks worse than the other episodes which are sourced from home tapings. I never watched season 3 because of this. I have an ebay alert for it and a few months back an official season 3 set came up and sold for :10bux: and for some reason I didn't get the alert. I'm still pretty pissed

On another note, former CD forums poster Geekboy just showed me this:
https://twitter.com/baphometadata/status/1214362811276681218

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 8, 2020