Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Completely dismissed Dracula to watch Shazam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Nihonniboku posted:

Three recommendations from this weekend:

Season 4 of The Magicians has been up on Netflix for a few weeks now, and I got to rewatch it. It really is one of the most compelling shows on TV, and everyone should struggle through the rough season 1 to get to the brilliant later seasons.

The new John Mulaney kids special is legit weird and hilarious and much more enjoyable than I expected.

I unfairly wrote off You because it started as a Lifetime show. Turns out to be insanely compelling, and I couldn't stop watching.

Do they ever get rid of the main character in The Magicians? He made the show unwatchable for me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you liked (or loved) Fleabag on Amazon Prime, you can get another dose of Phoebe Waller-Bridge and her raunchy wit from her six-episode sitcom Crashing on Netflix. It's not quite as good, but what is?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, Renfri was a princess taken into the woods to be killed by a huntsman under orders from Renfri's stepmother and her wizard. But the huntsman lets her live and eventually Renfri ends up teaming up with 7 traveling companions. The Last Wish is just stories about Geralt finding himself in fairy tales.

Is it more clear in the books? I’m in the middle of the show, and I know that (Witcher episode 5)the wizard dude wanted her dead but I don’t think they talked about a huntsman. Or maybe I just missed it. I’m usually pretty good at following shows like this, but I had to turn on subtitles like halfway through the first episode because the names and kingdoms and poo poo were all really confusing. Once I put on the subtitles it became a lot clearer who was who and what factions were doing what.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

remigious posted:

Dracula isn’t hot so I’m not watching it :(

He was much better looking in The Square. I didn’t even realize this was the same guy, I don’t know why they decided “boring middle aged dad” was a good look.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

Do they ever get rid of the main character in The Magicians? He made the show unwatchable for me.

No he's still there, marginally less whiny than s1. The rest of the show is crazy enough to make it worthwhile though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

VaultAggie posted:

He died this last season. Now its a show with no main character though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Dracula's fun but it thinks it's way smarter than its genre and it can be grating. Among what I did like was the cast hams it up quite nicely.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turambar posted:

I know Christmas was a few days ago, but I watched Klaus yesterday.

I'm really glad I did. The animation's gorgeous. Each frame is a work of art. The movie is a lot of fun as well. Lots of jokes and a heartwarming story. Highly recommend!

Lots of CGI animated movies look beautiful, but it's currently impossible to get the same level of personality that you get from hand-drawn animation.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

VaultAggie posted:

He actually got a lot better in season 4. Only for them to kill him off in a very permanent way. The producers afterwards confirmed that Jason Ralph came to them after filming season 4 saying he didn't want to do the show anymore. They shot additional scenes to make the rest of the cast think he was not really dead, then didn't include that scene in the final cut. So, yeah, he's gone, and the fans were generally devastated.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
The longer I watched Dracula the more drained I felt.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nohearum posted:

The longer I watched Dracula the more drained I felt.

Maybe Stephen Moffat is an energy vampire, like that office guy in What We Do In The Shadows TV show.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I turned Dracula off after about 20 minutes.

Sweetheart was surprisingly okay. Kind of a weak last 2 acts, but I enjoyed the first.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
So Dracula is way more Sherlock season four than Sherlock season two, is what I'm hearing, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

beanieson posted:

Is it more clear in the books? I’m in the middle of the show, and I know that (Witcher episode 5)the wizard dude wanted her dead but I don’t think they talked about a huntsman. Or maybe I just missed it. I’m usually pretty good at following shows like this, but I had to turn on subtitles like halfway through the first episode because the names and kingdoms and poo poo were all really confusing. Once I put on the subtitles it became a lot clearer who was who and what factions were doing what.

Everything I mentioned was called out in the first episode, either by the wizard or Renfri.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Human Tornada posted:

So Dracula is way more Sherlock season four than Sherlock season two, is what I'm hearing, right?
oh yeah, it's trash, but it gets to be fun trash, if each ep were 30 mins shorter would be better though

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I miss that cancelled show where Dracula is Victorian Batman who teams up with gadget-inventing Van Helsing to fight occult industrial tycoons.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The MSJ posted:

I miss that cancelled show where Dracula is Victorian Batman who teams up with gadget-inventing Van Helsing to fight occult industrial tycoons.

was that around the same time as the vampire hunter abe lincon movie?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Season 3 of Occupied is on Netflix.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/BloodyMarquis/status/1214175874108579840?s=19

https://twitter.com/BloodyMarquis/status/1214182540162076673?s=19

Etc

E: I'm on episode three or four of Watchemen; there's no way it continues this asymptotic climb in quality is there

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 7, 2020

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It levels off a bit at the end to do the grunt work of completing the story. It's still one of the best single seasons of TV over the last decade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

E: I'm on episode three or four of Watchemen; there's no way it continues this asymptotic climb in quality is there

It does until the last two episodes, where it dips back down and flounders a bit. But overall it's very very good, yes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the last couple of episodes, once Dr. Manhattan shows up are lousy, but the Abar/Tulsa storyline is strong enough that the overall show is still pretty good.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone checked out Reprisal or Nos4A2 on Hulu? Thoughts?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The penultimate episode of Watchmen was good, but basically from a completely different show than the first 3 or 4 episodes.

The last episode is just straight up terrible as an episode of anything, doubly so as the conclusion to that particular story. It's very strange because even the budget in the last episode seemed to run out

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My fiancée wants to watch some US history documentaries since she’s forgotten everything from grade school. What are a good fee that range from beginnings to now?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

George H.W. oval office posted:

My fiancée wants to watch some US history documentaries since she’s forgotten everything from grade school. What are a good fee that range from beginnings to now?

The Civil War on Netflix is very, very good, and has a murderers row of A list voice talent.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Check American Experience and Frontline on PBS. These tend to be middle-dives on single subjects, but they do a lot of establishing work and don't assume you know anything about the topic, but they also are not dumb.

Also ask in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3269030

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Does anyone watch/like Peaky Blinders? Every season of this show gets worse and worse

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Deadite posted:

Does anyone watch/like Peaky Blinders? Every season of this show gets worse and worse

Yeah I quit after two even though I like Sam Niell in theory. Mostly residually for Event Horizon and In the Mouth of Madness I guess :shrug:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Deadite posted:

Is it bad? I don't know. After 3.5 seasons I quit because even though I enjoyed it on some level the motivation to watch another episode was missing.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
It's bad in the sense that it's all style over substance. Lots of shots of the cast looking cool and walking to contemporary music.

It's frustrating because the Shelbys are bad people, but the show doesn't seem comfortable admitting that so every other character on the show is a mustache-twirling caricature of a villain. And every season seems to go: Tommy is going to lose everything! No wait he had a secret plan all along so he wins and in fact has gained a higher station in life.

At this rate this season will end with him becoming prime minister, and next season he will be crowned king of england

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone else find the pushback against the Netflix model of dropping an entire season to be weird? The arguments in favor to the traditional weekly model mostly all revolve around keeping hype around the show, rather than the content of the show itself. Hype being the most important thing.

For gently caress sake, don't bring back the old ways just because you want to savor baby Yoda memes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone else find the pushback against the Netflix model of dropping an entire season to be weird? The arguments in favor to the traditional weekly model mostly all revolve around keeping hype around the show, rather than the content of the show itself. Hype being the most important thing.

For gently caress sake, don't bring back the old ways just because you want to savor baby Yoda memes.

I found the weekly release of the Mandalorian to be annoying because all of the media outlets fought to get their episode recaps out right away, and there were spoilers everywhere. I knew about baby Yoda hours before I even watched the first episode. I ended up stealthily watching every episode at my desk at work every Friday morning.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Detective No. 27 posted:

A weekly release schedule allows for speculation, and the build up of a narrative arc over the weeks which you can't get if you are just binging an entire season in a weekend. Pacing yourself doesn't work because there is a good chance you'll get spoiled by someone who just binges the show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't mind either method, but here's a few of my observations regarding myself and when I talk with others (such as at work).

When an entire season drops on Netflix, I'll watch it over the weekend or the week. Even if it's not very good, I'll finish it, because why not. I've just got a few more episodes to go. I think they call that the sunk cost fallacy. I suspect this is the case for a lot of people.

When a series is weekly, I find that if the show isn't that great, I forget when a new episode has aired, so I lose interest and stop watching it. On the other hand, if it's a show I like, I make drat sure to watch the new episode ASAP. For me, the weekly model helps me filter out lovely shows.

I also find that when an entire season drops on Netflix, it doesn't prompt for much discussion with people I know. This definitely goes along with what you said about hype. When a new season drops on Netflix, it's usually the following: "

-"Hey did you watch the new season of X"
-"Yeah it was fine. I liked x,y,and z. And that cliffhanger? I think I'll check out the next season"

On the other hand, with popular weekly shows, they get a lot more discussion at work. This used to be called water cooler tv. I like having those discussions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yes it's super dumb. Like, they can just watch one a week if they want. No one is stopping them. but don't try and gently caress it up for everyone else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Peaky Blinders is dumb as hell and I love every minute of it

It lives in the same part of my brain that still enjoys oldschool goth nights

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone else find the pushback against the Netflix model of dropping an entire season to be weird?

It's bullshit. I think it's one of those situations where a tiny minority of people are extremely vocal about something they probably don't even care much about, and Disney bots trolling Netflix. I rarely watch things when they first drop and yet manage to avoid spoilers by just avoiding places where I would see spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think that the Netflix model is better for the viewers in most aspect (there were some good points made about water cooler chat which you don't get nearly as much of with a mass release) but I think that the weekly model winds up being better for the show itself (if it's actually good it can build and maintain hype over an extended period)