Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Even though I mostly lurk I’m posting to be probed in solidarity

Edit: or something like that. Whatever. I had a rough night so all this forums drama is a nice surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Freaking Crumbum posted:

why did you just reiterate what jeff said with slightly more detail? having more information about your dumbass operation doesn't help anything

resign and autoban yourself op

for real he wrote that entire post and then just abruptly stopped halfway through the story without even addressing any of the moderator actions he's been taking or the recent issues with fyad or anything

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve never felt prouder and more like a part of this dumb loving community

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
im glad now that the mods are responding to us they are still not addressing any of the issues people have brought up and are instead choosing to continually explain and justify this incredibly loving stupid scheme of theirs

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 8, 2020

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

THS posted:

yeah if ppj is utterly sincere and had the best of intentions this is no less completely insane

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
also ppj have you considered that youre actually a nazi?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I think probing people calling the mod who joined discord for literal nazis, who we also can't really trust because we don't know him, a nazi is probably a touch tone deaf and also maybe not the 'right' way to handle this situation. It's an abuse of power really and you should all have been prepared for this kind of fall out, because face it. It's a little controversial.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
oh i get it this is just like in metroid fusion where samus had metroid dna fused into her person in order to sruvive

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

This just leads to a conclusion that you're very well intentioned but have pisspoor judgment.

There are enough attacks elsewhere and even if the jokes on this were funny for a bit, I worry that we've kind of lost the thread with this whole Nazi hunting adventure.

Are the mods going to address anything else, or has the SS hunting debacle sucked all of the oxygen out of the room?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

You wrote that whole post and then stopped like halfway through the story

I have more questions now than I did before

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ogianres posted:

you are either a lying nazi or a gigantic dumbass

actually both is very possible by this point

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

holy poo poo what the gently caress

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/378300435322241024/664329039204581386/garfield1.mp4

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Thinking about how blessed I was to see the adtrw mod meltdown. the rgd mod have a baba booey meltdown, and now this FWUCKING poo poo LMAO

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

quote:

Remember when I said that the first thing anyone says if you get approached by a spy is "CALL THE loving FEDS, DON'T DO ANYTHING"?

There's a few reasons for that.

1. You are likely not trained in counterintelligence. They are.

The person trying to get information out of you is trained to get information out of people while keeping theirs. You are likely not trained in how to see that coming, let alone get information out of them. This means that they are a few chess moves ahead of you while you're sitting there trying to figure out whether you want to be the red or black checkers. You're already at a disadvantage.

2. The fact that you're talking to them is enough for them to work with.

If you decide that you're smart enough to go ahead and play along or feed them bad information, they already have some record of you chatting with the spy. Now they can use that as leverage to get you to actually provide information, since you're basically compromised at this point and can lose your job or position. At that point, they don't even have to try and bribe you or appeal to your ego/ideology/hatred for your country.

3. You have no leverage to make them go away, except by calling the cops before it even starts.

Seriously. If you're willing to play ball, they will continue playing ball and tugging until you're no longer useful. If you start out giving them things and then go "oh god, maybe I don't want to be a spy any more", congratulations, you're still guilty of espionage for everything you've already done. They can use that to keep you in the game.

4. A lot of espionage starts out as you having a friend to exploit the fact that you're friends.

Seriously. It's not some super attractive person with a hint of an accent sliding up to you in a bar and asking what you do for a living. It's a friend of a friend who eventually asks if you want to earn some extra money or do them a solid. There's a decent chance you don't know who they're working for and you might not ever find out because you don't need to know. All they want is your information.

5. You don't have the resources, expertise, or connections to solve this on your own.

You are one person. Maybe you're smart, maybe you just have some connection to something someone wants. All of your internet detective-ing isn't going to suss out who wants your information, who the person you're talking to is, or what their overall goal is. Say what you want about spooks, they have a lot of money and resources to throw at problems, whether those problems are "I want this guy's information" or "I want to know who wants this guy's information". You don't.

So, there's a few basic things.

Now, with that in mind, let's look at this 'operation'.

1. We used a goon.

Goon project jokes aside, the unifying factor among all of us is "We paid $10". How much loyalty does $10 get you? Sure, a bunch of us are friends, but that means absolutely gently caress all. One of the reasons you use spooks for this sort of thing is that spooks, usually, have some sort of higher loyalty that keeps them grounded during all of this. There isn't a loving person on these forums I'd trust to infiltrate Nazis, not because I think you're all secretly Nazis, but because there's a special combination of "I can blend into this community" and "I know they're not a Nazi or going to become one" and $10 isn't enough to make me trust any of you with that. Sorry.

If the admins wanted something like this, they should have hired some outside help. If PPJ volunteered for this, all bets are off because see the above bullet points. Instead of the spy wanting something from you, now the spy is offering you information. Same rules apply.

2. PPJ used his own account, as a moderator, to infiltrate this group.

This is bad from the get-go. If he's not compromised (i.e, an actual Nazi) from the get-go, they're probably going to want him to prove his loyalty. If you don't have moderator powers, this could be anything from "get information" to "help harass this person". If you do have moderator buttons, the sky's the loving limit. Probe posters, ban posters, leak the mod forum, all of it. If he wasn't compromised but wants to keep in the good graces of the people he's dealing with, he'd probably have to do some shady questionable poo poo with his buttons. At that point, he's susceptible to blackmail. See above.

3. PPJ used his position in the group to warn people of Nazi action.

If PPJ is compromised, he can feed any amount of 'bad' information to the mods and have them react. At that point, they don't have to actually do anything, just task PPJ to rile up the goons every once in a while for the lulz. If PPJ isn't compromised, they can start leaking specific plans, often to specific people, to see what gets passed on and how the targets react. If they find out that KM goes dark every time there's a threat and PPJ is in the chat, there's your smoking gun. At that point, even if he's not compromised, he's under suspicion and they can start feeding him bad information. Once again, you're dealing with professionals.

4. There is no way of knowing PPJ's loyalties.

See the previous #1, but this boils down to "You know PPJ is a member of X and Y. You cannot say for certain that he is not a member of Z, which is even worse than X and Y put together." If PPJ was compromised at any point, guess what? Your entire plan is now turned on its head and he's spying on you.

5. The admins decided to keep this hush-hush.

This one is actually understandable, because you want to protect your sources and methods, i.e, we have a mole or several in Nazi Discords. The problem with this is that if your mole is particularly hated and has a visible position under his own name on the forums, people are going to do some digging because they want to bring down the bad guy. Now your entire plan is revealed to everybody because he had to operate under his own name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, with all of that, I'm going to say that this was loving irresponsible, stupid, and dangerous.

Spies use fake names and documents all the time, you have access to the literal databases where you could make a fake account and start seeding it with posts, why would you use a moderator that people vocally dislike? gently caress, make a new mod in Private Game Servers if them having access to the mod forum for leaks is important for clarity. If they need to prove that they're a mod, make some fake accounts to post in your chosen forum so you can probate them with the secret Nazi phrase.

If you're volunteering to spy for something, people should be really really suspicious of where your loyalties lie because you're already declaring "I want to betray someone's trust for my own gain". As I said before, it would be trivial to hand over fake information and create additional layers of security for Naziposting where Nazis could operate without being seen by the goon moles. It's dangerous to have someone in a position of authority doing this because we can't prove where anyone's loyalties lie and it just takes one request to use moderation powers for Nazi things to compromise someone for a long time.

I'll take a few more questions if anyone has them.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

thank god we have a spy to tell us that something sensitive users are suckshit nazis

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mystic pimp posted:

im glad now that the mods are responding to us they are still not addressing any of the issues people have brought up and are instead choosing to continually explain and justify this incredibly loving stupid scheme of theirs

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

jesus christ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I may be a computer toucher who can't mod sub forums, but I'm also a key operative in the nazi discord espionage, who has produced so far zero results

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

make this a loving site wide announcement open to comments right now

This, all the hermit forums need to be informed

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mystic pimp posted:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

wait... why didnt they just ban the guys posting nazi poo poo in the discord again

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

why did you stop halfway through the story

yeah I noticed that too

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Ironic bigotry is still bigotry (unless a mod does it)

Serf
May 5, 2011

c-spam's power grows

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Toalpaz posted:

I think probing people calling the mod who joined discord for literal nazis, who we also can't really trust because we don't know him, a nazi is probably a touch tone deaf and also maybe not the 'right' way to handle this situation. It's an abuse of power really and you should all have been prepared for this kind of fall out, because face it. It's a little controversial.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

Thinking about how blessed I was to see the adtrw mod meltdown. the rgd mod have a baba booey meltdown, and now this FWUCKING poo poo LMAO
the nazi discord is a sea of porcupines

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You should probably be removed because literally every person you ban or probate is going to believe you did it for nazi reasons

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

very much happy to be in this internet history thread

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

0 rows returned posted:

why the gently caress is some coupons and sa-mart dick in here probating people

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
typical lib bullshit of giving you the gish gallop and pretending like you're too dumb to understand why they did nothing wrong and you should shut up

from the nazi mod

gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

reopen the flame forum to flame these idiots

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Do you teach courses on spycraft?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SKULL.GIF posted:

for real he wrote that entire post and then just abruptly stopped halfway through the story without even addressing any of the moderator actions he's been taking or the recent issues with fyad or anything

?

the fyad and ppj issues are separate

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Baller Ina posted:

What is with mods/admins emerging from the shadows to blast probes at C-SPAM all of a sudden

It was Reene earlier and now an admin I didn't even know existed
i'm purely speculating im not stating what i think is fact or not at all whatsoever

but was there a cover-up attempt on revealing this information that everyone unanimously is gobsmacked by?

benghazi 2 in her perma'd post literally was talking about the offsite discord ppj was in

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

and we all laughed at the guy who said fyad was a russian psyop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baller Ina posted:

What is with mods/admins emerging from the shadows to blast probes at C-SPAM all of a sudden

It was Reene earlier and now an admin I didn't even know existed

really good look when some mod that has never interacted with the community is probing people for a week because they were mean to their nazi best friend, they should probably resign too theres no way to damage control this poo poo lmao