Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

What's up with Looking Glass? Anything outside of it just being a late alpha/early beta thing?

early beta stuff, it's just a lot of work to get going and it's very hardware-specific to quirks and iommu groups and things not resetting properly when you shut down and that kind of thing, or so I've read

better be handy around xen config options and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I should ask the VM thread, but probably worth asking if you're on the line: is the. VRAM copy unique to Looking Glass or is there similar stuff for ESXI?

Smart thing is to put hypervisor output on a secondary monitor and just launch VMs to the main, but I'm into making things harder than they should be.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I already can't wait for the GamersNexus video where they tear apart the new NUC, put a PCI extension cable on the cpu module, and flip it over for better thermals.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
One thing that was missing from AMDs CES show for me was a mention of B550. I've never watched these kind of shows before so is a new chipset something they'd announce at a place like CES, or would they just release it without any fanfare?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lungboy posted:

One thing that was missing from AMDs CES show for me was a mention of B550. I've never watched these kind of shows before so is a new chipset something they'd announce at a place like CES, or would they just release it without any fanfare?

They'll release B550 boards alongside desktop Renoir, is my guess.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Adams posted:

I already can't wait for the GamersNexus video where they tear apart the new NUC, put a PCI extension cable on the cpu module, and flip it over for better thermals.

You don't think that's more Linus' thing?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

LRADIKAL posted:

Linus would try to watercool the NUC with a chiller 100x the volume of the NUC.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I agree that Linus would try to watercool the NUC, except with a "homemade" waterblock. I think we still have yet to see what they did with that CNC mill they bought.

eames
May 9, 2009

If I remember correctly the rumours about this type of NUC first appeared around Razer’s water cooled, modular PC vision. All of this seems technically possible now, the backbone would be a large multi port PCI bridge with an AIO and PSU built into it; the ports could be regular PCIe and the modules would slot in with prefilled, drip free liquid connectors.

e: this thing - dont ask me why one would want it over a regular *tx computer. OT but I also like how the ceo calls out "copy cats" of the Razer Blade, which is a completely unique unibody design never seen before.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 8, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Linus would try to watercool the NUC with a chiller 100x the volume of the NUC.

Thankfully so

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaocaholica posted:

Are multi socket 'desktop' platforms going away since you can now stick 64 cores into a single socket?

edit: but then why have massive multi threaded performance on the desktop when you can have twice as massive? I guess there's always a niche need.

Windows licensing doesn't really support multi-socket these days without getting up in to the Pro for Workstation skus. At that point, you're talking about high-end precision towers and whatnot which are really just rebadged tower variants of PowerEdge servers, so you're on a Xeon or Epyc regardless.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Arzachel posted:

They'll release B550 boards alongside desktop Renoir, is my guess.

That should be pretty soon so I hope so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Windows licensing doesn't really support multi-socket these days without getting up in to the Pro for Workstation skus. At that point, you're talking about high-end precision towers and whatnot which are really just rebadged tower variants of PowerEdge servers, so you're on a Xeon or Epyc regardless.

You mean Windows Pro? Because at any company you are going to run Pro or enterprise even on a celeron with 2GB of RAM. Pro lets you join a domain, it is way too critical to ignore in any place with more than a dozen computers. I mean maybe you can get away with home on a few special devices but why mix licensing?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pixaal posted:

You mean Windows Pro? Because at any company you are going to run Pro or enterprise even on a celeron with 2GB of RAM. Pro lets you join a domain, it is way too critical to ignore in any place with more than a dozen computers. I mean maybe you can get away with home on a few special devices but why mix licensing?

nope, Windows Pro For Workstations is a different thing

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2017/08/10/microsoft-announces-windows-10-pro-workstations/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just installed regular windows 10 pro on a 2P workstation and none of my CPUs are missing. Pretty sure that’s been a thing since XP. Maybe 4P+ needed something different.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pro supports dual socket configurations, quad socket configurations need Pro for Workstations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What I meant is that 2P workstations might not be as popular in light of massive core count 1P solutions. But then the companies buying 2P monsters have god money anyway so they’ll still keep buying 2P but now with ridiculous core counts. Just not sure if that’s enough of a market to keep 2P workstations a thing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kazinsal posted:

Pro supports dual socket configurations, quad socket configurations need Pro for Workstations.

That’s odd naming it ‘for workstations’ when there are no commercial 4P workstations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

That’s odd naming it ‘for workstations’ when there are no commercial 4P workstations.

I assume it's chicken / egg, maybe some company even said they planned to make some then backed out. Why make a 4P workstation if it can only run server and linux? Just make a tower server.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m already thinking about doing a budget epyc max ram build a few years from now when the parts are cheaper on the used market.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

LRADIKAL posted:

Linus will immerse the NUC in mineral oil while describing the needlessly complex system they've set up to circulate and cool the oil. He'll spend a day and half trying to figure out why the NUC doesn't work when the fan shroud is removed, then Luke will come in to tell him he bought electrically conductive oil.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Recently I bought this processor:

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX

it is sitting on this mobo:

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard

edit should probably say the issue I'm having is the same one with the CPU fan spiking to what sounds like max RPM under light loads

Google tells me via this reddit thread that I need to adjust my fan speed settings but I don't want to just jump on doing that without asking the trusted goon hivemind for advice.

What say you?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Updated BIOS should fix that fan curve and so should installing the latest chipset drivers that will include the correct power settings.

I'm pretty sure the fan speed issue is supposed to be sorted on all boards at this point.

My 3700X in my B450 Tomahawk is pretty near silent even under a gaming load, I'm sure if I ran something that used every core I'd actually hear the fans ramp up but that's heavy load and you are talking about light so make sure you are up to date then see if you have something set wrong with your curves still.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

tangy yet delightful posted:

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe 4.0 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.2 AMD X570 ATX Motherboard

edit should probably say the issue I'm having is the same one with the CPU fan spiking to what sounds like max RPM under light loads

Google tells me via this reddit thread that I need to adjust my fan speed settings but I don't want to just jump on doing that without asking the trusted goon hivemind for advice.

What say you?

If you have the stock cooler on there, yeah mine did that too back in Sept until I replaced it with a Scythe Mugen 5. Dunno how the new bios updates compare on the stock cooler though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I do have the stock cooler but I haven't done any BIOS updating so I'll give that a go first.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Everyone reworked their licensing away from per-socket when it became apparent that core counts on servers and workstations were about to explode. :shrug:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Everyone reworked their licensing away from per-socket when it became apparent that core counts on servers and workstations were about to explode. :shrug:

Or if you're Oracle, you did it 15 years ago because you're huge dicks making an easy cash grab as customers moved to right-sizing with VMs

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Or if you're Oracle, you did it 15 years ago because you're huge dicks making an easy cash grab as customers moved to right-sizing with VMs

Larry Ellison has never not been a complete cock-knocker, and Oracle has always been relentless in their quest to more effectively price-gouge customers.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Does the Ryzen 2700X have a known reputation for running a bit hotter than usual? Mine idles at between 50-60, and it seems like the fan spins up whenever I do anything besides read the screen. Not sure if the cooler is fixed on improperly or I slopped up the thermal paste and need to re-apply.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

GunnerJ posted:

Does the Ryzen 2700X have a known reputation for running a bit hotter than usual? Mine idles at between 50-60, and it seems like the fan spins up whenever I do anything besides read the screen. Not sure if the cooler is fixed on improperly or I slopped up the thermal paste and need to re-apply.

50-60C seems awfully high for an idle temp, I'd suspect the heat sink isn't mounted correctly.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

GunnerJ posted:

i would also suggest remount the cooler and get some better paste.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

wargames posted:

i would also suggest remount the cooler and get some better paste.

A few pages back we just talked about several studies where it was discovered that paste mostly doesn't matter as long as you don't put too little even mayonnaise works acceptably for a week. Any problem is probably tension related. Make sure you have fully depressed the little lever if you are using stock. If it screws in instead then recheck all the screws.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Okay, asking the thread was my last ditch effort to avoid a task I find very nerve wracking but part of me knew I'd have to do it anyway. Thanks!

Is there a correct orientation to affix the cooler (it's a stock Wraith Prism cooler), by the way? Part of why I thought I needed to redo this is because I initially put it on one way, didn't realize that the fan had wires running from it to plug in, and then reversed it to make that easier, which I think resulted in a bad thermal paste application (it was the stock paste). Using the latch to remove the fan just always feels so janky like I'm definitely loving something up manhandling this delicate part...

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

tangy yet delightful posted:

What say you?

One thing I've said in the thread before is just make sure on the actual fan shroud that there is a small switch which you can set to either high or low

On high it's loud as poo poo but low tones it down a fair bit.

It's to the right of the fan header plugs and is a little finniky to use.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GunnerJ posted:

What's your cooler? I assume you're not using a stock sink since you applied your own thermal paste, in which case 50-60 is quite warm for idle. But then the question is, what does it do under load? If the temp shoots up under load then you likely messed up the paste or have the thing mounted unevenly. Otherwise, maybe you just have a weird fan or fan curve? There are a couple arctic heatsinks that come with fans that shut off below 25% PWM, which would tend to make for high idle temp and weird on/off noise.

If you are using the stock cooler, that's kinda why stock coolers suck. (But you didn't do something like apply thermal paste to a stock cooler that already has a pre-applied thermal pad, did you?)

One thing to check is the windows power profile for minimum processor power state. If it's set to 90% or higher try setting it to 50% or 5% and see if that makes a difference.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

If you are using the stock cooler, that's kinda why stock coolers suck. (But you didn't do something like apply thermal paste to a stock cooler that already has a pre-applied thermal pad, did you?)

One thing to check is the windows power profile for minimum processor power state. If it's set to 90% or higher try setting it to 50% or 5% and see if that makes a difference.

It's stock, going to see if reseating it with new (better) paste resolves things before buying a new part tho.

The min processor setting was 5% already so idk if that's it, but it was worth a try so thanks!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15344/amd-at-ces-2020-qa-with-dr-lisa-su

Group interview with Lisa Su. Ian Cuttress, Gordon Mah Ung, and (ugh) Dean Takahashi represented.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

It's stock, going to see if reseating it with new (better) paste resolves things before buying a new part tho.

The min processor setting was 5% already so idk if that's it, but it was worth a try so thanks!

As stock coolers go the prism’s surprisingly decent, still very possible you got a dud. Can’t hurt to check that the contact area’s decently flat.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wendell and Dr. Cutress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iA4aW1Y1WU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Intel’s 10-core Comet Lake-S CPUs could draw up to 300W

Now it is INTEL'S turn to make an FX-9590.