Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

It's at the base chapel, so I knew there'd be some extra hoops. I understand anything I'd do for Wednesday would be for his fellow airmen, mom, and girlfriend down there. I found about the service down there from a mutual college friend who's also on base. Been talking to her, but wanted some outside perspective. Don't want to be a burden, but want to support friends of my friend.

:edit:
gently caress, this is a lovely snipe. gimme a second.

Mike Ness is heartwarming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV8Y5wQklJw

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i might be meeting bernard tomorrow

i don't usually go to these things because i'm a small fish in a big pond but when i saw the request i was like 'boss boss let me go'

'you're not going to ask him for a selfie are you'

'what are you, the inquisition?'

'you can't get a selfie with him'

'i thought this was america'

'it's probably just his staff anyway'

'i'll carry your fancy hat'

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

you absolutely must get a selfie with him

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Bernard Sanders?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yes

it's just his MLAs though so i'm going to pass on it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any of you guys lift a lot? I've been lifting for years but usually only 3, maybe 4 days a week because I had to balance it with also doing Army PT.

But now I'm out of the Army and focusing exclusively on lifting and started a 6 days a week program, essentially Legs/Push/Pull each twice a week.

What I'm running into is when I wake up in the morning I feel wrecked and lethargic as hell and if lifting first thing in the morning also I feel weaker than normal. I feel fine if I lift around lunch or later.

Never ran into this issue where I feel so worn out when I wake up.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Are you getting enough sleep? When I did heavy lifting (a long time ago) if I got less than 8 hours a day I was a wreck.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mustang posted:

Any of you guys lift a lot? I've been lifting for years but usually only 3, maybe 4 days a week because I had to balance it with also doing Army PT.

But now I'm out of the Army and focusing exclusively on lifting and started a 6 days a week program, essentially Legs/Push/Pull each twice a week.

What I'm running into is when I wake up in the morning I feel wrecked and lethargic as hell and if lifting first thing in the morning also I feel weaker than normal. I feel fine if I lift around lunch or later.

Hows your eating? Are you getting enough protein?

Also six days a week is huge. Most of the lifters I know do 4, 5 tops.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mustang posted:

Getting old dude.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Back off a touch and see how you feel? 6 days a week feels like a ton.

I still lift, but it’s like 4 days a week at most (and rarely that). My job is scuba diving and hauling up marine debris, so I’ve got times where I’m physiologically banned from working out (exertion within 24hrs of a dive is correlated with decompression sickness) or I’ve been hauling heavy poo poo to/from our boats and I’m just a bit too beat to go to the gym after work.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Back off a touch and see how you feel? 6 days a week feels like a ton.

This. Some of my biggest gains/improvements came when I went to only 3, or 4, times a week (lifting).

You can probably do cardio every day though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Seriously do a group spin class or yoga on your off days, lets your muscles recover and the cardio and stretching helps you more over time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sounds like an acute case of "old" to me. It's a pretty common disease I believe. Symptoms also include feeling like total poo poo after a drinking night you used to be able to shrug off, and thinking about your lawn a lot.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I eat pretty good, generally around 180-190 grams of protein a day. The workouts themselves aren't super intense, usually no more than an hour and I actually enjoy them a lot and definitely feel like I'm consistently making gains.

It just takes me like an hour to not feel like I just got hit by a freight train in the mornings.

My sleep definitely sucks though, even though I'm in bed for at least 8 hours a night. Not sure why I have trouble staying asleep. It's not so much being wide awake in bed as it is being aware that I'm waking up a million times every night. I definitely dream a lot which is weird for how often I wake up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Get your rear end a sleep study. That poo poo's not something to casually dismiss. hosed up sleep fucks you up everywhere.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mustang posted:

each muscle group 2x a week is pretty serious if you have any other obligations whatsoever. If you're working right now you might wanna cut it down to 4 times a week with some cardio and stretching on other days.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
It's got less to do with how many days or total hours a week you're lifting, and more to do with what you did before versus what you're doing now in a retrospective sense. Used to 4x a week 1 hour a day? Cool. Used to 6x a week 1 hour a day? Also cool. Going from 4x a week to 6x a week? It's going to take time to get used to the increase in weekly training volume. Your body can positively adapt to some really insane poo poo so long as it's done in a carefully progressive manner, but increasing your weekly fatigue accumulation by half again what you're used to is going to be a little rough for a while.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Had my vasectomy consultation today

Doc: "Hey this procedure might be stressful fo' ya, do you want valium?"
Me: "i had a doctor inject Lucentis into my eyeballs and i didnt valium back then and i dont need valium now."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Any particular reason your avoiding Valium.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I had valium for my LASIK. It was p. rad.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I didn't take anything before my vasectomy and it was fine. Didn't feel any pain worse than a flu shot, and that was just the anesthetic injections.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Did my sack with a local didn't feel a thing. Also seeing what opiates have done to people scares the poo poo outta me.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I always take painkillers when offered, but I don't have an addictive personality.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Wasabi the J posted:

Any particular reason your avoiding Valium.

Smiling Jack posted:

Did my sack with a local didn't feel a thing. Also seeing what opiates have done to people scares the poo poo outta me.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Valium's a benzo, not an opiate.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Valium isn’t an opioid broheim. It’s a benzo, and it’s benign short of huge doses or mixing with lots of other downers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Valium's a benzo, not an opiate.

For the longest time until I googled it just now I thought they were one and the same.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I take anything they give me even if it's just to hoard away for later. You never know when you're gonna throw your back out, have crazy dental pain, kidney stones, broken bone, whatever.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Valium isn’t an opioid broheim. It’s a benzo, and it’s benign short of huge doses or mixing with lots of other downers.

:cripes: I actually knew that but forgot for some reason.

Either way, I had enough problems quitting smoking, I'll stay away from addictive type drugs if I can.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smiling Jack posted:

:cripes: I actually knew that but forgot for some reason.

Either way, I had enough problems quitting smoking, I'll stay away from addictive type drugs if I can.

I respect that. I take 4-6mg of Klonopin a day (prescribed) so it would take a heroic dose of Valium to calm me down.

I also avoid opioids. I like them waaaaay too much.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I respect that. I take 4-6mg of Klonopin a day (prescribed) so it would take a heroic dose of Valium to calm me down.

I also avoid opioids. I like them waaaaay too much.

Klonopin was really, really popular with a lot of the heroin addicts I encountered. Not sure why.

After you've heard the "well, it all started with a Vicodin prescription six years ago and now I'm a heroin addict" story a few dozen times at work you develop a healthy fear of pill-happy prescription doctors. It's great we have all these medications, and I trust my doctor, but when the dentist tried to give me a Percoset prescription after dental surgery I just embraced the suck and suffered for a few days.

For another, non-dental incident, post-surgery when I was in the hospital and I was watching the clock for the nurse to come around with happy pill because I was in pain? Yeah, I took that poo poo. Declined the take home prescription offer. I know my limits.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My dad had half of a lung removed over the summer. Doctors sent him home with 45 vicodin with an open prescription for as many refills as he needed. The albuterol breathing treatments needed two approvals before the initial treatment was filled.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

The Rat posted:

I didn't take anything before my vasectomy and it was fine. Didn't feel any pain worse than a flu shot, and that was just the anesthetic injections.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smiling Jack posted:

Klonopin was really, really popular with a lot of the heroin addicts I encountered. Not sure why.

Synergistic highs, plus klonopin lasts a lot longer than most other Benzo’s. Plus 1mg of Klonopin is the equivalent of 10mg of Valium. So there’s a dosing angle.

Addicts are strange creatures.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also it makes you dissociative and sometimes problems feel bad enough to not want to be in your own mind.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mustang posted:

6 days a week is a pretty heavy routine if you're doing even moderately heavy workouts. I always add one extra hour of sleep as a rule of thumb when I train, whether running or weights or the pool. If you're lifting first thing your blood sugar is also likely to be pretty low.

For what it's worth, don't disregard cardio in addition to the lifting. It's been my experience that the two can really not just coexist but also help each other - running gives me oxygen uptake that really aids during the long tail of squat sets and deadlifts, and the explosive strength I gain from the squats/DLs give me a longer stride and higher speed on the runs. Same with bench and swimming.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 8, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Swimming is the quiet way to get some serious workouts, in my mind. The water keeps you cool, the water gives a shitload of resistance, and it doesn't put up with any cheating. Different strokes can work almost whatever muscle group you want to target, with the benefit of getting some good cardio at the same time. I need to get back to it, but I was doing 4x half-mile sets with mask/fins/snorkel in the span of an hour before the weather cooled down here and I got hyper-busy :v:

The only drawback I see is because you don't get all hot/sweaty while swimming, you skip straight to the "I want to stuff all of the food straight into my mouth-hole" stage of post-workout fairly quick. My solution was to time it to where I'm getting out of the water and going straight home for dinner at a normal-ish time, but if you can't time it like that maybe a small snack or a normal coffee afterwards (caffeine has a slight effect of suppressing appetite) could do the trick too.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I just chug a small chocolate milk (like 3dl) and maybe a banana if I feel like it. Gets me past the CONSUME stage nicely. And you're only cool as you go, the moment you get out your're warm as a toaster :staredog:

Bonus points for swimming is that it really helps my mind settle. It's kinda yoga-like, with the reglemented breathing and the focus on technique. It's awesome, especially if I hit the sauna after.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’d love to get more into freediving, it’s even more zen than how you see swimming. Being 40ft down without any dive gear on is it’s own kind of peaceful (until your body gives you the “I WANT TO BREATHE, YOU DUMBFUCK” signal :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Rat posted:

:same:

Smiling Jack posted:

After you've heard the "well, it all started with a Vicodin prescription six years ago and now I'm a heroin addict" story a few dozen times at work you develop a healthy fear of pill-happy prescription doctors. It's great we have all these medications, and I trust my doctor, but when the dentist tried to give me a Percoset prescription after dental surgery I just embraced the suck and suffered for a few days.
Seriously. I had a procedure done for like the sixth time with my ENT, it was relatively painless and easy to deal with. The pain at most felt like a minor headache. Anyways at one point, he wrote me a script for percoset saying "hey you might need it for the pain, you never know!" and I threw that poo poo in the trash.

Hey McNally, was it you that said you wanted to go to Uni of Edinburgh for history (Civil War I think)? I'm mad, cause I was at the American Historical Conference last weekend and apparently met their professor who focuses on the Civil War and Slavery and didn't realize it till now.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 8, 2020