Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
D-Techno Life was the best Bleach OP song. The title scrolling across the screen as the beat hits still flashes through my mind when the show gets mentioned.

Second goes to Rolling Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Cut Ichigo. Make Rukia the main character. Show fixed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hey now, Ichigo is great for a good while at least.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The first Bleach OP was indeed good. It was also the only one I watched. I just kind of fell off before it could grievously offend me with its eventual stupidity.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Hey now, Ichigo is great for a good while at least.

Ichigo was good on the beginning when he was a grump and knew he was surrounded by weirdos. Then he became so incredibly boring.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Perhaps the same could be said for all Bleach characters.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I generally think waifus and all that poo poo is embarrassing crap, but if there actually was an anime heroine that I legit would just watch a show of, it'd be Rukia.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

I generally think waifus and all that poo poo is embarrassing crap

wtf are you doing here then

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Everyone post your bleach waifu right now

Mine is nel

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Stairmaster posted:

Everyone post your bleach waifu right now

Mine is nel

Orihime spinning a leek

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Harribel (who got done dirty after the Aizen fight)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Harribel (who got done dirty after the Aizen fight)

Did she ever get out of sternritter jail?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Did she ever get out of sternritter jail?

As I recall not in the actual manga, but apparently in some recent LNs or something she's like the hollow leader now, which is good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stairmaster posted:

so was the second one

and the third one

but not the fourth one

not emptyquoting

the soundtrack in general is the best thing about Bleach and gives me a huge rush of nostalgia for a series i would otherwise happily admit is poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bleach should have imitated One Piece harder (because there's no way the Karakuri Town Defense arc wasn't an attempt to capitalize on War of the Best) by making the insanely evil authoritarian regime that rules the universe explicitly be the villains, immediately, instead of waiting until long after virtually everyone had lost interest and waffling about it even then

like imagine if the follow-up to Soul Society had been a peasant rebellion in the afterlife as people realize the Shinigami aren't invincible, instead of endless lukewarm Aizen bullshit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bleach should have imitated One Piece harder (because there's no way the Karakuri Town Defense arc wasn't an attempt to capitalize on War of the Best) by making the insanely evil authoritarian regime that rules the universe explicitly be the villains, immediately, instead of waiting until long after virtually everyone had lost interest and waffling about it even then

like imagine if the follow-up to Soul Society had been a peasant rebellion in the afterlife as people realize the Shinigami aren't invincible, instead of endless lukewarm Aizen bullshit

Well I mean every arc basically flat out says soul society is poo poo and rarely gets off its rear end, fucks everything up constantly and makes things worse for everyone when it does act, and most of the captains generally catch onto that over time (but still basically don't do anything about), but yeah it sucks a bit that the only real threat to their rule was a bunch of even bigger assholes.

But then maybe that was the point. Not to say that it was well developed at all, but I don't think on the whole Bleach was in favor of soul society as an organization.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 7, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still think it is funny as hell that kubo decided to do a 300 chapter mega arc that took place over the course of 2 days when there was already an anime going. it was so unbelievably hostile to the inevitable filler arcs. and even when it ended, ichigo was depowered so there couldn't be filler arcs set during that period, either. so, just about every filler arc and movie had to take place in a strange out of continuity setting.

but then, it's not like endlessly running shounen anime filler was ever going to be good, so w/e.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

Well I mean every arc basically flat out says soul society is poo poo and rarely gets off its rear end, fucks everything up constantly and makes things worse for everyone when it does act, and most of the captains generally catch onto that over time, but yeah it sucks a bit that the only real threat to their rule was a bunch of even bigger assholes.

But then maybe that was the point. Not to say that it was well developed at all, but I don't think on the whole Bleach was in favor of soul society as an organization.

the lack of a meaningful alternative is pretty much what i'm complaining about, yeah. it's critical of them, sure, but also it spends hundreds and hundreds of chapters treating the genocidal monarchists who ensure that even the GOOD afterlife is a hell of eternal poverty and starvation as the lesser evil and necessary to the order of the universe

in some ways that's an even more cynical and conservative message than if they were still authoritarian but less obviously terrible

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Rukia was once supposed to be the main character at one time, but I imagine an editor told him it needed to be a shouty boy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

so was the second one

and the third one

but not the fourth one

wrong

TONIIIIIGHT, LOVE IS RATION
TONIIIIIGHT, ACROSS DA NATION
TONIIIIIGHT, LOVE EXPRESS WORLD-WIDE, YEAH, YEAH

(always another day)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah gently caress you, tonight tonight tonight owned

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think Kubo wanted to immediately bring back all the soul society chars but the editors didn't immediately dig the Ichigo and vaizards stuff

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Fabricated posted:

Yeah gently caress you, tonight tonight tonight owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jSEHmSFMY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The third ED which gave backstory info on the various squads is pretty brilliant.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MonsieurChoc posted:

The third ED which gave backstory info on the various squads is pretty brilliant.

That ED owned and I miss it like hell.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

all that great music wasted on an absolute turd of a series

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HerraS posted:

all that great music wasted on an absolute turd of a series
Pierrot for some reason can absolutely nail OPs and EDs but nothing else.

See also: Black Clover

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That first OP is a real blast from the past, I remember my college's anime club watched that freshman year.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I went through Crunchyroll's playlist of all the OPs and EDs and It's weird how many I remember despite dropping the anime after Soul Society.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Bleach's music was so much better than anything after Soul Society deserved.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mayuri is a horrible monster who never faced any consequences for any of his many, many crimes. the convert former enemies into allies bit really did not work for him, because even when he had other villains to fight he was always by far the worst of the two. even the nastiest of them was just mayuri-lite.

bleach was a very strange manga, but the anime sure did have some good ops.

Mayuri was much better as a villain.

Bleach's biggest mistake was turning the entire remaining ensemble of Captains after Aizen's betrayal into Good Guys, then lining up super mooks for them to knock down.

I think at one point we spent 2-3 years of manga of people just standing around taking turns fighting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thoren posted:

I think at one point we spent 2-3 years of manga of people just standing around taking turns fighting.

How long was it between when the Ichigang started fighting the Espada and the end of the Deicide stuff? Because aside from the Turn Back The Pendulum thing and maybe some other aside I've forgotten about, I feel like that entire stretch was basically nothing other than an absurd procession of boss fights, miniboss fights, and superboss fights. I wasn't exactly the most discerning viewer at the time, but even then I could tell that things had gotten silly, even when I was enjoying the fights themselves.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kenpachi showed up in hueco Mundo like late 2007 early 2008 and aizen was defeated in 2011ish

It was not okay

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the worst part is that the fights don't even really express the characters' personalities very well, they're just these incredibly rote, mechanical resolutions that are only there because they have to be

like remember when Chad and Inoue actually acted like people instead of broken records going "KUROSAKI-KUN" and "i need to catch up with the others"

e: I remember watching that arc years ago, and sitting up and being excited that Rukia was going to get some backstory fleshed out in the fight vs. the doppelganger hollow dude. and then it's literally just "oh yeah she was a passive second fiddle to a guy who looked exactly like Ichigo in the past, too. then he died." lmao

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 11, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i was emotionally invested in this series on the basis of, like, 20% the strength of the first two arcs and 80% the friends I watched it with as a freshman in undergrad and i'm still mad about it

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

RevolverDivider posted:

First Bleach OP was easily the best and Bleach was by far the best of the big three until the end of Soul Society.
:hmmyes:

This is basically everything anyone ever needs to know about Bleach.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WAKE UP IT'S DAWN I'M YAWNING
I'M STILL ALIVE
TURN ON THE RADIO
TO START UP NEW DAY

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I remember when Dattebayo basically just guessed at the lyrics for that one every week for the fansubs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"KUROSAKI-KUN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm still salty you could have somebody as cool as Yoruichi and then do like nothing with her for... how long was it between the fight with Soifon and her bouncing off of Aizen? A while.