Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love the Andore family's outfit decision(s) in Final Fight

I have often wished I could wear the exact same clothes as my dad but in another garish color

"dear son:

here is a bright purple version of the sweatshirt I wear with the drawings of labrador retrievers on it. I know you have pants to match. please wear it tonight as it's our turn to try and beat up the mayor.

love,
dad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I just realised that the train in sunless skies has a horn :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

small ghost posted:

I just realised that the train in sunless skies has a horn :allears:

Note the second entry on this page.

"A distinct lack of honk"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Note the second entry on this page.

"A distinct lack of honk"

I am indebted to the brave fans who stood up for what's right, as I honk continuously through the darkness.

Also I enjoyed:

Patch notes for the Horn Update posted:

- The Empyrean Outrider’s projectiles no longer shed hair.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

one of hades' boss fights takes place in an arena, and all the shades in the crowd are cheering for your enemies. except one :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

one of hades' boss fights takes place in an arena, and all the shades in the crowd are cheering for your enemies. except one :3:

dawwww

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
getting my rear end kicked by a cammy in street fighter 2 and the cammy ragequits when i remembered how to beat her

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've decided to give Bound By Flame on the PS4 another go and I think I've figured out where I went wrong the first time I tried to play the game, as I got stuck in the swamp. I have realised that traps are REALLY useful as they do enormous damage compared to regular attacks.

Also it has neat aspects that I like. It has a similar feat system to Mad Max, with perks partially unlocking by doing the thing they make better and then adding a Feat point to them which you get by levelling up (so kill 15 enemies with a sword+spend a point and do extra damage with the sword), and the weapon upgrade system is neat, as each item you can upgrade has slots representing parts of the weapon and you add modifiers to that part, like you can add a pommel that increases the weight of a sword (although not actually doing that part in game, it's just how the game justifies the damage boost) to do extra damage, or one that gives you greater control over it so you can interrupt enemies more effectively

Also the skills you unlock are percentage based, so things like +10%/20% sword damage which means that stronger swords will grow increasingly impressive. The skill isn't that useful for a weapon with 13 strength, but by endgame it will likely be taking it from 100 strength to 120, which is no mean feat. That then stacking with the feat that increases sword damage and you are sitting pretty.

I'm expecting either the traps to be so good character progression fails to be useful, or traps to get less useful as character power overtakes it, but at the early parts of the game the sword damage is mostly pitiful unless you get a sneak attack.

Also it has a cool thing with skill trees/classes. There are three, stealthy speedy ranger, pyromancer, or fighter. But you don't select a class and get stuck with it. You can freely switch between them on the fly, like pressing R1 during the start before unlocking Pyromancer switches between daggers and sword.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jan 7, 2020

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

All I remember of Bound By Flame was having a character who basically backstabbed everything incredibly easily

then the second area putting me in a fight with a guy with a shield on his front and back

and I had no shield break move because I just backstabbed all the guys with shields and I basically softlocked myself out of being able to continue.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I adore the localization/translation for the Dragon Quest series, most recently in Builders 2. Sure, sometimes it's outdated American slang but it's charming and much less awkward than in most JRPGs

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Even back in the NES days, the Dragon Quest games had notably good localizations. The early modern English style didn't suit the series, but it had character, and compared to the incoherence of the original Final Fantasy, or the baffling retranslated to English from Japanese Ultima ports, Dragon Warrior 1-4 were downright excellent.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DQ11 translation is incredible. Rab is the best Scottish character I've seen in anything not made here - not only is he voiced by an actual Glaswegian but he uses phrases, slang terms and idioms that I only really hear from my *dad's* generation - which fits the character perfectly. He called me a wee nyaff at one point!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

DQ11 translation is incredible. Rab is the best Scottish character I've seen in anything not made here - not only is he voiced by an actual Glaswegian but he uses phrases, slang terms and idioms that I only really hear from my *dad's* generation - which fits the character perfectly. He called me a wee nyaff at one point!

Xenoblade 2 has a whole Titan full of Scottish people.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love the Andore family's outfit decision(s) in Final Fight

I have often wished I could wear the exact same clothes as my dad but in another garish color

"dear son:

here is a bright purple version of the sweatshirt I wear with the drawings of labrador retrievers on it. I know you have pants to match. please wear it tonight as it's our turn to try and beat up the mayor.

love,
dad"

Steppin out with me and my fine sons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Seedge posted:

All I remember of Bound By Flame was having a character who basically backstabbed everything incredibly easily

then the second area putting me in a fight with a guy with a shield on his front and back

and I had no shield break move because I just backstabbed all the guys with shields and I basically softlocked myself out of being able to continue.

Yes you did. Switch to sword with R1 and press circle to kick. You start with a shield break move.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I gotta say, a guy wearing a shield on the front and back in a medieval/fantasy setting is a loving genius.

In actual games that I'm playing, blowing poo poo up in Brigador is so loving nice. I don't even get mad when I'm not paying attention and run into a chain of gas stations, the huge mess that gets left behind is still satisfying.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been on a gundam kick lately and started replaying MS Saga: A New Dawn on the PS2 and oh man I've forgotten some of the poo poo you can do in this game. It's not an especially deep or complex JRPG, but it lets you customize the mobile suits your characters use, and in the third town you can buy a part that's just a big ol' scythe arm. The downside to using it is that you can't use any kind of handheld weapon, but it adds so much melee attack power that it dramatically outclasses any other melee weapon in the game at that point. So much so, in fact, that if you stack melee equipment on your only melee focused party member at that point, you can effectively farm mid-game enemies your other party members can't even hurt, which can net you some very strong equipment that breaks the game in half for a while.

It's nothing dramatically insane, but I do enjoy it when a game lets me abuse its system for fun and profit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

poo poo now I’ll need to go dig up the LP for it again. IIRC the thread voted to name their Heavyarms using unit upper left or such cause of the stock footage :allears:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

BioEnchanted posted:

Yes you did. Switch to sword with R1 and press circle to kick. You start with a shield break move.

Ha, I never knew that at the time!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Seedge posted:

Ha, I never knew that at the time!

Each stance has different controls for some buttons. The sword is all about running into the fray so you get an interruption move to stun them by pressing circle, the kick. Then in the daggers stance, the tactic changes to evasion, so it makes you jump backwards instead. The third tree just gives you spells that both the other stances can use, it's not a third stance.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've just realised something in Bound by Flame that I need to make better use of - one of the Pyromancer spells is an area of effect that is pretty similar to the explosive trap, so may be useful in the swamp where you often get surrounded by enemies. I'll try to make use of that and upgrade it well.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bound by Flame is my favorite Spiders game for the characters alone. The game hooked me after beating the first boss, having the PC's mercenary team brush it off to focus on the mission, only for the PC to interject with, "Did you see that big loving monster I just killed?!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I played the game a bit but got distracted by lots of other games, thanks for reminding me about it. Game's installed, I'll check it out again soon probably.

For my own contribution - Ace Combat 7 lets you install mods as easily as putting a mods folder at the right place in the game directory, so now when I fly the F-15C I can use Starscream's colors and in the campaign my wingmen will use Skywarp and Thundercracker skins.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think I'm going to restart Bound By Flame but this time play on easy. Apparently Normal is hard for many people, it's not just me having trouble with the game, and I keep dying super quick which is frustrating. Some good things though come from the setting, I want to see the bosses because I like what the characters are teasing about playing the Ice Lords against one another, that sounds cool and fun. So I'll drop the difficulty.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I picked up Fallen Order and I really like having the context button be mapped to the right stick like this. It's nice to be able to open a chest without jumping a few times first or taking cover behind it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Retro Futurist posted:

I picked up Fallen Order and I really like having the context button be mapped to the right stick like this. It's nice to be able to open a chest without jumping a few times first or taking cover behind it

Also, letting you remap any and all controls even on console is such a nice feature, I'm now angry at every game that forces you to play it their way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Now I've bumped the difficulty down to easy for Bound by Flame and it's made a huge difference, it's still something you need to pay attention to, but less bullshit. I'm actually having fun with the game now.

There are a lot of setting things that are kind of cute that I wanted to talk about. The main villains, the Ice Lords, aren't as much of a sausage fest as most of the collectives of bosses tend to be, as of the 7 remaining, 3 of them are women, which is great. Also the game is playing up the idea of turning them against each other, which sounds like fun.

Also it has cute bits of worldbuilding, like an Elf gets annoyed when you ask him if he has any of the special elven bread lying around, and his reaction is "I'm a blacksmith idiot, not a baker! Also that bread tastes like garbage, you'd be better eating sand, it'd stay down easier and be more pleasurable..."

It has a cute moral choice aspect too, because the reason normal mode is so next-to-impossible if you aren't an expert is to make the evil choices tempting - at certain points, the demon will offer you a power boost that is cumulative and lasts the whole game, but also feeds your soul to him, so it's design is trying to make it feel like it could be necessary to give some of your soul away, because "it's only a little bit to even the odds, what could be the harm..." then 3 bosses later you've grown horns. If you refuse the demon, you lose that power boost and have to rely on your traps and equipment and personal skill. The demon is generally a fun and funny character too. He reminds me of Gig from Soul Nomad in his attitude.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

DooM 2016 mapped Interact to the same button as Punch and it makes perfect sense.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Sorry I was away for the holidays. Is the dude still pissing?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

For my own contribution - Ace Combat 7 lets you install mods as easily as putting a mods folder at the right place in the game directory, so now when I fly the F-15C I can use Starscream's colors and in the campaign my wingmen will use Skywarp and Thundercracker skins.

Link please

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crowetron posted:

DooM 2016 mapped Interact to the same button as Punch and it makes perfect sense.

Yes, if a dev has done their jobs thoroughly they'll have worked out the objective best config for the game they've made and set that up from the start, or at least the best ~3 configs if they really can't choose one. They will also have approached their game design with the intended control device(s) in mind from the start, so they can set up synergies and intentional tradeoffs and little resonant touches like that. Fully remappable controls are kind of a crutch and usually mean they haven't put much thought into this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I agree with the first half of your post, but controls should always be remappable. There's always going to be scenarios that the devs can't realistically account for that mean players will want oddball mappings. Or do you expect that the devs should have a mapping that's ideal for gamers whose left index finger got amputated at the first knuckle? Gamers who play with one hand and their mouth? Gamers who play with their feet?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Link please

Starscream
Skywarp
Thundercracker

For some reason the Starscream ones are only for the campaign mode, I had to make a copy and repack it to replace the basic Osea skin (the other two already come with an Osea skin replacement option)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I agree with the first half of your post, but controls should always be remappable. There's always going to be scenarios that the devs can't realistically account for that mean players will want oddball mappings. Or do you expect that the devs should have a mapping that's ideal for gamers whose left index finger got amputated at the first knuckle? Gamers who play with one hand and their mouth? Gamers who play with their feet?

Oh absolutely, I didn't mean to downplay accessibility, especially if it involves alternate input hardware, in which case all bets are off and user configurability becomes paramount.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

Yes, if a dev has done their jobs thoroughly they'll have worked out the objective best config for the game they've made and set that up from the start, or at least the best ~3 configs if they really can't choose one. They will also have approached their game design with the intended control device(s) in mind from the start, so they can set up synergies and intentional tradeoffs and little resonant touches like that. Fully remappable controls are kind of a crutch and usually mean they haven't put much thought into this.

Disagree. Maybe some types of games benefit from that, but for most of your standard action/adventure-adjacent ones, they're just variations on a few basic designs that nobody can agree on to completely standardize.

Like for Fallen Order, it uses the square button (PS4) for your basic attack, and a mix of face and shoulder buttons for your powers. Two issues, I'm more tuned to having shoulder buttons as my main attacks, and the most useful moves (like blocking) are often on the trickier-to-reach-quickly buttons. Maybe the devs liked that layout, but I don't. Remapping how I liked made everything waaay more intuitive and fun to use.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Starscream
Skywarp
Thundercracker

For some reason the Starscream ones are only for the campaign mode, I had to make a copy and repack it to replace the basic Osea skin (the other two already come with an Osea skin replacement option)

Thanks, time to be a huge dweeb. Well, huge-er dweeb.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

Disagree. Maybe some types of games benefit from that, but for most of your standard action/adventure-adjacent ones, they're just variations on a few basic designs that nobody can agree on to completely standardize.

Like for Fallen Order, it uses the square button (PS4) for your basic attack, and a mix of face and shoulder buttons for your powers. Two issues, I'm more tuned to having shoulder buttons as my main attacks, and the most useful moves (like blocking) are often on the trickier-to-reach-quickly buttons. Maybe the devs liked that layout, but I don't. Remapping how I liked made everything waaay more intuitive and fun to use.

You're setting your buttons up like dark souls, and dark souls doesn't have remappable buttons, but it's also a perfect game.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Are there any games which have your character going through a sewer level with a torch, and the torch reacting to gas pockets?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Darthemed posted:

Are there any games which have your character going through a sewer level with a torch, and the torch reacting to gas pockets?

I think Witcher 3 has this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

You're setting your buttons up like dark souls, and dark souls doesn't have remappable buttons, but it's also a perfect game.

I distinctly remember remapping the jump button to something less insane than the default on the 360 so I'm not sure this is true.