Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So, another question. This is the radio I got, a Kenwood dnx576s

It won't fit all the way through the opening in the Metra dash kit. If you look at the picture there's a plastic strip running around the outside of the radio. This ends up sitting flush with the backside of the dash kit opening, but the strip is narrower on the top and bottom so there ends up being a gap. Most installs I've ever done the radio sticks out at least flush with the front of the dash kit trim.

There's a trim ring that goes on the front of the radio, if I attach it and push it up against the back of the dash opening, it pushes it back even further below flush.

Not even sure if I'm explaining myself well enough, but I hope someone can give me a direction on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm not entirely clear, but I feel like this is the solution anyway.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Uthor posted:

I'm not entirely clear, but I feel like this is the solution anyway.

Yea I was afraid of that.

How common is it to have to modify dash kits like this? I know they have to be universal and stereos come in different shapes and sizes, but I'm having trouble even seeing how this could even really be close. I think I'll have to open the window in the dash kit enough to I can push the radio through with the removable trim piece attached, I'd like it to be flush with the front. I'm probably gonna be taking like 1/4" per side off the window.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 29, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
What is the current good but also not super expensive panel treatment stuff like dynamat? and where to get it?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

What is the current good but also not super expensive panel treatment stuff like dynamat? and where to get it?

I would check this company out https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I ordered from Second Skin around Black Friday. They have B-grades as well for cheap every once in a while.

I haven’t used it yet (drat winter), but all the reviews I read were pretty good and made in the US if that matters to you.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2015 Subaru Forester and I am thinking about getting this head unit. https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-VX702...78425337&sr=8-2

Was curious what people thought, if there is a better option. I really like the navigation as I drive alot for work, I would love to be able to access Spotify while driving and my podcasts software but I can always run it from my phone.

Also the Android Play and CarPlay or Android Auto all confuse me. Just think of me as a baby when it comes to car audio. If it helps, I rented a car for vacation in Florida and it was a 2019 Jeep Cherokee and I could do everything from that head unit so something similar?

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 7, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you have an iPhone, you want CarPlay. If you have an Android, you want Android Auto.

Strong recommendation: Don't buy a headunit for it's navigation (it's ok if it has it, but it shouldn't be a big decider). Your phone will always be better and more up to date running (something like) Waze than the stored data on the headunit.

CarPlay/Android Auto will let you use Waze, Spotify, your podcast app, whatever - from your headunit.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

If you have an iPhone, you want CarPlay. If you have an Android, you want Android Auto.

Strong recommendation: Don't buy a headunit for it's navigation (it's ok if it has it, but it shouldn't be a big decider). Your phone will always be better and more up to date running (something like) Waze than the stored data on the headunit.

CarPlay/Android Auto will let you use Waze, Spotify, your podcast app, whatever - from your headunit.

Perfect thank you, I ran this by a buddy and he said the same thing.

Is Pioneer a good brand? They have several units I was looking at for Android Auto.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-DMH-1500NEX-7-Digital-Media-Receiver-w-Free-Backup-Camera/473988153

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7...p?skuId=6283609

https://www.amazon.com/AVH-2300NEX-Multimedia-Receiver-Bluetooth-SiriusXM-Ready/dp/B073BKPWNC/

If I do end up getting one of these, do I need to get parts to make the steering wheel controls work? Also the backup camera?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Stick to Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, and Alpine headunits. Maybe Clarion, but I haven't heard much about them for years.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm a huge fan of Pioneer, yes, they're good. I'd agree more broadly with Uncle Lizard - those are all good brands (including Clarion) and the savings to buy any of the others aren't really worth it.

You will need an adapter to get the steering controls working. If you browse over to crutchfield.com, they'll give you part numbers for what you need, specific to your vehicle.

If you already have a backup camera on the car, I'm not 100% sure what adapting that looks like. If you don't, the aftermarket ones *generally* (but not always) come with pretty standard wiring, that should work with most head units. Certainly if they sell together (like that pioneer/walmart link) I'd expect the harness to already be there.

edit: It looks like iDatalink (the company that makes the adapters for steering wheel controls) also adapts factory backup cameras, so decent likelihood they'll have something for that as well.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 7, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Uncle Lizard posted:

Stick to Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony, and Alpine headunits. Maybe Clarion, but I haven't heard much about them for years.

Clarion has been pretty much OEM and marine stuff only for a long time now. They got acquired by Faurecia in 2018, no telling what's happened since.

Most of the Sony stuff you'll find in the wild is at Walmart in the sub-$100 category; they still make some good stuff for a higher price, but it's pretty much only found online.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 8, 2020

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

STR posted:

Clarion has been pretty much OEM and marine stuff only for a long time now. They got acquired by Faurecia in 2018, no telling what's happened since.

Most of the Sony stuff you'll find in the wild is at Walmart in the sub-$100 category; they still make some good stuff for a higher price, but it's pretty much only found online.

Yeah, don't shop for anything at Walmart, especially stereo equipment. I should have added get a headunit from one of those brands with the features you're looking for.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've recently inherited a 2017 Toyota RAV4 XLE, which will be replacing my beat-to-poo poo '09 Sentra. It's got the factory navigation/media unit in it, and it doesn't support Android Auto. Also, the navigation is way out of date by now and gently caress paying for map updates.

I'd like to replace it with something that does support Android Auto, but I also want to keep the back up camera working and would like to keep the steering wheel controls working as well. XM radio would be nice but not mandatory, since I almost always use Spotify off of my phone anyways. No intention of replacing any speakers or anything, and I don't particularly care about the sound quality as long as it's not worse than the factory unit.

I've got no experience at all with car audio or car stuff in general, and neither do any of my friends, so no real chance of doing some variant on a labor-for-beer trade. What would be required for this? Is this the kind of thing that's feasible to do myself, or should I look into getting a shop to do it? Also, is there a ballpark figure for this kind of thing?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Check on crutchfield to see what installs, then go hit Google for good reviews to find an installer.

You'll needed a head unit with video, and an adapter for steering wheel controls. crutchfield will walk you through all the parts/general parts cost, then you can either but it all from the shop, or find a shop that just do the install of your parts. (They likely will not warranty anything but the work though.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

While a shitload of aftermarket head units do support XM, they very likely won't support the factory XM antenna on your car (if it has one). You'll also have to purchase an XM receiver.

A streaming-only plan is cheaper ($8/mo + taxes right now, but you can always threaten to cancel, and they'll throw you a $30 for 6 months w/taxes included offer right out of the gate.. and tell you what day to call back to renew that rate). Their Android app is pretty meh, but it does both live and on-demand. If you have unlimited data (or you're on an older T-Mobile plan - Music Freedom doesn't count SiriusXM toward your data use), it's worth going that route, IMO. And it's every channel, not just music.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Khizan posted:

I've recently inherited a 2017 Toyota RAV4 XLE, which will be replacing my beat-to-poo poo '09 Sentra. It's got the factory navigation/media unit in it, and it doesn't support Android Auto. Also, the navigation is way out of date by now and gently caress paying for map updates.

I'd like to replace it with something that does support Android Auto, but I also want to keep the back up camera working and would like to keep the steering wheel controls working as well. XM radio would be nice but not mandatory, since I almost always use Spotify off of my phone anyways. No intention of replacing any speakers or anything, and I don't particularly care about the sound quality as long as it's not worse than the factory unit.

I've got no experience at all with car audio or car stuff in general, and neither do any of my friends, so no real chance of doing some variant on a labor-for-beer trade. What would be required for this? Is this the kind of thing that's feasible to do myself, or should I look into getting a shop to do it? Also, is there a ballpark figure for this kind of thing?

I hate to ever utter "Best Buy" but free install, and they'll be local for follow up if needed. I just replaced my Jeep Wrangler head and it was simple and cheap. Just a low end Alpine unit, but it would support a backup camera, and I think it has satellite, too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This is a little off the wall and maybe this isn't the right place for this, but I was hoping somebody might be able to help me. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time, and I'm assembling a functional replica of their proton packs. If you've never seen the movies, here's what I am talking about....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcYJmZKHaGU&t=40s
I've got the shell assembled and the lights all wired up, but now I need sound, and I am a total noob at this. The lights and sound kit I bought didn't come with a speaker, and the vendor isn't clear enough for my dumb-rear end under his recommendations. Does this speaker meet the specs he describes? At this point I think it's probably best for me to start with one speaker, less for me to gently caress up. If it's not loud enough I can add another later.

Once I find the right speaker I don't really know how to wire it. Here's a picture of the circuit board.

Do I just screw down the right type of wires in the slots labeled 'speaker' and then do the same thing on the speaker itself? If It's that simple I think I can handle it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yes, that speaker matches up, and yes, you would just run some speaker wire from the speaker itself (either soldered to the speaker terminals or connected using spade connectors) to those terminals on the board. Those are screw terminals where once you loosen the screw at the top, there should be a small opening on the side you photographed where you can insert the wire, and then tighten the screw to hold it in place.

If you use two speakers, make sure you match up polarity all around.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Sweet, thanks.
I knew you audio goons would give me good feedback. :dadjoke:

I'll show myself out.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 22, 2020

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

deoju posted:

Sweet, thanks.
I knew you audio goons would give me good feedback. :dadjoke:

I'll show myself out.

Feel free to post a picture of the finished product when you're done... Or link to the project thread if you're doing one.

And remember the polarity. Never cross the streams.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Do any of the Android auto head units have capacitive touch? Anything with real buttons?

What about digital outputs?

e: Kenwood has capacitive touch

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 13, 2020

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

Do any of the Android auto head units have capacitive touch? Anything with real buttons?

You can filler on Crutchfield to show all the Android Auto headunits with capacitive touchscreen.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

taqueso posted:

Sony XAV-AX5000 7" Apple Car Play, Android Auto, Media Receiver with Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CB3CB1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_T8DrEbH43JMVM

Most brands have one now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What about a digital output? I'd like to do DSP and digital crossovers but I'd prefer to stay in the digital domain.

e: I suppose HDMI out might be a thing

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 14, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I recently got my first new car (a 2020 Honda Accord, after previously driving a 2002 Camry), and I might want to upgrade the audio at some point. I looked this up online, and it seems like it'll probably be too complex for me to do as a DIY thing. Apparently a lot of newer cars are problematic because you can't always (or easily) change the head units? If I upgraded, I would probably need a separate amp (I believe the head unit acts as the 180 watt amp for my trim). It's also not clear to me if it's possible to do something like add a center speaker (the space for it appears to be there behind the head unit, even though my trim doesn't include it - my trim has 8 speakers and is missing the center speaker and subwoofer on the top two trims). There's plenty of trunk space so that isn't an issue.

Is this the sort of thing a car stereo shop place could do an install for? I know this sort of thing wasn't a problem in the past (as a teenager I had the head unit and stereos replaced/upgraded on my 1996 Nissan Altima), but it seems to vary pretty heavily depending upon make/model now.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Your instincts are correct. Audio isn't really a straightforward DIY anymore. Infotainment ruined DIN swaps and generally require significantly more work arounds to get running. I personally have two cars with regular DIN units, but in a scenario like yours I'd probably completely isolate the stereo from the rest of the infotainment run a separate amp and Jerry rig a bluetooth receiver into a 5 channel amplifier, and just use my phone for controls and interfacing. But I realize it's easier to just pay for the Harmon Kardon/Bose/Kicker upgrade from the factory. Which is exactly what manufacturers want.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In a lot of cases too there's some serious diminishing returns when trying to upgrade car audio in current vehicles; as long as you've got okay integration with your mobile device I'd focus on upgrading the speakers/amplifier and just not touch the head unit at all.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This may be a controversial opinion, but I'd add that it's getting to the point where factory audio is good enough sounding that if you care enough about sound to bother ripping out built in infotainment kit, you should probably make the factory ICE a higher priority when choosing the vehicle.

Older vehicles where it's as simple as getting a fascia and harness kit, different story.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Someone asked me about putting a new headunit in a 2015 Subaru Forester, with the Harmon Kardon w/nav.

He said it has a built-in amp? Would replacing the headunit use the factory amp or bypass it?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVW4500/Pioneer-AVH-W4500NEX.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3VXIVTXLmk9/p_113DDX9906/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9906XR.html

Otherwise was comparing these two, they look very similar although the Kenwood is 22W RMS vs the 14 of the Pioneer, which is why I am asking about the factory amp.
Will cross post to Subaru thread too.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Charles posted:

Someone asked me about putting a new headunit in a 2015 Subaru Forester, with the Harmon Kardon w/nav.

He said it has a built-in amp? Would replacing the headunit use the factory amp or bypass it?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVW4500/Pioneer-AVH-W4500NEX.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3VXIVTXLmk9/p_113DDX9906/Kenwood-Excelon-DDX9906XR.html

Otherwise was comparing these two, they look very similar although the Kenwood is 22W RMS vs the 14 of the Pioneer, which is why I am asking about the factory amp.
Will cross post to Subaru thread too.

There is probably a module that they would have to purchase that would use the factory amp. If you punch all the information for the car into Crutchfield they should tell you what you need if you are keeping the factory amp and what you need to do if you aren't. Usually if you aren't changing out all the speakers and adding aftermarket amps it's better to keep the factory amp.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Crossposting this from the DIY audio questions thread, since this will be going in a car. But I don't imagine most people have a use for a USB amplifier in their car.

---
I'm working on a car audio system that is going to use a PC for DSP and active crossover. I want 3-way in the front, single woofers in the rear, plus a sub. So 8 channels + a bridged channel. I'm thinking of making my own 10 channel digital amplifier using USB to connect to the PC. Five TAS3251 plus a STM32F446 microcontroller to handle USB and creating I2S streams. Should be able to control the TAS3251 DSP functions through USB. The TAS3251 is good for about 150W per channel at 4ohms.

Is there anything on the market that I should look at? I couldn't find anything that would let me stay digital all the way to the amp and even going analog it is pretty expensive.

Roughly speaking, the BOM for this should be < $300. It will require an external supply to provide the 12-36V amplifier power. I'll probably end up with a handful of extra PCBs, is a 10 channel USB amp something anyone else would be interested in?

http://www.ti.com/product/TAS3251

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Anyone have opinions on the best interconnect for the amplifier outputs? I like the PLH5 but I have a feeling audiophiles hate it for some reason they can't explain.

These options would work without an enclosure:

Big lug wire terminals like this from lugsdirect

Industrial style lever-actuated spring cage like this Phoenix Contact PLH5

perhaps PCB mount binding posts but I haven't seen any in right angle

These options would require a panel to mount the jacks to:

SpeakON loudspeaker specific connectors (surprisingly inexpensive) and I'd build a connector for each pair of wires

or Binding Posts, but what are good ones?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Is there any camera interface unit that will allow for 4 cameras to be connected to a head unit? I’d like to do a front, rear, and side view camera setup but so far all I’ve found is the Alpine KCX-C250MC which will allow up to 3 cameras.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need a head unit to combine what you want to see, get a video splitter that security systems use to put an array of cameras on a single screen. The splitter usually let's you cycle though camera views as well as put them all on screen. Just find one that runs a voltage you can adapt to.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was looking to upgrade the head unit to one that supported CarPlay that’s why I was wondering about the camera modules.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I think I understand you correctly. I was just trying to convey that a video splitter means you can look for head units with just one video port, if you want. Splitters come in A/V, coax, and HDMI flavor. So they should cover most anything you pick, theoretically. But definitely do the research. I'm just pointing you in a direction and haven't done this myself.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Are there quality options for a 360 camera system that could be used instead of 4 individual cameras?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

taqueso posted:

Are there quality options for a 360 camera system that could be used instead of 4 individual cameras?

How would you mount it so that it wasn't just an interior panoramic??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh the roof rack? TBH I don't know, but I do know I've seen aftermarket 360 cams for sale on ebay like this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-360-Degree-Seamless-Panoramic-Parking-Monitoring-System-4-Waterproof-Camera/113674113278