Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Getting home-run'd by moblins with 3 or 4 hearts over and over again in early game almost turned me off the game entirely

Should have taught you not to fight goddamn moblins until you were ready

I walked straight into that goomba like twenty times and quit. 1-1 is bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

canyoneer posted:

Getting home-run'd by moblins with 3 or 4 hearts over and over again in early game almost turned me off the game entirely

It’s the opposite for me, the constant slapstick deaths were part of what got me hooked

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Counterpoint: killing moblins above your level by getting safely inside the reach of their giant clubs is useful and productive :madmax:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Moblins are my favorite enemies to fight. Trying to fight them early on, you learn to pull out all the stops. They’re a real threat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

Urbosa would be #2 if her questline didn't curse me with eternal random ninjas.

I think you mean eternal random free long-range bows.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I decided to finally pull out the Amiibo I had lying around to get some stuff and wondered if I was doing something wrong when I got ten fire arrows from the Toon Link one when I saw it was supposed to give you the Wind Waker armor. So I googled and nope, you have to loving savescum for the armor pieces. God what a dumbass decision.

Sadly the armor I want the most is from an Amiibo I don't have (the pixel Zelda one that gives the 8/16 bit Link outfit).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh I forgot to check out the amiibo stuff, I can get.....a hero's shield :sigh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You don't have to save scum lmao you just have to use the amiibo more than once in a hundred hour game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to finally pull out the Amiibo I had lying around to get some stuff and wondered if I was doing something wrong when I got ten fire arrows from the Toon Link one when I saw it was supposed to give you the Wind Waker armor. So I googled and nope, you have to loving savescum for the armor pieces. God what a dumbass decision.

Sadly the armor I want the most is from an Amiibo I don't have (the pixel Zelda one that gives the 8/16 bit Link outfit).

You can use amiibo once a day

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah I did that back when the game was new. Change the date, scan, repeat.

Super tedious.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

See it more like a random prize every day. I have most of the Zelda amiibos strictly so I could get poo poo in BoTW.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Having no amiibos I looked in to buying a RFID writer (surprisingly cheap) but decided to just get the DLC because effort.

Still tempting as they have one on amz for 18 ducats

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Okay, I take back every criticism I ever had of this game

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I have most of the Zelda amiibos strictly so I could get poo poo in BoTW.

I have a lot of them for unlocking weapons in Hyrule Warriors. But I didn't get any of the 30th Anniversary ones except the Toon Link/Zelda two pack. It's a shame, I'd love the pixel Link one and the Majora's Mask one. The OoT Link, I can take or leave, and I have no real love for Skyward Sword Link.

Slightly off topic but I just noticed your avatar is Tiger Joe and that's awesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Twelve by Pies posted:

That’s my favorite amiibo and outfit. Takes me back to when the original game was so mysterious. Toon Link isn’t bad. The boomerang is pretty fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OK...I'm basically at what feels like the high point of the game in terms of being able to explore and do stuff without having to worry about dying/running out of stamina every five seconds. Revali's Gale, eight hearts and a full stamina wheel upgrade - I don't want to be OP from the start, but it seems like it could be retuned a bit when it takes me two dungeons and close to three dozen shrines to be having the best time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have a lot of them for unlocking weapons in Hyrule Warriors. But I didn't get any of the 30th Anniversary ones except the Toon Link/Zelda two pack. It's a shame, I'd love the pixel Link one and the Majora's Mask one. The OoT Link, I can take or leave, and I have no real love for Skyward Sword Link.

Slightly off topic but I just noticed your avatar is Tiger Joe and that's awesome.

Holy poo poo somebody actually knows who Tiger Joe is :monocle:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
In a blind playthrough of BOTW I think you spend about six to eight hours feeling woefully under-equipped and scared of all the powerful enemies in your way. Then there's a vanishingly small period where you feel like you’re about on even footing and can go anywhere, but you start snowballing really fast with equipment upgrades and special powers, until you’re basically untouchable.

In retrospect, I long for the time when I felt like the game world was out to get me and I had to scramble to survive. I can’t get it back because I know too much about how the game works now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zoran posted:

In a blind playthrough of BOTW I think you spend about six to eight hours feeling woefully under-equipped and scared of all the powerful enemies in your way. Then there's a vanishingly small period where you feel like you’re about on even footing and can go anywhere, but you start snowballing really fast with equipment upgrades and special powers, until you’re basically untouchable.

In retrospect, I long for the time when I felt like the game world was out to get me and I had to scramble to survive. I can’t get it back because I know too much about how the game works now.

It’s almost like you were the most powerful knight in the kingdom until you forgot, and you’ve slowly regained all your memories by exploring the world. Now where have I heard that before...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i want my challenges to scale arbitrarily to my own power level, thus ensuing i am forever taunted by a series of screeching pterodactyls i cannot injure with a single one of my melee weapons

(ps gently caress you Morrowind, you lovely rear end ugly fuckin nightmare of an RPG)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zoran posted:

Yeah, I miss the thrill of exploring Hyrule Castle for the very first time, when pretty much anything could kill me and I never knew what might happen next. It was awesome.

I highly recommend it to Captain Hygiene if they haven't tried it yet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i want my challenges to scale arbitrarily to my own power level, thus ensuing i am forever taunted by a series of screeching pterodactyls i cannot injure with a single one of my melee weapons

(ps gently caress you Morrowind, you lovely rear end ugly fuckin nightmare of an RPG)

This did not happen in vanilla morrowind. There were levelled enemy lists for overground monsters but were populated from a relatively weedy list. Most npcs were placed manually by devs and fixed in their power levels, and the cliff racers maxed out at Blighted as the most powerful. You s'wit. You absolute fetcher.

Oblivion and Skyrim were the ones with bad scaling, although, admittedly, no pterodactyls.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The cliff racers weren't dangerous, just annoying as hell. Can't a Nerevarine levitate around in peace??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

I highly recommend it to Captain Hygiene if they haven't tried it yet.

Nooooo
I'm already bad enough as it is in the early game

Honestly, I'm more convinced than ever that the game really needs more gradiation in difficulty leveling, beyond that normal curve and the master mode.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a common complaint.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nooooo
I'm already bad enough as it is in the early game
You have nothing to lose, do it!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Oh thank the gods, the true champion has at last returned in our time of desp-[Link makes the tiniest peek into Hyrule Castle and is instantly vaporized]...ah. Well."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s almost like you were the most powerful knight in the kingdom until you forgot, and you’ve slowly regained all your memories by exploring the world. Now where have I heard that before...

Except wasn't Link just the guy chosen by the sword, not a knight of any note, which is why everyone is like "who's this kid?"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's fine, the Goddess just sighs and rolls back time. Again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kassad posted:

It's fine, the Goddess just sighs and rolls back time. Again.

But the Goddess will not reward Link with chests from the sky more than once per day per amiibo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ItBreathes posted:

Except wasn't Link just the guy chosen by the sword, not a knight of any note, which is why everyone is like "who's this kid?"

No he was a knight and so was his dad.

His dad was even good enough to be sent to Zora's domain to teach Mipha, so Link was hardly a nobody. Most of the 'who's this kid?' comes from Zelda who has a raging inferiority complex when they meet and is desperate to take Link down a few pegs.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ItBreathes posted:

Link was kicking trained adults‘ asses when he was like 5 years old or something

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy poo poo somebody actually knows who Tiger Joe is :monocle:

Granted I've only seen Lion Maru G, not the original, but I figured he was probably a Lion Maru character and the original Tiger Joe and I was right. :v:

I've been running around Hyrule Field the past few days and now for my troubles I have a full Tingle outfit, a full Phantom Soldier outfit, Midna's Helmet and Majora's Mask. Also hundreds of Guardian parts, so guess I can make that chainsaw sword now.

Do the bonuses you get from armor pieces stack with elixirs/food? Like every piece of the Phantom Soldier outfit is + attack, so equipping the full set is a + 3 attack. Would that stack with a + attack elixir so I'd get to 4-6 or no? I know stuff like temperature resist gear stacks with elixirs, so I wondered if it was the same for stat boosts, or if it does stack but 3 is the max.

At the very least I've gotten pretty good at shooting Guardian lasers back into their faces with the Hylian Shield. Like 70% of the time I'm successful. I don't know what I'll do if my shield breaks, I hear there's a guy who sells me replicas and I've even talked to his parents or something, but I've never seen him.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The best balance of power in the game is raiding Hyrule Castle immediately after leaving the Great Plateau; three hearts, one extra pip on the stamina wheel, and a bunch of endgame weapons with which to swat moblins around :c00l:

E: and the Hylian Shield so you can THPS everywhere

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

At the very least I've gotten pretty good at shooting Guardian lasers back into their faces with the Hylian Shield. Like 70% of the time I'm successful.

This part's great. I made a specific effort this time to go out of my way and get comfortable taking out the Guardians. Pro-tier is successfully taking out a couple with the pot lid you picked up back in Kakariko earlier :hellyeah:

And yeah, the added bonus that I was swimming in spare parts before I even got to the first dungeon is cool, having multiple times what you need for upgrades by the time you get to either tech lab is pretty great.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Namnesor posted:

E: and the Hylian Shield so you can THPS everywhere

I did this on my second or third playthrough and ended up breaking it well before I could complete the Tarrytown quest and buy another. I was very sad that i had to go back to riding my teleporting super fast horse.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if you want to make the mid and end game more difficult, make it so Guardians don't drop loot if you take them out with Guardian Arrows.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

See it more like a random prize every day.

Well that's what it is, and it's garbage.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

luckily its just cosmetic poo poo, game breaking poo poo, and free poo poo that you get from cute toys and is all entirely optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

sigher posted:

Eh, sometimes you get a neat and weird sword out of it, or it's good if you need some metal chests and blocks for using as barriers as well.