Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

HenryEx posted:

What about the ones who make a game to sell their music, like the Domina guy

I mean sure, there may be niche exceptions, but in general, selling your soundtrack is almost certainly going to generate a lot less revenue than treating the soundtrack as advertising. The value proposition on publishing it for free and encouraging people to use it with attribution beats the pants off trying to sell it.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

physical videogame soundtracks are funko pops for people who are too cool for funko pops

Yeah absolutely sell whatever physical merch fanboys wanna buy, I'm talking about selling digital soundtracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shaocaholica posted:

Are all these cheap steam game keys legit on eBay? Is there a catch?
I don't know about eBay, but I've bought several cheap keys off G2A and nothing has gone wrong yet. I've always paid by Paypal because Paypal always has the buyers back in disputes.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Nowher posted:

Ah bummer, I was thinking about giving Vermintide 2 a shot. What have the developers done to drive away the players?

:fatshark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MwwEFGM5Ug

Not exhaustively: Painfully slow content release schedule, not core-ing temporary content in a game that's starved for content, focus on features that very few people want or care for (leaderboards in a co-op PvE game lol), constantly fiddling with a mechanics back-end that's poorly explained in-game as is, a bizarrely grind-y progression system and even more grind-y cosmetics progression, an item customization system that will have you re-rolling for dozens of minutes for each item (if you're lucky) because it's an RNG-fiesta that doesn't respect your time, etc...

This came to a head in the major DLC drop Winds of Magic. The marquee feature were the titular Winds, which were a system divided in 100 tiers. Each tier was a 100% non-random map, even the spawns were identical, because leaderboards. Each tier had an entirely separate queue, which as you can imagine made queuing endless. Right now some players can't find WoM queues at all, and this is AFTER they fixed the lunacy that was 100 separate queues; people have just gone back to the main gamemode instead. Considering it ate up 8 months of dev time to make a game-mode people don't really play anymore, yeah... Which is a shame because the progression system in Winds is far better than the RNG-fest that is main-game character progression. The new faction introduced has been a buggy mess and only recent patches have somewhat cleared it up.

Of the three DLC drops the only one that was well-received was the one that ported beloved maps from the first game, lol.

The game is fine if you stick to the main campaign missions, ignore the DLC and stay away from the highest difficulties because they really magnify all the gameplay problems the game has, but I'd not get my hopes up when it comes to good additional content on top of that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't know about eBay, but I've bought several cheap keys off G2A and nothing has gone wrong yet. I've always paid by Paypal because Paypal always has the buyers back in disputes.

Hey we're not supposed to talk about G2A in here, especially because devs would rather you pirate their game than give them money

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

K8.0 posted:

I mean sure, there may be niche exceptions, but in general, selling your soundtrack is almost certainly going to generate a lot less revenue than treating the soundtrack as advertising. The value proposition on publishing it for free and encouraging people to use it with attribution beats the pants off trying to sell it.

edit: Spotify is garbage got it

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think putting it on Spotify is the best medium for it. I don't know if it scales but I feel you'd get more revenue from streams than from the 3 people who bought the dlc on steam.

It was a tweet so I can't find it now but I've seen at least one musician post their earnings for a year and it was like, in the ten dollars or lower range. Streaming on spotify funds suuuuuuck

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd be very curious to see how much money Square made from something like putting all their Final fantasy soundtracks on Spotify

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

K8.0 posted:

I think putting it on Spotify is the best medium for it. I don't know if it scales but I feel you'd get more revenue from streams than from the 3 people who bought the dlc on steam.

Spotify is literally the worst medium to generate revenue, none of you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

One of the best soundtracks I ever bought through steam was the Brigador soundtrack. If you haven't listened to it, do!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fart of Presto posted:

Whenever I have had issues with the Steam client, I log out of it, restart the PC and log in again. It has fixed my issues 99 times out of 100.

Here the problem seems to kick in when I log in/restart, though. There's some setting it's not always keeping between launches.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StrixNebulosa posted:

One of the best soundtracks I ever bought through steam was the Brigador soundtrack. If you haven't listened to it, do!

Is that the Makeup and Vanity Set album? Their stuff is great.

Edit: that album is on Google Play Music and Spotify.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Here the problem seems to kick in when I log in/restart, though. There's some setting it's not always keeping between launches.
It's not just closing down Steam. It's literally logging out of your Steam account (Steam/Change account, then hit Logout button).
I don't know why it has helped me - perhaps something about a dead session, and using cached data makes it look like it still works on some functions?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Call Your Grandma posted:

Transistor for me.

Yeah that's incredible.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was a tweet so I can't find it now but I've seen at least one musician post their earnings for a year and it was like, in the ten dollars or lower range. Streaming on spotify funds suuuuuuck

bandcamp 4 lyfe

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pharrell Williams had over ten millions streams of the #1 song in the country, "Happy," on Spotify. He said he made $6,000. There's a reason Taylor Swift is the best-selling artist over the last decade and resisted putting her music on streaming services for so long.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gomi Day posted:

bandcamp 4 lyfe

i wonder what sort of earnings you get on pay-as-you-like stores like that

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You can set items to have minimum prices - no less than 10$ for one of Buckethead's pikes

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

reminder that Drawful 2 remains undefeated in local couch multiplayer as the best game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

gently caress yeah. New OST is gonna be so fuckin fresh

The artist who did their music did the music for another rhythm game too, uh Overpass I think it is

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bandcamp has by far the best split for artists in the industry. I can't see anything more than slapping a few demo tracks from an album up on Spotify; sure, Spotify has more listeners than Bandcamp and theoretically higher exposure, but exposure doesn't buy food.

That's why I always check Bandcamp when I find a new band or artist I like. More of my money goes to them than it would if I buy their stuff through any other service.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

reminder that Drawful 2 remains undefeated in local couch multiplayer as the best game

i admire the artistic display but wtf you're not allowed words in your work :mad:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Bandcamp pays out 90%, regardless if a customer pays $5 or $50.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gobbeldygook posted:

Stuff like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dirt-4-PC-Steam-Download-Key-FAST-DELIVERY/312659476728?hash=item48cbf500f8:g:ww0AAOSw6XBdBqbp

e: oh it looks like G2A is even cheaper

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

K8.0 posted:

Can't believe that there are still developers who think selling game music is a good idea. They should be looking at soundtracks as a way to generate interest and sell the product, not trying to monetize the 5 people who are stupid enough to grossly overpay for some mediocre music.

I like videogame music because its mostly instrumental stuff, and I'm not a big fan of music with vocals.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
X-COM: The Bureau is well worth 4 clams.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Don't support organized crime.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's a shitload of really incredible music made for videogames and putting the OST up for sale, whether or not it's a credit to the composers or artists, is perfectly reasonable. I sure as hell know that if I put professional work and experience into making music and someone said "you should just release that for free, as advertising", I'd think that was hogwash.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

HEY SPEAKING OF VIDEO GAME OST'S it's time for my regular reminder that Monolith is extremely good - better than Enter The Gungeon and yes I will die on this particular hill

anyway it has an OST that is also extremely good, from relaxed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItvy6__G9s

to intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDiN9Qa-38

also also, recent DLC added a lot of QoL, cool weapons and a new potentially nasty fucker of a level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKvLgZto66U

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant see a butt on the monolith ship. :(

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Speaking of good soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGJmx-kxvqw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i almost certainly spent more time listening to smt: nocturne's soundtrack at work than i did playing the game at home.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oh great, reinstalling Domina now because of the OST talk.

Gosh darn it. Just gotta remember to avoid the chariot races.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
OST talk will likely become a more regular thing in the thread. Steam Thread 2020: The Year of the OST

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Aside from the obvious reason of music = good, I like soundtracks much for the same reason I like taking screenshots, they're a great way to remember all the cool stuff I've played over the years. Does a lot to prevent it all from just turning into one big blur.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Disposable Scud posted:

X-COM: The Bureau is well worth 4 clams.

You're right, X-COM: The Bureau is not worth actual money but stuff you find on the ground at the beach.

The game is not worth playing through.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

As per the thread rules, please do not discuss this kind of thing. G2A is not a legitimate site and we do not want to give them custom or talk about them here. Thank you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I recently finished a second run of A Plague Tale: Innocence and I think among its other strongpoints, it has a wonderfully expressive and underrated original score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUMByvhKGY

Always loved the soundtrack for Child of Light as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byz6960tWxQ

And of course the obligatory GRIS mention!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBToMwdYBME&t=153s

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Is Video Games Live still a thing? That was/is an awesome concept.

(spoilers for Grim Fandango on the background)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDy2C-wgFrQ

I also love the whole Into The Breach OST, although "old war machines" is probably my favorite one.
https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-breach-soundtrack

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah my buddy was really into the crypt of the necrodancer soundtrack and like he played a couple tracks and it sounded like mediocre chip tune poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIJxAI7NlA

Yeah this sounds like some chiptune poo poo alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HenryEx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIJxAI7NlA

Yeah this sounds like some chiptune poo poo alright

I mean that's a cool metal cover of the tune, but it doesn't really make your point unless you're pulling music from the game itself