Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah Medical Police is pretty much guaranteed to be great. It’s set in Brazil for gods sake.

I watched the trailer earlier. It looks like someone went ingredients shopping for an action comedy, and cooked it in the microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
yeah it's going to be great

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

if you aren't excited for Medical Police, I don't know what to tell you.

:hmmyes:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If nothing else, it's an entry in the criminally underserved category of "Shows set in Brazil."

Which it totally is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Isn't the dumb name also part of the in universe joke that the entire show is actually a fictional show within another show? Like NTSF:SD:SUV?

bull3964 posted:

Children's Hospital.

Childrens :colbert:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I had forgotten how many jokes The Nanny has about how ridiculous Cats is, and that Mr. Sheffield passed on it b/c it was complete nonsense and he has an endless rivalry with Andrew Lloyd Webber for the whole show.

the nanny is very good

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's is going to be a long year if you keep banging this drum, boss.

Can we skip to the end where the young kid gets totes nekkid in Californication about 14 years later and the earth slows down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

It's is going to be a long year if you keep banging this drum, boss.

Nah I'm already halfway through season 3. I'll be over this by next week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
is the young girl who gets naked in Californication the same one who gets naked in Twin Peaks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

is the young girl who gets naked in Californication the same one who gets naked in Twin Peaks

yes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hell of a resume.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I'm loving "The Circle" on Netflix and it's such a guilty pleasure show but hits all the pleasure points, from the catfish spy game to the actual emotional eliminations, to the challenges and games.

Social Media sucks, but that rear window Exposure is brilliant

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can somebody reboot The Outer Limits again already? I need more goddamn monsters in my life.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
There's already so much teeth gnashing in the star trek thread that Picard is gonna be bad. :sigh:

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I'm loving "The Circle" on Netflix and it's such a guilty pleasure show but hits all the pleasure points, from the catfish spy game to the actual emotional eliminations, to the challenges and games.

Social Media sucks, but that rear window Exposure is brilliant

Did you watch the UK version? I loved season 1 but they changed it to where it sucked in season 2. It was way more like Big Brother the second time around. I don't have that much time to dedicate to a reality show. I wonder how the Netflix version stacks up.

feedmyleg posted:

Can somebody reboot The Outer Limits again already? I need more goddamn monsters in my life.

Do you keep up with politics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

There's already so much teeth gnashing in the star trek thread that Picard is gonna be bad. :sigh:

Based on what?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Croatoan posted:

You went into a non-chat thread in TV IV. You know what you signed up for.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Based on what?

Picard wants the federation to be based on a post-trump and brexit world, he doesnt think the optimistic future of TNG is realistic anymore

patrick stewart in io9 article posted:

“In a way, the world of Next Generation had been too perfect and too protected,” Stewart added. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun. [Picard] was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's not substantially different from DS9.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rocksicles posted:

Netflix have lost their drat minds. First they turn Gwenyth Paltrow's scam buisness into a tv show for rich morons.

I mean Marie Kondo also sells magical bullshit like magic healing crystals and magic healing oils and her show was a phenomenon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Anything that isn't TNG will be considered bad by that thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

The problem here is you’re reading Star Trek discussion on the internet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's as if the thread is the bad thing...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Trek thread sucks. The Disco thread is better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"The optimistic future" is one of Roddenberry's mandates and led to great rules like "no inter-personal conflict anymore because we've all evolved beyond it". Don't let your premise get in the way of good storytelling. DS9 is the least Roddenberry trek and it's not coincidence that it's also by far the best.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that if Roddenberry had gotten his way Spock would have been on the grassy knoll

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gene was not a good person so the further we get from his vision the better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Do you keep up with politics?

No, I mean gruesome, repulsive-looking, uh... hm.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Is there any genre other than sci-fi where fanboys building the narrative that the creator of a work not only had nothing to do with its quality and success but was actively detrimental on every level is so widespread and accepted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sleeveless posted:

Is there any genre other than sci-fi where fanboys building the narrative that the creator of a work not only had nothing to do with its quality and success but was actively detrimental on every level is so widespread and accepted.

There's plenty of lovely fantasy writers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sleeveless posted:

In Trek’s case, it’s absolutely deserved and correct though. Gene’s vision was mountains of coke and binders full of guests stars he could gently caress behind his wife’s back. Nearly everything you recognize as Trek was either created wholesale by or extensively expanded by someone else. The franchise’s success has more to do with Gene Coon than Gene Roddenberry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Genesis fanboys who hate Peter Gabriel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Genesis fanboys who hate Peter Gabriel.

He got fuckin weird after Us.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

"I have a vision of a utopia where all men are equal. I SAID MEN drat IT!" - Gene yelling at his writing staff on TNG after a few bumps of cocaine off an extra's rear end.

Rhyno posted:

He got fuckin weird after Us.

That is a correct and accurate statement.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This looks really good.

From Alex Garland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNloYTsH0Y

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, really excited for this one. Garland owns.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm also excited for the fact that FX is going to be on Hulu now too. This looks to be visually interesting and the video quality on Hulu is loads better than FX normally is. Just in time for this and the upcoming season of Fargo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alright, fess up, who has the Monkey's Paw.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/american-horror-story-renewed-for-3-more-seasons-by-fx/

American Horror Story has a 3 season order.

Actually, I think I'm fine with this. This last season was actually rather fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sleeveless posted:

Read Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek, by Joel Engel, Inside Star Trek by Herb Solow and Bob Justman, and the two volumes of The Fifty-Year Mission, and then come back and tell me that Gene Roddenberry wasn't a sociopath and a serial cheater with his brain addled by LSD, booze and cocaine.

He hosed over David Gerrold so badly that Gerrold wound up getting a huge cash payment from Paramount, because he wrote so much of the TNG writers' bible that the WGA decided he had a justified claim to a co-creator credit on the show. Roddenberry took everything Gerrold wrote and claimed it as his own and the WGA looked at all of the documentation Gerrold produced and was like, "What the gently caress, Roddenberry?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't really think there's anyone in the Star Trek thread that idolizes Gene Roddenberry or think he's all things Trek. Quite the contrary in fact. Pretty much everyone recognizes he was batshit insane and while he got the ball rolling things were better when he wasn't at the helm.

I think people are just weary of corrupt federation stories at this point as that's comprised the vast majority of Trek media over the past decade.

Hopefully the characterization of the Federation in Picard is not so much corrupt or xenophobic but rather rooted in real fears and understandable human failings. THAT would keep with the theme of Trek that humanity wants to do the right thing even if occasionally we need a positive push to get the courage to do it. I could see a federation that has turned inward after failing to save Romulus and the resulting backlash of that which leads to them turning a blind eye to other suffering out of a fear of making things worse.

Star Trek has never been subtle though, so people are skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will watch the show, and then form an opinion on it, is my plan.