Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Neal! posted:

Guess all those hanging out in the snow doing nothing chapters really made up the numbers for Perrin.

Also, there was a second prologue for Eye of the World in later editions? Worth reading?

Not really? Its from a young Egwene's point of view during a sheep shearing about ten years before the series and mostly just serves to give some more info on the Two Rivers and introduce a bunch of the main characters as preteens/teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Vavrek posted:

18-19, I think. Maybe 20ish? I think about 20. I remember consistently underestimating the ages of the characters, except for Nynaeve, because I assumed that Egwene started braiding her hair at like 16. And that Nynaeve was unusually young as a 30something Wisdom who looked like she was in her mid-20s, not a 26 year old who looked like she had just started braiding her hair.

Y'all've reminded me of one of my favorite scenes that involve visions and callbacks.
Sharina, Sharina, oh she was mentioned in passing last book, but Nynaeve wasn't there ...

Ten years earlier, RJ plants a name.

poo poo like this is why I'm enjoying doing a re-read while listening along to that WoT Spoilers Podcast. They usually stop and talk about stuff like that as they go and it's amazing how much stuff is telegraphed years in advance. I've read the entire series twice, but I'm notoriously bad about keeping details like that in my head so it's nice having it brought to my attention. I just got to their episodes on Rand's visions in Rhuidean and it's crazy all the stuff packed into there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Neal! posted:

Guess all those hanging out in the snow doing nothing chapters really made up the numbers for Perrin.

Also, there was a second prologue for Eye of the World in later editions? Worth reading?

In 2002 they decided to attract younger readers to the series by putting out a new edition where they split the first (and possibly the second?) book into 2 books to make them less intimidating, and they added a second prologue to the first of these new books, where are much younger Egwene sits down to listen to someone tell the story of the dragon reborn and the breaking. I don't believe that addition was ever added to any subsequent printing of tEotW as a single volume. Also I'm pretty sure the divided books were only ever released in Britain.

The idea was that it forms a bridge between the events of the prologue and chapter 1, and helps younger readers to understand what's happening in the book more easily, to make the story more accessible. From an adult perspective, that's bad because it fundamentally changes how you look at the first book and gives you too much information that spoils later reveals.

Ultimately I think it was borne out of an era where publishers still overwhelmingly had the condescending belief that younger teens and preteens needed special, dumbed down writing just for them because they couldn't handle books written for adults. YA fantasy at the time was pretty dire overall. Then JK Rowling proved that kids would happily devour bloody great 900 page doorstops, and it led to a shift in YA fantasy/scifi.

Also re Ages of the characters - based on the timeline in Behind the Wheel of Time, the three boys are all 18 at the beginning of book 1; Elayne and Egwene are 16; and Nyneve is I think around 26, but looks like she's 16. The series takes place over the course of about 3 years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All the future/parallel universe angreal portal scenes are really good stuff. Do they ever explain what the crazy lizard people were that Mat talked to?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Invalid Validation posted:

All the future/parallel universe angreal portal scenes are really good stuff. Do they ever explain what the crazy lizard people were that Mat talked to?

The eelfinn? And the aelfinn?

Um

Depends what you mean by explain. Fae are fae, y'know?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vavrek posted:

This page has a per-chapter breakdown of PoV characters. Rand, in book 1, clocks in at 74.5763%. Mat doesn't get a single PoV until he wakes up in the White Tower after being healed.

I think this actually works out super well - you get a sense of this disturbing gradual shift in Mat's personality from the perspective of his closest friends but never his own feelings about it until he's half conscious cursing out aes sedai in the old tongue. After that he's back to normal but what does normal mean if you've most half your memories and every aes sedai looks at you like an interesting puzzle to be taken apart.

I might be biased though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat's interactions with the Seanchan Blood in AMoL are very entertaining, he just fucks up the protocol of every interaction he has with them and yet by the end has ingratiated himself with almost everyone.

Tuon just kinda watches like, "yep that's my idiot husband."

quote:

“I name you Knotai, for you are a bringer of destruction to the Empire’s enemies. Let your new name only be spoken from now into eternity, Knotai. I proclaim that Knotai, Prince of the Ravens, is to be given the rank of Rodholder in our armies. Let it be published as my will.”

“Knotai?” Knotai said.

She glared at him. Keep your tongue, for once, she thought at him. Please.

“I kind of like it,” Knotai said, turning his horse and trotting away.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I love how Mat basically fails upwards nonstop. Even to his own level of competence, in fact!
Better to be lucky than good, and all that.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lord Bude posted:

In 2002 they decided to attract younger readers to the series by putting out a new edition where they split the first (and possibly the second?) book into 2 books to make them less intimidating, and they added a second prologue to the first of these new books, where are much younger Egwene sits down to listen to someone tell the story of the dragon reborn and the breaking. I don't believe that addition was ever added to any subsequent printing of tEotW as a single volume. Also I'm pretty sure the divided books were only ever released in Britain.

The Finnish translations of the books were published divided back in the 90s. I was like 10 when I read them though so I don't recall if that extra prologue was there.

e: I got curious and looked it up. Books 1-3 were split into two parts, 4-6 into three parts, 7-11 into two parts again and apparently the last three were never translated. The translated names are mostly what you'd expect.

bloom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 9, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, having read through the first 3 books again super recently i was surprised at how little focus mat had gotten, especially since i remembered him being fairly important. there's enough lack there to where it'd be easy to disbelieve the idea that he's apparently near the same level as rand or perrin.

There's a reason a lot of readers hate Mat for the first two books.

The Lord Bude posted:

Ultimately I think it was borne out of an era where publishers still overwhelmingly had the condescending belief that younger teens and preteens needed special, dumbed down writing just for them because they couldn't handle books written for adults. YA fantasy at the time was pretty dire overall. Then JK Rowling proved that kids would happily devour bloody great 900 page doorstops, and it led to a shift in YA fantasy/scifi.

The Goblet of Fire had been out for two years in 2002, so I think that was well-proven even then. His Dark Materials was big around then, too, and those are not small books either.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

EotW sold very well to young adults, in it's first printing, it turns out. Great cover art + prologue ending in a guy building a volcano did just fine.

The split was more about "printing bloody great doorstoppers is expensive and splitting them is profitable" than anything else I'd guess.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I remember those paperbacks, they were beasts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I will never not have the entire set of books, paperback until like 9, on my bookshelf. :3:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Way way back, I believe to celebrate the publishing of Fires of Heaven, they split the first book in half and printed the first half of the first book as an individual volume that was given away for free with purchase at Borders-affiliated book stores

I’ve still got mine somewhere. I’d swear that the last page has a tag line of “to be continued in the sixth and final book of the Wheel of Time saga”.

I can never find anyone else who has a copy and when you google it you just get the later split printing.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 9, 2020

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jesus christ this chapter is 9 hours long in the audiobook??? AMoL: The Last Battle

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I really really hope they don't cut the prologue in the show.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the prologue would be a really cool way to immediately hook people right before it slams right into emond's field for a bit. not that the early segments suck, but they're gonna need to set themselves apart from other series if they want people to care since 'quaint village' isn't exactly a showstopper on its own. a hint at some of the crazy poo poo right from the get-go would be good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

the prologue would be a really cool way to immediately hook people right before it slams right into emond's field for a bit. not that the early segments suck, but they're gonna need to set themselves apart from other series if they want people to care since 'quaint village' isn't exactly a showstopper on its own. a hint at some of the crazy poo poo right from the get-go would be good.

this brings up the big question: who's playin lews therin

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eke out posted:

anyone. I cannot think of any other scenes where he's visible. the voice is more important but there's good reason to not keep that the same too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

eke out posted:

David Tennant of course

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Billy Zane

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nah, he's one of the Forsaken for sure. He can play crazy and evil really, really well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think they've identified or eliminated all the guys at the E1 table read and at this point it doesn't look like there's anyone for Lews Therin or Ishamael.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I think they've identified or eliminated all the guys at the E1 table read and at this point it doesn't look like there's anyone for Lews Therin or Ishamael.

This doesn't necessarily eliminate them. They could do that as a short prologue to the episode. If that was the case, why pay two actors to stay at the whole table read for their short intro scene.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The obvious answer is that the prologue will be the anime wot we've all wanted for years.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

I will never not have the entire set of books, paperback until like 9, on my bookshelf. :3:

A few years ago, I deliberately tracked down the old Tor paperbacks of the entire series. The new covers are really good, but there's nostalgia for the old ones. Having all fifteen laid out, taking pretty much an entire shelf, is great.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

anyone. I cannot think of any other scenes where he's visible. the voice is more important but there's good reason to not keep that the same too.

I just imagined they would do a Caprica 6 and just have Lews Therin standing around doing poo poo since TV is a visual medium. Have him humming and tugging his ear over Berelain then you cut to Rand doing the same thing. You could even have a couple of mind gently caress scenes where it's unclear which of the two was the one physically "there" as far as the other people around him are concerned.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

eke out posted:

Mark Hamill. Not because Skywalker, because of his Joker.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mark Hamill. Not because Skywalker, because of his Joker.

Jim Carrey

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

eke out posted:

SNL Guest Comedian roulette style

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
WoT show is going to have to step up hard if Thom is going to compete with Toss a Coin to Your Witcher.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Anias posted:

SNL Guest Comedian roulette style

(stephen wright as Lews Therin meets Mazrim Taim)

Oh, oh man. You gotta kill him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wish he HAD just fuckin killed Taim, like ZAP and everyone else is like WTF dude.

I mean if the point was to illustrate an insane guy doing what seems logical in his internal narrative juxtaposed with what everyone else sees him doing

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

eke out posted:

H Jon Benjamin.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The prologue to EotW is legit one of the best out there, I can't imagine they wouldn't string everyone in with it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just show the Billy Zane prologue

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly Lews Therin should probably be portrayed by a Voice Actor since most of his role would probably be a voice in Rands head, unless they do some stupid force ghost poo poo... so Hamill isn't the worst idea actually.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

Just show the Billy Zane prologue

Winter Dragon was hilariously low budget and scummy but Billy Zane was great and the guy playing Lews Therin wasn't terrible either.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Honestly Lews Therin should probably be portrayed by a Voice Actor since most of his role would probably be a voice in Rands head, unless they do some stupid force ghost poo poo... so Hamill isn't the worst idea actually.

It was a serious suggestion.

That or Nolan North, between Steven Heck and Martin Walker he does madness well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly I'd just have Lews on-screen for when he's talking. It gives you more options for performance and lets you do the classic "cut to a bystander's perspective where he's shouting at nothing" trick.