Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
IFPA state tournies coming up on the 14th.

Our's (MN) being held at a private residence this year since we've run through the handful of public locations that have enough machines over the past few years. Since it's at a private location - the owner has been asked not to have any of the qualifying players over before the tournament. Not really fair to those that don't know him as well as others, etc.

Other than Creature from the Black Lagoon, I have access to all of his other tables at various public locations. Most of them I've played a decent amount, though some way more than others.

Any suggestions for quick/easy points on the following?

ACDC Premium. I like the table, but have never gotten into that much and don't really know the rules. I typically just pick War Machine, cause I like hitting spinners and it makes a cool sound. Yes, my "strategy" is that dumb.

Jurassic Park Prem . Chaos multiball? Something else?

Iron Maiden Premium . See ACDC. I like it. I've played it plenty, but just don't have any actual strategy going while playing it.

PinBot and Whirlwind - Anything beyond starting multiball and trying for jackpots?

STTNG - Anthing other than taking free locks at ball launch and going for multiball? What's the best quick points mode to start with?

Thanks for any tips, and good luck to others that have qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, the one table I played a ton out of that lot is Iron Maiden, so let me think what I would go for for quick points.

As far as battle modes go, you don't have a lot of choice since AFAIK, tournament Maiden starts at Fear and you can't really choose your mode, just shoot the left spinner and pray. Since Fear is kind of a crap mode, I would suggest starting by hitting the skill shot, then using the ball saver time to rip the left spinner once, hoping for a better mode. Ripping the left spinner on ball save time is generally good because kickbacks are good period.

The ideal is Hallowed, which can be big points even without getting a playfield X, especially with the potential for the 3x Soul Shard collect on the center of the Pharaoh target.
Aces and Rime are both good modes because hey, multiball. Don't forget that the orb mystery is your add-a-ball in those modes.
Icarus is a mode that can either murder you or bring you the win - if you can combo those ramps, go for it, but if not, you might be better off trying to do something like stacking it with Mummy, since the add-a-ball for that has you hitting the two ramps at least once.
Fear, like I said, is kind of crap. It's very risky to go for the big points - the biggest I really go for is left ramp, right ramp for the double, and left orbit for the regular spinner. Everything else is asking for it. If you don't care for it, stack it with Trooper.

As for multiballs...

Mummy, in my experience, needs a really good multiball to make something of it, since it takes a while to advance to the good jackpot. Since it's easily set up to be instantly usable with a single captive ball shot, I like using it for a mode stack, like I said, particularly with Icarus.
Trooper is a money multiball if you can keep things going. Make sure you make the most out of your cannon shot you can light from the start and again after every Super - on top of being the add-a-ball the first time, spotting multiple jackpots by getting the 3x Pharaoh target shot gets you to the Super faster, and if you can get, say, two Supers, you're going to have a fair amount of 3x Jackpots. Add in a playfield X, and Trooper can really go far.
Cyborg is something you need to watch out for - you have to keep it going to really score, but the add-a-balls for scoring jackpots will be able to keep you going. Besides, you're probably not going to actively go for it anyway, so it'll probably just happen and at that point you're going to take whatever you can get anyway.
Also, don't sleep on Can I Play With Madness. If you have a great game and can get some Tomb Treasures, that multiball can give you another 100 million or so if you play it well. If you know you have the third Tomb Treasure lit, go for it!

For other stuff around the table, if you can rip the outer loop, Loop Jackpots can do a ton of damage, even more if you can hit the inner loop and bring in a multiplier. The problem is that that outer loop is deadly. Never forget the wise words of Bowen. As for Power Jackpots, I find saving them up for a massive collect to be a fool's errand - either you're gonna miss a shot and collect it anyway, or you'll get greedy, drain and lose all of it. Also, learn how the ball behaves on a shot up the center ramp when you hold up the mini-flipper up top. On my table, it collects the bottom two drops, and a shot around the right orbit with the mini-flipper held hits the top, which can be very useful for lighting the orb for a multiball mode or getting to Trooper. Otherwise, not much there, I think.

So yeah, if you want a good floor, just try to get and beat Hallowed, and try to play Trooper. But that's not something you can consistently do.

EDIT: Oh, and of course playfield X is big. If you have only one target left and it doesn't seem suicidal, go for it and set yourself up. Training to not blow your load on the playfield X early is important - the best moments are right at the end of Hallowed for the final shot up the middle and the Soul Shard collect, and after collecting your first Super in Trooper and getting the 2x jackpots lit (I don't like doing it before collecting the Super because that shot loving sucks). Or right before doing Loop Jackpots, but, you know, don't shoot loops or you die.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 8, 2020

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tony Phillips posted:

This times 100. Knowing going in that if you're going to have a good game that it would take 30+ minutes was really a deterrent to wanting to play. Added an EM at one point and found myself playing it way more often since I knew I could run through 5 games in the 10-15 minutes that I felt like playing for and that that was more what I was looking for.

I never got into EMs, but I like the 1980s System 11 games for the same reason. Taxi - still a challenge for me to pick up all the passengers, but a good game would be 10 minutes or less. I like the simple arcade action.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
ACDC - Pick a mode that has shots you like (shots are lit when previewing songs so you don't have to memorize). Don't pick the mode that is just cannon all day (I think it's For Those About to Rock), as it's too dangerous on a machine you don't know. Get into a multiball (any of them will do, but Jam is easy to just grind ramps for). Stacking MBs is typically worse than taking them one at a time. Complete all of the red music note shots while in a MB to get an add-a-ball (the VIP passes you get from skill shots can be used on the action button to spot a shot, so you can use this to your advantage when draining out of MB if you have enough passes).

Pinbot - Other than MB, I try to go for vortexes. shoot the left ramp and pray it feeds to the shooter lane. The vortex values are multiplied by the number of times you make the left ramp -> shooter lane, so it can get quite valuable.

ST:TNG - Video mode: L -> L -> R -> R -> L -> L -> R -> L -> R/L

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

STTNG - Anthing other than taking free locks at ball launch and going for multiball? What's the best quick points mode to start with?

Thanks for any tips, and good luck to others that have qualified.

As I recall, the big ups on TNG are:
  • getting super spinner multipliers
  • hitting warp 9.9 (timed lane bonus)
  • hitting the right ramp repeatedly for an escalating ramp bonus
  • earning at least one set of all four artifacts before Final Frontier multiball for a 1 billion bonus per set
  • memorizing the shuttlecraft path in the minigame for guaranteed max points and an artifact/extra ball: L-L-R-R-L-L-R-L-X (either way)
  • cradling the ball to time out the missions after you earn the artifact/to not risk your ball, technically a loss of points but FF is where the big money is and some of the missions really aren't worth the risk

I haven't played TNG in close to two years so I might've missed something, but that feels pretty comprehensive after taking another look at the table.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Hopefully these aren’t too simple:

AC/DC: three Bell hits is a 2X playfield multiplier, so I shoot the cannon at the bell. It's why you see a lot of Hell's Bells in competition. The problem with it is it's easy to brick the ball off the left TNT standup and bye bye ball. I'm an all day War Machine, too.

Pinbot: be sure to be gentle as the first ball starts. You want that flashing shot to open the visor in one try. I make sure I can hit the blue column and wait for it to cycle around. Not sure if you get EBs in a satellite competition, but two open visors is an EB light. You can get that in one ball pretty easily if you hit that flashing shot.

I also say don’t sleep on the Energy Value shot if the pops don’t suck. You can stack that up, and rake the left drop targets with a backhand on the way on some tables. If you can spam that ramp, it's a safe place to have the ball and bonus multipliers don’t hurt. It builds the Solar Eclipse jackpot, and keeps feeding the pops where it doesn’t slide off the upper playfield into the middle (building Energy, too).

Nothing beats locking the eyeball and being methodical in the resulting single ball play, really. In a competition, the Solar Eclipse jackpot is probably riding the minimum most of the time. If you can spam ramps in between eye locks, you get huge jackpots, but it takes patience and precision.

In reality, most Pinbots are beat all to hell by now and none are reliable enough to be that precise on. So it's grab every points you can.

God I love that game!

bort fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 9, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Every time we had tng in a tourney it was Multiball and video mode. It’s such a blah tourney game.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

Every time we had tng in a tourney it was Multiball and video mode. It’s such a blah tourney game.
This applies to pretty much every DMD-era Ritchie game.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

tobeannouncd posted:

ST:TNG - Video mode: L -> L -> R -> R -> L -> L -> R -> L -> R/L

it's the same every time? gently caress

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
Yeah, for AC/DC you probably want to start a game on Hell's Bells. Hit the bell three times for 2x, another 3 times while 2x is going for 3x, every bell hit resets the multiplier timer back to 20 seconds, a ball in the dish behind the bell gets you a trip to Hell (the lower playfield) every time you loop the major shots. That's probably the fastest way to start with big points.

Hell Ain't A Bad Place to Be is probably the easier Hell start, though, since you get a shot at Hell straight from the plunge.

If you're going for survival, don't stack multis. Album and Tour Multis are more lucrative if you're lucky than Jam is, because a jackpot involving the album or tour that the currently playing song was featured on will get you the Song Jackpot as an added bonus to the Multi Jack. So, if you're on Back in Black, and you get the right album from an Album Jack, you'll get the song jack too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yeah, if you're playing for pure points and ball safety it's really boring. I can't stand it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

anyone heading to INDiSC this weekend? i'm staying far far away, personally :D

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

pzy posted:

it's the same every time? gently caress

There's a ROM out there that replaces the video mode with a flat 25 million. Way better for tournament play, TBH.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

boar guy posted:

anyone heading to INDiSC this weekend? i'm staying far far away, personally :D

Oh poo poo, I had no idea this was a thing. Can I just play machines for fun, I am a tournament coward but enjoy the silver ball

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Oh poo poo, I had no idea this was a thing. Can I just play machines for fun, I am a tournament coward but enjoy the silver ball

$40 a day I believe

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Not going this year, but went last year. The main room has pretty much any game you could ever want to play on freeplay. It's a good time.

I played Iron Maiden in the tournament with Keith Elwin watching me. Probably the most surreal feeling I've had so far playing competitively.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I hit 1bil on Guardians for the first time last night during league :toot: my previous best was 260mil on that game so I'm pretty loving thrilled. Everything just kind of fell into place, I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it again. Started with Antiquities Shop, moved on to Knowhere, slammed out Groot AND Orb Multiball on ball 1, completed Pod Chase, Sibling Rivalry and Escape Kyln on ball 2, started ball 3 with Quill's Quest, and it was all gravy from there. Got through Cherry Bomb and hit a 560mil super. Fuckin' crazy

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Netsky posted:

Not going this year, but went last year. The main room has pretty much any game you could ever want to play on freeplay. It's a good time.

I played Iron Maiden in the tournament with Keith Elwin watching me. Probably the most surreal feeling I've had so far playing competitively.

Hah, thats awesome.

See ya there boys

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Our MMr at work is seemingly-randomly ejecting new balls from the trough in the middle of normal play. the ball auto-launches into the field because of the switch in the channel there, the launcher never fires at the wrong time; but what could be causing the eject solenoid to fire? The wiring seems more solid than anything else in the machine that isn't a plug, and it never fires when the trough is empty or double-fires or gets stuck, anything that would indicate a wiring/power problem to me

(ed) All five optos in the trough seem to be working correctly, but I couldn't figure out how to be looking at the Switch Edge test AND cause the eject to fire so I could see how the switches changed, so I used some torn paper

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 11, 2020

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

Tony Phillips posted:

Jurassic Park Prem . Chaos multiball? Something else?

hey, hi, hello.

ok so gently caress just going for chaos, it is very good points but rattling away at it alone isn't going to build you a good baseline. so how do we build to CHAOS and score points? complete the first dino (1 rescue, trap targets then lit yellow shot), the +200k rescue dino is ideal but really either will do. the real cherry here is that you get access to your first control room mode, which is very conveniently the C shot. so now you've hit it and you've got three modes to pick, system boot is the one you want. three lit blue shots lead to three others, however all of HAOS are mode shots during this. a good system boot can net you 100m+ alone, and you'll most likely be very close to starting CHAOS after it.

the first truck/trex mode is trex MB (on default settings), which can also be great scoring. you can start it right away at the trex ramp but you want to build up its value through the other lit amber shots, be careful though because you can actually take too long and have the hurryup run out and not have the MB available to you. once you get it up to something nice (two lit shots is good value, more is better but hey, some of those shots are tight) start it on the trex ramp. you get double scoring if you follow the red arrow sequentially through CHAOS but really you just want to build up to the super, the jackpots still climb as you hit shots.

using this basic strat i can drum out 200m+ games with good consistency now, good luck!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hi, I'm terrible at pinball but I like to play it, and since I got a vive last month I've really been into PinballFx2 VR, the only real drawback being that it doesn't share tables with regular FX2 and it only has like 10 tables itself and only 3 of those aren't dlc.

Are there any other good VR pinball setups that maybe let you use custom tables? If I could play the Marvel and Star Wars tables I bought for regular FX2 I think I'd be happy forever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

raditts posted:

Hi, I'm terrible at pinball but I like to play it, and since I got a vive last month I've really been into PinballFx2 VR, the only real drawback being that it doesn't share tables with regular FX2 and it only has like 10 tables itself and only 3 of those aren't dlc.

Are there any other good VR pinball setups that maybe let you use custom tables? If I could play the Marvel and Star Wars tables I bought for regular FX2 I think I'd be happy forever.

Zaccaria has VR, but you have to pay to enable it. Beyond that I don't know. Good luck!

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I haven't played around with it, but there is the super open source/custom route of Visual Pinball which has VR tables. I've heard good things but it looked like it was a lot of setup and I've yet to even play the pfx2 tables in vr for very long.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I started playing with virtual pinball vr but it seems like a huge hassle to get working properly

I wish fx2vr had more tables, its really great

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Kouerson posted:

hey, hi, hello.

ok so gently caress...the first dino (1 rescue, trap targets then lit yellow shot), the ...control room mode ...C shot...system boot...HAOS

using this basic strat i can drum out 200m+ games with good consistency now, good luck!
You magnificent goon. Thank you so much, you totally changed my appreciation for this game.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Anybody playing in their respective state finals this weekend for IFPA NACS? I played yesterday, made it through to the semifinals which was amazing, then got bounced really quickly and got smoked in the 3rd place playoff. I took the scorecard from the first round where I won the series 4-3 as a memento since it's the first time I've ever won an official IFPA circuit series. I've made states once before but lost 3-4 in the first round, so this was definitely a big improvement

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Anybody playing in their respective state finals this weekend for IFPA NACS? I played yesterday, made it through to the semifinals which was amazing, then got bounced really quickly and got smoked in the 3rd place playoff. I took the scorecard from the first round where I won the series 4-3 as a memento since it's the first time I've ever won an official IFPA circuit series. I've made states once before but lost 3-4 in the first round, so this was definitely a big improvement

Yeah. Fifth time. Ate it 3-4 in the first round this year. Took one on the chin from an insanely tight tilt on Paragon. Bonus up to 17K with a 2x - almost to 20K where it would carry over. 34k in bonus lost on that ball, no carry over since I didn't reach 20 and then lost the match by 16k. Would have been a 4-2 win.

Oh well. Not the biggest upset (I was the 6 seed this year) as our #2 seed got bounced 4-2 in an absolute WTF is happening first round match. Cinderella story for MN was the #10 seed making the finals before getting ritualistically slaughtered 4-0 by the returning champ. Don't try to beat top 50 ranked players in a best of 7.

Good times though. Nice living in a state with a decent competitive scene, but still small enough where a B-lister like me gets to qualify each year.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Nicely done. I got to compete in my first state championship yesterday as the 10 seed. Won my first round 4-2 then got stomped against the 2 seed 1-4. Basically used up all my luck on the one game I won that round. Had a 500,000+ ball 1 on Mata Hari, then nearly GC'd it after ball 3.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Came top-8 in NH a couple years ago, and got snowed-in last year. Got gud in the meantime, and it paid off.

Had a pretty crazy final game on WCS. I was player 2, and I was going in to ball 3 down (880 mil to ~120 mil). I had multiball ready on Final Draw, and took about 3 minutes struggling to hit it. Finally hit it and had a pretty pathetic MB (only 1 jackpot). At that point, I was maybe up to 300 mil. Started Big Goal round, completed, now I'm at ~375 mil. Because of the goals, all of the ultra modes were lit, so I decided to just focus on completing as much of those as possible. Got an EB at some point. Drained at ~550 mil. Because of all the ultra modes, my bonus ended up at ~300 mil. I then had to plunge my EB, sitting at 850 mil. Took the win with 75 mil in bonus on a plunged ball.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

You're all making me feel inadequate, since I'm just the okay-est pinball player in the world. Though I don't much care for competitive playing. I mostly just play as a bit of a diversion from life, and I prefer going for modes more than high score.

It probably doesn't help that a good chunk of the people at my nearby pinball place are chud assholes, and the forced interaction with them from participating in the local tournaments is particularly unappealing.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Inferior Third Season posted:

You're all making me feel inadequate, since I'm just the okay-est pinball player in the world. Though I don't much care for competitive playing. I mostly just play as a bit of a diversion from life, and I prefer going for modes more than high score.

It probably doesn't help that a good chunk of the people at my nearby pinball place are chud assholes, and the forced interaction with them from participating in the local tournaments is particularly unappealing.

That sucks to hear. I don't normally do competitive stuff but the pinball group around me has been very welcoming and the TDs actually call people out when they say disparaging poo poo.

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
If anyone lives in or around the NYC area, the NYC Pinball Championships just opened registrations yesterday. I played last year and it was a fun, though, I haven't played in a lot of tournaments that I can compare it to https://www.nycpinballchamps.com/registration

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

bort posted:

You magnificent goon. Thank you so much, you totally changed my appreciation for this game.

No worries! I put a ton of time into it because it's in my league.

I'm waiting til friday to get NYCPC entry because it's gonna be a pricey tournament (with hotel + travel + entries) so seeing how much cash I get paid to start the road for saving for it in earnest. Found a relatively cheap hostel close to the venue too.

Kouerson fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 22, 2020

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Kouerson posted:

No worries! I put a ton of time into it because it's in my league.

A few more JP questions for you then.

It seems like with the updated code that the button now does.... something? It seems to count as a rescue shot in a mode (maybe not...) I've also heard that if you hit the missile shot and then hit the button, it automatically starts chaos. Is there an optimal time to use this?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

was on vacation this past weekend, went to portland for the first time

hit ground kontrol, played a few games

TNA was out of order, but apparently had been repaired right before I left, bummer.

on the other hand, I can now officially say I've played all three black knight tables and that I don't like any of them

bort
Mar 13, 2003

A guy on my league team got Elvira into a bugged state and racked up over 7 B. He said during Happy Hour he was getting 50 million per ramp.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

hexwren posted:

on the other hand, I can now officially say I've played all three black knight tables and that I don't like any of them

I'm sorry for your bad taste, friend.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was never a big fan of the original but Black Knight 2000 is the friggin shizzy.

I've never encountered Sword of Rage but I just checked out the release trailer and yep, that's a Scott Ian and Brendan Small score :rock:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 23, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd like SoR more if the ones here weren't both LEs and therefore have the lovely upper field :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I took a long lunch break to play SoR at the bar down the street and set the Molten Fire high score so I guess I'm getting better after all.