Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The movie was good and it'S based on an amazing comic.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because Alita actually owned, in spite of your garbage opinion

I haven't seen it, just going by what I've read on these forums which was that it was a lovely movie because HER EYES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

I haven't seen it, just going by what I've read on these forums which was that it was a lovely movie because HER EYES

lol, you made the dumbest possible decision

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Holy poo poo New Mutants news

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/08/the-new-mutants-x-men-horror-film

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

But big eyes though! Herb-a-derb!

I hated the trailer because of the eyes, didn't notice them at all in the actual film.

I think the eyes were much reworked from the trailers.

I loved the movie. Very earnest and charming, even for people not familiar with the manga.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol, you made the dumbest possible decision

I don't get out to movies since moviepass died. I'll watch it when it hits Netflix

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alita was genuinely one of the best films of the year.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Looking forward to the AI generated finger family cinematic universe!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Looking forward to the AI generated finger family cinematic universe!

An entire deepfake genre that's just other people's thumbs in Thumb Wars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't the woman from X-Men Origins also Native American? Not that I fault the author for wanting to forget that movie exists.

I still stand by my initial thoughts from years ago, that New Mutants will probably be at least fine. It is funny that the casting definitely reflects a movie greenlit in 2017 (actors from The Witch, Stranger Things, and Game of Thrones).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sir, weve run the numbers and the system says "Avatar Musical with non stop shots of glistening abs"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Barudak posted:

Sir, weve run the numbers and the system says "Avatar Musical with non stop shots of glistening abs"

... yeah I would watch a Zack Snyder musical.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol

more musicals need glistening abs

In fact everything in life would be better with glistening abs

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

To get the abs to glisten you need to photoshop the body hairy away

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Turn your monitor on

This is embarrassing, both for yourself and everyone forced to scroll by it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sleeveless posted:

Turn your monitor on

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sleeveless posted:

So how many CD threads will you be streaking through while covered in your own feces?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Jesus posted:

I enjoyed the body horror elements in Alita. Always fun to see them in a family film.

It wouldn't take much to reframe Alita as a scifi horror film with Alita as the monster.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In the manga the big cyborg guy eats brains to get high.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The bits with doc hunting droids was sci-fi bloodborne

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain Jesus posted:

I enjoyed the body horror elements in Alita. Always fun to see them in a family film.

I grew up on Akira and Robocop and im fine

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Beavis's greatest failure was Batman and Superman fighting each other without first popping their shirts off

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FilthyImp posted:

The bits with doc hunting droids was sci-fi bloodborne

I was real on the fence when I sat down to watch it but the Doc character got me to commit the necessary buy in for what ended up being a good movie. The film was reeeaally fortunate to have what's his name elevating every scene he's in. He's not at all the only good thing in the movie but he's absolutely the reassurance you need if you show leery about watching an adaptation of an anime.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

It wouldn't take much to reframe Alita as a scifi horror film with Alita as the monster.

Someone needs to post those pages from the newest series where she's blendering through a hallway full of Martian riot cops with her Panzerkunst kicks

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Alita was fine and I enjoyed watching it, but I do not understand the extremely fervent following it has here.

The extremely blatant “see you in the sequel!” ending also felt like a giant middle finger to the audience for no reason. It could have easily had a satisfying conclusion if they hadn’t been so concerned with setting up a franchise that probably won’t even happen now.

I enjoyed Alita a lot but a lot of that was honesty how big dumb it was. Like the doctor’s hammer is a good example of it. It’s cool yeah, but he clearly struggles to use such an absurd weapon, and over and over I think “dude, just get a gun that thing is a bit much for you”. But it’s like, I don’t actually want him to get a gun, I want him to keep using the cool stupid hammer and get hype when he smashes a guy with it and laugh at how impractical it is. Blockbusters act so smart and clever nowadays and it was refreshing to see a movie where the hero walks into a bar full of people she doesn’t know in any way and makes this big impassioned speech to get everyone to hunt down this big lug she defeated with no issue the night before Alita wtf are you doing. And then no one gives a poo poo lol

I don’t really get why so much of the CD praise is so sincere but whatever, I’m the kind of person who will love something more if I can make fun of it relentlessly. That might be my biggest problem with Marvel movies tbh, there’s not really anything to make fun of. They leave me with nothing to say.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh, Charlie Heston is supposed to be Cannonball? His power set seems to have changed a little.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh, Charlie Heston is supposed to be Cannonball? His power set seems to have changed a little.

He should at least say "Ah'm nigh invulnerable when ah'm blastin'"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The eyes in the first Alita trailer didn't really bother me. It's science fiction, she's a robot, the toned down eyes they eventually went with looked fine too. Now if they'd set out to make a photo realistic person, ended up with that, and it wasn't a conscious stylistic choice that would be one thing, but it's not.

I have no familiarity with the franchise and went in expecting a decent movie based on good reviews. I ended up really liking it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

Someone needs to post those pages from the newest series where she's blendering through a hallway full of Martian riot cops with her Panzerkunst kicks

Ya but destroying cops is heroic

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Parasite is becoming a tv show.

quote:

Parasite, one of the most acclaimed movies of 2019, is heading to HBO as a limited series.

Bong Joon Ho, who wrote and directed the Palme d’Or winner and Oscar hopeful, is teaming with Adam McKay, whose recent work The Big Short and Vice earned him multiple award nominations.

Deals are not done, but talks are underway with HBO, which came out on top of a bidding war with Netflix for the rights.

It is unclear if the limited series will be some sort of follow-up to the movie or an English-language remake.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/adam-mckay-bong-joon-ho-teaming-parasite-limited-series-hbo-1268397

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm good with Adam McKay. He and Will Ferrell were able to make Jesse Armstrong's idea for Succession a reality, that show is loving amazing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Even if it’s a white family you can keep the Native American stuff in

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

This is it. You are unpleasant. You obviously do not like CineD. You only participate to be an rear end in a top hat. You are a constant poo poo-talker. You are a lazy headache. You show no signs of trying to be a better poster. I have talked to Admins. You are officially no longer welcome to post in any thread in CineD. If you post in any thread in CineD, you will be banned immediately.

:siren: Sleeveless is officially banned from participating in any thread in Cinema Discusso. If you see Sleeveless or any other Guy Mann alt account posting in CineD, report him immediately. :siren:

Sleeveless is going to eat a probation again, so this ban will go into effect after the probation ends.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1215432838620893184?s=20

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Well, that sucks. Guessing that the creative differences were that he wanted to dip more into high strangeness/cosmic horror and Marvel balked.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So, uh, anything good coming out this year?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Man after he attacked Scorsese about how Disney totally cared about characterization blah blah.. No loyalty.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Justin Kurzel's newest is gonna be a must for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAzi43pUqoY

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Some of the animated films coming out this year look pretty good.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Honey Boy looks pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch, Edgar Wright's Last Night in Soho, Makoto Shinkai's Weathering With You, wide release of Portrait of a Woman on Fire, Tenet, Villeneuve's Dune, and of course Doolittle.