Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just seems odd you are buying a thing you are trying to sell and don't know what the market you would sell it into looks like and what someone who would buy it looks like/what they would use it for/what it can be used for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

Just seems odd you are buying a thing you are trying to sell and don't know what the market you would sell it into looks like and what someone who would buy it looks like/what they would use it for/what it can be used for.

Don稚 try to bring sense into this! You will ruin everything!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

Fire trucks are an easy "this is going to be a fantastic, low mileage truck for not a lot of money" thing. I've never actually bought one because they never come with air conditioning, BUT the idea that everdave has merit. You get one that's a more normal truck (a typical bed rather than a specialized bed only good for hauling a hose on the side) to sell as a truck to be used that just happened to be a fire truck. There are some people that buy trucks that are really only good for being fire trucks and I'm not exactly sure why, and since that kei fire truck sold for 25 grand on Bring a Trailer recently the ~market~ has lost its mind and now everyone is trying to do that again.

Spec-wise they run the gamut. You get the tiny kei trucks that are either actual fire trucks with a pump and everything, or stuff like ones that seem to only be meant as a parade vehicle since they don't actually have any fire fighting equipment on board. You also get the giant 6 liter diesel monsters that are actual and real fire trucks that can't be used for anything else without some major work undoing the modifications.

Outside of the happens-to-be-a-former-fire-truck angle I don't know what people are buying JDM fire trucks for, besides now that one on BaT.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I look at that fire truck and immediately thing formula car hauler. I doubt the bed is even close to long enough and it's probably horrible on the interstate. Doesn't mean a thing it was used as a fire truck of some kind, it's just a cool low mile mini truck.

how long is that bed?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The ones I bid on are always ones with pumps and hoses and they'd take a fair bit of work to use for overlanding, but the two that Dave has purchased so far would undoubtedly be snatched up in a heartbeat by outdoorsmen out here in the mountains because they have covered beds.

ANY diesel truck sells like hotcakes out here, and if it's quad cab you can easily add 5000 usd to the price, bare minimum. People are paying 20 grand for beat-rear end cummins and 7.3s with 250k miles on them, so offer them a quad cab Japanese diesel with under 10k miles and the sky is kinda the limit, especially if it has a bed... That's how I see it, at least. I've been trying to buy a diesel truck for a while for hauling and overlanding and it's just impossible because they sell faster than I can get there.

I look at that Mazda he just bought and I see the perfect mountain bike shuttle vehicle.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 8, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Don't any of you have okay boomer parents with lots of expendable income in retirement and a driveway or garage that is far too big and whose spouses have effectively just become roommates and therefore their only friend is a japanese firetruck that craves attention?

I mean really...it even takes me, a responsible millennial, like 2-3 steps of logic to arrive at "yes this obscure Japanese camper was a good thing to buy".

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I saw that and immediately thought "that is the perfect track hauler for dirt bikes and sport bikes." As many have said, that thing is a dream setup for people with money for toys/hobbies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

There are some people that buy trucks that are really only good for being fire trucks and I'm not exactly sure why

Because they are useful to certain businesses. I've sold a bunch of fire trucks in my time (on behalf of fire companies I've been a part of). Many full on pumpers end up sitting in orange groves or cranberry fields and are part of the irrigation pumping system. There are no modifications necessary for this. Many smaller trucks end up as I said earlier: landscape companies, hydroseed companies, etc. They all use these things pretty much unmodified because they want a pump, a tank and a booster reel. And then you have smaller/rural/poor/expanding departments that buy old fire trucks to use as a fire truck. We had an 80s pumper for sale back in 05. Katrina hit. We loaded it back up with hoses and equipment and drove it halfway there to meet up with a rural coastal texas department that lost their entire fire house and everything in it and literally handed them a title and said good luck before jumping in the chief's truck and tearing rear end back home.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Motronic posted:

Because they are useful to certain businesses. I've sold a bunch of fire trucks in my time (on behalf of fire companies I've been a part of). Many full on pumpers end up sitting in orange groves or cranberry fields and are part of the irrigation pumping system. There are no modifications necessary for this. Many smaller trucks end up as I said earlier: landscape companies, hydroseed companies, etc. They all use these things pretty much unmodified because they want a pump, a tank and a booster reel. And then you have smaller/rural/poor/expanding departments that buy old fire trucks to use as a fire truck. We had an 80s pumper for sale back in 05. Katrina hit. We loaded it back up with hoses and equipment and drove it halfway there to meet up with a rural coastal texas department that lost their entire fire house and everything in it and literally handed them a title and said good luck before jumping in the chief's truck and tearing rear end back home.

Makes sense, I've just never seen where these JDM fire trucks end up besides in a museum situation after they are imported and sold.

There is this big bastard up for auction tonight:

7.5 liter Mitsubishi Fuso Fighter, 5 speed and big as hell. This one probably comes with the pump as it would be a part of the truck itself vs. sitting in the bed in the back like the smaller ones.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That one has been up a bunch. Once I知 clear I知 getting a big one to try to build an over landing rig out of and try for big bucks. One like that though with the pump not what I知 looking for. I was at a fire department today with the Hi Ace getting pics and preparing for BAT and they said they had a pumper that was listed on gov deals that no one will buy.

(Motronic trigger warning below)

The firemen FLIPPED OUT and loved it. Hard to get good pics at station bc of all their shadows taking pics and video. Couple of them drove it and wanted it bad. One guy gave me his # for when the Mazda arrives. Small town they know where I live I told them anytime stop by take some cars for a spin.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Makes sense, I've just never seen where these JDM fire trucks end up besides in a museum situation after they are imported and sold.

7.5 liter Mitsubishi Fuso Fighter, 5 speed and big as hell. This one probably comes with the pump as it would be a part of the truck itself vs. sitting in the bed in the back like the smaller ones.

The 7.5 is ridiculous. I've driven an 18-foot box-truck with that engine, it runs like a scalded dog. Hammer down on dry roads and it gets squirrely. Your load will be all over the floor, but it's stupid fun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I can't tell from the pics, but that looks like a resonably standard pumper. I don't know what a 7.5 liter mitsu puts out, but that would be an indication of the pump size. We run things north of 600 HP to reliably run a 2000 GPM pump, CAFS compressor and hydraulics. This makes for street performance that is hazardously excessive for a truck of that size and weight.

Also, that truck is set up for drafting (standing water). The rolls on either side of the rear are hard sleeve and even have strainers on them. Chances are good that truck could still put out fire.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Engine in that is still produced for some markets IIRC so parts are still around.

if anyone is ever legitimately in the market for a Fuso, PM me.

[edit] also that Prado rolling off a few pages back is likely somebody's personal car -- look for the Y on license plates, that means it's registered through a US military base and not through the prefecture. Things you learn living in the boonies near a Navy base.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 9, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh, question on that 7.5l fire truck: would something like that typically have a synchronized or unsyncronized transmission?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I need a goddamn manual for my Fargo and i don't care what language it's in.

Does Japan have a go-to for old vehicle repair manuals like Chilton, etc?

But while I'm at it...is there a European version of Chilton? This van was sold as the Vauxhall/Bedford/Isuzu Midi in Europe...

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 9, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Here is a nice small fire truck up today

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-aNV5UOOZZhRM2Wf.htm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

French Canadian posted:

But while I'm at it...is there a European version of Chilton? This van was sold as the Vauxhall/Bedford/Isuzu Midi in Europe...
Haynes, Autodata, Autobooks, Porter.

Looks like there's genuine ones floating around too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-VAU...dkAAOSw0ntcdlYn

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unf. That's a proper "Truck" (i.e. ladder truck with no pump/tank/nothing....just a ladder truck)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
A minty 92 GTR went for 15k because it was marked as a 2020 in the search engine. Wish I would have caught it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I have one of those that turns into Optimus Prime.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

A minty 92 GTR went for 15k because it was marked as a 2020 in the search engine. Wish I would have caught it.

drat. Thats why you always got to be looking, but I don't know how mint it was but you can get GTR's for around that price pretty regularly. Now in what shape that is a question. If it was minty and stock then that is a screamo of a deal.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's so clean and a 40m ladder would be useful....

I wish I had a reason to get it, I'm kinda smitten

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Haynes, Autodata, Autobooks, Porter.

Looks like there's genuine ones floating around too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-VAU...dkAAOSw0ntcdlYn

Thanks, that link gave me another angle to search on, though that manual is only for the 1.8 and 2.0 gas (I think). I have a 2.4L diesel. I messaged the seller.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 9, 2020

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

drat. Thats why you always got to be looking, but I don't know how mint it was but you can get GTR's for around that price pretty regularly. Now in what shape that is a question. If it was minty and stock then that is a screamo of a deal.

It was a 4 ,b,c.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Oh, question on that 7.5l fire truck: would something like that typically have a synchronized or unsyncronized transmission?

Synchronized manual, which they also sold in the US at the time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Exterior all done on the Soarer, just have the interior to deal with now. What a gorgeous car, truly.

And got the Mira's wheel covers repaired and repainted, need to get some new lugnuts, replace the bulb on the right foglight as it has burned out, and give it a good detail.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looking sweet!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think Miata nuts might fit the Daihatsu, and have the correct 21mm hex?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
THIS is the exact fire truck model I have in my head I am going to get to build into a massive balls to the wall overlanding rig and sell for big bucks

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2fyGOzhRvoEq1GL.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

drat there's like 5 firetrucks on there right now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

drat there's like 5 firetrucks on there right now.

More than that, probably 10 today. Some very nice. I am asking about one and another bucket truck.

Lots of VERY nice fire trucks and Hi Ace vans up today. Some not so nice but I feel could be bargain campers or camper convertible vehicles.

Definitely a fun day to look today despite being swamped at work.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

Exterior all done on the Soarer, just have the interior to deal with now. What a gorgeous car, truly.

That repainted bumper looks fantastic, they did a great job matching the paint.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I just bought a S210p Hijet Jumbo 4wd with power windows, air-conditioning, and diff lock for $1200. Still has it's shaken inspection stickers too, though it's rusty as hell. Has a California off-highway registration!

edit: S210 models are 4x100, so now I'm rocking my sweeeet factory G100 Charade alloys, its :perfect:

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 11, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That repainted bumper looks fantastic, they did a great job matching the paint.

The guy has been in the automotive paint industry for 25 years, worked for a Toyota dealership for 15 and now works for a GMC dealership. Now though he wants to start moving out on his own and we're one of his first customers under his new business. That bumper is a factory paint color match which is why it looks real nice. Now he's currently fixing the trim on our Corolla II.

DJ Commie posted:

I just bought a S210p Hijet Jumbo 4wd with power windows, air-conditioning, and diff lock for $1200. Still has it's shaken inspection stickers too, though it's rusty as hell. Has a California off-highway registration!

edit: S210 models are 4x100, so now I'm rocking my sweeeet factory G100 Charade alloys, its :perfect:

So where the hell are the pix???? Jumbos are rad as hell, competing with Deckvans for raddest kei trucks.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I rented a Honda S660 today outside of Tokyo and drove it to Twin Ring Motegi to visit the Honda Collection. It was loving Awesome! I知 probably going to have to buy a turbo Kei car when I get back to the US. First time driving on the wrong side was super easy too. I only turned the wipers on once on accident.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NinjaTech posted:

I rented a Honda S660 today outside of Tokyo and drove it to Twin Ring Motegi to visit the Honda Collection. It was loving Awesome! I知 probably going to have to buy a turbo Kei car when I get back to the US. First time driving on the wrong side was super easy too. I only turned the wipers on once on accident.
Omoshiro Rentacar? They have a good collection of stuff, definitely worth a go for any car guys visiting Japan.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NinjaTech posted:

Yesss, the white one? We are car eskimo brothers now 🤔

InitialDave posted:

Omoshiro Rentacar? They have a good collection of stuff, definitely worth a go for any car guys visiting Japan.

I'd avoid the purple R33 GTR though, it didn't feel right in boost (surging/fuel cut).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd avoid the purple R33 GTR though, it didn't feel right in boost (surging/fuel cut).
I'm not shocked, but in a way I like the, how shall we say, authentic experience on offer with some cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You've definitely got a point there :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

Yesss, the white one? We are car eskimo brothers now 🤔

That's pretty.