Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I just want enough money for a decent vocal/instrument recording booth and some professional sound treatment.

Okay, I'm lying. I'd totally build a floating room in my basement with its own conditioned power inputs, in addition to all of the above.

I mean, I'm not rich, but I plan to do that anyway. Not floating, but room within a room, baffled AC and separate breakers for that room.

Now if I hit the lottery, I'd pay someone else to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

Even the bigger players seem to be cashing in on the expensive cable game - http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp

Sure, its nicely built but US$499 for 1.5m of Cat5? Nice one, Denon.

Holy poo poo I've been posting in this thread for 10 years.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

Holy poo poo I've been posting in this thread for 10 years.

It's a good thread

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone post their earnest fuckawful setup and say "this seems like the best place to ask...". I'm jonesing bad here!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
don't tempt me into buying some ludicrous poo poo just for internet cred

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

2020 starts off with a bang as respected [but overhyped] speaker brand GoldenEar is purchased by The Quest Group, makers of Ridicule audiophiles thread classics like the seven thousand dollar ethernet cable.

quote:

When Don approached me several years ago to let me know that he wanted to retire, he tasked me with the challenge of finding the right business partner with which to join GoldenEar—one who understands who we are, what we do, and how we do it. The choice was clear: I have known Bill Low for almost 50 years, dating back to my first trip around the country to set up Polk distribution. Back then, Bill had a small high-end audio store in Portland, Oregon, and, as two fanatical audiophiles, we immediately hit it off and have been friends ever since. So, I enthusiastically approached Bill with the concept of bringing GoldenEar into The Quest Group, joining AudioQuest, and here we are today announcing that combination.

I very much want to continue with my lifelong work of creating great loudspeakers and bringing them to market. Don was the operational side of the business, and I believe that the operational strength within The Quest Group will be more than able to pick up the ball and charge ahead. I think that TQG’s capabilities will help us to create and structure an even more effective market presence, and, with their help and backing, I am confident that our sales team will grow and be able to offer even greater support to you, our dealers, distributors, and to your teams.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bonus content from AVS where I went to find that press release

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Those are disturbingly tenticular.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I wonder how much extra work it took to make half the speakers point at the ceiling

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ItBreathes posted:

Those are arousingly tenticular.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've heard some great line array systems, they were installed in venues about 20x the volume of that guy's living room and accompanied by subwoofers the size of compact cars.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm at CES this week so I'll post if I see anything especially funny

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'm at CES this week so I'll post if I see anything especially funny

We don't need to know every time you forget to turn your phone screen on.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

qirex posted:

This is probably pretty good, and possibly even a DIY build. It’s a CBT array, designed by Don Keele, who pretty much invented a lot of the horn maths that is the fundamental basis of speakers at all levels of audio, studio to professionally reproduction. It’s almost the complete opposite of audio woo, although it does look ridiculous.

Nice chap too. I went to a panel with him and some other industry greats at an AES conference. I seriously doubt any of the audiophile bullshit posted in this thread has any members anywhere near the loving Audio Engineering Society because that is the textbook definition of nerds doing peer review analysis of measured data and hypothesis.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

For those of you that listen to music hung from the ceiling at the back of the room...

*edit this whole setup is nuts. The screen is pitched down towards a sofa I imagine so why are there a dozen drivers pointed above the heads of everyone on it? The only way I can make this make sense is if they're trying to flog these as an all in one L/R and ceiling reflect Atmos speakers. Even then there's better ways to do it with a lot less drivers. Literally over half of those drivers and tweeters are pointing over the head of anyone sat down :psyduck:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 4, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think I've seen that design before atmos existed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit this whole setup is nuts. The screen is pitched down towards a sofa I imagine so why are there a dozen drivers pointed above the heads of everyone on it?

I am not a line array expert but I think that sort of curved line array existed for real acoustic reasons but in much larger venues i.e. not a living room with 7 or 8 foot ceilings.

Non curved line arrays exist also, of course.

av123 started producing some line arrays (the LS6 and LS9 IIRC) before the CEO went to prison for charity and/or business fraud.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Pro tip - line arrays do not work as you would think when you look at the aiming of the individual components, and certainly not at all frequencies or angles.

They should also be infinitely long to behave as a pure line source, and made of components infinitely small that can play all frequencies at equal magnitude and coverage angles.

Whilst it may ‘look’ wrong that curved array, based on Don Keele’s data - which is some 70 years in the making by the way - is a direct attempt to address the issues inherent in a straight vertical line of differently sized and spaced components.

Others do this with shitloads of DSP channels and a dedicated amplifier channel per component.

https://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/CBT.php

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Keele%20-%20Introduction%20to%20CBT%20Loudspeaker%20Arrays.pdf

It might also interest you that these parents are one of the big reasons Samsung bought Harmon.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What does Don’s data say about a 6.8’ tall line source in a 7’ tall room

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So today I received a call from a close friend who knows how hard I am into this hobby. When I answered the phone I could barely understand a word he was saying because he was so excited. He just kept saying "what are you doing, where are you, can I come over, I need to show you something." He wouldn't tell me what it was he just insisted he needed to come over and show me. So I said yeah come on over and let's see what's got you so hyped up? So he gets here and he says to me "Bro! You ready to hear the craziest, best, most insane sound you'll ever hear in a pair of headphones?" I chuckled to myself and said "sure why not? Let's see what you got?" So he pulls out from his backpack a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-M50X's 🤦. He says to me "I bet you've never heard a pair of these have you?" Now I understand everyone's ears are different and to each their own. If you like the m50x's then more power to you I can respect that. Me personally I never could understand the hype around them but it is what it is. So anyways, I decided to play along and I said with as straight a face I could "no Ethan I've never heard of these (😏🙄) let me give em a listen." I threw them on and played a few tracks (as long as I could bare) then took them off and as to not break his little heart I said "yeah man those are tight you got yourself something pretty nice good for you. I'm about to open your eyes to a whole new world now. Check these out." I then proceeded to sit him down and let him listen to everything I had that I thought would blow his mind. The entire ZMF lineup, Hifiman Arya, Susvara, HE1000 v2, Abyss Diana Phi, Focal Clear, Utopia, Elex, Sony MDRZ1R, Denon AHD-9200, Audeze LCD 3, LCD 4, LCD-MX4, LCD-24 Special Edition, RAD-0, Meze Empyrean, Fostex TH900mk2, TH-909, Monolith m1070, m1570, Sennheiser HD 800s, HD 600, HD 650, Audiotechnica ADX5000, Beyerdynamic T1 & T5p 2nd Gen's, Kennerton Vali, Odin, Thror and the list goes on and on. We sat there for about 3 hours going through at least 50-60 pairs of some of the most popular and high end headphones you could think of. One after the next he sat there dead faced looking at me saying "nahh bro these (his m50x) are better." I thought maybe it was just his pride or maybe he was just trying to convince himself he didn't need or want anything I showed him to save himself from spending money he didn't have. So just in case I offered him any set he listened to from my collection for free. Yes you read that right. I offered him any pair he wanted for free. Just so I could hear him take back his words that he thought the m50x were Legitimately better than anything I had showed him. At this point I think it's my pride I'm trying to salvage lol. He refused my offer and said "nah bro I'm serious I'm all set with these. I like these more than all of those you showed me." He was serious to I could tell he really thought that. So I looked him right in the face and as Stone cold as ever I said "get the f*** out of my house." SMH the balls on this guy I tell ya......

E: for anyone not following along at home that's like a hundred grand worth of headphones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe they sounded bad because you'd hosed and cumed all in those headphones you love.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Was that a real post or a parody or maybe dream?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

At least he came out with his dignity intact.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Source ur quots

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

Unfortunately very real, dude posts regular photos of all the above and often effortposts like this

Facebook group, let me find it again with hidden personal info. Dont dont want to dox. I just couldn't handle the "get the gently caress out of my house" to his "close friend" who genuinely was happy to show him something he loved

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Unfortunately very real, dude posts regular photos of all the above and often effortposts like this

Facebook group, let me find it again with hidden personal info. Dont dont want to dox. I just couldn't handle the "get the gently caress out of my house" to his "close friend" who genuinely was happy to show him something he loved

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

What does Don’s data say about a 6.8’ tall line source in a 7’ tall room

It’s pretty much the textbook definition of the theory, very clearly described, simulated and mapped in the drat presentation. Full extension to a ground or ceiling plane is desirable.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

So today I received a call from a close friend who knows how hard I am into this hobby. When I answered the phone I could barely understand a word he was saying because he was so excited. He just kept saying "what are you doing, where are you, can I come over, I need to show you something." He wouldn't tell me what it was he just insisted he needed to come over and show me. So I said yeah come on over and let's see what's got you so hyped up? So he gets here and he says to me "Bro! You ready to hear the craziest, best, most insane sound you'll ever hear in a pair of headphones?" I chuckled to myself and said "sure why not? Let's see what you got?" So he pulls out from his backpack a pair of Audiotechnica ATH-M50X's 🤦. He says to me "I bet you've never heard a pair of these have you?" Now I understand everyone's ears are different and to each their own. If you like the m50x's then more power to you I can respect that. Me personally I never could understand the hype around them but it is what it is. So anyways, I decided to play along and I said with as straight a face I could "no Ethan I've never heard of these (😏🙄) let me give em a listen." I threw them on and played a few tracks (as long as I could bare) then took them off and as to not break his little heart I said "yeah man those are tight you got yourself something pretty nice good for you. I'm about to open your eyes to a whole new world now. Check these out." I then proceeded to sit him down and let him listen to everything I had that I thought would blow his mind. The entire ZMF lineup, Hifiman Arya, Susvara, HE1000 v2, Abyss Diana Phi, Focal Clear, Utopia, Elex, Sony MDRZ1R, Denon AHD-9200, Audeze LCD 3, LCD 4, LCD-MX4, LCD-24 Special Edition, RAD-0, Meze Empyrean, Fostex TH900mk2, TH-909, Monolith m1070, m1570, Sennheiser HD 800s, HD 600, HD 650, Audiotechnica ADX5000, Beyerdynamic T1 & T5p 2nd Gen's, Kennerton Vali, Odin, Thror and the list goes on and on. We sat there for about 3 hours going through at least 50-60 pairs of some of the most popular and high end headphones you could think of. One after the next he sat there dead faced looking at me saying "nahh bro these (his m50x) are better." I thought maybe it was just his pride or maybe he was just trying to convince himself he didn't need or want anything I showed him to save himself from spending money he didn't have. So just in case I offered him any set he listened to from my collection for free. Yes you read that right. I offered him any pair he wanted for free. Just so I could hear him take back his words that he thought the m50x were Legitimately better than anything I had showed him. At this point I think it's my pride I'm trying to salvage lol. He refused my offer and said "nah bro I'm serious I'm all set with these. I like these more than all of those you showed me." He was serious to I could tell he really thought that. So I looked him right in the face and as Stone cold as ever I said "get the f*** out of my house." SMH the balls on this guy I tell ya......

E: for anyone not following along at home that's like a hundred grand worth of headphones

LOL

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LRADIKAL posted:

It might be all three.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Neurophonic posted:

Pro tip - line arrays do not work as you would think when you look at the aiming of the individual components, and certainly not at all frequencies or angles.

They should also be infinitely long to behave as a pure line source, and made of components infinitely small that can play all frequencies at equal magnitude and coverage angles.

I read his presentation and the real life applications of his designs were just deployed as J arrays. The guy has just designed a J (or C if you want to be pedantic) array using smaller drivers. His work was based around getting really good pattern control which is cool but his findings still show that a line array works how we've always understood them; drivers effectively coupling and projecting audio very well within the height of the array no matter it being a flat, J or C. They're just using passive power shading to turn the drivers at the extreme of the cabinet wayyyy down instead of active shading.

And that bolded bit is always the rub isn't it? If we had drivers capable of the impossible then the audio world would be very different.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Courtesy of Reddit:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
God drat! That is a lot of caps.
That all reads like a bunch of audiophile mumbo jumbo but the fact of the matter is that he's not particularly incorrect.
Capacitors in the signal path affect sound. That's why they're part of passive speaker crossovers.

Different capacitors affect sound differently, but that's mostly attributable to the caps values or type of cap.

quote:

Using different caps in different places throughout the crossover can help you achieve the sonic character you are after. It's just like cooking, a bit of pepper here, a pinch a salt there, etc. Try to obtain the blend of sound that matches your hi-fi system, personal taste and budget the best.
This is also not wrong. It sounds like bullshit, but essentially what he is saying is "you can build a crossover to make your speakers sound different."

"Better" is really subjective though. It entirely depends on what you're trying to achieve. For example I built new crossovers for a pair of Minimus 7's to flatten out the frequency response. It worked great and they are much flatter across the spectrum than they used to be. WAY less efficient now, but much flatter. But, if you A/B them with a pair of unmodified ones they sound much different, as expected. Some people would say they sound like crap, some people might like them more.

Now this...

quote:

In the past capacitors were just capacitors and sound quality was determined by the dialectric material with polypropylene considered by many as "the best" seeing as this type of capacitor had the lowest losses. But technology of the 21st century has brought us new measuring techniques and insights and there seems to be more to it. We can now measure things that were not possible a few years ago. In a nut-shell: microphony is the keyword - the mechanical resonance, a key feature of audio capacitors. This is a physical deformation of the capacitor plates which occurs as a result of the audio signal passing through the component, in some ways like how an electrostatic speaker works. This resonance is dependent on the size, shape, materials and manufacturing parameters of the capacitors.

...is some bullshit. Yes the laws of physics are observed and "mechanical resonance" is a thing but it is not a "key feature" of capacitors. It's also not going to affect the audible spectrum in any meaningful way.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just searched google for what to fill speaker stands with and there’s some funny stuff about resonances with different fill material. Apparently, if you put a stethoscope up to the speaker stand you can measure for resonances or some such poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jascum posted:

Just searched google for what to fill speaker stands with and there’s some funny stuff about resonances with different fill material. Apparently, if you put a stethoscope up to the speaker stand you can measure for resonances or some such poo poo.

Just pour in hot lead like everyone else.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was going to agree with charlie but I thought they posted 'cum' not lead.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is playground sand expensive??

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Audiophile grade or kid grade?

One is less than $5 for 40 pounds. The other is $10 per grain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Damned kids always wanting the most expensive things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wasabi the J posted:

Is playground sand expensive??

I’m gonna steal some from the neighbor kid’s sandbox. I guess I just need to sieve the cat poo poo out of it, right?