Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
A retweet caught my attention and I spent nearly an hour learning about the "chemical coridor" AKA cancer alley.
Spanning the river from Baton Rouge to New Orleans there are hundreds of petro-chemical and plastic plants right beside dense urban area's.
Turns out the law only sets out a legal minimum of 500ft distance between housing and industry zones.
Just go follow the river on google maps between the two cities and look at just how terrible it is. Hell even when you get into the large cities there are massive plants in the densest zones too. :chloe:
There have been dozens of chemical releases over the past several decades which covered entire neighborhoods. All covered up of course and the locals are rarely notified until they find it hard to breathe.

https://twitter.com/UrbanFoxxxx/status/1214905313075302404
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/07/louisiana-formosa-plastics-facility-air-quality-permits-cancer-alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I drove through there one time, actually smells better than the French Quarter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And yet there's not more actual cancer in Cancer Alley than in the rest of the state. Louisiana has a cancer rate higher than the national average but it's probably because so many people smoke.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Sammus posted:

I’m a Mining Engineer with a decent history in the field. If you don’t give a gently caress what’s under there and I have a decent budget for equipment (2 good sized front end loaders and a handful of large (300ton) haul trucks) and you don’t care where I put the dirt, it can be done in under a week. But that’s just to make a big rear end hole in loose dirt. If after I mine the top flat it becomes stone, I’ll need at least another day to drill and shoot it.

If you care about what’s down there and don’t want it completely destroyed in the process, I can’t answer that but from my experience, it’ll take years.

I'll do you one even better, not only do i not give a gently caress, it would actually improve the moral fabric of the world to totally erase everything in the area. also, haulage is needless, as tailings can be disposed of on site :getin:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Mississippi River chemical plants are way down the list of things loving poor people in Louisiana.
1. Police and sheriffs. Obvious but there's some off the charts good old boyism that means they can get away with more then the very publicised LAPD/NYPD etc
2. Louisiana has some of the worst drinking water infrastructure you can imagine in a modern country. Brain amoebas from showering. A lot of rural areas have what is weak bleach coming out of the taps because it's all they can do to avoid brain amoebas and giardia with undersized treatment equipment and leaky pipes.
3. I guess the river chemical plants, but you really need to worry about the swamp ones more. There's a well equipped department of environmental quality that banks on the giant companies paying fines as a corrupt price of business. The river being big and muddy and not instantly noxious is a big tourist draw so it's the closest thing to a sacred cow and you'll pay out your nose for anything egregious. It won't stop you but it can get expensive. You need to worry about the fly by night waste processors and such that dump bullshit in the swamp and just leave the state when it becomes obvious. They're an organ related to the river chemical plants but they aren't the big obvious hunks of metal on the river.

For your next trick, look up Baytown and assorted surburbs on the bay and Buffalo Bayou Texas. Almost makes the zoning in Baton Rouge and New Orleans look sane.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Baytown's got The Chute. That's all I know about Baytown.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/0OMU5ik.gifv

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Do not stand under the load. Never stand under the load.

My first time booming a truss package onto a second floor, we found out after we got the package landed that the boom truck operator's cable had busted about 1/3 through. I was on a ladder helping to land one side of the package and would have been crushed if the cable had failed while landing the trusses.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Wife and I did a week in New Orleans last year for our tenth anniversary. A+ would do it again. This shot was from the Natchez cruise, I wonder what chemicals went through there in its heyday!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

devmd01 posted:

Wife and I did a week in New Orleans last year for our tenth anniversary. A+ would do it again. This shot was from the Natchez cruise, I wonder what chemicals went through there in its heyday!

An interesting story

https://www.nola.com/archive/article_f4ccd842-cc21-5c74-b229-d7ec377c6af2.html
https://abandonedsoutheast.com/2017/04/30/naval-complex/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

Do not stand under the load. Never stand under the load.

A million times this. Also never touch a suspended load with any part of your body (Only use a hands-off safety tool instead). When I was off-shore a few years ago I saw a dude get his hand crushed between a suspended load and a railing. poo poo was messy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1HAelGW.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVYOEi2zMU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

In the 70's, I saw so many 75-77 Buick Apollos (Nova clones) that dog-tracked like that. They had to have come that way from the factory.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crosswinds are a hell of a thing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I'll do you one even better, not only do i not give a gently caress, it would actually improve the moral fabric of the world to totally erase everything in the area. also, haulage is needless, as tailings can be disposed of on site :getin:

Wheel-bucket excavator with the conveyor belt dumping into a nuclear furnace or something?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Me in My Summer Car when I swear I know how the wheel alignment works by sight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a feature.

“Blindspot reduction”

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't change lanes in an intersection.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Marcade posted:

What food uses hydrogen as a flavor enhancer? A hindenburger?

:golfclap:

Phanatic posted:

And yet there's not more actual cancer in Cancer Alley than in the rest of the state. Louisiana has a cancer rate higher than the national average but it's probably because so many people smoke.

They die of outright chemical exposure long before the cancer even has a chance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

M-Multi-lane drifting?!?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/TpytE9b.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That is some huge brass balls level of flying.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

AAAAAAA

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i dont really ever want to be in the military but god drat when I see air fire fighting or bush pilots doing poo poo like that do i wish i had the experience the military woulda given me for free to be good enough to do that poo poo

...is there a private sector/non military way to get there?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imagine being a fish getting pulled into a firefighting bomber

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You just need to spend $$$ to do it on your own dime. It's expensive, but it's also fun, and it's not really that much more expensive than many other hobbies. You never really forget the first time you leave the ground.

There's an aviation thread in A/T with a good mix of commercial pilots, flight instructors, and private pilots/enthusiasts, if you wanted to know more.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You could also get a job as a "sky cowboy" and herd cattle.

Their skillset is even more insane than firefighting pilots.

Also - that video of the helicopter moving cut logs from a forest to a waiting truck which was baller as hell.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

That all seems like poo poo I would want to have 1000s of hours of flying under my belt before even thinking about doing the role for real

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also - that video of the helicopter moving cut logs from a forest to a waiting truck which was baller as hell.

Yes! I want to make a video game with like bf2 style copter controls and it's just Xmas tree delivery pilot with a bunch of levels moving trees around.

Also a couple levels would be the sky cowboy stuff herding cattle around and stuff.

But that's all vidya game bs. Wanna do it in real life. poo poo, this would have been alot easier to do if I had a trust fund

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Proteus Jones posted:

That is some huge brass balls level of flying.

I’m surprised it can fly at all with the CG so far forward.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wonder if SimCopter has been ported to work on Windows 10...

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

PainterofCrap posted:

In the 70's, I saw so many 75-77 Buick Apollos (Nova clones) that dog-tracked like that. They had to have come that way from the factory.

Reminded me that the answer was given in an ancient Straight Dope article.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/561/why-do-some-cars-seem-to-drive-down-the-road-sideways/

quote:

"Older Novas and Omegas, as well as Pontiac Venturas and Buick Apollos, are vulnerable to an embarrassing defect that involves misalignment of the rear axle. In the center of each spring there’s a locator pin that’s supposed to fit into a hole in the axle assembly and keep it lined up properly. Unfortunately, the pins have an annoying tendency to shear off, whereupon the axle slips out of parallel and the car heads around in a circle. To overcome this, the driver has to keep the front wheels turned in the opposite direction, with the result that he heads down the road sidesaddle. This problem was most common in Novas from the mid-70s; supposedly some cars were already goofed up when they left the factory. GM, for its part, says, 'Don’t consider this a manufacturing problem.'"

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

In which some Russians make an AMG rim using a steelie and some square stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY0_uYO8jk

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

KoRMaK posted:

Yes! I want to make a video game with like bf2 style copter controls and it's just Xmas tree delivery pilot with a bunch of levels moving trees around.

Also a couple levels would be the sky cowboy stuff herding cattle around and stuff.

But that's all vidya game bs. Wanna do it in real life. poo poo, this would have been alot easier to do if I had a trust fund

I remember someone made an Arma3 competitive multiplayer map where two teams had to sling load objects into their storage area from a large field. The flight model in Arma is not the most sophisticated, but it's complicated enough to make this mode really fun.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-737max-idUSKBN1Z902N

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

*honk* *hoooooonk*

https://i.imgur.com/opjWG0n.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm the person who is pushed on the gangway after the boat has come off the pier

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aw ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I like how people run away in a path parallel to the ship's travel. Like just turn right dude.