Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

I will watch the show, and then form an opinion on it, is my plan.

My issue is it's 10 episodes and I really don't want to pay for more than 2 months of All-Access at a go. There are other things I want to watch on there right now ("No Activity", finish up "Strange Angel"), but i'm not sure it's enough. I'm torn by my desire to see Patrick Stewart play Picard again and my refusal to spend more than $20 to do so.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watch Evil too.

I have very poor subscription discipline, I think I've had an active CBS AA account for months and I barely use it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bong Joon-Ho and Adam McKay are making a Parasite limited series for HBO, holy poo poo

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:The countdown has begun in the Eighth Annual TVIV top 10 Poll I'll be back in about 4 hours and 40mins to reveal the rest of the list (which I think is 9PM PST).:siren:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

Is there any genre other than sci-fi where fanboys building the narrative that the creator of a work not only had nothing to do with its quality and success but was actively detrimental on every level is so widespread and accepted.

I mean Mormons write fantasy, so you can draw the same bow there.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

bull3964 posted:

My issue is it's 10 episodes and I really don't want to pay for more than 2 months of All-Access at a go. There are other things I want to watch on there right now ("No Activity", finish up "Strange Angel"), but i'm not sure it's enough. I'm torn by my desire to see Patrick Stewart play Picard again and my refusal to spend more than $20 to do so.

Couldn't you wait a couple episodes and then join at a point where you wouldn't have to pay more than 1 month for the service? I mean the episodes aren't going to be unavailable after they air

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aces High posted:

Couldn't you wait a couple episodes and then join at a point where you wouldn't have to pay more than 1 month for the service? I mean the episodes aren't going to be unavailable after they air

Well, I could, it just runs counter to my anticipation of the return of Picard to the screen and I'll have to avoid spoilers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Picard short trek is out. Just some backstory. Nothing critical, but a tad bit interesting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Picard short trek is out. Just some backstory. Nothing critical, but a tad bit interesting.

Looks good though, i know nothing about Picard other than Number 1, make it so, Lt. Warf and apparently i thought Will Wheaton was Riker.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rocksicles posted:

Looks good though, i know nothing about Picard other than Number 1, make it so, Lt. Warf and apparently i thought Will Wheaton was Riker.

Jesus gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Good god

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rocksicles posted:

and apparently i thought Will Wheaton was Riker.

:yikes:

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Arist posted:

Bong Joon-Ho and Adam McKay are making a Parasite limited series for HBO, holy poo poo

What?

I... Is... what... Is it gonna be a direct adaptation, some kind of re-engineering? A thematic continuation?

What?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Jesus gently caress.

zoux posted:

Good god

Poke your fun jerks.

But while you lot were next generationing i was doing lots of drugs and loose women.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK2ZGOsbeqo
Trailer for HBOs documentary series about the McDonalds Monopoly scam. This is the one where an inside man was subverting the process and had a group of people winning the big ticket items every year with no chance for an average person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Poke your fun jerks.

But while you lot were next generationing i was doing lots of drugs and loose women.

Okay boomer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Poke your fun jerks.

I was 12

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I was 12

When TNG began or ended? What are you 50 or something? How's that AARP membership treating you?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
If Picard doesn't address the most insidious conspiracy in the Star Trek universe that was dropped and then never mentioned again, then what is even the point?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

el oso posted:

If Picard doesn't address the most insidious conspiracy in the Star Trek universe that was dropped and then never mentioned again, then what is even the point?

Good ol’ Meatloaf Head

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was rumored to be part of the plot when the show entered production!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When TNG began or ended? What are you 50 or something? How's that AARP membership treating you?

I guess I was 7 when it came out, but it ran in syndication you know

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whatever geezer.

[skates away like cool youths do]

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

el oso posted:

This episode was very forward thinking in depicting a future where people would eat insects for protein.

I also like how it handwaves away the fact they couldn't pay for an extras to fill the enormous empty Starfleet setpieces.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's kind of hosed up that the nature of Federation phasers was to peel the skin off your face before exploding your head, weren’t like, disruptors a war crime or something

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Alright, countdown poll is live
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

Trailer for HBOs documentary series about the McDonalds Monopoly scam. This is the one where an inside man was subverting the process and had a group of people winning the big ticket items every year with no chance for an average person.

Oh sweet, I had no idea this was coming but that story is a riot. I’m in.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
6 parts though?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wait, what?

All those years of buying chicken nuggets for nothing :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, reading the article about that in 2018 was a wild ride. Definitely looking forward to this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1215340830417752069?s=20

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa

theblackw0lf posted:

This looks really good.

From Alex Garland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoNloYTsH0Y

Oops just found the new thread.

Yeah this looks loving cool.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They region-locked the trailer. :psyduck:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
gently caress yeah I'm tentatively all in on Devs

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm getting some OA vibes from that

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So this semester was pretty busy and I been catching up on shows over the break. So far I've hit:
The Mandalorian
Watchmen
Dracula

Any thing else really solid come out that I might have missed?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Some solid recommendations in the TVIV poll

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

-Blackadder- posted:

So this semester was pretty busy and I been catching up on shows over the break. So far I've hit:
The Mandalorian
Watchmen
Dracula

Any thing else really solid come out that I might have missed?

CHERNOBYL!!!!!

Also The Terror from last year, if you haven't.

Just work backwards through Jared Harris's filmography...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Medical Police is up on Netflix. The sequel to Children's Hospital.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Croatoan posted:

Did you watch the UK version? I loved season 1 but they changed it to where it sucked in season 2. It was way more like Big Brother the second time around. I don't have that much time to dedicate to a reality show. I wonder how the Netflix version stacks up.

I have, in Season 1, they found the person catfishing as the girlfriend winning meant they needed to do more "catfishing" for Season 2, and the fact it was live-to-air (and Emma giving audience control of the game) made it interactive, but I felt that took away from the core mechanic.

But they did enjoy how they changed the voting system, Season 1's 1-5 star system was broken, while Season 2's "Rank List" made it more fair.

US Rules lean more towards Season 2, complete with "eccentric personalities" but it was pre-recorded so audience has no involvement to the show, not even an "audience favorite" prize.

Much like Season 2, they got a bunch of people doing the catfishing, somebody brought their mom, and they did the "influencers save" elimination recently. but other than that. Same as it was.

But from what I am seeing around the internet - people are falling in love with the show, and it's a guilty pleasure format because of the "MESSAGE, omg that's hilarious laughing face emoji AND SEND" responses.

And at least when it comes to the US Audiences, it sounds like they are treating "Honest/Catfish" as the "Hero/Villain" element. Disliking most Catfishes (except for when they commentate) and liking everybody as themselves. (Shuban and Joey are favorites, while others are forcing the flirting and the catfishing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-m4gFdrQ8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many of yall have this aunt
https://twitter.com/mikesbloggity/status/1215468184611934208

e: also lol Guy Mann caught two week long probations in the same day in two entirely separate forums and is now banned from CD completely. Can we do that too

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 10, 2020