Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Sam Harris is really great if you're in to meditation, and also Islamophobia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Oh right, Bill Burr, not Bill Hicks

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Abongination posted:

Oh right, Bill Burr, not Bill Hicks

ahhhhhhhhhhh kk makes more sense

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I like Bill Burr's standup but his podcast irritates me and a good number of his fans are garbage (like Rogan's fans).

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I don't like any comedian who's schtick is that they're an utter rear end in a top hat

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Abongination posted:

Giving these people a platform will for sure lead to people with poor critical thinking getting radicalised.

That is not a problem with the platform, it is a problem wih people who cannot think critically.

Advocating for someone you subjectively think does not think the right way to be denied a platform because stupid people exist is a very slippery slope, comrade.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

100% of nazis should be deplatformed you idiot

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mzuri posted:

Advocating for someone you subjectively think does not think the right way to be denied a platform because stupid people exist is a very slippery slope, comrade.

"gently caress nazis, deplatform them"

Oh ho ho, so you're saying someone who likes a different pie from you should be silenced?

"No, I want nazis deplatformed."

Oh wow, now you want people silenced who disagree with you on civic design aesthetics banned?!

"gently caress off, if you can't just tell nazis to shut the gently caress up and get out"

Gotcha, for now you have told me to shut up, proving you don't just dislike nazis!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mzuri posted:

That is not a problem with the platform, it is a problem wih people who cannot think critically.

Lemme go get my skis then

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mzuri posted:

Deplatforming someone is not the same as silencing them, gently caress off with this concern trolling poo poo.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I saw someone on SA describe Rogan as "Oprah, for Bros" and that seems to cover it. Any talk show person is going to platform harmful people to some extent, that's how we got Drs. Oz and Phil.

I've watched a few of his interviews and yeah, he seems like Oprah for Bros. I don't understand why he in particular gets so much more flak than the others. Is he platforming Nazis to a greater extent than all other talk show hosts? Is it because he has connected young Nazis with disaffected young men? Ellen decorum-ed her way out the hubbub for sitting at a baseball game with GW, Fallon tousled Trump's hair and is still on every night.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He has a knack for making the dumbest people you know feel like they're actually really smart. The secret knowledge they think they possess as listeners of his show is all dumb and/harmful bullshit, and it all feels really culty. Same sort of feeling you get from the kind of morons who listen to shockjocks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Both above posts are true.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

He also has (had? I don’t know if My Favorite Murder has beaten his numbers because they’re also problematic as hell for different reasons) the number one podcast in the world. So the signal boosting he’s able to give the fash trash is immense. Every single like, subscribe, and play he gets on any of his episodes helps to support that, no matter what the specific episode you’re listening to is.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Fister Roboto posted:

Deplatforming someone is not the same as silencing them, gently caress off with this concern trolling poo poo.

I am not trolling, I just have an opinion that is not in line with yours. Do you see the problem with your rhetoric of oppressive tolerance?

e: awful app acting up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
What in the absolute gently caress

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yeah, they're trolling.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sarern posted:

I saw someone on SA describe Rogan as "Oprah, for Bros" and that seems to cover it. Any talk show person is going to platform harmful people to some extent, that's how we got Drs. Oz and Phil.

I've watched a few of his interviews and yeah, he seems like Oprah for Bros. I don't understand why he in particular gets so much more flak than the others. Is he platforming Nazis to a greater extent than all other talk show hosts? Is it because he has connected young Nazis with disaffected young men? Ellen decorum-ed her way out the hubbub for sitting at a baseball game with GW, Fallon tousled Trump's hair and is still on every night.

It's probably because Rogan does a lot of podcasts and youtube videos, whereas Ellen and Fallon are on legacy media and most people that feel strongly about deplatforming nazis don't have cable subscriptions at the same rate that older people do.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Old white dudes are jealous of Ellen over Portia. Boomers now love Ellen because she's got a hot blonde wife. Now they just think of Ellen as someone harmless and lacking balls, like Michael Cera.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's really just an odd bug of YouTube's algorithm for Joe Rogan clips ("the good ones") always signs you up for three months of Ben Shapiro OWNING libs with FACTS and PragerU hate speech in your recs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're on legacy media but a load of their engagement, especially dipshit Fallon, is through clips on YouTube.

Here's how I'd rank the three from best to worst.

Ellen is an older out of touch rich person who doesn't get why she shouldn't be palling around with people like Bush.

Fallon is a loving coward who thinks he deserves universal love and acclaim for doing dumb little skits. He is happy to suck up to mainstream lovely people like Donnie for attention. He's also a weak little bitch who did some delicious whining about how maybe he should just kill himself after the hair tussling incident. I'm not going to feel the least bit bad when he eventually succumbs to alcohol poisoning.

Rogan is the Platonic ideal of every moron stoner I've ever known. He gave a platform to tons of lovely people from the fringe who otherwise would have passed through this world without notice. His fans are loving morons who are honestly lower on the totem pole than people who bought Chive shirts.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Wasabi the J posted:

It's really just an odd bug of YouTube's algorithm for Joe Rogan clips ("the good ones") always signs you up for three months of Ben Shapiro OWNING libs with FACTS and PragerU hate speech in your recs.

If I click one of YouTube's auto playlists based on anything at all, including synthwave playlists or a music performance I was listening to, somewhere 10+ entries down the list it starts into those videos.

Doesn't matter that I've never watched Peterson or Shapiro, or that I always tell it to remove those recommendations. The algorithm wants that sweet, sweet engagement, I guess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Outside of the PragerU poo poo that everybody gets bombarded with the most insulted I've ever been by a YouTube ad was one for a strip club in Downtown Minneapolis. It just looked loving seedy and I felt like I got Hep C just from seeing it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sarern posted:

If I click one of YouTube's auto playlists based on anything at all, including synthwave playlists or a music performance I was listening to, somewhere 10+ entries down the list it starts into those videos.

Doesn't matter that I've never watched Peterson or Shapiro, or that I always tell it to remove those recommendations. The algorithm wants that sweet, sweet engagement, I guess.

I'm saying it's a lot of eye-opening insights to the white kid world you're not actually engaged with.

They see a Joe Rogan clip, see a Nazi telling them there's a reason they're miserable, watch a few hundred videos all self recommending other hate speech, now they're voting for Trump for Kekistan.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's not like I was present when 4Chan started /pol/ and watched dozens of IRC kids self radicalize shortly thereafter, and start more violent and misanthropic message boards when any moderation was conducted.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 10, 2020

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Smiling Jack posted:

He did.post here, why I brought it up. Had some great pictures. Retired now I think.

I don't recall him from USENET, but it was a big place from 1993 on.

Zeno was awesome.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Internet Wizard posted:

He also has (had? I don’t know if My Favorite Murder has beaten his numbers because they’re also problematic as hell for different reasons) the number one podcast in the world. So the signal boosting he’s able to give the fash trash is immense. Every single like, subscribe, and play he gets on any of his episodes helps to support that, no matter what the specific episode you’re listening to is.

What the hell did my favourite murder do?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Chiwie posted:

What the hell did my favourite murder do?

Profit off of laughing about the worst thing that can happen to somebody? Gleefully admitting they don’t bother putting in the amount of research and consideration they feel they should? Advocate for red flag laws and locking people up forever for minor infractions just in case they do something worse later (mostly Georgia).

I listened to them for a while but got gradually more and more disgusted every time they’d laugh and joke about how they didn’t even bother doing enough research, let alone laughing and joking about actual murders.

Like, Last Podcast on the Left jokes and profits from human misery a lot too but at least they do their due diligence on the research end of things. Their terminal levels of bro energy are painful though

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I deal with horrific violent crime for a living. It's absolutely devastating to most involved.

I have never understood people who see it as entertainment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Back when I started my job a few years ago we sat over by some young women who listened to true crime podcasts all day long, and would often talk loudly about whatever horrific rape or murder story they were listening to at the moment. The rest of the time they'd talk about The Bachelor. We gave up our nice view for one of a brick wall to get away from them. I can't imagine wallowing in that poo poo all day.

My grandma is in a pretty nice memory care unit. Sometimes when I've visited the tv will be set to some exploitative true crime show. I've got to think that poo poo isn't good for them, even in their condition.

Beyond that I don't think most dickheads with a podcast have a clue what due diligence means.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A big part of Rogans' appeal to me is the fringe nuts that want to talk about their intimate relations with aliens or bigfoot or the skinwalkers. I realize I can listen to other podcasts about this poo poo, Rogan just draws all the cryptozoological crazies out. Or at least used to, I have no idea about who he's had on from the crytpo conspiracy folks lately.

I'm not blindly clicking on nazis.

Internet Wizard posted:

Like, Last Podcast on the Left jokes and profits from human misery a lot too but at least they do their due diligence on the research end of things. Their terminal levels of bro energy are painful though

Ben from their show is apparently a big alien and ghost guy. Just watch travel channel, you'll see him on there commenting on "Paranormal" videos. It's the laziest goddamn show since Brian Callen was on World's Dumbest Videos. They just run and rerun the same youtube uploaded potato quality videos and draw conjecture about what they would do if confronted with a UFO or a demon or whatever.

Chupacabra/Sasquatch 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My friend put it best in regards to Last Podcast on the Left. They aren't looking to glamorize whatever murder or crime they are discussing, they're more a less taking the piss out of these guys (and occasional women) by making fun of them instead of speaking of them in hushed tones like they should be continuously feared or revered if you're a loving idiot.

I've never watched any of their shows though but their podcast is pretty funny.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Internet Wizard posted:

I listened to them for a while but got gradually more and more disgusted every time they’d laugh and joke about how they didn’t even bother doing enough research, let alone laughing and joking about actual murders.

I had the exact same thing happen to me with My Favorite Murder. I couldn't stand how they bragged about how little research they actually did. It was around the time that the "housekeeping" section felt as long as the rest of the show, and when their battle cry against toxic masculinity kinda turned into "every man on the planet is 100% a murderous fuckhead also how come I don't have a boyfriend?".

And Last Podcast (okay, Henry) might get obnoxious every once in a while, but you can tell they actually do the reading and research they claim.
Marcus seriously sounds haunted on some of the heavier, darker episodes, e.g.: the 9/11 series or Jonestown. That man has definitely read some poo poo that keeps him awake at night.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Just to be clear, LPotL is a great podcast. It’s just not a bingeable podcast because of the double whammy of Henry and the subject matter.

I do love the episodes where Henry is allowed to lead and it’s about some crazy dude who called into Coast to Coast AM or David Eicke. Brings me back to listening to Coast to Coast while on radio watch on field exes in the desert

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's got the mormon vote

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1215429492459655170

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/lexeagles93/status/1215338540332199936

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
LPCotL is awesome. Henry is awesome.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Scratch Monkey posted:

LPCotL is awesome. Henry is awesome.

:lol: :grovertoot: