Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sorry Rhyno, just be there for him when he decides he needs to talk.

Made it home last night finally, 8.5 hour drive in a rental that smelled like a drat ashtray. What a loving journey, first admitted October 29th. I'll echo the love for zofran and, as needed in the right setting, hospital grade IV pain killers.

edit: ha my new work laptop shipped without a charger, this will make activating and doing all the stuff I'm way behind on fun
edit2: no securID either

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Zofran is some good poo poo. Phenergan/Promethazine is decent too, but makes me want to sleep (makes sense, as it's a 1st generation antihistamine... just like Benadryl).

Glad you're home.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Watched the first episode of James May: Our Man In Japan. Its good- its basically Amazon giving him a bucket of money and telling him to "go be James May in Japan"

Scene with the restaurant ended up with me wondering "Can I still remember how to do that?"

And then things got out of hand...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

NitroSpazzz, congrats on being out of the hospital!

Re: Bronco talk, I have it on good authority that it looks good and stands to give the Wrangler serious competition. As much as the Ecoboost sounds like a wet fart I have come to like it in my Raptor, and the 2.7 EB will be an option. Ford also moved the roll bar behind the second row unlike the Wrangler so there’s less headroom intrusion on the Bronco while still allowing the roof to come off, etc.

Just got an email from the dealer I put my preorder in with; I need to finalize my vette order and I’m waffling on color and trim level. Peak first world problems

Tremek fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 10, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tremek posted:

Just got an email from the dealer I put my preorder in with; I need to finalize my vette order and I’m waffling on color and trim level. Peak first world problems

If you don't bring home a Sebring Orange Corvette you are doing yourself a severe disservice, that color is gorgeous.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

:(

My aunt passed away today. She had multiple cancers in her body and didnt want to prolong her life any further. I'm sad but really more worried about my dad. This will be very hard for him.

Edit: dad texted me just moments ago to inform me but isn't able to talk on the phone right now.

Sorry man. Cancer sucks, and the toll it takes on the survivors is pretty high.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ferremit posted:

Watched the first episode of James May: Our Man In Japan. Its good- its basically Amazon giving him a bucket of money and telling him to "go be James May in Japan"

Scene with the restaurant ended up with me wondering "Can I still remember how to do that?"

And then things got out of hand...

Nice work. The swordsmith he went to that let him only have a few whacks with a hammer: Guy Martin went to see him for his show 'Our Guy in Japan' last year and got to actually properly take part in the making of a sword...

If you don't know Guy Martin, he's a motorbike Racer who works as a truck mechanic and is just the nicest, most down to earth bloke around. He is endlessly entertaining and his stuff is fantastic to watch.

Here's the sword bit;
https://youtu.be/NDU8V8fjX1I

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Six years ago I did a really good thing, a rarity at the time. Then my friend died. Three years ago my best friend got murdered. Now my aunt died.

This weekend can historically go gently caress itself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Made it home last night finally, 8.5 hour drive in a rental that smelled like a drat ashtray. What a loving journey, first admitted October 29th. I'll echo the love for zofran and, as needed in the right setting, hospital grade IV pain killers.

Yay! :D

Rhyno posted:

Six years ago I did a really good thing, a rarity at the time. Then my friend died. Three years ago my best friend got murdered. Now my aunt died.

drat. :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

This weekend can historically go gently caress itself.

Yeah, it sure seems like the universe can single you out and pile bullshit onto you. I feel that way a lot lately too. My brother died when I was in high school, my best friend died not too long after, and now the person I want to spend the rest of my life with isn't likely to have a very long life span to do that with. Makes you wonder if previous lives are a thing and you did some really terrible poo poo in them sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, I was a bad kid and a generally bad person until I was in my late 30's. I never have any question about deserving the poo poo that comes my way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh God yea get that fluid out. I use the synthetic Valvoline Dex7 or whatever it is now and they love it. The 2-3 shift is always squishy but 1-2 and 3-4 are awesome with that fluid and clean filters. Mine was the same way, no pan gasket just like 3 different entire tubes of rtv. 15 for the screen, ring and gasket is definitely worth it. At least it has a drain plug so that's nice too. I'm surprised the Lucas made it better unless it had some type of Type F in there which is uh, stickier, than dextron and the Lucas made it slipperier. Putting Type F in a dextron transmission is an old trick to make a failing trans shift slightly better long enough to sell it to the next guy. Trick Shift is basically Type F. Hopefully the right fluid and good filters fix it rather than unleash the demons but if so at least 4eats are cheap and iirc you have access to the pay by hour garage with a lift. That won't happen though, it will shift like new :ohdear:

Gonna note that for ATF info for mine. No clue what's in there now. I also need to get off my butt and change the external filter on mine, which is in the inner fender, because H6.

Oh yeah you should have parts of the fsm that cover the timing belt in your mail.

STR - don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I have a digital copy of the FSM for my 2003., I found it one of these places, if you haven't already found one yourself:
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-(FSM)-Every-Model-USDM-EU

Rhyno posted:

I mean, I was a bad kid and a generally bad person until I was in my late 30's. I never have any question about deserving the poo poo that comes my way.

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is never easy, even when we know it's coming in short order.
I can't comment on whether or not you deserve whatever, but I am reminded of this quote from Babylon 5:
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." -- Marcus Cole

I just try to remember that I'm not, say, a German Jew in 1938, or whatever isn't the dominant religion/government in a particular part of the Middle East. Stuff like that. Helps put any issue I have in a different light, FWIW.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's beautiful and I'm stealing it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

As much as the Ecoboost sounds like a wet fart I have come to like it in my Raptor, and the 2.7 EB will be an option.

I was behind an Ecoboost Raptor the other day with aftermarket exhaust, and... my god, yes, wet fart is exactly how it sounds. Or 80s minivan. But it scoots entirely too well for a truck.

My stepdad has an F-150 with the 2.7EB, and the first (well, only) time I drove it, I was shocked at how it threw me back in my seat (his old 5.4 F-150 wasn't fast, but it would get out of its own way... his 351W 92 F-150 was kind of a dog, my 80 351M F-150 was molasses). Then got angry when I scrolled through the display on the dash and saw 27 MPG. :sigh:

Darchangel posted:

STR - don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I have a digital copy of the FSM for my 2003., I found it one of these places, if you haven't already found one yourself:
https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-(FSM)-Every-Model-USDM-EU

Oh snap. That's a huge help, thank you. The stuff shy cute boy sent me is still helpful since it's sitting in my email (so I can pull it up on my phone easily when I'm in the garage), but having the full FSM for my year/model is gonna be very handy.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Tremek posted:

Re: Bronco talk, I have it on good authority that it looks good and stands to give the Wrangler serious competition. As much as the Ecoboost sounds like a wet fart I have come to like it in my Raptor, and the 2.7 EB will be an option. Ford also moved the roll bar behind the second row unlike the Wrangler so there’s less headroom intrusion on the Bronco while still allowing the roof to come off, etc.

any word on when they're going to unveil what it will actually look like instead of the stream of renderings that keep showing up, like hopefully the chicago auto show?

id like to have my next car be something that can get me and my partner to back country camp sites while still getting 20+ mpg on 35s and right now my option is pretty much the wrangler since i loving hate trucks

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

After much back and forth I have agreed to buy your TLC because you will no longer be needing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gringostar posted:

getting 20+ mpg on 35s

Gringostar posted:

getting the wrangler

I mean... 20.1 might count? :haw: I don't know how much better mileage JKs and JLs get but my TJ, even corrected for the 33s, isn't even sniffing at above 15 MPG.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That's beautiful and I'm stealing it.

Please do. I mean, I stole it from J. Michael Straczynski. :)

STR posted:

Oh snap. That's a huge help, thank you. The stuff shy cute boy sent me is still helpful since it's sitting in my email (so I can pull it up on my phone easily when I'm in the garage), but having the full FSM for my year/model is gonna be very handy.

You're welcome.
I throw my copy up on Dropbox, then I can read it at work, on phone, tablet, whatever.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean... 20.1 might count? :haw: I don't know how much better mileage JKs and JLs get but my TJ, even corrected for the 33s, isn't even sniffing at above 15 MPG.

the epa numbers for the diesel wrangler is 25MPG combined :radcat:

not expecting the 2.7 to be as good but it also shouldn't be as bad as the 3.6 (20) or 2.0 (21).

Gringostar fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 10, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hubbies old rubicon would get around 15-17 on 31s. his prior sahara on 33s would get like 10-12 lmao.

the farmtruck gets 14-15 on 37s. short cycling it will dip it down to around 12-13.

Gringostar posted:

asinine. I reaaaaaallly wish they built a version with a daycab or an excab.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

What? Have you linked this before?? OMG this is insanely helpful to me. THANK YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

When did Walmart start selling Toyota OEM oil filters?

Went there to grab oil and a filter for GF's Matrix this morning. Went through the 90s electronic thingy to find the right filter (was planning on a Mobil 1 filter, since she drives so little that synthetic should be good for a year), and it offered a Toyota filter. Looked at the bottom shelf, and... yup. With the AC Delco, Mopar, and Autolite stuff. :stare: Downright affordable too at $6.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 10, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

his prior sahara on 33s would get like 10-12 lmao.

Yep, this is where mine comes up without correcting for the tire size. Correction only adds about one MPG anyway.

It's not like the 4.0 is an efficient engine. Dirt Every Day compared their Cummins 2.8 swapped TJ against one with the 4.0 and one with some form of LS in it, and the 4.0 was the worst of the three on fuel economy on a wheeling trip.

Also speaking of oil, when did Costco start carrying their own oil? Looks to be the same manufacturer as Supertech / Amazon Basics but $30 for two 5-quart jugs is loving cheap and I feel a lot better about giving money to Costco over Walmart / Amazon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

What? Have you linked this before?? OMG this is insanely helpful to me. THANK YOU

You’re welcome!
Possibly in my own thread, but not here, I think. I honestly don’t remember.

Edit: it was something that came up when I was searching for the FSM for my Outback, which is a thing I do for every car I own.
I had to resort to paying for a digital copy of the Ford FSM for the Crown Vic, because everyone who had it pay-wallled it. I actually host a mess of early Mazda rotary manuals on my personal site for rotards enthusiasts like myself.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 10, 2020

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

everdave posted:

Seconded, loving awesome

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

You’re welcome!
Possibly in my own thread, but not here, I think. I honestly don’t remember.

Edit: it was something that came up when I was searching for the FSM for my Outback, which is a thing I do for every car I own.
I had to resort to paying for a digital copy of the Ford FSM for the Crown Vic, because everyone who had it pay-wallled it. I actually host a mess of early Mazda rotary manuals on my personal site for rotards enthusiasts like myself.

Its taken me 2 or 3 minutes to work out why you were talking about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tomarse posted:

Its taken me 2 or 3 minutes to work out why you were talking about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Oh, you've been touched by His Noodly Appendage?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah I tried to join that church when I thought they were worshipping Factory Service Manuals but alas,

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey guys, on the factory service manual front, I just found this: https://cardiagn.com/

T-Square
May 14, 2009

You keep your noodly appendages away from me.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

cursedshitbox posted:

Hubbies old rubicon would get around 15-17 on 31s. his prior sahara on 33s would get like 10-12 lmao.

the farmtruck gets 14-15 on 37s. short cycling it will dip it down to around 12-13.

I have nothing useful to contribute, I'm just in awe of such high numbers. Last fillup, the suburban managed a whopping 7.3 mpg :bang: In fairness, I did spill about 5 gallons during the engine swap, so it should have been more like 7.6 :dance:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

no, that's the price for the diesel

sport s starts at $42,500

rubicon's start at just under $50k

:smithicide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gringostar posted:

not expecting the 2.7 to be as good but it also shouldn't be as bad as the 3.6 (20) or 2.0 (21).

:shrug: I have the 3.5l ecoboost. It's pretty good to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:shrug: I have the 3.5l ecoboost. It's pretty good to me.

gently caress me, you're not supposed to support my wife's argument that one vehicle can replace the CR-V, instead of buying a hauler truck with no fucks given to MPG and some form of commuter car. You're getting 4MPG better than my CR-V averages.

What year / trim?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dad is coping so far. He's just so thankful that he got to be there and he keeps thanking me for pushing him to go. I'm glad he got to be by her side.

I'm sad but it's easier knowing he's doing okay today.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress me, you're not supposed to support my wife's argument that one vehicle can replace the CR-V, instead of buying a hauler truck with no fucks given to MPG and some form of commuter car. You're getting 4MPG better than my CR-V averages.

What year / trim?

That's only after a few miles though. Combined I usually get around mid 20's. Lately it's been ~22mpg because it's cold and I cruise around in sport mode because gently caress it why not? That's on Factory tires though. I'm sure it would be better on something like Michelin Primacy (god that was such a good tire.)

2019 Supercrew / Regular Bed XLT 4wd. 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed auto. I got the nice Sync system with the large touch screen, but NOT the productivity screen for my gauges, so I'm without a boost gauge.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

How the gently caress do people without insurance survive if they get sick? Claim is still processing but I've been told insurance will cover 80% of the medvac transport from early December. What's the cost of a medvac flight from Knoxville to Omaha you ask? $224,250.... :fuckoff: I mean I'm glad they did it but if I knew I was going to be on the hook for $45k I would have drove my rear end down there myself. Our healthcare system is so hosed, just browsing through all these charges it's insane.

Otherwise good to be home, just went and sat in the garage for a while. Looks like a bomb went off mid project because it did. There's crap all over from prepping the formula ford, at least I had a work list so I have a rough idea where I was.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You either go bankrupt, go into debt for the rest of your life, get the services comped, or suffer and maybe die.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah. It’s almost better when it is 225k or whatever, because bankruptcy if it’s that much at once is a no brainer for a lot of people. When it’s 800 here, and a thousand there, you keep struggling to afford it and it can keep you down your whole life.

Healthcare here sucks. Vote Medicare for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

taqueso posted:

You either go bankrupt, go into debt for the rest of your life, get the services comped, or suffer and maybe die.

Continuing to reinforce my belief that the United States should be re-designated as a developing country.