Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Honestly since I got amazon prime its just been so many good shows ive binged!

The Boys was great and fresh.
Patriot topped it in a whole different way. The darkness and humor. I loved it.
Fleabag is the funniest and best produced comedy show since probably evwr.
The expanse! So good to have it back!

Also now im watching miss maisel and its pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Affi posted:

I loved everyone of those outside of Fleabag, and that is just because I haven't watched it yet. I plan to correct that soon.

I still like Miss Maisel after this season, but nowhere as close as I did after season 2. This is mainly due to how perfect season 2 was. Also how certain small things are starting to annoying me (urg another musical interlude), and I thought the finale you could see coming from a mile away but you would think a certain character was smarter than that. I think we all know here season 4 is going. I just believe they could have done a better job in season 3 getting to this point.

Finished new season of The Expanse. I really liked it, but I hope next season goes back to our crew moving around the universe more (I only read the original trilogy).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 8, 2020

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Meatgrinder posted:

I'd somehow missed that a second season of Britannia had come out in November. Whatever gripes I had about the first season: this one is pretty great! They really leaned into the weird and the comical, focusing more on the fantasy than the historical setting or intrigue, and it works. Great performances as well, and very clever use of music. Really enjoyable tv.

Many thanks for mentioning this. We watched S1 expecting something like Rome, so we were surprised by the camp fest it actually is, but we wound up enjoying it a lot. Julian Rhind Tutt had a hilarious performance, especially near the end.

e: looks like s2 isn’t yet available in the us

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 8, 2020

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
watching 30 rock for second time, not sure if I ever finished it. The end of season 5 is unwatchable. Season 6 so far is a little better. But they just crossed the line into meaningless plots that I couldn't care less about. Like Liz spending the whole episode trying to get a bag out of a tree.

Watching Dexter Season 10 one episode a night. Also known as YOU season 2. This show is so much fun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
30 rock had plots?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Dexter had ten seasons?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

clown shoes posted:

Dexter had ten seasons?

"Also known as YOU season 2."

Season 2 especially is so much like Dexter. They even call the lead Dexter at one point. It's shameless but that's ok. Still a lot of fun with some more technology and internet buzzwords thrown in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Current binges:
  • You're the Worst, currently at the beginning of season 2. I'm a big fan of cynical comedies with rear end in a top hat leads, so I'm having a great time with this one.
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm, currently at the beginning of season 9. Given the likely (but no means certain) winding down of things with Iran, I'm feeling more confident getting further into this, especially given that season 10 is around the corner.
  • The Sopranos, currently midway through season 1. I'm a shameful New Jersey native and have never gone through the show at all. I see the hype.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

"Also known as YOU season 2."

Season 2 especially is so much like Dexter. They even call the lead Dexter at one point. It's shameless but that's ok. Still a lot of fun with some more technology and internet buzzwords thrown in.

I loved season one of You so much. It was so creepy and weird and I thought pretty unique in how it was told. I went in expecting "The Collector" but got something pretty different.

After thinking about it more, I wasn't a fan of season two. Just too much stupid poo poo thrown in.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Affi posted:

Definitely give Bosch and Goliath a watch as well. Sure, you'll think it's yet another gritty cop and lawyer show but they're really well done.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ramy is really good. Reminds me a lot of the best things about Master of None without all Ansari's navel gazing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Definitely give Bosch and Goliath a watch as well. Sure, you'll think it's yet another gritty cop and lawyer show but they're really well done.

Bosch is loving awesome I love Titus Welliver in that role.

I've started Magicians season 2 after never finishing it when it came out. It's dumb fun.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Bosch is loving awesome I love Titus Welliver in that role.

My wife and I binged the first four seasons of Bosch in early 2019, in anticipation of catching up for the fifth season this past April. We loved it. One of the best cop/detective shows ever. The description makes it sound generic, and the first episode might be a little shocking and leave a bad taste in your mouth, but it will grow on you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Not really binging but watching:
The Circle - it's different. I like how people invent rivalries from nothing.
You, S1 - Enjoying it. The show lulls you into starting to liking the main character then suddenly reminds you he's a dangerous pervert.
Star Trek TOS - I have a strong nostalgia for this show but haven't watched it in a long time and I'm far enough from childhood that I can judge the episodes somewhat objectively for the first time. Still enjoy the hell out of it though despite the flaws.
Into the Badlands - I have 4 episodes left in the final season and can't muster enough fucks to finish the series. S1 was phenomenal. S2 slipped and went downhill but still have fantastic fight choreography. S3 went to shitsville (too many characters, too much plot, not enough Daniel Wu kicking rear end) and there is nothing good left.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Wallet posted:

A few people have recommended You to me (on Netflix) but I find the premise decidedly off-putting: Anyone watched it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I loved season one of You so much. It was so creepy and weird and I thought pretty unique in how it was told. I went in expecting "The Collector" but got something pretty different.

After thinking about it more, I wasn't a fan of season two. Just too much stupid poo poo thrown in.

Season one is pretty good, I liked that much of the story was more about the chase rather than the relationship, you start to feel that maybe Joe Is Right in his actions and goals In The Name Of Love due to the POV structure but it quickly goes back to Joe Is Scum. Season two is kinda stupid right from the start, we're shown a love interest who has no flaws other than having an unstable brother, just so they could spring a surprise twist ending and then tack on another cliffhanger hook for season 3

I really liked Elizabeth Lail as Beck, and her POV episode was short but sweet and I wish the show had more of it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been watching What/If with my partner due to snow days... it is very very terrible

Renee Zellweger is not as good an actor as I assumed she was

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Late to the ball, but just started S1 of Schitt's Creek.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

spookygonk posted:

Late to the ball, but just started S1 of Schitt's Creek.

That show's so loving wholesome. Very much an old school romantic comedy, in the sense that it's as much about any ongoing romance plot as it is about the various family members discovering their love for each other and the town itself. It's very lovely.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Affi posted:

I've never watched Patriot or The Expanse.
Hopefully they are on Netflix - EU (Netherlands).

Also can't find a way to watch The Sopranos. Never seen it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Patriot and Expanse are both on Amazon Prime

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Just watched the new Dracula from the BBC (that's also on Netflix). It's was entertaining but the pacing is off, and the last episode really fell flat for me (it's 3 episodes with a 1:30 run time). There's a couple of great performances in there, but while I get what it was going for it doesn't quite get there.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wallet posted:

Just watched the new Dracula from the BBC (that's also on Netflix). It's was entertaining but the pacing is off, and the last episode really fell flat for me (it's 3 episodes with a 1:30 run time). There's a couple of great performances in there, but while I get what it was going for it doesn't quite get there.

I haven''t watched the 3rd episode, but I thought the 2nd episode was a mess. I am not even sure what they were trying accomplish in that episode or what even story it was trying to tell. It even tried to be a mystery at times when there was no mystery at all. What a mess. It reminds me of how messy the last few seasons of Sherlock were (same show runners). Despite my love for the first 2 seasons of Sherlock I would be afraid to watch them again, because I will discover it was a mess the whole time.

That said I did like the first episode, but I liked it because they played off what book readers thought were going to happen and tricked them some.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Anyone else binged through The Messiah? It's a bit derivative at times (some of the stuff from the first few eps made me think low rent Homeland) but for a mystery drama it all pulls together rather well for the last few episodes and I think has a pretty good ending for this kind of show. A few of the plot lines feel very light feel like they are there just to push the main story along while disregarding proper procedure but overall a good effort.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm at episode 3 of The Messiah right now and it's a decent enough watch. The plot is intriguing enough that I'll definitely finish it out. It's not really pulling me in enough for me to binge through it though. Good to know that it wraps up decently enough though, episode 3 wasn't too promising.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Man, Schitts Creek is so loving good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Constellation I posted:

I'm at episode 3 of The Messiah right now and it's a decent enough watch. The plot is intriguing enough that I'll definitely finish it out. It's not really pulling me in enough for me to binge through it though. Good to know that it wraps up decently enough though, episode 3 wasn't too promising.
I tried to watch it and I can't stand it. Stuff like CIA analyst immediately rejecting a candidate for saying that things are gray and telling him "no everything's black and white" in the first 30 seconds we see her when the show is obviously going to have an ambiguous ending. She also conveniently finds out that she has cancer right then, and I'm not sure exactly where they're going with that (either she will question her beliefs or the messiah dude will cure her) but I'm sure I'll hate whatever it is and it will be ridiculously lazy writing.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yeah, about that...

I thought the exact thing as you re: the cancer angle. But we're both totally wrong regarding it. Ep 3 looked like it was going to veer into that, but it actually took a different turn.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Man, Schitts Creek is so loving good.

It really is. I think the last season is starting soon as well.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought this last season was the final season. Is that not right?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The first episode of the final season (6) aired earlier this week.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Nice! Don't know how I missed that

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Wallet posted:

Yeah, I couldn't even finish episode 3.

Episode 1 should've been a one-off horror flick.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Yeah we’re watching the new Dracula too. It’s terrible lol.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I finished the better vampire TV show What We Do In The Shadows as well as Barry this weekend. Helps that both are 30 min shows with short seasons

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Also watched Cheer on Netflix which I think is newish? It's like Last Chance U but less entertaining and more depressing because the students are A) destroying their bodies and B) don't even have any real hopes of getting anything out of it since there is nowhere for them to go with it after college. At least the coach doesn't seem like a total rear end in a top hat? So uh, would not recommend unless you really love the sports reality formula or something.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Over halfway through the second season of The Terror. Still fairly compelling....but doesn't come close to the first season.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

I finished the better vampire TV show What We Do In The Shadows as well as Barry this weekend. Helps that both are 30 min shows with short seasons

How incredible was the episode with all the vampire cameos? Love that show

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

Yeah we’re watching the new Dracula too. It’s terrible lol.

First episode was sort of fun solely on the back of Dracula and Van Helsing just hamming it up and constantly sassing everyone, but it was all downhill from there.

Also, Netflix kept throwing Carole and Tuesday at me, so I finally gave it a try and... it's actually really pleasant. The plot is kind of meandering, but the production values are actually top notch with several surprisingly catchy and well-made songs. But mostly there's just something endearingly earnest about it all that makes it work a lot better than I'd have expected.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Tried watching Euphoria, but it is not for me. I will, however, endorse it: from the nearly 2 episodes I watched it seemed like a very solid show, which, despite the many tropes and stereotypes, offers a frank and fresh view on teenage drama. Despite not being engaging to me, it is clearly entertaining and well made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Trying Killing Eve on for size and its really not very good. Its like a poo poo show. Why did someone recommend it?