Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wife surprised me for Xmas with this.

Redneck Ram Hydro steer upgrade. Got it installed today with a buddy in about 3 hours

https://imgur.com/gallery/IxoljZz

Love the steering now and can’t wait to get it off-road where it’ll really shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

New NSS installed, code returned. I saw some posts mentioning that it may simply be adjustment of the NSS, and so attempted the suggested method from forums (put it reverse, move the NSS until the lights go off, repeat the other direction, then put it in the middle of that range), and ... my reverse lights never went off. So ... I don't know what that means.

I looked in the FSM for a different/better adjustment procedure, it doesn't even mention it.

Wits end, help please!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 12, 2020

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Here is my submission for group membership. It is the third jeep that I have owned and by far the oldest.

1947 CJ-2A Willys
Original L-134 "Go Devil" 4 cyl engine, transmission and xfer case.

I picked it up almost a year ago but it has been sitting under a tarp waiting for me to finish some other projects. This January it starts being the main project. The seats are already removed, the previous-previous owner replaced the originals and welded these in. I've cut out the seats and most of the bars they put in to hold the chairs.

The engine ran for the previous owner but about 10 yrs ago when the water pump failed and he just parked it outback behind his house and left it. I've got a new water pump already and just waiting for a rebuild kit for the carb.

Plans are to get it in working order first just to make sure the engine is good and mechanically it is "usable". Then I'll decide if I keep the engine and order an overdrive for it or replace the engine then get working on the body and everything else.

My plan is for a fun exploration jeep for the desert and mountains here in NM and southern CO.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is loving awesome.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That is an awesome Willys.

I was going through some slides my Mum got scanned and found some of my Uncles old Jeep. It was used as a farm jeep in the 70s and early 80s as well as for offroading trips in rural South Island New Zealand. Not sure where it is now probably in the back of a barn somewhere on the farm. I love the little hard top on it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Those willys look great, and I’m reminded now that they had an off center spare tire. Does anyone make a bumper/tire carrier with the tire to one side, and a cargo tray on the other? I know there’s a million options for a rack above the spare, but something like this VVV seems way more useful and easier to access :kiddo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would wager that if there's a reason most companies don't make something like that, it's because it would have a much lower limit on maximum tire size than a centered spare - and seemingly everyone with money to burn on Wranglers these days thinks 35s are small.

I do agree that I'd rather have that to keep the center of gravity down. I want to get the cargo basket for my TJ's Rockhard bumper but it would be pretty much impossible for my wife to reach anything on it without a ladder.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah I think the tire size is a problem but it would also require moving the brake lights since the spare and the rack would cover the stock placement. It’s a shame cause I’d love to have a small cargo basket like this for a cooler or whatever, and anything above the tire is just inconvenient.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just put an Antirock on my TJ. Lot more hammering than I expected (the shaft is a surprisingly tight fit in the bushings) but so far so good.

Anyone want some worn but very much usable quick disconnects for a TJ? Cost of shipping only, I'll take some pics tomorrow if anyone can use them.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just put an Antirock on my TJ. Lot more hammering than I expected (the shaft is a surprisingly tight fit in the bushings) but so far so good.

Anyone want some worn but very much usable quick disconnects for a TJ? Cost of shipping only, I'll take some pics tomorrow if anyone can use them.

I could really use replacements after my Baja run, but mine are still serviceable. If nobody else speaks up that doesn't already have disconnects I'll send you some cash.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Sold my TJ the other day to an old dude that is going to use it as a more comfortable replacement for his atv for getting to his fishing spots :3:

Took the JK out for a play in the dirt at the closest "urban" offroading spot near me too. I need to get it out in some proper trails soon. The previous owner put pretty much a full aev setup on it with the bumpers and lift. From how clean it is I don't think he ever really wheeled it. All I'm planning on doing in the near term is a uhf/vhf and probably a hilift mount on the tire carrier.it currently has an internal rollbar mount for it but I'm not really a fan of having to extract the hilift from the trunk if it needs to be used.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of me wants these for my TJ, and we are in the same city so no shipping needed. But I wheel more often in my JK and I feel like Astonishing Wang deserves them more than me :cheers:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If you don't have a pair take em! Mine still work fine, they're just a little loosy-goosy.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Sway bar disconnects have to be the best tj bang for the buck upgrade there is.

mashed fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 4, 2020

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have quite a few things that I need to address when I get back to Baja and my Jeep on Monday:

I smashed the oil pan with the front axle truss again, so I need to pull off the oil pan and the con-rod support girdle and bang them back to straight. I'm also going to double check the bumpstops and cut some height off of the truss so it won't do it again, as well as a skid/crossmember across the frame rails below the forward oil pan to physically prevent the smashing.

The nutserts that I tried to replace on the frame didn't work very well at all, so I'm going to cut them all out and just through-bolt the cross-member with some 1/2" bolts that I'll weld flags onto so installation and removal is easy. I've decided that if I screwed up 3 out of 6 nutserts then it's not worth it for ME to try again. Simple is better when you aren't a good mechanic I think.

My rear end needs bumpstops - I'm still thinking of adding air or hydraulic bumps but for now I'm going to install the plastic extensions that are already sitting in the shed waiting. I also need limiting straps - anyone have a cheap option? even something that isn't traditionally used but works in a pinch? I have a 6' strip of seatbelt :D

The radio vibrated it's plastic bracket into 3 pieces and would cut out on every bump, restarting itself. A piece of paper wadded up and crammed into a gap kept it working for most of the trip. I'm going to install a new bracket and add a support for the body of the radio. Apparently the OEM radio had a support bracket.

Half of my dash lights have burned out in the last 7 years, so I ordered a new pack of LEDs. While the gauge cluster is out I'm going to make a vinyl sticker for the speedo that will show kilometers inside of the mph.

My windshield sprayer failed on day one so I bought a new pump. The last one lasted about 7 years, which is respectable for a $15 pump I think. I may add a rear sprayer to splash my friends on the trail.

I bought a few new bolts for trail spares and to replace the one control arm bolt that vibrated loose. Grade 8 stuff is expensive - about $7 for a 9/16" x 4" bolt and nylock nut. I was thinking "why doesn't anyone make a bolt kit for TJs?". Because it would cost about a million dollars is the answer I think.

I bought new heavy duty extended sway bar brackets from RuffStuff to replace the stock brackets, one of which snapped off from stresses on the last trip. There was a partial crack from sometime in the past, it was obvious from the rust on a portion of the broken piece.

I also bought a TJ LP dana 30 with carrier and gears for $25. I'm going to remove the inner Cs in case I need to replace the Cs on my HP30 at some point in the future due to the balljoint bores being worn out. I bought it after I got the heavy duty sway bar mounts, or I could've just used the set from this axle and saved $30. My buddy needs the spider gears too, so $25 seemed like a fair buy. I was really hoping it would come with outer knuckles and brake stuff so I'd have some spares, but the price was too good for that. It came with a stock diff cover so I might use that to build up a low profile skid plate. I still have a small amount of rubbing from the track bar on my 3/8" thick cover. Bump stops will probably prevent that once they're dialed in but an OEM cover would prevent it entirely.

I ordered 2 new rear driveshafts from Tatton's driveshafts in Utah. When I called two weeks ago to order he told me there'd be NO PROBLEM getting them to me before this coming Monday when I leave for Baja. Guess what?!?!! He's welding them today and they should be in the mail by Monday. loving annoying. I've bought 3 shafts from him in the past and they've all come quickly. I know it was the holidays but don't tell me they'll be there if it's not going to be possible. Luckily my spare shaft still has some life in it, I'll just need to rebuild it now instead of later.

I've been in San Diego without my jeep for 3 weeks so I've just been ruminating about it. Hopefully this isn't annoying :D

I also made a sticker for the hood - The Lost Banana

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 4, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nice choice on the banana. :golfclap:

My TJ is leaking... Something. Might be multiple somethings. I think my RTV thoughts and prayers on the front pan gasket bolts isn't going to hold up. Those bolt holes are blind, right? I might just try ramming the next size up tap in there and see if I can make it stick. Input shaft on the power steering box is wet, not sure if it's power steering fluid or if it's coolant that is also apparently leaking from somewhere.

Old quick disconnects:

The red bushings are all relatively new and have maybe a couple thousand miles on them. The black ones are probably at least ten years old, maybe older. The holes for the pins (and the pins themselves) are definitely a bit worn so there's still some play even with the pins in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Try boltdepot.com for the bolts. I'm seeing 2.30ea for 9/16x4 grade 8 coarse and 3.17 for fine thread, and 33 cents for coarse nylocks and 41 for the fine thread, and those are qty 1 prices.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Try boltdepot.com for the bolts. I'm seeing 2.30ea for 9/16x4 grade 8 coarse and 3.17 for fine thread, and 33 cents for coarse nylocks and 41 for the fine thread, and those are qty 1 prices.

I'll do that, thanks! I've been going to the local bolt supple store in San Diego - Marshalls industrial hardware I think it's called. It's like harbor freight 2.0 in terms of how fun it is to shop at.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Boltdepot is actually my local store like that, they're about an hour and a half away and only 30 minutes or so from the closest Crown Automotive warehouse outlet (which is only allowed to ship to Mass sadly.) If I order before like 2pm and ask for ground shipping, it arrives the next day :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tindjin posted:

Here is my submission for group membership. It is the third jeep that I have owned and by far the oldest.

1947 CJ-2A Willys
Original L-134 "Go Devil" 4 cyl engine, transmission and xfer case.

I picked it up almost a year ago but it has been sitting under a tarp waiting for me to finish some other projects. This January it starts being the main project. The seats are already removed, the previous-previous owner replaced the originals and welded these in. I've cut out the seats and most of the bars they put in to hold the chairs.

The engine ran for the previous owner but about 10 yrs ago when the water pump failed and he just parked it outback behind his house and left it. I've got a new water pump already and just waiting for a rebuild kit for the carb.

Plans are to get it in working order first just to make sure the engine is good and mechanically it is "usable". Then I'll decide if I keep the engine and order an overdrive for it or replace the engine then get working on the body and everything else.

My plan is for a fun exploration jeep for the desert and mountains here in NM and southern CO.

Awesome Jeep! I've got a CJ-7 that's intended for similar desert & mountain exploration, the main problem being it's an awful lot of freeway driving to get from my place to the explorable desert / mountains! What part of NM are you in? I'm down in Albuquerque.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I feel like an idiot for asking this since it feels like such a basic thing but I'm not sure how to top off my XJ's coolant. I know I have to wait for the engine to be cold, but do I fill from the radiator cap or the overflow reservoir? And how do I know when I've put in enough?

I do plan to do a proper flush when I have more time. I just need to do this as a holdover for a few days.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Overflow - there's markings on the side to indicate Max/Min. When it's cold, fill to the Max line.

I like to also make sure (when cold) that the radiator is actually topped up, but it'd be rare for it not to be when the overflow has anything in it (unless, of course, you just added what the overflow has in it).

Not a dumb question, lots of cars are different and it's never bad to ask.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spent 15 minutes sitting in the Whataburger parking lot yesterday because if I drive a couple miles, then park for maybe 15 minutes, the CJ-7 sometimes vapor-locks. I've been meaning to replace that weird old computer+vacuum controlled carb with an aftermarket Weber as my next project/update, but maybe I ought to switch to an electric pump and re-route the fuel lines away from the block first?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd try it if I were you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

New NSS installed, code returned. I saw some posts mentioning that it may simply be adjustment of the NSS, and so attempted the suggested method from forums (put it reverse, move the NSS until the lights go off, repeat the other direction, then put it in the middle of that range), and ... my reverse lights never went off. So ... I don't know what that means.

I looked in the FSM for a different/better adjustment procedure, it doesn't even mention it.

Wits end, help please!
In a perhaps misguided attempt to troubleshoot, I checked the voltage at the TCM for each of the circuits:

T1, T3, and T42 all show nominal battery voltage when the proper gear is selected. Reverse shows ~1v lower (10.85).

Could this be the switch, or is this a burgeoning break in the wire, or am I totally on the wrong track?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's probably just because the reverse lamps are pretty bright and draw more current which is pulling the circuit voltage down a little. I can't guarantee that's not your issue but I would be surprised if it is.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I wasn't looking forward to trying to find a (especially partial) wire break behind the dash, so that's probably good news. It lands me back at the one last answer that I found on googling, though, which is drive it for awhile and just see if it goes away.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Apologies for the cussing, but seriously what god drat engineer decided that this needed to happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCezv2MiLg

What in the name of god type of tool do I need to get this bolt out? Am I retarded?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

McDeth posted:

Apologies for the cussing, but seriously what god drat engineer decided that this needed to happen?

What in the name of god type of tool do I need to get this bolt out? Am I retarded?

Flex head ratcheting box wrench. https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-M...31WPH5ABBEHAAAS

Or

Shallow depth socket and swivel.

Edit: This is my most favorite video so far this month. You have the perfect way of describing and demonstrating the issue.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 13, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Looks like a universal joint socket extension could get that done (if the socket is shallow enough)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, a U-joint is the only way to get those bolts torqued down on my TJ, especially with the under-seat box added.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

McDeth posted:

meatpimp posted:

Edit: This is my most favorite video so far this month. You have the perfect way of describing and demonstrating the issue.

I cannot agree with this enough. That was a perfect description of exactly how I feel in situations like that.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
This was my ARB air locker's internal line.

Ring gear gave it a kiss.

Carriers out and bearing's off to replace the seal housing then time to slam it all back together.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

@Drunk Beekeeper, do you want those discos?

Also, doing a run through Box Canyon on Saturday.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

McDeth posted:

I'm lolling IRL, goddamn. Other than meatpimp's flex head ratcheting box wrench suggestion, is there any function to the first "This fukken poo poo" metal tab (as opposed to the second "fukken poo poo" lip on the right side) and can you just cut/grind that off and use a normal ratcheting box wrench on it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Some kind of regulation might require a tab so the seat can't slide off the rail? There is a similar, though better designed, bit on the rails in my volvo. But the side shields.....

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Friend of mine suggested these as the solution. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Buy yourself a set of these. They are lifesavers for failures in engineering like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have a set of these, admittedly from more than a few years ago. When they're needed they're nice but they are absolutely bottom tier HF quality.

Those sockets ThinkFear posted would be much better and I'm adding them to my wishlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Why not both! Offset wrenches are really useful in some specific scenarios, and those nano-impacts are really trick.