Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Facebook realizes that autotagging people in comments is a stupid system that doesn't help anyone. The worst is it will grab people that you're not friends with that are in groups you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think it has ever tried to tag someone I know. I just type a random word and then it pops up a useless list of people.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ErL39wqO-c

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I got one of those as a teenager as a gag gift. I used the cigarette lighter once or twice for shits and giggles, and I'm pretty sure that was responsible for my PSU dying not too much later.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Here's some obsolete technology for you. I've been building an 8 bit computer out of TTL chips.

Are you Ben Eater?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it has ever tried to tag someone I know. I just type a random word and then it pops up a useless list of people.

and when you need to tag it won't work right; when you're just slamming enter after a sentence is when it William Everett

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Jesus. You'd need a 128K ISDN line to keep up with all that scrolling! Maybe even a T1.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Bit disappointed that never sparked a scroll wheel war like the one for disposable razor blades.

"Logitech: gently caress Everything, We're Doing Five Scroll Wheels"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Known Lecher posted:

Bit disappointed that never sparked a scroll wheel war like the one for disposable razor blades.

"Logitech: gently caress Everything, We're Doing Five Scroll Wheels"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I have this exact mouse, and I use all the buttons and have shift macros for double the buttons, most of which I use. I have all kinds of desktop arranging macros and tab controls for chrome, volume control, also autohotkey macros for pulling up discord window and pasting links...all without moving my hands around at all. I love this poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Actually a middle mouse button that's not the scroll wheel should be good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I have a smiliar one, the buttons on the side are good for FPS games where you need to switch weapons quickly, plus i bound one of the buttons to talk so don't have to use my WASD hand for that.

LGR presents another piece of hardware that is just Why?
https://youtu.be/_ErL39wqO-c
All I can think of is that old thread about the guy who worked at a computer shop that posted pictures of the cases of smokers full of tar and poo poo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have this exact mouse, and I use all the buttons and have shift macros for double the buttons, most of which I use. I have all kinds of desktop arranging macros and tab controls for chrome, volume control, also autohotkey macros for pulling up discord window and pasting links...all without moving my hands around at all. I love this poo poo.

And then alternatively, in games like Borderlands or Destiny I have the front half all bound to grenade and the back half all bound to melee. gently caress fine motor control, just clench.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Serious question: does all that actually help you be more productive in...whatever niche role you are in, or is it just more that it feels cool to do?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you're playing MMOs having a stupid huge button mouse reduces wrist strain.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I had one of these once, a Belkin Nostromo Speedpad n52. I bought it for gaming and photoshop, it turned out to be less useful than I had hoped. Also the keyswitches were mushy garbage - you can get better keyswitches in a no-brand rubber dome $5 keyboard bought off Amazon - and the software was atrocious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Serious question: does all that actually help you be more productive in...whatever niche role you are in, or is it just more that it feels cool to do?

It's extremely fast and efficient with near zero movement of the mouse or use of the keyboard, and it's fun. Autohotkey makes things really interesting too because I can single button pull up specific window focus (discord), or do things like change my audio output with a single mouse click from anywhere.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Those dumb mice are legitimately incredible for poo poo like CG artwork, drafting, and other shortcut-heavy workflows.

I switched to the logitech 13 button mice a few years ago, and it made a big difference in my work speed. For games it's mostly pointless imo (i guess besides mmo and maybe strategy), but any time you're repeating various complex actions hundreds of times a day, it can make the work smoother.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I just replaced my Logitech wireless mouse, the one with the huge semicircle dongle- it still works except for scroll up, runs on two AA batteries for about six months, and has a left-thumb button which was nice for in game chat-

I got a Steelseries Sensei and it's p good, lets me remap the lil dpi button I never use, and it's comfy- but dang the design lacks unique panache. I kind of miss my heavy blue asymmetrical Logitech lump I got refurbed for $35 in 2004

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I am working on restoring/recovering my MIL's laptop with Windows 8 on it. It is loving terrible. I couldn't figure out how to get to system settings without asking Google. I dealt with 8 only very briefly when it came out and was switched to 8.1 at work as soon as that was available.
This laptop - HP 2000 - doesn't have a touch screen and this OS insists on being a tablet OS or something.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah 8.0 was that hot minute when MS thought an all-touch OS was the future. Get it to at least 8.1 if not 10 ASAP.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think I’m the one individual that loved (at the time) Windows 8. My 2 PCs were a Surface Pro 3 that was used strictly as a tablet and a self-built PC that I was using as an HTPC/gaming machine hooked up to a TV. Obviously it was great on the tablet but my main means of control for the HTPC were a harmony remote (using a flirc device) and a game controller. I get that I was a special case but it really seemed perfect for my use case at the time.

I definitely would have disliked using it as an actual PC at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, but I had a Mac for that.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

GutBomb posted:

I think I’m the one individual that loved (at the time) Windows 8. My 2 PCs were a Surface Pro 3 that was used strictly as a tablet and a self-built PC that I was using as an HTPC/gaming machine hooked up to a TV. Obviously it was great on the tablet but my main means of control for the HTPC were a harmony remote (using a flirc device) and a game controller. I get that I was a special case but it really seemed perfect for my use case at the time.

I definitely would have disliked using it as an actual PC at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, but I had a Mac for that.

My sister loved windows 8 on her surface pro. She took a while to come round to windows 10 because of some of the walkbacks they did.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah 8.0 was that hot minute when MS thought an all-touch OS was the future. Get it to at least 8.1 if not 10 ASAP.

GutBomb posted:

Horrible flashbacks for me. 8.0 is definitely a touch-OS and putting it on a non-touch laptop was similar to getting Doom running on a printer: technically possible, but you shouldn't do it except for bragging rights.

Amongst many, many other things, some of the native apps simply require a touch screen to work. A common occurrance was getting something fullscreen and not being able to exit out of it. And not weird stuff: the default Photos and pdf reader apps did that. Try swiping down with a mouse - it's surprising difficult.

And for Reasons, we were stuck with 8.0 for FIVE YEARS. Which meant we went all the way through the free 10 upgrade period and still used that piece of hot garbage.

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Jan 13, 2020

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah 8.0 was that hot minute when MS thought an all-touch OS was the future.

including for their server OS lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Horrible flashbacks for me. 8.0 is definitely a touch-OS and putting it on a non-touch laptop was similar to getting Doom running on a printer: technically possible, but you shouldn't do it except for bragging rights.

Amongst many, many other things, some of the native apps simply require a touch screen to work. A common occurrance was getting something fullscreen and not being able to exit out of it. And not weird stuff: the default Photos and pdf reader apps did that. Try swiping down with a mouse - it's surprising difficult.

And for Reasons, we were stuck with 8.0 for FIVE YEARS. Which meant we went all the way through the free 10 upgrade period and still used that piece of hot garbage.

Wasn't there a free update to 8.1 at least?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shut up Meg posted:

Nice to know I wasn't alone in Windows 8 hell. Trying to copy some numbers from a PDF to a worksheet when the PDF takes your whole screen is not enjoyable.

My biggest issue with Windows 8 and later versions is that I've paid for my operating system twice since then and both times it would not authorize. Each time Microsoft support had to use a work-around.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
If anyone is still in Windows 8 Hell, please do yourself a favor and get Classic Shell. Saved my life. http://classicshell.net/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The truly dumb thing about the Windows 8 era is that they used the same loving design on the corresponding Windows Server 2012 releases, where they could not possibly use the "it's optimized for touchscreens" justification with a straight face.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Imagined posted:

The truly dumb thing about the Windows 8 era is that they used the same loving design on the corresponding Windows Server 2012 releases, where they could not possibly use the "it's optimized for touchscreens" justification with a straight face.

i still have to use win 2012 servers and this poo poo utterly sucks, it is mystifying what they thought they were doing

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Last Chance posted:

Wasn't there a free update to 8.1 at least?

Oh there was and everyone installed it. Except us. For Security Reasons.

It was basically a Service Pack so you'd have to have been a moron to not install it. For example, brush your touchpad from the right edge and the Charm Bar would appear from the left and knacker your workflow. In 8.1, you can disable this. Not in 8.0.

Imagined posted:

Which just blew my mind.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can't turn off the Windows jiggle move where all your windows disappear and maaaaaaybe reappear if you jiggle again just right because it's functionality is buried so deep you need admin access. I've got 3 monitors at work. It's so fun to watch all 3 monitors clear the board when I'm just trying to move one window. I hate Windows so much.

What I'm saying is Windows is a land of contrasts.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i still have to use win 2012 servers and this poo poo utterly sucks, it is mystifying what they thought they were doing

If they had not forced the touchscreen crap on Server 2012 as well then everyone would have blasted MS for not making it an option for the non-Server edition and/or would have just pirated the Sever edition to get a non-crap interface.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can't turn off the Windows jiggle move where all your windows disappear and maaaaaaybe reappear if you jiggle again just right because it's functionality is buried so deep you need admin access. I've got 3 monitors at work. It's so fun to watch all 3 monitors clear the board when I'm just trying to move one window. I hate Windows so much.

What I'm saying is Windows is a land of contrasts.

The contrasts are in the Accessibility Settings my dude

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

If they had not forced the touchscreen crap on Server 2012 as well then everyone would have blasted MS for not making it an option for the non-Server edition and/or would have just pirated the Sever edition to get a non-crap interface.

I hate how right you almost certainly are. :capitalism:

I generally like Windows 10, telemetry aside, but it's full of so many half measures and elements where MS obviously wanted to make a radical change but then chickened out and left the old way in too and ended up with the worst of both. Witness the separate settings split between the new Settings and old Control Panel apps. I wish they'd whole rear end whatever they're doing or leave it alone.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's very frustrating that, this many years on in Windows 10, the windows 10 style settings windows are basic as gently caress and you have to dig into old style settings windows to actually do anything useful that isn't just "I WANT BLUE WINDOWS". The overall lack of ability to change things I don't like is what I hate about modern windows and programs. I hate googling something I dislike, seeing that someone wrote up instructions on how to do exactly what I want, and then it turns out that Microsoft disabled being able to do that at some point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

The contrasts are in the Accessibility Settings my dude

I think that's only if you have admin access. Even then the directions are to run gpedit to disable Aero Shake. I can't recall if I've ever seen it in Accessibility on machines I have full rights to.

I need to get admin access back on this laptop because for some inexplicable reason the corporate updates keep breaking the drivers for the USB console cable I need to connect to networking equipment. Guess what never has this problem? That's right a Mac.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

eminkey2003 posted:

If anyone is still in Windows 8 Hell, please do yourself a favor and get Classic Shell. Saved my life. http://classicshell.net/
Hell, it was one of the first things I installed when I finally had to upgrade to 10 (from 7) last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

eminkey2003 posted:

Still running 8.1 on my previous PC (the one that was my main PC before I got a new one) that is now the HTPC.

I think I started with 8.0 because I remember it being intolerably annoying. You want calculator? Well here's a FULLSCREEN CALCULATOR on your 24" monitor! gently caress you! Classic Shell was a must, and after the 8.1 it works well enough that I can't be bothered to update it to 10.

I do actually have a tablet with window 10 and it works pretty well in touchscreen mode without messing up the normal desktop experience too much. They definitely went way too far 8.0, who the hell had windows tablets at that time?