Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

iospace posted:

Pace cars, in US racing, are supposed to go at pit road speed, to allow the drivers to know what rpm for a given gear they have to be at for pit road speed.

No pit road, to my knowledge, is above 65 mph.

Huh, I had no idea about that. I always assumed pace cars had to go much faster, based on how fast the pace and safety cars appeared to drive at MotoGP and F1. I've never been at a NASCAR/INDYCAR race. Champcar, a long time ago, but that was in the Astrodome parking lot, and not something I would call a track.

Edit: I always thought it was amusing that the PACECAR liveried C5 corvette wasn't a z06. I just saw one last week.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

With F1 the speed is important because the cars will overheat if they don't get enough air, and the tires will get cold if they don't corner aggressively (causing another wreck when the green flag is out and suddenly everyone floors it).

In MotoGP they're technically medical cars.. there's actually a doctor and nurses onboard. Plus equipment. So they need to be fast to get to the accident quickly (it's also why the medical car starts behind the riders for the first lap, faster response time).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meanwhile, Irish Road Racing has (had, maybe) some doctors also riding for quicker response

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MetaJew posted:

Edit: I always thought it was amusing that the PACECAR liveried C5 corvette wasn't a z06. I just saw one last week.

The 1998 Pace Car predated the Z06, which didn’t bow until 2001.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

With F1 the speed is important because the cars will overheat if they don't get enough air, and the tires will get cold if they don't corner aggressively (causing another wreck when the green flag is out and suddenly everyone floors it).

That's the case in all top tier motorsport, but having to restart on cold tires is just A Fact Of Life. There are certainly minimum performance targets for pace vehicles, but they aren't steep. I remember in '93 it was a bit of a thing that the then-new fourthgen Camaro was the first production Indy 500 pace car in ages that didn't need any performance upgrades to do the job. The bitchin peak-90s paint job, on the other hand, was absolutely necessary. But 275hp isn't exactly a big deal anymore - they've used Accords at tracks other than Indianapolis.

That pace truck posted upthread was probably never actually used to pace the field. Back when PPG was the title sponsor for CART, they had a whole fleet of what basically amounted to show cars. They'd run them around the track when there was no activity going on, or sometimes ahead of the actual pace car in charge of the field before the race starts.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

BlackMK4 posted:

Meanwhile, Irish Road Racing has (had, maybe) some doctors also riding for quicker response

Put a doctor on every straight ready for a crash.

Doctors Without Corners.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

xzzy posted:

aka "The Ayrton Senna Special"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

In MotoGP they're technically medical cars.. there's actually a doctor and nurses onboard. Plus equipment. So they need to be fast to get to the accident quickly (it's also why the medical car starts behind the riders for the first lap, faster response time).

Curious what the hell they do for the Isle of Man TT.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

Curious what the hell they do for the Isle of Man TT.

It's quite literally what BlackMK4 posted upthread. Doctors will actively loving book it around the course during the race e: on practice and opening laps, as coming upon the scene of a crash yourself might be the quickest response possible on that 60km circuit.

R.I.P. John Hinds

NoWake fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 4, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Cool jobs your guidance counselor never told you about

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

NoWake posted:

It's quite literally what BlackMK4 posted upthread. Doctors will actively loving book it around the course during the race e: on practice and opening laps, as coming upon the scene of a crash yourself might be the quickest response possible on that 60km circuit.

R.I.P. John Hinds

Holy poo poo that's some next level

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Time to pull out the emergency awesome

Goggomobil's are awesome and I wont hear a word against that

I can't see a goggomobil without remembering the yellow pages advert.

https://youtu.be/153hBzKPnGc

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I can't see a goggomobil without remembering the yellow pages advert.

https://youtu.be/153hBzKPnGc

They always think it's the Dart

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I finally finished assembling my counterfeit Porsche GT3 Lego Lepin set. It's pretty awesome car stuff. It has a dual clutch transmission that I'm not sure how to actually actuate now that it's all assembled.

These pictures make it look small. It is not. It is huge. Those backsplash tiles behind it are 3" x 12"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Well I have to do this now

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

iospace posted:

Pace cars, in US racing, are supposed to go at pit road speed, to allow the drivers to know what rpm for a given gear they have to be at for pit road speed.

No pit road, to my knowledge, is above 65 mph.

That's a recent thing.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cnHPhNVZ5g&t=334s

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Well I have to do this now

The second lap can be pretty rough, though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MetaJew posted:

I finally finished assembling my counterfeit Porsche GT3 Lego Lepin set. It's pretty awesome car stuff. It has a dual clutch transmission that I'm not sure how to actually actuate now that it's all assembled.

It's the little knobs behind the steering wheel with rubber bands

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
No no. I'm saying that only the left hand toggle is accessible now that it is assembled, and the gears are binding enough that I don't want to force it.

In addition, in gear there's a lot of binding in the gear train so you can't really roll the car in gear.

If there was a incorrect instruction in assembling the drive train/gear box I'm sure this Lepin copy didn't have the update/fix.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Hnnnnghh.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Ironic choice, since Max Papis' job these days is enforcing pit lane speed violations (among other race steward things).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Owns. And is a little scary.

https://twitter.com/Silodrome/status/1214523237909970949

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We had little concept of danger back then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hard mode is using a BSA Bantam.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rhyno posted:

Neither does Tesla.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Any trouble and you dive into the water. Easy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

~ L U X U R Y M O B I L E O F F I C E ~

https://twitter.com/WillSCourtney/status/1214614155543666688?s=20

Oh and apparently Pontiac made a 4 seater Fiero and it looks really good... https://www.thedrive.com/news/31750/this-four-seater-pontiac-fiero-prototype-is-real-and-resides-in-an-illinois-museum

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 8, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I will never not love pop up headlights :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wwwwwwould

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wow that looks amazing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Unf

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Here, I'm pretty sure parking costs more than rent.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

This is both very much my thing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
A reminder that this thread exists:

FrankenFerrari - V12 Ferrari 308

He has gotten custom-machined replica Ferrari wheels from china-- and then gone back and remachined the bores and valve stem hole. He is currently re-machining the damaged portion of the head on one of the cylinders, and machining new cylinder sleeves.

I have no idea how you learn to do this, or do it so well. On top of that, he somehow has the time knock out home reno projects in short order. OP is a god.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but it's funny so it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaK95OdorXE

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ooo, thanks for that reminder on the FrankenFerrari!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Wasn't really sure where to put this but I've been posting a bunch of dakar rally stuff in CA and thought folks here might enjoy some of it too.

It is important to remember that trucks have the right of way because they are trucks and you are not.
https://twitter.com/sadakoom/status/1215681380203495427

Stefan Peterhansel is an ok driver.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1215569392500645888

This guy is a less ok driver, but is still OK (at least he's uninjured although his co-driver has some broken ribs, I think).
https://twitter.com/sadakoom/status/1215569018465157121

I love bikes, so have Andrew Short, american hero, doing something I can't.

But this is what brought me here. There are a few more and they're all great.
https://twitter.com/DrivesWithWuffs/status/1215648836686761986

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

builds character posted:

It is important to remember that trucks have the right of way because they are trucks and you are not.
https://twitter.com/sadakoom/status/1215681380203495427
Also, never, ever, ever, be unpredictable.

You were sitting at a stop. The truck had obvious visibility to you. Don't. loving. Move.

I also find it hilarious that some onlooker thought that they were going back to hit them again. Lady this isn't GTA, it's a race. Collisions happen.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Krakkles posted:

Also, never, ever, ever, be unpredictable.

You were sitting at a stop. The truck had obvious visibility to you. Don't. loving. Move.

I also find it hilarious that some onlooker thought that they were going back to hit them again. Lady this isn't GTA, it's a race. Collisions happen.

Very true. The worst thing you can do if someone else is faster than you is be unpredictable. Take whatever line you want, even if it's the best, but then stick to it and they'll get around you. My best guess is the car driver thought the truck was going to go around and then the truck comes back onto the tracks but man you'd think you might want to just double check that or wait for the truck to go by? It's an 8000km race, you can afford to lose the 1.5 seconds it takes for the truck to pass.

The guy in the car got towed into the bivouac and is using the rest day tomorrow (today?) to try to fix it. Seems hopeful but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Krakkles posted:

They did plenty with the first hit anyway. Death Dakar seems like a good idea to me.

PS that motorcycle from a couple posts up clears that dune lip so clean and low, love it.