Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Is Strawpoll hosed up? On my end it's showing Deathless Knight in the lead and there's absolutely no way that's even a relevant pick.

yeah i dont know what happened but something is going fucky, it's showing 105 results and ive never gotten more than 22 in this whole process. I remade the poll and updated the link as well (re-posted for fresh page)

TheTofuShop posted:

Pack 2 Pick 1
Fireborn Knight 8 votes

Faerie Guidemother 5 votes
Trapped in the Tower 4 votes

https://www.strawpoll.me/19201285

Previous picks linked here

Selections:
P2P1: Fireborn Knight
P2P2: Fireborn Knight

Sorry y'all I got called into work the last couple of days

E: and apparently somethign is going on with strawpoll, because the new poll has 88 votes already :wtf:

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

just make a new poll I guess (or skip it and take the obvious Ardenvale Tactician and move onto the next pick)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lone Goat posted:

just make a new poll I guess (or skip it and take the obvious Ardenvale Tactician and move onto the next pick)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tactician is in the lead over the cheater Deathless Knight anyway

or it was when I voted again

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1215707091320524800

In concept for this year:

8 Player draft pods
Pioneer Remaster Sets i.e. putting the relevant Pioneer cards from each set into Arena one set at a time.
Cube Drafts

All the new game modes and queues will require them to update their "Play Blade"

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

I just took Ardenvale Tactician

Strawpoll is being really funky today, so just ##Vote in the thread if you can, I'll tally it that way

Selections:
P2P3: Ardenvale Tactician

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
2 years from now:

We are excited to announce in our upcoming release that Pioneer is now playable! Be sure to queue up when it's available, every Thursday morning between the hours of 3:00 and 5:00 am.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pioneer feels envisioned as a way to bring focus back to mtgo after arena hurt its revenue stream so I do not expect them to jam pioneer any time soon.

People like historic anyway and with each of those historic packs and new sets it'll offer any increasingly different format.

##FIREBORN KNIGHT BRIGADE

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheTofuShop posted:

I just took Ardenvale Tactician

Strawpoll is being really funky today, so just ##Vote in the thread if you can, I'll tally it that way

Selections:

very excited to find out how many fireborn knights are too many

##vote fireborn

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I know people hate on Fortnite and all, but with MTGA going to the Epic Games store, doing a crossover like "Get level 25 on the basic mastery to earn a Chandra skin in Fortnite" could reel in some additional players.

What other big games besides Fortnite and Unreal does Epic Games develop?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is it worth doing the MTGA Pre-orders for the next Set?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Kraftwerk posted:

Is it worth doing the MTGA Pre-orders for the next Set?

If you know you'll be spending money on the set, I would.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Coming from the guy who auto-scoops to cats, you’d think the only deck with a favorable cats matchup would be your jam

i just don't play anymore

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Are there any guides on how to even play fires? is there more to it than "did you get fires on 4? Good you win!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

A Moose posted:

Are there any guides on how to even play fires? is there more to it than "did you get fires on 4? Good you win!"

You’re a bad control deck, you just bait your opponent into over committing. Then you wipe the board until you can set up your combo and win.

Arglebargle III posted:

i just don't play anymore

I only log in every few days to do my quests in either Brawl or Historic. It’s not even cat per se’, it’s loving Mayhem Devil. That card is just absolutely no fun to play against and a major headache to pilot correctly. The thought of playing this deck in Paper gives me hives. I hope Theros standard is broken in a fun way and not an Oko/Cat way

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 10, 2020

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re a bad control deck, you just bait your opponent into over committing. Then you wipe the board until you can set up your combo and win.

I only log in every few days to do my quests in either Brawl or Historic. It’s not even cat per se’, it’s loving Mayhem Devil. That card is just absolutely no fun to play against and a major headache to pilot correctly. The thought of playing this deck in Paper gives me hives. I hope Theros standard is broken in a fun way and not an Oko/Cat way

I think you're thinking of another deck. Fires doesn't play any wipes or control cards.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fires lives or dies on casting turn 3 clarion in my experience.

Otherwise Rakdos Knights just inserts embercleave until it can be inserted no further.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Waffleopolis posted:

If you know you'll be spending money on the set, I would.

I don't know.... It was fun winning my way up to gold with a mono-red aggro deck before I realized apparently nobody likes them and they get easily countered by the people playing massacre girl into mayhem devil, cat,oven decks.

Lately all of the decks I play against are unoriginal as gently caress and are always the same old Jund Food or Jeskai Fires variants. It's really tiresome that I never see anything different or fun. In the end my entire game depends on how lucky I get on my draws versus my opponents. I'm also convinced the matchmaker identifies my deck and specifically matches me with Jund Food or Jeskai because I refuse to believe the entire player base for this game consists almost exclusively of those builds. That would imply people have spent more than 300+ dollars on this game in mass quantities to get these winning decks.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

A Moose posted:

A lot of the games are about playing smart with your Teferi, your early removal, and then playing your 5 drops in the right order and getting good value from them when you play them without Fires on the table. Wyatt Darby (PT Dom champion) was jamming fires on stream two nights ago to prepare for the MCQ, if you want to learn the ins and outs of the deck it would probably be worth checking out the VOD

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just to clarify, my last 4 matches have been against food, esper control, azorius control, and food. I'm also not sure you guys know what fires looks like. I have no idea how or why its a top deck though, it seems to be "pray you get fires and the fires survives to turn 5 and you get a 5th land and you have 2 big creatures, 1 of which is cavalier of flames or kenrith and your opponent doesn't have any interaction. And THIS is supposed to be the 1 deck that can actually beat food.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't know.... It was fun winning my way up to gold with a mono-red aggro deck before I realized apparently nobody likes them and they get easily countered by the people playing massacre girl into mayhem devil, cat,oven decks.

Lately all of the decks I play against are unoriginal as gently caress and are always the same old Jund Food or Jeskai Fires variants. It's really tiresome that I never see anything different or fun. In the end my entire game depends on how lucky I get on my draws versus my opponents. I'm also convinced the matchmaker identifies my deck and specifically matches me with Jund Food or Jeskai because I refuse to believe the entire player base for this game consists almost exclusively of those builds. That would imply people have spent more than 300+ dollars on this game in mass quantities to get these winning decks.

The majority of magic players do in fact play good decks, especially when you are playing Ranked and get into a decent bracket like Platinum+

You do not need to spend money on this game to craft a decent deck, if you play regularly for any amount of time you will amass the wildcards you need to build a good deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

you're playing mono red aggro, an archetype that has existed for over 20 years, and you're crying about "unoriginal as gently caress" lmao are you loving kidding me

breaking new ground in deckbuilding by combining mountains and burn spells and little shitters

can't stop laughing

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lone Goat posted:

##vote fireborn

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Gotta start 2020 off right and denounce those unoriginal netdeckers.

Shoutouts to those motherfuckers that block and use combos in fighting games.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone know how much XP the momir planeswalker event gives? It seems like a ripoff given the buy in

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's always going to be funny since standard is all sign-posted decks with keystone mythics and simple combos. Everyone playing Standard is a netdecker unless you discover something like Kethis late season.

At best you might be netdecking a draft deck.

Dpulex posted:

Anyone know how much XP the momir planeswalker event gives? It seems like a ripoff given the buy in

It's a rip off if you're not getting 3 good levels

Also expect them to grow tighter on XP going further. The pinching has begun.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't give a gently caress about pioneer where is my regularly playable brawl and historic?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

##vote fireborn

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't give a gently caress about pioneer where is my regularly playable brawl
Uh they announced that

Brawlidays was a huge success so you get Brawlidays every months now

New 10k gold every month

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Pack 2 Pick 4
Fireborn Knight 5 Votes

Lone Goat posted:

Selections:
P2P4: Fireborn Knight

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That's the not the same as being able to queue for it like bo3.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Do I need to craft Rampaging Ferocidons for my Historic sideboard?

They don't seem that useful with Field of the Dead banned. I mean lifegain isn't really a thing in Historic is it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Funkdreamer posted:

Do I need to craft Rampaging Ferocidons for my Historic sideboard?

They don't seem that useful with Field of the Dead banned. I mean lifegain isn't really a thing in Historic is it?

there are lifegain decks in historic but, like, don't craft things until you feel like you need them for your sideboard

maybe toss a tibalt or two in there in the interim

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
competitive magic will not be balanced until rampaging ferocidons are banned in all formats

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
##Trapped in the tower

It could be better but it still the best control white has

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ferocidon is absolutely a top tier RDW card, main deckable over Chainwhirler. If you think you want to be playing aggressive red in Historic it's a perfectly good craft.

That said, I would not craft anything for Historic until the queue comes back in a few months.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Historic is a lot of fun, though. It's probably 25% Teferi decks, 25% Llanowar Elves decks, and half misc. nonsense. Nothing seems to be broken enough to be overrepresented, I don't think I've ever played against cat oven.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
play this deck https://deckstats.net/decks/3043/1517901-bg-enchantress/en

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I played rdw to mythic last month without ferocidons. Three tibalt in sideboard. Worried ferocidon is vulnerable to board wipe when tibalt isn't, but the inclusion of murderous rider into epser,golgari and sultai means both are pretty vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TheTofuShop posted:

Pack 2 Pick 4
Fireborn Knight 5 Votes

Selections:
P2P4: Fireborn Knight

##vote tower

for those who are visual processors, this is what our deck looks like, after taking this tower

(paladin should prob end up in the sideboard eventually)

our top end is sorted, we're really looking to fill out our curve going forward.