Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

ahobday posted:

Just in case anyone wonders when they're throwing requests like these into the well of the internet, I want you all to know that I see them and do update the wiki.

Oh just some additional stuff to add for Outer Worlds then, since there are some stuff I really wished I know before my 1st playthrough:

1. The best 1st level perk hands down is the Deadly Demonstrations perk, which is +50% XP from companion kills. Now that may not sounds like much, but actually your companions' kills already give you 100% experience before the perk, so the perk enables you to get 1.5x experience for the rest of the game as long as you let your companions finish off stuff. May be too micromanagey though.

2. 1 of the most effective skill threshold is Inspiration 60, since for just an additional 10 points from 50, you'll get so many more additional "free" points from your companions & even the armor they wore. You can even 100% some stuff with only 50 hard skill points invested.

3. Companions's skills gotten from armor will grant you 25% of their bonus only for the skills which they naturally grant. Eg, Persuade for Parvati. This armor bonus increases to 50% with Inspiration 60.

4. High lockpick means lots of containers being lockpicked for free due the "1 = free" skill threshold, hence saving you lots of Mag Picks over time.

5. Perception is the most checked attribute in dialog ever, so keep it High if possible even with a non-combative character.

6. You literally don't lose anything (karma/reputation etc) from stealing stuff, as long as nobody sees you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

pentyne posted:

Is that the Asian vampire one? I remember one boss that just melted in 10 seconds from the flamethrower and all that build up about how powerful they were compared to Kindred.

I had to brute force blood pack the one holy warrior because he uses a powerful rifle and keeps teleporting around when you start melee.
We found the one person who never heard about the unofficial patch (which nerfs the flamethrower into the ground)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Glagha posted:

Having done a playthrough recently, I'm gonna reiterate definitely keep up on your combat skills because toward the late half of the game you'll be fighting constantly.

Ah, thanks, I'll stop feeling bad about not playing it.

If people are ever wondering what to write about a game for the wiki, I think a hint about how much of the gameplay consists of unavoidable combat is really helpful.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I still think that VTM is a good game by the way, but the last half feels very rushed with some long combat gauntlets. The unofficial patch did a good job of relieving some of that though by like, offering a skip for the sewer hell dungeon.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Glagha posted:

I still think that VTM is a good game by the way, but the last half feels very rushed with some long combat gauntlets. The unofficial patch did a good job of relieving some of that though by like, offering a skip for the sewer hell dungeon.

Almost all the combat including the mandatory boss battles (and anti-mandatory "you shouldn't actually fight the werewolf") should be patched out really. They're so bad.

The game could be played as a Telltale game and the good bits would be just as good.

Definitely replaying the game as Malk is a pro choice. It helps with the meta level.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Any help for someone starting SD Gundam G Generations Cross Rays? I've played some of the previous game and I know they've made a few changes, like Raid Teams only being able to heal each other, rather than on a battleship and sending out squads to do timed missions, but what other stuff should I know? I feel like I'm missing a lot because the in-game tutorials are a little sparse.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I picked up Rise of Nations and didn't see anything on the wiki.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

limp_cheese posted:

I picked up Rise of Nations and didn't see anything on the wiki.

There is a hard cap on resource generation that can only be increased with Commerce research. Mousing over the production chart will tell you how efficient you are with your production. You can hit the cap, even with maxed research, fairly easily with very few cities.

The more buildings in a city, the more health it has, so it can be worth it to build buildings you may not directly need if you think those cities will be in danger.

Scout towers upgrade into Anti-Air once you hit the Modern Age. They also get more expensive.

Science research makes ALL other research cheaper, including unit upgrades and other library tracks.

You can make a production building repeat its queue infinitely by hitting Q.

Money income is directly related to the number of cities you have as well as the amount of territory you control. Territory income can be boosted via the temple building.

Each city can only have one Wonder, but you can have multiple Wonders in your nation. An early good one is the Terracotta Army, as it will constantly stream out basic infantry for free, letting you do a lot of early scouting and harassment for very little investment. Note that it slows down its own production speed the more units you have.

In Conquer the World games, Wonders won't activate their benefits until you have 4 Civic research unless the wonder is in the map you're fighting on.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I bought Civilization VI, really enjoying it but having trouble figuring it out. I was born in 1985 I have somehow never played a Civ game before lol. I got real frustrated because I only had two cities, and I had that chucklefuck from Rome next door dogging me about not having enough cities. Are there any tips you guys have for starting out a new Civ, or for beginners? Not looking to outright cheeze the game or anything, but just some general tips for a new player.

Kill everyone you meet as soon as it is feasible to do so. The AI are going to betray and berate you the entire game even if you try to be nice.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Thanks for the Rise of Nations stuff.

Julius CSAR posted:

I bought Civilization VI, really enjoying it but having trouble figuring it out. I was born in 1985 I have somehow never played a Civ game before lol. I got real frustrated because I only had two cities, and I had that chucklefuck from Rome next door dogging me about not having enough cities. Are there any tips you guys have for starting out a new Civ, or for beginners? Not looking to outright cheeze the game or anything, but just some general tips for a new player.

I don't know if its still viable but I would always pump out a few military units and take over my closest neighbor. Cities are incredibly weak in the early game and the AI didn't know how to defend.

The AI will always be yelling at you for bullshit things. For a while there was a bug where Ghandi would berate you for not having nukes in the Ancient Era. I know Harold Bluetooth will bug you constantly if you don't build a navy to the point he becomes the top of my kill list when I find him.

Because of districts you need to be really careful about land management. Unless they changed it districts are permanent and can only be destroyed by destroying the city. You should have at least one of each district and some of the buildings in them have a radius that gives bonuses to other cities. These don't stack anymore but it was fun when a single city was being affected by 6 industrial bonuses.

Pay attention to what improvements you're putting down. Almost everything syncs up with something else to give better bonuses when improvements are next to each other or districts. An example is farms increase their yields based on how many other farms they are touching.

I wish i had more to offer but this game didn't click with me the way Civ 5 did and I haven't played it since the first expansion came out.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Is there any tips for Judgement outside of the drone racing bit on the wiki? Particular skills to go after or anything?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

srulz posted:

1. The best 1st level perk hands down is the Deadly Demonstrations perk, which is +50% XP from companion kills. Now that may not sounds like much, but actually your companions' kills already give you 100% experience before the perk, so the perk enables you to get 1.5x experience for the rest of the game as long as you let your companions finish off stuff. May be too micromanagey though.

I disagree with this point about Outer Worlds. I maxed out my level several hours before the end of the game by doing sidequests without this perk. Also IIRC most of the XP you get in the game is from completing quests, not combat.

Re-spec'ing is cheap and easy after the first 20% of the game though, so it doesn't matter too much.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Anyone have tips for a second play through of Remant: From the Ashes? I made it through the first time fine thanks to overleveld friends but want to make sure there are no traps in the ‘post game’.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Anyone have tips for a second play through of Remant: From the Ashes? I made it through the first time fine thanks to overleveld friends but want to make sure there are no traps in the ‘post game’.

The "post game" is just "play everything again with a few random changes" forever. I guess I would say save your simulcrums. You need one to get the last level of any weapon or piece of armor. Otherwise just keep playing the maps and hope you get something new this time. Don't be afraid after a reroll to upload your save here, the chances for some of the random areas feels so low and they are so far in the zone its madness. I think I had to reset the world 20 times to find one with the assault rifle.

I would suggest joining other people's games and following their lead. You'll probably get some new poo poo and learn new ways to kill the bosses.

Since you already know how to kill the final boss that's huge. It took me a few tries to figure it out and I would still regularly get games with people that had tons of sick equipment that had no idea what to do. Anyways, you should have gotten a consumable from him that let's you reset all your trait points so don't worry too much about those. Its hard to gently caress yourself on them anyways and as far as I'm aware there is no cap to how many trait point you can earn. There IS a cap on how many trait points you can put in something, that's 25.

Don't be afraid to look up how to get things online.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Anything for Titanfall 2 ? Just the singleplayer stuff, poking it because it was free on PS+, but wiki seems a nope.

EDIT : 'Just play it, no gotchas' is also useful info as a reminder

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah just shoot things and run around on walls. That's pretty much it unless you want to find the meaningless collectibles. It's really good, albeit too short, experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tylana posted:

Anything for Titanfall 2 ? Just the singleplayer stuff, poking it because it was free on PS+, but wiki seems a nope.

Much like Warframe, you have a passive to enemies missing you when you're wallrunning and stuff

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Tylana posted:

This is an interesting point. Maybe we should be creating wiki pages for games that really need no advice before starting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wiki has dated info about Stardew Valley's skill professions being permanent. They can be changed with money now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ahobday posted:

This is an interesting point. Maybe we should be creating wiki pages for games that really need no advice before starting.

If it's fairly well agreed that you should just start playing and there are no traps, it probably wouldn't hurt. Or when the only advice is "go in blind, spoilers would ruin it for you".

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zaodai posted:

If it's fairly well agreed that you should just start playing and there are no traps, it probably wouldn't hurt. Or when the only advice is "go in blind, spoilers would ruin it for you".

There's been a few times that I would have appreciated having that on the wiki. Or even a single page that's just a list of games where this applies.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah maybe just a page that says to go in blind and/or no gotchas that multiple games in the list can link to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Brightman posted:

Yeah maybe just a page that says to go in blind and/or no gotchas that multiple games in the list can link to.
I disagree with making it one specific page, rather than just having individual pages that say it. Adds an extra step to looking a game up. It's not like the site is hurting for bandwidth so badly that a page with a single line of text is going to break anything.

Example:
"Hmm, I wanna play X, lemme check the wiki."
'Ctrl+F'
"No results. I'll ask the thread. Oh, the thread says it's on a separate page. Why isn't it just on the list of games, then?"

vs

"Hm, I want to play X, lemme check the wiki."
'Ctrl+F'
"Don't look up spoilers, no real gotchas. Cool. Onward!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
One thing you may want to do is standardize whether a game that begins with 'The' will always be under 'T' or under the first letter of the following word. Though really prolly everyone just finds their game with ctrl+f anyway.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

PMush Perfect posted:

I disagree with making it one specific page, rather than just having individual pages that say it. Adds an extra step to looking a game up. It's not like the site is hurting for bandwidth so badly that a page with a single line of text is going to break anything.

Example:
"Hmm, I wanna play X, lemme check the wiki."
'Ctrl+F'
"No results. I'll ask the thread. Oh, the thread says it's on a separate page. Why isn't it just on the list of games, then?"

vs

"Hm, I want to play X, lemme check the wiki."
'Ctrl+F'
"Don't look up spoilers, no real gotchas. Cool. Onward!"

I said they'd link to it. Like they'd be in the game list but it's just the same page that they all link to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Brightman posted:

I said they'd link to it. Like they'd be in the game list but it's just the same page that they all link to.

That'd still lead to the issue that the page itself wouldn't be named after the game if you were using the search box instead of Ctrl+F'ing the game list page.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I just want to thank everyone involved for the continued existance of beforeiplay. I have recently started RE2 and the wiki page for it has really let me focus on enjoying the game instead of worrying about certain game mechanics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One thing you may want to do is standardize whether a game that begins with 'The' will always be under 'T' or under the first letter of the following word.

It's amazing how many huge companies do not implement this in any kind of list or database of their products.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For Prey (2017): is the “manipulate items from a distance” neuromod useful? It sounds like it would be but I don’t wanna waste one of my two safe alien mod spots if not. The description is a bit vague and for all I know it can’t do anything that the nerf gun can’t do better.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

For Prey (2017): is the “manipulate items from a distance” neuromod useful? It sounds like it would be but I don’t wanna waste one of my two safe alien mod spots if not. The description is a bit vague and for all I know it can’t do anything that the nerf gun can’t do better.

Eh. Morph is more important, I would take both trees of that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

Mimic Matter is the thing that gets you into places you can't otherwise. TK is fun, but doesn't really change anything. EDIT : But it does let you pick things up straight into your inventory thruogh grates and stuff.

You don't need to be very scared about taking spoopy mods once you have some gear and understanding of the game. OTOH, not taking any spoopy mods ever is also ezpz. Like, three minor closets with non-unique mods are blocked (though the nerf shot in the morgue is a bit tricksy).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks! I already picked up mimic matter, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else in there that's useful for exploration. I'm playing on easy so I don't really care too much about any combat-oriented abilities, since that's already not a challenge (although that does mean the turrets will be pushovers so I shouldn't care either way)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks! I already picked up mimic matter, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything else in there that's useful for exploration. I'm playing on easy so I don't really care too much about any combat-oriented abilities, since that's already not a challenge (although that does mean the turrets will be pushovers so I shouldn't care either way)
If you're worried about combat, Psychoshock is probably the most useful power for that. It neutralizes most of the actually dangerous enemies.

For gently caress's sake, now I want to replay Prey.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s really good and I’m ashamed I let it sit in my backlog for so long

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Anything I should know before I try playing The Guild 2 again? I've got it plain as well as the pirate and renaissance ones, and will likely try all three eventually.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One thing you may want to do is standardize whether a game that begins with 'The' will always be under 'T' or under the first letter of the following word. Though really prolly everyone just finds their game with ctrl+f anyway.

This is meant to be standardised - it's just that you need to take an extra step when creating a page to make sure the "The" is ignored. I've done that for all of the "The" titles under "T", now, so pages should be found under the letter of the following word, as you say.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ahobday posted:

This is meant to be standardised - it's just that you need to take an extra step when creating a page to make sure the "The" is ignored. I've done that for all of the "The" titles under "T", now, so pages should be found under the letter of the following word, as you say.

That's cool, thanks! If Lobok's right (gonna assume they are) then that puts you ahead of Big Business! :v:

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
While we're on the subject of the wiki: when you're searching, the suggested articles with matching names won't appear if you're not matching capitalization. I noticed it when searching for DQ11: typing 'Dragon Quest' displays suggested articles with that title, but 'dragon quest' does not.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Truman Sticks posted:

While we're on the subject of the wiki: when you're searching, the suggested articles with matching names won't appear if you're not matching capitalization. I noticed it when searching for DQ11: typing 'Dragon Quest' displays suggested articles with that title, but 'dragon quest' does not.

You're right - I always assumed that the auto-suggest was just patchy and didn't work sometimes, but it's case sensitivity. What's weird is that it seems to ignore whether the first letter of your search is the right case, so "dragon Qu" will return "Dragon Quest".

I've looked into it, and without installing an extension that requires command line access to install, I can't fix this.

You probably already know this, but if you just hit enter on your search query, the Search Results page will show you the pages, matching case or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain the strategy behind boarding windows in RE2 (besides it keeps out zombies)

Also whoever said about checking the map is DEFINITELY right, I'm COMPLETELY out of ammo currently because I've been killing zombies instead of just shooting off legs to slow them down and it's the map is super helpful in avoiding a certain someone who's gonna give it to me.