Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I have been using Spotify when listening to music.

However, I'm sure many people are familiar with how these services tend to pay artists like poo poo.

This makes me consider that I could possibly use other platforms, as they give the artists significantly more money..

It seems that Tidal and Napster top the list. Tidal seems interesting but it seems like the butt of the joke a lot of the time. And Napster may be the highest but I haven't heard any impressions on it.

Which streaming service would you recommend?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
use spotify or whatever but treat it like you're paying $10 a month for the most convenient piracy of all time.

buy things from artists (vinyl records are a fun hobby and a good conversation piece) and go to their shows. if you really like them, buy things at their shows. if you're really against physical things, buy digital records from artists on bandcamp or similarly direct services. and, of course, if you cannot afford to do this on a regular basis, that is okay, as we all live under a hell cloud called capitalism, and that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to listen to music

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

use spotify or whatever but treat it like you're paying $10 a month for the most convenient piracy of all time.

buy things from artists (vinyl records are a fun hobby and a good conversation piece) and go to their shows. if you really like them, buy things at their shows. if you're really against physical things, buy digital records from artists on bandcamp or similarly direct services. and, of course, if you cannot afford to do this on a regular basis, that is okay, as we all live under a hell cloud called capitalism, and that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to listen to music

So I should just use whatever and spend $10 a month directly on the artist?

I guess that's fine, but I'd also like to "put pressure on the streaming market" by going with a service where the artist actually makes at least a penny for my listen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I should just use whatever and spend $10 a month directly on the artist?

Yeah, just buy a record every now and then. I'm on spotify and I know a ton of other musicians who are, from locals to big indie darlings, and it's basically really cheap advertising.

There really isn't a streaming service that pays well. The ones that pay more than Spotify also get you way less exposure, and if you set up your page correctly it's wayyyyy easier for new people to see you on Spotify than anywhere else

It would rule if someone came along and made a streaming service that pays a lot AND has the infrastructure to support that, but it's just not likely that will ever happen, for a bunch of reasons :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Musicians should unionize.

precision posted:

Yeah, just buy a record every now and then. I'm on spotify and I know a ton of other musicians who are, from locals to big indie darlings, and it's basically really cheap advertising.

There really isn't a streaming service that pays well. The ones that pay more than Spotify also get you way less exposure, and if you set up your page correctly it's wayyyyy easier for new people to see you on Spotify than anywhere else

It would rule if someone came along and made a streaming service that pays a lot AND has the infrastructure to support that, but it's just not likely that will ever happen, for a bunch of reasons :(

How much do you and your friends get paid per month from streaming?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I personally make very little though it's still more than I'd expect based on how little promotion and playing shows I've done in the past year. I haven't asked anyone else exact numbers, but I know the most famous of them don't really consider Spotify capable of being their sole source of income, even though it should be if you look at how many plays they have

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This is interesting. I always assumed artists were paid by the second/minute of playtime. Does one song = one play? Do the algorithms throw out people who only listen to half a track? Or ten seconds of it? If so, surely artists who put out albums full of 7+ minute opuses are hosed?

If so, surely the best way for artists to make a living this way is to put out shorter songs?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

stev posted:

If so, surely the best way for artists to make a living this way is to put out shorter songs?
Some artists have definitely been taking advantage of the streaming algorithms with albums that have a lot of short songs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's very much a thing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
1. YEAH
2. THATS
3. VERY MUCH
4. A
5. THING

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite is how 13 Blues For 13 Moons starts out with 13 tracks that are all a few seconds each

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Streaming bad Bandcamp good

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah, that's very much a thing.

I assume it's why most new hip hop artists tracks are as long as punk songs.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Streaming bad Bandcamp good

god I wish the Bandcamp app was better i.e. it allowed you to download offline music. it's pretty useless and their solution is "login to the web app and download the files to your phone I guess idk"

Aricascade
Jan 7, 2020

Living like it's 2006
I only say Spotify since I have spent years finding artists and since I work and can't use my phone I have to buy the music anyway. Been to plenty of concerts and have bought digital and if I really like the artist or album a physical copy as well.
I'm aware Spotify is lovely with what it gives the artists but unironically I have been exposed to music and genres I would have never listened too before. The suggestions at least for me are surprisingly effective.

Apple music I haven't used all that much. I don't like the interface but then I never really grew up with ipods to grow accustomed to it.
Amazon I use for digital downloads and not Amazon Music I could with prime but I have gotten a lot of songs and playlists on spotify to move to a new one. :shrug:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I've found Youtube Music to be a pretty nifty application. I don't see it on the list.....as I'm guessing that they pay artists a little better than standard Youtube.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 17, 2020

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

my bony fealty posted:

god I wish the Bandcamp app was better i.e. it allowed you to download offline music. it's pretty useless and their solution is "login to the web app and download the files to your phone I guess idk"

Most of my friends in bands say bandcamp is the best way to support them outside of buying stuff at shows. If you purchase the music you get unlimited downloads otherwise i think you just get three listens. I've never had a problem streaming or downloading anything.

I have been listening to mixcloud.com There is a lot of crap to wade through but it is awesome if you find some djs you like. I think the site revenue is split 60/40 artists/mixcloud

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

The Bandcamp app hasn't really had any features added since it was released, I wish there were was ways to sort via songs, artists, and albums like any other typical music player. Offline downloads would also be nice. Personal wish but also would enjoy playlists (Mostly because one artist I like puts out multiple similar themed albums but they are short, about 15-20 each with 5 songs. wanna listen to them one after another but its annoying to have to keep picking my phone up, finding the other album/ep, playing, putting it down, then repeating again a little bit later).

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I got bored of music with spotify (always listening to same things) so I started buying CDs from second hand shops and ripping them into iTunes and it's quite fun, even though you end up with stuff like the Real McCoy and Willie Nelson instead of the Arcade Fires or whatevs. You should do that OP.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I've tried tidal and spotify and apparently both are designed by the same idiot where "play album B after album A is finished" is either impossible (spotify), or requires weird workaround that you have to think about before playing album A, or if it is already playing you're hosed (tidal). I don't give a gently caress about playlists, because I want to be able to queue random album after current one finishes.

Is there a streaming service, preferably with offline play option (tidal is giving me 504 today, great!), that has this unthinkable feature? Or am I better off just using ye olde windows media player and try to buy albums where possible? On this note, are there good places to buy digital versions? (I don't care that much about having tons of CDs or something). I know bandcamp is good, but it hardly has everything, and when I tried to buy digital versions of something it was either google, apple (lol, I expect some fuckery there, or taking an ungodly cut from sales) or something that refused to sell to me because I'm from europe (thanks!).

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

Morning Bell posted:

I got bored of music with spotify (always listening to same things) so I started buying CDs from second hand shops and ripping them into iTunes and it's quite fun, even though you end up with stuff like the Real McCoy and Willie Nelson instead of the Arcade Fires or whatevs. You should do that OP.

Started doing something similar to this. Got myself an iPod Mini 2nd gen recently, to which I flash modded it to 256gb, and been using that. Also a friend of mine told me he was going to send me some cds, so I got a cd/dvd external drive. Using this as an excuse, been going to thrift stores to see what they have. Bought like, 15 or so cds in the last week lmao. Rip them to iTunes and plop them on me iPod, really nice

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Maybe that's the answer.

We should start our own Goon ran music streaming service.

We just have to think of a name...

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The virgin streaming service versus the chad soulseek file hoarder

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

commando in tophat posted:

Is there a streaming service, preferably with offline play option (tidal is giving me 504 today, great!), that has this unthinkable feature?
Apple Music will let you add an album to “Play Next” in both online and offline modes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I love apple music for their playlists, I have found so many new artists just listening to like the alternative/pop/folk playlists. I also love that they have playlists for people getting into certain bands and playlists with deeper cuts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Personal opinion: Don't give a poo poo about the labels, and when it's safe go to as many concerts as you can, because that's where artists make money.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Honestly, if you really care about supporting artists, I'd go with Bandcamp. It doesn't have everything, sure, but nine times out of ten, if an artist really needs your support, they'll have a Bandcamp. Bigger artists probably won't.
And, yeah, buy a record or a cassette every now and then, if that's your thing.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm struggling with the decision as well. I pay for spotify premium, but on the whole I do not like it from a user standpoint.

Spotify complaints:
- "Artist Radio" is a static, curated list. If you like listening to lesser-know bands, they have really small playlists that get old real quick.
- No ability to "thumbs down". Theoretically you can, only on mobile, go to the artist page and select "do not play this" but it doesn't seem to work for me. Also doesn't work on the desktop app.
- Shuffle is a joke, on larger playlists it still seems like you're hearing 20% of the songs 80% of the time.

I'm real close to canceling.

I know this makes me sound old, but I used to use pandora and liked it quite a bit, I had my stations trained pretty well. One thing I don't really like about pandora (and similar to spotify) is that the explicit content filter is account-wide, not station-wide. I'd like a "current pop music" station I could put on for the family and have it be clean, on pandora it seems it's at the account-level. When I switch back to "angry young man music" I'm cool with hearing explicit content. Maybe I'll try the pandora premium (I previously had plus or whatever) and see how I like that.

I've tried Youtube music for a while, but I thought their algorithm-based stations were dogshit, even compared to the now-dead google play music. I already pay for youtube premium so I already have it, I just don't listen to it. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

Spotify with proper algorithm based stations and training would be fine, but as it sits I don't understand how it's the (overwhelmingly) most popular paid streaming platform.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dreesemonkey posted:

Spotify with proper algorithm based stations and training would be fine, but as it sits I don't understand how it's the (overwhelmingly) most popular paid streaming platform.

First big service.
Worldwide fairly quickly.
Half price for students.
First to offer family plans?
Occasional subscription sales.
Platform independent from the beginning.
Was early to the game with sharing playlists.
Nothing is clearly, obviously better.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My personal approach is I buy bandcamp releases along with physical stuff (vinyl usually) but use Spotify. I'm not a fan of having a bunch of mp3s and poo poo, so basically my spotify mirrors my CD and record collection. There's definitely stuff I enjoy on spotify that I don't own physical media of, but if I like it enough it's 90% likely I'll buy it.

Spotify pays gently caress all, so I give back by buying at shows as much as I can. I've been trying to convince a couple of my favourite local bands to do a vinyl release but they say it isn't feasible.

Gem in the collection has to be a local band who signed it with a bunch of dicks.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Spotify complaints:
- Shuffle is a joke, on larger playlists it still seems like you're hearing 20% of the songs 80% of the time.

Thank god I'm not the only one annoyed by this.

I'm subscribed to a playlist "Deep Dive: 00s Rock".
This playlist is 500 songs in size.
Shuffle:
- First song is in the first 30 items of the playlist
Press next: same, next: same, next: same. Only after maybe 20 songs will it pick something further down.

Other pet peeve: Release Radar. Each week more and more artists with the same name as an artist I'm following invade my playlist.

No, I don't think some artist with less than 20 monthly listeners had a collaboration with Lamb, or Ef, or The Cult, or Moss (this was all from last week)
edit: This week it was Mono, Lissie and Low

Ohh, and no version release notes to be found. Just some generic "twiddled some knobs" text. So who knows what actually is fixed.

Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 19, 2021

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Apple Music would be the best: great curated playlists, decent discovery (outside of the actual "Made for You" stuff, which tends to be mediocre), plus excellent integration of your own music for rarities and bootlegs. Unfortunately, I found the Android experience to be close to unusable,* and I wasn't able to get gapless album playback from an ios device over Bluetooth speakers.

*Unusable, meaning that the app would "forget" that I had liked certain songs, or would refuse to add songs to or remove songs from my library. I got to a point where I simply couldn't trust the app any more, which is not a "it just works" experience. Also had a repeated experience where a song would suddenly get linked to some ex-US artist playlist or promotional "Single of the Week", and could no longer be played in my library.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just find "buy Bandcamp" to not be the best solution for the industry due to everyone streaming anyway. I wish streaming platforms would give adequate revenue to artists.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can’t make the industry pay the artist more. If you want the artists to get money, you have to give it to them yourself.

Incidentally, if you listen to spotify on your desktop a lot and want to cancel your premium sub, you can use spotify in a web app at http://open.spotify.com/ and your adblocker will block ads. No mobile app limitations, but the queue is real bad.

Edit: If you’re fine with curated shows, the BBC Sounds app has all their music programming, including past shows. Free worldwide. No idea how they pay the artists but I think radio play pays better than streaming?? :britain:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 18, 2021

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

First big service.
Worldwide fairly quickly.
Half price for students.
First to offer family plans?
Occasional subscription sales.
Platform independent from the beginning.
Was early to the game with sharing playlists.
Nothing is clearly, obviously better.

I will concede these are good points for how it became the most popular streaming service, though not necessarily how to keep a subscriber happy.

I ended up canceling my premium subscription. I want to like it, but if I'm going to complain about something anyway I'll save $11/mo just using youtube music which I already get by having youtube premium or whatever it's called now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish Google Music never shut down but I hear YouTube Music sorta changed their interface to look like GPM. I loving HATED the beta of YTM. Looked like total dog poo poo. I went to Spotify and it's fine but the radio stuff has some poo poo algorithms. I generally found some new stuff on GPM but here it eventually just goes to surface level bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The most annoying thing about YouTube music is that your playlists and subscription are the same as in YouTube, so my 100+ music playlists would poo poo up my YouTube and I couldn’t follow an artist in ytm without also being subscribed to their videos on YouTube. It’s so stupid.