Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Huh, you're right, he was called "President". I never noticed that mistake until now.

One of my side jobs is freelance editor, and if I did not catch a mistake like that, I would be a very piss-poor freelance editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The game conveniently prevents you from taking both Laura and Fie in there, lowering the odds of walking into the fight with a team where nobody's capable of handling the bosses. That said, the way the game is probably expecting the player to handle it is letting Rean dash off to the side and then locking two of the three down with Ark Slash while the casters pile on the magical damage. (they never move and have no resistence to AT Delay) That big fat 100 next to AT Delay in their status window was pretty much a "Delay Me" sign, especially since they're probably the only boss in this part of the game that has no delay resistence whatsoever. They were banking on the assumption that players wouldn't use Ark Slash because it does no damage despite the fact its status effect still procs even if the attack itself is ineffective. Their full-screen speed-lowering craft was pretty much added to ever so slightly blunt the effectiveness of the locking-down strategy.

Note that if you KNOW there's a boss coming up, it's usually best to save your game and restore if you get a game over so you can recalibrate your equipment/orbment setup so you don't have to deal with stuff like their confusion poo poo a second time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some Numbers LP didn't go well this fight either, and he wasn't playing blind.

Erpy posted:

The game conveniently prevents you from taking both Laura and Fie in there, lowering the odds of walking into the fight with a team where nobody's capable of handling the bosses. That said, the way the game is probably expecting the player to handle it is letting Rean dash off to the side and then locking two of the three down with Ark Slash while the casters pile on the magical damage. (they never move and have no resistence to AT Delay) That big fat 100 next to AT Delay in their status window was pretty much a "Delay Me" sign, especially since they're probably the only boss in this part of the game that has no delay resistence whatsoever. They were banking on the assumption that players wouldn't use Ark Slash because it does no damage despite the fact its status effect still procs even if the attack itself is ineffective. Their full-screen speed-lowering craft was pretty much added to ever so slightly blunt the effectiveness of the locking-down strategy.

I did that fight on Nightmare difficulty recently. My team was almost identical to that used in the video, except I substituted Alisa for Jusis. My strategy was to buff ATS up to +50% then to keep spamming arts. The bosses don't have much health, so I just nuked them down and ignored the speed debuff.

quote:

Note that if you KNOW there's a boss coming up, it's usually best to save your game and restore if you get a game over so you can recalibrate your equipment/orbment setup so you don't have to deal with stuff like their confusion poo poo a second time.

Yes. Bosses are going to get tougher and tougher as the game goes on, and sometimes you'll fight several bosses in a row without a chance to save. Saving doesn't take long, so it's a good idea to save just in case.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh lord, I just remembered the Blue one exists. I somehow always block that out of my mind.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

Oh lord, I just remembered the Blue one exists. I somehow always block that out of my mind.

Remind me to link my video which is literally half-an-hour of failure, because unlike earlier fights, I went into that one completely blind and lacking the right status-blockers.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Hey, just a quick update since I've been kinda quiet in here, the next one's running a bit behind but I've got everything mostly ready to go. It should be up tomorrow night!

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

49. Revelry in the Dark

The next field study teams are announced, and Rean is decidedly unimpressed. Nothing much else really happens.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Sara versus Rean never gets old.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ That bug.... what....? HOW?

~ Track from this update:
Exceed!

Series has good music. It is known.

~ When you went to cast Demonic Scythe on the girls, one of you asked "Why not?" --- neither is immune to Instant Death. You could have KO'd both right then and there and missed an AP. (so... to answer your question: Nothing, unless you're a completionist.)

~ I noticed something on this video I never noticed in my three playthroughs that I'll explain to you about twenty videos from now, if I manage to remember. (I will not remember)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

-They put Transcend Beat in the first game? I'm only used to it being a thing in the second.
-I was waiting last episode for your reactions to Rean going all Cú Chulainn, but yeah there was some delay on that.
-This chapter might be my favorite for the Laura/Fie interactions.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Bang bang pull Rean's devil trigger

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

49. Revelry in the Dark

The next field study teams are announced, and Rean is decidedly unimpressed. Nothing much else really happens.

- "Nothing much happened." Well done, you got a hearty laugh out of me before I even clicked the link to the video.

- I don't know who else is helping END ME SCOOB cheat, but for the record, I'm giving as little info as possible. I didn't even give the midterm exam answers.
- Yes, it's who you think it is, and yes, "Oh no" is the correct reaction.
- "Did she get hit on the head in that Yeti attack?" :laffo: I dunno, but I would not be surprised.
- "Hey, so, let me take you into the Old Schoolhouse. There's this door..." ...Holy poo poo.
- Remember that comment from ages ago? Yes, Rean was TOTALLY a "woods orphan".
- How do you think news about Fie being a Jaeger or Alisa being a Reinford gets spread around campus? Class VII is totaly full of gossips, there's no way they'd miss out listening in on a juicy conversation between Rean and his sister.

- If you do go all the way up to the Old Schoolhouse door, Rean confirms that it's locked up tight.
- WTF... I've never seen that glitch either.
- The music which starts when Elise screams is called "Machinery Attack". The music for the boss battle is "Exceed". These links have no Youtube comments to accidentally read.

- Sometimes (rarely) boss battles will automatically restore your HP/EP and/or CP to full. This one does not, which is why I wanted you to save fishing. So you could get some CP back. You're welcome.
- You're right that it would have maybe been smart for Rean to beat the armor then change, but Rean is scared of his strange power more than almost anything else.

- The game lets you equip your partners in the practical exam before the fight starts.
- The first time, I also picked Alisa for the practical exam partly because I was going for her ending and this gives extra link XP, but mostly because she's not known for her combat skill, so it added to the challenge. (Not really though, because the practical exam is actually intended to be easy this time to show how out of sorts Laura and Fie are.)
- I'm surprised you didn't catch on to the gimmick when Laura and Fie were not selectable.
- The rumors about the headpats are slightly exaggerated... but just slightly.
- "This says 'your sister's house'". :allears:
- Keep playing cards with people, you get link XP with everyone once per trip. It's not once per person for the entire game. Once per person, per trip.

NGDBSS posted:

-They put Transcend Beat in the first game? I'm only used to it being a thing in the second.

No, I don't think so. It's part of the OST for CS 2. There is however, one song in CS 2 which gets played a whole lot which actually does play exactly once in CS 1.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

No, I don't think so. It's part of the OST for CS 2. There is however, one song in CS 2 which gets played a whole lot which actually does play exactly once in CS 1.

Without links, Decisive Collision? Gets remixed as the main theme of CS2, including the wonderful "final" credits?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

Without links, Decisive Collision? Gets remixed as the main theme of CS2, including the wonderful "final" credits?

Close. I was thinking "Unknown Threat". It gets played a LOT in CS2, more so than the one you said. (Also, PM sent.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I actually realized while playing through this section myself that you missed some dialogue in the gym on the morning of the free study of this chapter. It's a very specific timing - it needs to be after you've done Alan's quest, as well as after you've seen Patrick before heading into the Old Schoolhouse.

For the highlight:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That Rean bug is certainly a thing...

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Cyouni posted:

I actually realized while playing through this section myself that you missed some dialogue in the gym on the morning of the free study of this chapter. It's a very specific timing - it needs to be after you've done Alan's quest, as well as after you've seen Patrick before heading into the Old Schoolhouse.

goddammit falcom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G7nsz9zpLo

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

I can't believe I missed the character called Loggins taking someone into the Danger Zone...

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

I can't believe I missed the character called Loggins taking someone into the Danger Zone...

goddammit xseed

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Heimdallr has a lot of NPC's. To save a little time and tedium, those without names typically only have the one thing to say, and there's no point talking to someone without a name (such as "Tourist") to see if their dialogue changes. (It does still change when the main plot advances, though.)

Don't forget to play(read: insta-lose) Blade with the people on the train. You get that 50 XP per Group A member once every field study, not once per character for the whole game. 50 isn't much XP, but it's still 17 battles worth linked to that person.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

50. Hibelle's Probably Not Dead
- F4. Ch.4 Bonding Event Wrap-Up

We arrive at Heimdallr and finally begin peeling the strange onion that is Elliot's backstory.

Don't forget to play(read: insta-lose) Blade with the people on the train. You get that 50 XP per Group A member once every field study, not once per character for the whole game. 50 isn't much XP, but it's still 17 battles worth linked to that person.

Y'know, that was the original plan when we started, and I'd probably still have done it if I was playing the game normally, but a year later I just ... don't feel like it. Life's too short to engage in a part of the game I really don't care for to get a pittance of experience. Consider this an RPG card minigame protest.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 16, 2020

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Fie is a goldmine with zingers whenever she's in the party now that she's getting out of her shell. Speaking of Fie, if you insist on putting Leg Breaker(R) on her (the strength boost may be better than the stat down since Laura's line attack has a 100% chance of inflicting mov-down on stuff it hits) you might be better off replacing Move1 with it rather than Evade 2. Fie's kinda fragile, so she benefits from evasion while her high natural movement stat already makes Move1 semi-redundant.

Vainqueur Street is pronounced in-game as "Venkar Street".

No, the merchants in the Celdic Market who had their stalls ruined were Marco and Heinz, the latter being a merchant from the capital.

I think "Lieutenant General Craig" was briefly shouted about by one of the soldiers in the intro sequence, but it's one of those lines you don't notice until you replay the game.

If you played the Sky trilogy, you should already know what happened to the Guild branch and who was responsible. (it wasn't Fie's corps Zephyr)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Level 1 Thief posted:

We arrive at Heimdallr and finally begin peeling the strange onion that is Elliot's backstory.

~ Well, you might have missed a key development, so I'll hide it behind spoiler tags Elliot likes music

quote:

Y'know, that was the original plan when we started, and I'd probably still have done it if I was playing the game normally, but a year later I just ... don't feel like it. Life's too short to engage in a part of the game I really don't care for to get a pittance of experience. Consider this an RPG card minigame protest.

~ ....you know, maybe I should quit my job.

~ Your reaction to Kenneth's moat story is a delight.

~ Fie is the best girl, and only gets better.

~ Every chapter has a new Master Quartz available for sale.

~ I'm constantly aggravated that a fictional country that's in many ways still in the Industrial revolution has a better public transit system than the United States.

~ Doubt all you want (hell, I know I do), but Elliot seems to actually get quite a lot of interest from girls.

~ "Is there any reason why we would want to walk away?" "Maybe if you want to save" -----..................yes. These would be clever times.... to save..... ....and obvious.... to... ever..y....one....

:negative:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ "Is there any reason why we would want to walk away?" "Maybe if you want to save" -----..................yes. These would be clever times.... to save..... ....and obvious.... to... ever..y....one....

:negative:

There are eight autosave slots! It's really okay, I promise!

Erpy posted:

I think "Lieutenant General Craig" was briefly shouted about by one of the soldiers in the intro sequence, but it's one of those lines you don't notice until you replay the game.

It absolutely was, good catch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

That's fair, I guess. Whatever you need to avoid burning out. I just hope you don't end up short 50+ XP short of the XP needed for whoever you want to form a strong bond with. I think I've even seen an LP where someone apparently spread their bonding points around so much that there was only one possible choice

- There's also a pawn shop in Heimdallr which also lets you exchange/trade stuff.
- Fie and Sara definitely get the best lines. So I guess you could say Fie is best girl... if you have no interest in romantic chemistry, or usefulness in boss battles on higher difficulties.
- "I won." :laffo: That was really dark, but I can almost see it.

- Machias and his father seem to get along pretty well.
- The trams are actually the slowest way the game provides you for getting around because of the animations. You can fast-travel via a menu like when in Trista.
- Yeah, all your speculation on Elliot being the poor kid was wrong. His family isn't rich, but they're comfortably well off.
- Elliot said he had an older sister. If Elliot had said "I have a HOT sister", you'd go :yikes:.
- Eh, all Elliot would need to do in his letters is associate names and hair colors.
- You're practically dead-on with that police tape comment.
- Hey now, be fair. ALL stories about Elliot are embarrassing.
- "Violins floor to ceiling." :allears:

- "That operation" is elaborated on a bit more in the Trails in the Sky games.
- If the quest with Alan, and the Schoolhouse Floor 4 bosses weren't enough of a warning, here's another one. You're far enough into the game that you are going to want to start saving the game before fighting mini-bosses, even mid-episode. Bosses are going to become increasingly dangerous and in some cases you may want to reload and re-equip party members.
- The quest at the Alto Street cafe is probably a reason why you aren't allowed to go inside until getting the quest.
- This chapter is pretty light on incidental combat, which makes since you're limited entirely to an urban area.

- Sharon is sweet on Rean largely because Alisa is sweet on Rean. It's a good thing Sharon approves of Rean. There wouldn't be any helping Rean if she did not. If you talk to Sharon after that Alisa bonding event, she'll encourage you to return to Alisa's side.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 16, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fie and Sara definitely get the best lines. So I guess you could say Fie is best girl... if you have no interest in romantic chemistry, or usefulness in boss battles on higher difficulties.

Fie makes for a better little sister than Elise. I always read Rean and Fie's relationship as being more in line with close siblings sibling rather than anything romantic. Also, half the time she's just straight up teasing him about his relationships with the other girls.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fie is definitely more like a younger sister, Emma like an older sister, and Laura more of a healthy rival. Alisa is set up for the romantic option, which I really don't agree with. He's got a lot healthier relationship with someone else, who I can't even remember has any bonding events with at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CottonWolf posted:

Fie makes for a better little sister than Elise. I always read Rean and Fie's relationship as being more in line with close siblings sibling rather than anything romantic. Also, half the time she's just straight up teasing him about his relationships with the other girls.

I largely agree. Although at times their relationship seems to me like Fie sees Rean at least partially as a father figure, a protector.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Fie is definitely more like a younger sister, Emma like an older sister, and Laura more of a healthy rival. Alisa is set up for the romantic option, which I really don't agree with. He's got a lot healthier relationship with someone else, who I can't even remember has any bonding events with at this point.

I don't think I ever got a good read on Rean's relationship with Emma. Laura as rival makes sense, as does Alisa as the romantic option. I will disagree with you about your conclusion and say Alisa is the best romantic option for Rean, although it's the second game which really solidified that for me.

If the someone else you're thinking of is the same as the someone else I'm thinking of, I actually think that relationship is less healthy as they share the same negative traits and so could end up actually reinforcing them. EDIT: And also, the game doesn't really spend enough time with "someone else" to give them much of a personality.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 16, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If the someone else you're thinking of is the same as the someone else I'm thinking of, I actually think that relationship is less healthy as they share the same negative traits and so could end up actually reinforcing them.

If who you're both thinking of is who I'm thinking of, that's potentially true, but they both actually support each other in dealing with their admitted character flaws, so I think it works out. It's my top Rean ship.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Level 1 Thief posted:

It absolutely was, good catch.

One LP I saw managed to catch that on the first run, and upon seeing Elliot's name went - "are you a Lieutenant General". Ended up guessing grandson rather than son.

Fie is definitely best girl, yes.

I'm curious as to exactly what you think is going on re: intention of Class VII.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- Eh, all Elliot would need to do in his letters is associate names and hair colors.

Photo technology exists and barring the two conflicts we have seen, the class gets along very well. He probably sent a few pictures.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cyouni posted:

I'm curious as to exactly what you think is going on re: intention of Class VII.

They're 100% bracers under a different name.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

51. Five District Fiesta

We poke around the capital, where there is absolutely no foreshadowing to be found whatsoever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ RE: Character ages: Fie is 16 by the end of CS1. Everyone else is 17->18 during the first two games, except for Elliot who is 16->17 during that year. Thinking about dating video game teenagers is weird in general, so maybe consider just becoming really good friends with Jusis or Machias (or one of the boring two), and don't worry about the girls. But as far as cognitive development in general, Fie is by no means significantly behind the others. She just happens to be short.

~ For further perspective, though it might not seem like it, everyone in Class VII except for Fie (and plausibly Elliot) is older than Estelle was during Sky FC

~ Cargo's dance is 100% a hype man dance. It's the dance every hype man has when his boy/girl lays down a sweet diss.

~ These are the same Anton and Ricky from the Sky games.

~ I still prefer the lute version of Amber Amour. Lutes are just a sad, yearning instrument.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- The Puppy Strap item at the Bifrost store is another one of those "part of a set"-items you want to pick up one of before the chapter ends since this is your only chance of getting one.

- What makes the Ost-pun work so well is that not only is Amber Amour a song from FC, but it's literally part of the game's OST.

- You missed the house in the north part of the Alto district during your talk-to-everyone-a-thon.

- Kargo and Patiry are two of Cold Steel's best NPCs outside of the ones that get a notebook entry. Your remark about them being all bark and no bite is pretty much on the mark, which is what makes them so amusing. It's my personal headcanon that Machias' weird "girls need to be looked after"-attitude in the Prologue was because he spent most of his childhood in Ost de-escalating confrontations that Patiry's trashtalk set off.

- I barely ended up using the Intimidation quartz. It apparantly lowers the level difference required for monsters to start noping out of charging your character (which in turn depends on the lead character's level), but it barely triggered for me. It's still a free Phantom Phobia though, which is always a nice spell to wreak havoc with with its huge AOE.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sorry for the length of my comments, but it is on 85 minutes of video. Heimdallr is a busy place.

- While it is unfortunate that Elise is a thing at all, thankfully, Cold Steel 1/2 don't push her as a romantic option for Rean.
- Some character notes (for classmates or their friends) are only available through bonding events. It's difficult to fill them all out on a limited bonding-points playthrough without using a guide.
- "There's more violins on the freaking shelves." :allears:
- I suspect all the required quests on Day 1 are to inflate playtime a little to compensate for the lack of combat which you'd normally get travelling from place to place in other regions.
- You can relax, the games do not push Elliot and Fiona as a couple either, because of a thing which you see in CS 2. So don't worry on that front.
- "I think we'll find the record in the OST district." :golfclap:
- The last time we saw Annabelle, she was in Roer, so poor Carrigan looks to be out of luck. Then again, that was a month ago.

***** Final Bonding Stuff *****

- Okay, if you're gonna bring it up now, there is a Strong Bond event which you can have with exactly one person, male or female. It's not as simple as just any of the female party members, there's another requirement, a minimum link level. I was going to bring that up before the Chapter 5 free day because that's the point where you should definitely move towards choosing who you spend bonding points on with that in mind. There is some leeway, some room to spare - for example, I got Rean's link level with Alisa to 5 partway through the Chapter 5 Old Schoolhouse.

For any of the students currently in Class VII, you need to be link Level 5 (5250 XP) with them by the time of the choice - Chapter Seven. Sara is also another option, and requires link level 4.5 (4400 XP). Towa is another option who needs to be link level 3 (2000 XP). That's what spending bonding events on her does. You're not going to get Sara or Towa, who each only have 1500 XP available from link events just from bonding events alone. Those were the only two not available for me on an infinite bonding points run. However if you're a little short, there are certain ways to get the XP up in Chapter Seven. Class VII members have an easier time though, as it's possible to grind Link XP in that chapter if you're a little short, but only for Class VII members.

- I picked Alisa on my first run, and my thoughts were pretty much also "this is good, this works", but CS 2 really sold me that they were a great match. It shouldn't be much of a surprise, considering there's a couple more chapters at least, but Alisa will get some more character development in this game, and it did impress me. Laura and Emma's character development... isn't as notable, especially Emma's. You can probably have three people as possible choices by the time you need to make it if you focus on their bonding events, so there's no need to decide now which you definitely want to pick. You get enough bonding points (and the timing of the events is arranged so) that you can see all remaining bonding events for Emma, Laura and Alisa if you wish and then decide at the end.

- I believe all characters get an upgrade to weapons on free days so you can take them into the old schoolhouse and they'll still be able to fight without draining your wallet.
- I like to give Rean a Tearal or Athelas because he's fast, has little use for EP, and you might need unexpected healing.
- Spoilers, I believe you do get a Volcanic Rain for free this chapter.
- The newspaper request is pretty dull. It's newsboy, intern work. As annoying as mixing up the comments would be, it would at least be at least some challenge.
- Since you seem a little exasperated about needing to talk to NPC's you just talked to, on Day 2, after you're done talking to people on Alto Street, go to LeSage and pick up the optional quest there first before doing the rounds of the other NPC's.
- Rean probably shouldn't be casting offensive magic much at all anyway, he's not very good at it. You could replace that Demonic Scythe with Speed Breaker and free up another slot on his orbment. Intimidation probably does only work on the one it's equipped on.
- The guy who "phased" was just stepping down off the curb.

- (Paraphrasing) "I think they're going to make us sit through an opera in Cold Steel 2." Sort-of! But it's really, really short. :allears:
- Level 1 Thief got it right: Food items which have the "Consumable" (potion bottle) icon are ones which don't have recipes associated.
- Much of the swimming scene dialogue was recorded specifically for the PC version like a year after most of the game's dialogue was in the can, so that might be why it sounded off. But most of the new dialogue fits right in.
- Indeed, that stuff is more for NG+. You might be able to afford one thing here at best, but you'd probably need to make a little Warm Egg Soup.
- The Nord Highlands Doctor? Without checking, I think it was Amr?

- I just noticed right now that you already met Old Man Keaton and Marle - they were in the resturant in Bareahard.
- When buying/exchanging multiple items, you can press up to buy multiple at once instead of one at a time.
- I worked out the math for the top-quality, 24,000 Mira jewelry, and it costs exactly the same to buy the thing outright as it does to buy the component pieces and trading them in using the pawn shop.
- Nadja does have some stuff to say about Machias and Patiry if you talk to her either before being directed to her pawnshop, or after getting the item and leaving the pawn ship. It's really easy to miss because of how the order the game subtly encourages you to visit each district. I missed it too this time.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ RE: Character ages: Fie is 16 by the end of CS1. Everyone else is 17->18 during the first two games, except for Elliot who is 16->17 during that year. Thinking about dating video game teenagers is weird in general, so maybe consider just becoming really good friends with Jusis or Machias (or one of the boring two), and don't worry about the girls. But as far as cognitive development in general, Fie is by no means significantly behind the others. She just happens to be short.

It's fine. The game is rated T. You're not dating the teens, also-a-teen-Rean is and these games don't have any objectionable content anyway.

Erpy posted:

- The Puppy Strap item at the Bifrost store is another one of those "part of a set"-items you want to pick up one of before the chapter ends since this is your only chance of getting one.

Yeah. I have to apologize to END ME SCOOB again because I was right the first time: I forgot that you get TWO "Part of a set" items from Bareahard (one from Anton), so if you have all three non-fishing ones from the previous chapters, you can indeed have all six one-time-only "part of a set items" by the end of this chapter. Upon closer checking, the one available in a later chapter was a duplicate.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2020

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I feel Elise had the potential to be a good character if they’d played her up as a source of insight into Rean’s issues and self-loathing and had also made them have a normal brother-sister relationship instead of what they did do, which is terrible.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It's fine. The game is rated T. You're not dating the teens, also-a-teen-Rean is and these games don't have any objectionable content anyway.

This is my opinion as well.

Veryslightlymad posted:

But as far as cognitive development in general, Fie is by no means significantly behind the others. She just happens to be short.

I'm generally exaggerating when it comes to Fie's age but I do think she's by far the least socially mature member of the cast and it seems odd to jump straight to dating when we're still at the "how does 'friends' work" stage of character development.

- I suspect all the required quests on Day 1 are to inflate playtime a little to compensate for the lack of combat which you'd normally get travelling from place to place in other regions.

This is something I didn't realize until we were recording the next one, but the main quests do require you to visit each district at least once.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I feel Elise had the potential to be a good character if they’d played her up as a source of insight into Rean’s issues and self-loathing and had also made them have a normal brother-sister relationship instead of what they did do, which is terrible.

Y'know, I ended up kind of rooting for Estelle and Joshua after a while. I doubt I'll ever get there with Elise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Ohhhhhhh, we're all talking about Elise and not Alisa. This explains the negativity.

In my defense I'm only pouring my first coffee of the day right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

This is my opinion as well.

I'm generally exaggerating when it comes to Fie's age but I do think she's by far the least socially mature member of the cast and it seems odd to jump straight to dating when we're still at the "how does 'friends' work" stage of character development.

Fie's still slowly coming out of her shell, and her bonding events through the first two games never really seem to paint her relationship with Rean as romantic love, but at best familial love. Only Alisa, Laura, and Emma get romantic undertones, and even then, outside of bonding events only Rean-Alisa get romantic undertones. (Which is at least somewhat justified because Rean risking injury to protect a total stranger in the prologue most strongly affected Alisa).

quote:

Y'know, I ended up kind of rooting for Estelle and Joshua after a while. I doubt I'll ever get there with Elise.

Probably because you're not really meant to.

That Estelle/Joshua relationship was written in a very careful way. We see the introduction, where it's made clear that E&J know they aren't related by blood and are old enough to understand they're not related, then a good long amount of time is given to see them working together, then Estelle's new friends from Jenis make her start to actually examine her own feelings. Most importantly, it's given a good long, gradual build-up over time, especially Estelle sorting her feelings out. A lot of work was put in to ensure that trope was handled in probably the best possible way - even to the point of giving a valid plot reason why the story only really works if they grew up in the same house.

Elise gets none of that. She's introduced four chapters in, after the players have gotten to know everyone else, her most prominent character trait is the crush she has - then she immediately goes and does some not-very bright things, and then after Chapter 4 largely vanishes from the story again.

It's also clear that while Falcom gives the players options who to pick, they definitely have an preference for who Rean's love interest should be, (and it is not his adopted sister).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 24, 2020