Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm going to be making some curry, any tweaks or modifications I should make to the recipe on the box(Golden Curry to be specific)?

Pages 3,4,14,17,22,23,25, 26 have curry discussion, I'm sure theres more.

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been enjoying this youtube channel lately.

This guy does a good job with the izakaya junk food style dishes that I can't help but love.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

I've been enjoying this youtube channel lately.

This guy does a good job with the izakaya junk food style dishes that I can't help but love.

Something I saw in one of his videos - what exactly does 作り置き mean? Just foods that keep well or something?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Something I saw in one of his videos - what exactly does 作り置き mean? Just foods that keep well or something?

Yeah, stuff like pickles or stew or whatever you can make a batch of and keep eating for a week or so.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pollyanna posted:

You make (tsukuru) and leave (oku) it without having to make more or anything. Stuff you can make a big batch and keep eating from it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Batch foods, gotcha. That's what I expected. I should look some of those up, it looks real convenient for meal prep.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ramen! Without going through a hundred pages (sorry) do y'all have a good starter ramen recipe?

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Potato Salad posted:

Ramen! Without going through a hundred pages (sorry) do y'all have a good starter ramen recipe?

Do you have a particular style you’re hoping to replicate? Ramen can be pretty diverse. That said, I made a shoyu ramen I went into details in the dinner thread pretty recently that I thought was fairly simple prep for the soup side of things.

Mykroft posted:

From the ramen subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments/blrqdd/homemade_next_on_my_tour_of_ramen_styles_newwave/

For the base, simmer chicken backs in equal parts water skimming off any scum. When scum stops forming or you’re sick of doing it, I pressure cooked for 20 minutes followed by natural release, the thread calls out cooking times without a pressure cooker. When this is done discard chicken bits and let cool in the fridge so you can skim off the schmaltz and save it.

The tare is 9:1 soy sauce:mirin (I made half the recipe in the link and still have a lot), and to assemble a bowl it’s 1 tbsp schmaltz, 3 tbsp tare, then 350ml broth. Top with another 1tbps of the schmaltz.

I had about 1.5kg of chicken backs to start with and got about 4 bowls worth of broth and schmaltz.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

Define starter. Do you want a recipe with weipaa or chicken stock and some other ingredients that make a serviceable ramen broth that takes 10 minutes or do you mean a proper broth with bones etc?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Potato Salad posted:

If you're not looking to make your own broth, I think this is a pretty good option:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/spicy-shoyu-ramen/

My brother made broth from scratch(scrubbing bones and all that) and it was kind of generally agreed for the effort everyone involved preferred this.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

Catfish Noodlin posted:

If you're not looking to make your own broth, I think this is a pretty good option:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/spicy-shoyu-ramen/

My brother made broth from scratch(scrubbing bones and all that) and it was kind of generally agreed for the effort everyone involved preferred this.

I was going to post this. This is how I got started. It's easy to make (don't bother with the cheese cloth if its a hassle) and everything is pretty easy to find if you can get the chili bean paste.

You can put all kinds of things in there, the same site has a ramen egg recipe that is great for this. I also do the japanese long onions cut into slices. They are expensive tho where I live, but I do like them a lot.

While we're on the topic, I love that site, can anyone recommend another one that is as comprehensive and well written?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Hey so I picked up a bag of what I thought were some kind of pickled lotus roots etc but now it turns out there are cooking instructions on the back of the package. The only English says:
Prepared Vegetable
Marouka Kinpira Mix Mizuni.

I get that I should saute them, with perhaps a seasoning and soy sauce(?). Please reply quickly my family is being held at gun point and the short ribs will be done in half an hour.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hey so I picked up a bag of what I thought were some kind of pickled lotus roots etc but now it turns out there are cooking instructions on the back of the package. The only English says:
Prepared Vegetable

I get that I should saute them, with perhaps a seasoning and soy sauce(?). Please reply quickly my family is being held at gun point and the short ribs will be done in half an hour.

Can't really read anything other than kinpira as your photo appears to be a photo for ants.

But kinpira, heat some sesame oil in the pan, toss the vegetables in, after they are wilted and starting to cook add 2 TBSP mirin, 2 TBSP soy sauce, and 1tsp sugar. Cook it's soften but still has some bit. Remove from the pan, serve up with some sesame seeds and Japanese chili powder.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Prepared Vegetable

The japanese at the top left says Kinpira Mix. Kinpira is a way of cooking veggies like lotus root, gobo root, carrot

https://www.justonecookbook.com/kinpira-renkon-lotus-root/

Its basically stir fry, then add sake/sugar/mirin/soy sauce and simmer, reduce to glaze, finish with sesame seeds and sesame oil. Sweet salty savory, very good stuff.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 9, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any kinpira recipes with Western ingredients aside from carrot? I wanna work with local stuff rather than having to go out of my way to get burdock.

Also, is the sauce always sugary? I prefer savory sauces.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Any kinpira recipes with Western ingredients aside from carrot? I wanna work with local stuff rather than having to go out of my way to get burdock.

You can use parsnip instead of burdock. Really you're going for a hard, starchy vegetable.

Lots of Japanese food has sugar added to it during cooking. It's pretty normal (mirin is sweetened) but you can cut the sugar if you want, kinpira is just a stir fry so do what you want.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anyone have any good Yakisoba recipes/tips? Every recipe I can find online says to use ketchup in the sauce (???), which ends up tasting pretty bad and not at all like restaurant yakisoba, so I'm a bit confused. I'm also not clear on how to to fry the noodles to get the right texture - any instructions there?

That said, I did end up making one last night with kimchi and korean BBQ sauce that was actually pretty good compared to my earlier efforts.

On a similar note, Omurice - any recipes that, again, don't use ketchup? This chef uses a demi-glace sauce, which I might try, but I want to see what others have done.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anyone have any good Yakisoba recipes/tips? Every recipe I can find online says to use ketchup in the sauce (???), which ends up tasting pretty bad and not at all like restaurant yakisoba, so I'm a bit confused. I'm also not clear on how to to fry the noodles to get the right texture - any instructions there?

That said, I did end up making one last night with kimchi and korean BBQ sauce that was actually pretty good compared to my earlier efforts.

On a similar note, Omurice - any recipes that, again, don't use ketchup? This chef uses a demi-glace sauce, which I might try, but I want to see what others have done.

Ketchup sounds weird and not at all like yakisoba sauce. Have you tried just using e.g. worcestershire sauce or steak sauce? Those are the most similar things I can think of. Shioyakisoba is also very good and easy, just soy sauce and salt. You want to separate your noodles before frying them, like in a colander or something, and don't overload your pan. If you take out your other ingredients, fry just the noodles with a little water and then add the other stuff back in, you get a nice noodle texture.

Beef stew over omurice has become a thing lately, a thing of which I approve.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LyonsLions posted:

Ketchup sounds weird and not at all like yakisoba sauce. Have you tried just using e.g. worcestershire sauce or steak sauce? Those are the most similar things I can think of. Shioyakisoba is also very good and easy, just soy sauce and salt. You want to separate your noodles before frying them, like in a colander or something, and don't overload your pan. If you take out your other ingredients, fry just the noodles with a little water and then add the other stuff back in, you get a nice noodle texture.

Beef stew over omurice has become a thing lately, a thing of which I approve.

Good tips, thanks. I'll try some of that next time.

I'm not kidding when I say nearly every Yakisoba recipie I look up includes ketchup. They ALSO include worcestershire, sure, but ketchup is the main ingredient. Here:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/yakisoba/
https://www.cookingclassy.com/chicken-yakisoba/
https://norecipes.com/yakisoba-recipe/

Those are the first three on a Google search. ALL call for ketchup. I made the Just One Cookbook one and didn't like it at all - it just tasted like ketchup.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pollyanna posted:

You can just omit the sugar or mirin. Its not really a sweet dish though anyway. I guess the sweetness goes best with gobo, since its kind of spicy or bitter and real earthy.

As far as I know any root veggie is suitable. Parsnip would probably be good.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Good tips, thanks. I'll try some of that next time.

I'm not kidding when I say nearly every Yakisoba recipie I look up includes ketchup. They ALSO include worcestershire, sure, but ketchup is the main ingredient. Here:

https://www.justonecookbook.com/yakisoba/
https://www.cookingclassy.com/chicken-yakisoba/
https://norecipes.com/yakisoba-recipe/

Those are the first three on a Google search. ALL call for ketchup. I made the Just One Cookbook one and didn't like it at all - it just tasted like ketchup.

A lot of things benefit from a little ketchup cooked into them, its sort of like fish sauce, you don't taste it but it brings out flavors.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's what I thought would happen, but... It just tasted like ketchup. :shrug:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I checked the Morimoto home cooking cookbook I have. It calls for premade yakisoba sauce.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you're not gonna use bottled yakisoba sauce the best bet is probably to make your own yakisoba sauce from scratch, and get it the way you like it, then use it in place.

I've never made yakisoba sauce so I have no tips

Edit: for some reason i kept typing yakitori instead of yakisoba im dumb

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 9, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Are yakitori sauce and yakisoba sauce the same thing? I tried to buy yakisoba sauce but couldn't find any, but I did see yakitori sauce. That would certainly make things easier.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Maybe sub in Bulldog sauce for the ketchup?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The JOC one uses too much ketchup. I step it down by half and also add a solid hit of brown rice vinegar. You can also just straight use Bulldog sauce.

captkirk posted:

Lots of Japanese food has sugar added to it during cooking.

Yeah and it's necessary, it's not making it sweet. When I first started making Japanese food I cut the sugar out and nothing ever tasted quite right. At some point I tried leaving the sugar again, and everything just clicked. Sugar works as a flavor enhancer like salt when it's in small quantities, and you absolutely miss it if you don't use it.

If it works for you without it, great. But I think it really is necessary if you want it to taste right.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Maybe sub in Bulldog sauce for the ketchup?

Grand Fromage posted:

The JOC one uses too much ketchup. I step it down by half and also add a solid hit of brown rice vinegar. You can also just straight use Bulldog sauce.

Is Bulldog sauce tonkatsu? gently caress yes if so, I love tonkatsu sauce. Sounds like a winner to me.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah and it's necessary, it's not making it sweet. When I first started making Japanese food I cut the sugar out and nothing ever tasted quite right. At some point I tried leaving the sugar again, and everything just clicked. Sugar works as a flavor enhancer like salt when it's in small quantities, and you absolutely miss it if you don't use it.

If it works for you without it, great. But I think it really is necessary if you want it to taste right.

Yeah, tomagoyaki and teriyaki convinced me of the necessity of sugar in Japanese cooking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is Bulldog sauce tonkatsu? gently caress yes if so, I love tonkatsu sauce. Sounds like a winner to me.

Yep. In Japanese it's just called sauce, in English I usually see it called Bulldog sauce (the most common brand has a bulldog on the label) or Japanese worcestershire.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Are yakitori sauce and yakisoba sauce the same thing? I tried to buy yakisoba sauce but couldn't find any, but I did see yakitori sauce. That would certainly make things easier.

sorry im dumb i typed the wrong word three! times, i edited it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. In Japanese it's just called sauce, in English I usually see it called Bulldog sauce (the most common brand has a bulldog on the label) or Japanese worcestershire.

Be careful about this, Bulldog also makes a worcestershire sauce (ウスターソース).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I made Chasu tonight and botched it. I followed the recipe exactly but apparently either my simmer was too strong or my weighted lid was not working correctly, sauce boiled down too much and stuff started burning. The sauce is a write off, can't marinate eggs with that but maybe I can salvage the pork, will have to taste it tomorrow.

Does anyone have a simple recipe for a mix to marinate your ramen eggs in if you don't have chaus sauce leftovers?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopper posted:

I made Chasu tonight and botched it. I followed the recipe exactly but apparently either my simmer was too strong or my weighted lid was not working correctly, sauce boiled down too much and stuff started burning. The sauce is a write off, can't marinate eggs with that but maybe I can salvage the pork, will have to taste it tomorrow.

Does anyone have a simple recipe for a mix to marinate your ramen eggs in if you don't have chaus sauce leftovers?

Aren't ramen eggs normally done in soy sauce? https://www.justonecookbook.com/ramen-egg/

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Made the curry tonight, everyone else got home too late to eat it tonight though, plus I completely botched the rice in an incredibly silly manner

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

Aren't ramen eggs normally done in soy sauce? https://www.justonecookbook.com/ramen-egg/

Thanks, I hadn't looked as I only made it once before and used the chasu sauce as per recommendation in the chase recipe. I just used normal boiled eggs before.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Just moved into Arctic Canada. I thought my choices were limited in Northern Ontario, but at least I had sticky rice, miso, and more than just the VH brand of soy sauce. All we have here is above said soy sauce and minute rice. And nobody even knows what miso is. *sigh*

Any Canadians know of any Japanese grocery suppliers that can mail shelf-stable items up North? Amazon.ca gets pretty expensive re: specialty ingredients.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

virinvictus posted:

Just moved into Arctic Canada. I thought my choices were limited in Northern Ontario, but at least I had sticky rice, miso, and more than just the VH brand of soy sauce. All we have here is above said soy sauce and minute rice. And nobody even knows what miso is. *sigh*

Any Canadians know of any Japanese grocery suppliers that can mail shelf-stable items up North? Amazon.ca gets pretty expensive re: specialty ingredients.

Isn't that part and parcel of the whole Arctic Canada deal? Twenty-dollar Doritos and hundred-dollar cases of water?

(Please do an A/T!)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

This has probably been asked before, but how long could I keep a bottle of sake for cooking? I’m guessing it’s high enough ABV to not go bad (especially in the fridge), but I’m just curious how long people would keep it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

virinvictus posted:

You could try making your own miso! It apparently takes about 30-90 days to ferment up a white miso.

Eeyo posted:

This has probably been asked before, but how long could I keep a bottle of sake for cooking? I’m guessing it’s high enough ABV to not go bad (especially in the fridge), but I’m just curious how long people would keep it around.

I've definitely had bottles of sake for cooking in the fridge for two months before. I've never tossed out a bottle of sake that I use for cooking. There's a ton of uses, quick wash with some sake and salt to help cut the fishy taste of a piece of fish, a quick soak of sake and salt before pan frying shrimp to help with getting color on the shrimp quicker, use it to deglaze pans, etc.